Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Knitting Funk? Nah . . .

My former boss (who retired last August and moved to Florida) phoned me yesterday morning. (Hi Diane!) She said she has been reading my blog and lately has come to fear for my sanity. She’s thinking about doing an intervention to remove me from the office. Who am I to argue?

She emailed shortly thereafter and said she became truly frightened when during the course of our phone conversation I said I think Donald Rumsfeld is a hottie.

Maybe I am going nuts . . .

By the way, liquid bandage works well for paper cuts, though it stings going on . . .

Knitting Funk?

Yesterday in my comments Cheryl asked if I ever go into a knitting funk, a period of time when I don’t want to pick up the needles. Never. Virtually never. I knit every single day, day in, day out. With one exception — I almost never knit on vacation. And strangely, I don’t miss it. I guess because vacation is a complete removal from my normal routine, I don’t feel the need.

Though once, years ago, on a trip to London I had a knitting jones so badly I had to run out and buy needles and yarn and start something. Don’t think I ever finished whatever it was, though.

Q&A

A couple of recent comment questions:

Am I weaving or knotting the ends in Hank 8? The answer is . . .

I’m knotting. And darn happy about it!

Is Izzy what you call a tabby cat?

Yes she is. And like T.S. Eliot’s Gumby cat, she has tiger stripes and leopard spots.

izzy apr02 Knitting Funk? Nah . . .

Ain’t she a cutie?

And I leave you with . . .

Steeky goodness!

hank apr02 Knitting Funk? Nah . . .

Note to L-B:

(fade in music) Babe. I got you, Babe. (fade out music)

Comments

1. Do you have any vacations coming up? Sounds like you need one. How about taking a day off? My trick for paper cuts (as well as for those splits I get in the winter from the dryness)is to at night rub in bacitracin into the split and cover it for the night with a bandaid. Seems to speed up healing. Hang in there! Work is busy for me as well.

2. vanessa says:

you aren’t only the steek goddess, you are our knitting goddess! hank is loverly!

3. Thanks Vanessa! ๐Ÿ™‚

Melissa, unfortunately all my cuts are in places where bandaids won’t stay — tips of fingers (and with my claw-like fingernails no bandaid would stick!) and between fingers (OUCH!) But the liquid bandage is working so far.

I have a day of leave approved for Monday . . . and keep your fingers crossed that I get to take it! I’m not going on vacation until the end of June, and that seems like a very long time from now . . .

4. Ooh, Wendy, you’re so knotty!

5. Wendy, I hate asking questions when you are so busy, but this is just a Yea or Nay. Is there any difference in knitting J or J&S – they both look the same on the shade cards but they may actually feel different when knitted. By the way a “hottie” over here is a hot water bottle! Is that what you meant?! Or am I being my usual dense self. Henry (I couldn’t possibly call him Hank – he’s much too dignified!) is looking wonderful.

6. Hi Vera,

I see no difference between Jamieson’s and Jamieson & Smith — they seem identical to me.

Here a hottie is a babe, a hunk, a good-looking guy. Yes, I know I’m insane. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Rumsfeld a hottie?! Maybe you can move up your vacation! Also, stay away from the TV, all that war stuff is enough to bring anyone down.

I know that many a day knitting has preserved my sanity. I don’t need to tell you that!

Thank goodness “I got you babe.”

8. Barbara Sylvia says:

Just discovered blogs. Love them. But, takes away from knitting time. Looking for blogs from Northern Michigan. Your blog is better than the newspaper each morning.

9. I hope Izzy gave you plenty of TLC last night to get you through the day today! Hang in there! (didn’t I write that yesterday?) What’s going on here? ๐Ÿ™

10. It’s Groundhog Day, L-B! Mhwaaa-ha-ha . . .

11. I’ll be okay,Wendy, as long as an old school chum doesn’t show up to sell me insurance. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. Izzy looks especially cute today! She looks so dainty!
    Even the steeks are beautiful on Hank! It is glorious!
    and, I had to laugh about the liquid bandaid. ladt night I got a nasty paper cut right by a cuticle that has been acting up. I went to the store and bought liquid bandaid. Looking good so far! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Wendy,
    Rumsfeld a “hottie” – well….hmmm…no comment. Henry is a please to see. I read your blog and keep hearing Duke Ellington’s “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore” in my head…I’m cheering for you – don’t let the Dragons get you down.
    -Peg

14. I say take Monday off – it’s not like the work’s going to run away ,throw itself out of a window[ if only ],or any other such drastic action.
    You’ll be back at your desk refreshed [?] and ready for action [?] on Tuesday !!!
    Shall we start lobbying ?

15. Umm..Rumsfeld?? ๐Ÿ™‚ I think you really do need to take a few days off there Wendy, I think you’re getting delirious!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Would some chocolate help? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Godiva? Ghirardelli?

Great progress on Hank!

16. Aw come on . . . don’t any of you think he’s cute?

17. Oky, just so you all know, someone who asked to remain anonymous emailed me and agreed that Rumsfeld IS a hottie. Hah! But she’s not brave enough to admit it on my blog . . .

18. My mom reminds me that he lived across the street when I was little (are you jealous?!), but he moved out bout a year after we moved in — called to DC for a job. I prefer the general that has been giving the daily press briefings, but not enough to remember his name.

19. Shannon says:

Wendy,

He’s about as cute as Ashcroft. I get to spend part of my day looking at pictures of him when our offices had the pleasure of letting him tour the building. Ok, I’m scarring myself.

On another note…I’ll have to try the liquid bandaid stuff. I’m bound to become a human papercut today. The joys of working in a file room!

Hank 8 is gorgeous!!!! And so is Izzy!

20. Okay, I was double-dog-dared to admit that I do think Rumsfeld is a HOTTIE! Doesn’t anyone see that adorable twinkle in his eyes? And his masterful commanding of the press corps? That’s very appealing! I’d race you to him.Wendy, but you’re already closer! ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Ah, thrilled I am that you mention T.S. Eliot and not Andrew Lloyd Weber for that quote! *sigh* LOOOOVE T.S. Eliot (just not his politics and ethics).

Amy, only slightly terrified that you consider Rumsfield a hottie. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. charlotte says:

Wendy, Not to pry but what exactly is your job? (besides currently overwhelming) Your knitting is extremely beautiful.

23. Amy, I read and loved “Old Possum’s Book of Practial Cats” long before Andrew Lloyd Webber got hold of it! I’m a big T.S. Eliot fan — though I would never consider him a hottie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Charlotte, my title is “Labor-Management Liaison Specialist” and I work for the government agency that regulates labor unions. What my job actually is would be hard to explain. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Robin S says:

Wendy, I’ve been having dreams of Rummie since we invaded Kuwait!!!! He has great command of himself, his words and actions and he’s just so darn cute! Now I’m wondering what’s wrong with me…I’m only early 40’s…am I losing it? Still loving your knitting and that Izzy is so cute…today it looked like she had lipstick on..hehehe. This addiction to your blog is scaring me. Keep up the fantabulous work!

25. Bill Murray crossed with Mike Myers—ala Austin Powers meets Punxatawney Phil–“Groovy Baby!”

You HAVE been working too hard! Rumsfeld, hm…must be those Grandpa glasses. Love Hank!

26. Wendy, how timely is this?

Both a hottie and erudite – what more could you want?

C

27. Gotcha beat on Rummie – met Al Haig years ago and he had to have been the most charismatic man I ever met in my life! I like a man who is’ in control’!

28. Wendy, I’m still laughing over the “poetry” in Carol’s link! I’m posting a copy on our bulletin board here! Thanks, Carol!

29. charlotte says:

Wendy, Not to belabor (pun intended) the point, is it your job, for instance, to gather and organize the underlying documentation to that lovely document you posted yesterday? It would explain the paper cuts and tedium you seem to be suffering from. It would also explain the perfect knitting in my particular universe. Also a few weeks ago, you mentioned that you have a photographic memory and I was wondering if you have a true, unrefutable photographic memory.

30. When I looked at the picture of Rumsfeld on Carol’s link I thought; – those good looks, and he can write poetry too! Isn’t it wonderful to know that he’s one of the people in charge of this war.

31. Anne and the WhiteStar sammies says:

LONG COMMENT ALERT – really a question!!

I have a question for all and since I do not belong to any of the big knit lists I thought I’d ask here…. any and all please offer opinions…. it appears that blogs are virtually unknown in my other life in the doggie world. I have been feeling the need to start a blog and asked about them on several of my doggie lists. The only response I got was “what is a blog?”.

While wildly popular in the fiber community they are unheard of in the doggie community. So now I KNOW I need to start one:)

But.. how to go about it. Sorry to clutter Wendy’s comments with this subject but… I don’t no where else to go! I am soliciting opinions on easy blog software. I checked out BlogCity, Blogger, BlogSpot and MOveable Type. I am an exprienced web designer but other than reading several blogs daily (Wendy’s first of course) I am clueless. Give me opinions!

32. Anne, have a look at this article about Blogger – I found it incredibly useful when I started my blog

I only have experience of Blogger but it works for me. I found it very easy to use but thats just MHO.

Wendy, Donald Rumsfield?! Now Patrick Stewart I could understand but not DR!

And love the latest pic of Izzy. As an owner, or rather servant, of two tabbies what can I say except Tabbies rule!

33. ooh! I LOVE Patrick Stewart! *pant, pant, drool, drool*

34. Anne and the WhiteStar sammies says:

Patrick Stewart *and* Sean Connery.

35. Have to agree with you on the Patrick Stewart thing. I was lucky enough to see him in the title role in Othello at the Folger Shakespeare Theater- on a high school field trip! Even as a teenager, I thought that man was the sexiest bald man ever. We joked with my english teacher that they’d have to restrain us from jumping the stage… and him! ๐Ÿ˜‰

At least the weather is nice here in DC … not that you probably get to enjoy it! I plan to spend a good part of the weekend under the cherry trees. ๐Ÿ™‚

36. Sean Connery? Even better! Whatta babe!

37. Now you’re talking about my kind of “hotties”!

38. Patrick Stewart, yes. Donald Rumsfeld, no.

It’s understandable, though. Remember the immortal words of Henry Kissinger (paraphrased): power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Personally, I prefer Middle Earth elves. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I do hope you take Monday off — even better, just leave today. The weather is amazing!

39. Yeah, Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart, Mel Gibson, and Harrison Ford. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I have to fess up, I kinda think Ari Fleischer is cute. ๐Ÿ™‚

40. Can we add Gregory Peck? Happy 85th to him on Saturday!

41. To quote Goldie Hawn from First Wives Club, re: Sean Connery, “He’s 300 years old, but he’s still a babe!”

To add another “older” hottie: James Garner. Ummm, yummy!

42. sean connery is a total hottie, but the only one i would be tempted to leave dh for is tom selleck… i have to say my dh has that incredibly good looking gray hair thing going, and a cary grant cleft chin to boot!

43. love james garner too and sam elliot, why is it they’re all old? the younger generation of movie stars just don’t have it. oh, i forgot about dennis quaid. i still haven’t forgiven meg for leaving him.

44. I’ve gotta add Kevin Spacey! Loved Sean Connery since high school, and Patrick Stewart rocks!

45. Oh yeah, Kevin Spacey. ๐Ÿ™‚ He’s a cutie. I forgot Pierce Brosnan too. Whatta man! ๐Ÿ™‚

It is weird about older men. I mean, I’m almost 28 and I’d rather have a man like one of them than some yahoo my age. ๐Ÿ™‚ My bf is 6 years older than me, and sometimes I think that’s not enough..LOL.

46. vanessa says:

dh is 16 years older than i am, i figure no matter how old i get, i’ll always be the younger woman ๐Ÿ˜‰

47. Rumsfeld may be a hotHEAD….
    That poetry is a hoot, has anyone seen George W. Bush’s poem ‘Make the pie higher’? I will look through my archives for it.

I have to vote for Liam Neeson as my #1 hottie. Anyone see ‘Michael Collins’?

48. Here it is, one of pazillion Google hits for it:

49. Wendy, do you think you could get Mr. Rumsfield to model Henry VIII? We’d all be able to agree he’s a hottie then.

Watch out for that big puddle, L-B ๐Ÿ˜‰

50. Hey Wendy! I’ll admit it — I think he’s a *total* hottie. Right up there with Sam Waterston. Hmmm. Sam would look pretty snappy in that Hank, doncha think?

Lolly

51. Hi Wendy, the baby sweater was too cute. Abby is a tabby with stripes and spots, too – I think it is called a “Mackerel Tabby” marking, like the fish… hope you have a relaxing Monday off!

52. No puddle,yet,Lisa! The weather is beautiful here–I wouldn’t mind if I woke up to this weather every morning! Now, if I have to do the identical work here tomorrow that I’ve had to do for three days due to computer havoc, I may come unglued!

53. I think Rumsfeld looks like a sleestack. Definitely not a hottie. I am kinda getting the heebie-geebies thinking about it. Oh well, no one made me read your blog today… : )

54. Glad to see I’m not the only one to admire Mr Stewart! Very jealous of Maeve who got see him play Othello. I studied Othello at school. And yes Kevin Spacey has a certain something too!

I definitely have a thing a thing for older men, my partner Andy is eight years older than me. I don’t see anything in the younger generation of actors.

Anyway back to my knitting!

55. Personally, I think Bob B.(a former Navy seal?)on Fox news is a cutie. But, really, my cuties are my kitties, Teakie, Soonie and Laverne. They are the real loves of my life!!….along with knitting of course.
    Beth