1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

It’s Hank, Baybeeeeee!

Here he is, in all his splendour!

hank apr23 Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

Yesterday afternoon was sunny, so I got (hopefully) better photos of my buddy Hank.

hank apr23a Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

hank apr23c Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

Here, for Caroline F, is a close up of the cast-off edge of the cuffs. I did cast off knitwise, according to the pattern directions. I agree with you Caroline, I like the look of this much better than casting off in the pattern.

hank apr23b Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

Thanks for all the Hank compliments in yesterday’s comments. I’m quite overcome with all your praise!

Yesterday in my comments, Traci mentioned that there is a Colonial Williamsburg bracelet that would look lovely with Hank. I found it online. Here’s a photo:

hankbracelet Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

The gold one was listed for $630.00, silver for $45.00. Now, I need this bracelet to wear with Hank. Silver would be much cheaper, but it would be all wrong. The gold one would be perfect. If any one of you would like to buy it for me, you can do so here.

St. Moritz

As it happens, I did cast on for St. Moritz on Tuesday night, so do not despair, Stephanie! We can have a St. Moritz cyber-knit-along! What colorway are you making?

stmoritz apr23 Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

And, I do have some Norwegian sport weight wool in a purple colorway that I also bought for St. Moritz. I may make the sweater again later this year, for my mother for Christmas, in the purple because she’s very fond of purple. Then again, I may save it for another year.

Speaking of Dale of Norway, Debbie asked in my comments yesterday: “Now I’m contemplating a Dale and some of the charts show three colors in a row. How do you handle that? What happens to the yarn on the back?”

How do I handle three colors in a row? Um, swear a lot.

No seriously. It is a bitch to do. One way of dealing with those three color rounds is to knit the round with two colors, and slip without knitting those stitches to be knitted in the third color. Then go back around again, and knit just those stitches using the third color and slip the rest.

izzy apr23 Its Hank, Baybeeeeee!

First Lace Project?

Daphne asked for suggestions for a first lace lace project. My suggestion would be to hie thee over to Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill’s page of kits and look at their shawl kits. They tell you the experience level needed for each kit, so pick one you like that’s relatively easy.

Comments

1. henry is fabulous! and that bracelet is just the right touch. can i ask of you used ebony needles for henry, and it looks like the st.moritz is on addis? i hope we see a photo of you wearing henry!

2. Stephanie says:

Yeah! St. Moritz! I’m pretty excited, which may mean that I need to get out more….but I’m unemployed while there is a SARS outbreak, and my universe is apparently shrinking every day. By next week I should have given up even pretending to care about anything other than this sweater. I’m making the “J” or sheep colourway, same as you, though at least that’s by accident and doesn’t relegate me completely to some weird “sweater stalker” category. Today is the day that I get it together, photocopy charts, (did you see how tiny that sleeve one is? What are you going to do about that?) swatch and take deep breaths. I’m already waxing neurotic about the duplicate stitch. I have concerns.

Your ribbing looks great! (then again really, why wouldn’t it?)

Steph

3. Thanks Wendy! I hadn’t seen that site before. Of course every shawl I’d want to make says either intermediate to advanced or adventurous intermediate (I’m in love with the Spider Queen). :) Oh well, maybe I’ll just jump in with both feet.

4. Wendy, love Henry VIII! It is fantastic. The gold bracelet is really perfect.

Glad to see you working on St. Moritz in ‘J’ colorway. I have chosen that one for a near-future project. As for the duplicate stitch area, I plan to use a short length to knit two-color and cut at the end of those stitches, weaving ends when the area is completed. I do not like duplicate stitch and this way the level of the stitches should be the same as the rest of the area.

I have finally begun the old Phildar cable cardigan for my husband. It took my lys 3 months to get Silja in… He’s so excited.

Have a good day!

5. Hey Wendy, I think that you have enough followers and if everyone sent you a dollar you could afford the bracelet and have some $$$ to spare. Common guys all her info is worth more than a dollar!!! (-: What book is St. Moritz in? I would like to see it.
    Have a Great Day,
    Janice

6. Thanks for the validation. So I will frog the bindoff on the St Michaels cuff! I bound off the neckband knitwise and it looks much nicer.

You’re right the bracelet would be perfect, but $600? Eek think how much yarn that would buy! Or a plane ticket to Europe or something.

7. Hey,I have a 15% discount at Williamsburg if someone else can come up with the other $535.50!

8. Henry is complete splendor! And the bracelet is stunning! They are meant for one another!

Wendy, the tip for three colour knitting is so great! I would have never thought of that! Yay!

9. Hey now . . . I like Janice’s idea of everyone sending in a dollar so that I can get the gold bracelet. And L-B has the 15% discount, so send your money to her please, so she can buy it for me. ;-)

St. Moritz is in it’s own book — if you go to http://www.yarnbarn.com and check out their Dale of Norway section, you’ll find a good photo of it.

10. Karen Berglund says:

This perhaps is a silly question, but what length needle are you using for St. Moritz? Unless my glasses really don’t work, the pattern gives the needle size, but not the length (24″, 30″ etc.).

I’m also trying to determine which size I want to knit. In my research, I’ve been told to add about 7″ for ease to my chest measurement to determine which size Dale to make. Is that a reasonable assumption in your estimation and experience with Dale’s?

11. This is about the discussion yesterday concerning cat hair. Some people do save pet hair, spin it and knit it. This link has pics to prove it: http://webs.lanset.com/potwench/fiber.htm. The possibilities are endless — add Koolaid next time you bathe your dog? ;) Boy, do I have a bad case of spring fever! Anyway, congratulations on Hank!!

12. Whoa,there, sistah! I don’t want to be responsible for all that money! I might be tempted to bid for an AS book on ebay! How about they send you the money and you can meet me in Williamsburg for the purchase and I’ll treat you to lunch at King’s Arms Tavern? :-) Oh, and hurry up,everybody, cuz they’re cutting out the discount on 2 July! :-(

13. Okay, L-B, that sounds good to me.

So everyone: send your money in before July 2. For your convenience, I do have a paypal account set up at my wendyATwendyjohnson.net email address.

L-B, maybe I’ll get enough money to treat you to lunch AND a bracelet. ;-)

But I’m not holding my breath!

14. Wendy, I don’t think you know the extent of your fanclub! I’m heading over to your Paypal account now and sending a donation on behalf of myself, Lucky, Molly and Heidi! Heck, Alex might toss in a dollar too! Come on everybody! Wendy deserves it! L-B

15. Wendy—don’t read this! (Folks,use the @ symbol, not AT when you enter the address through Paypal!)

16. Cheryl F. says:

Wendy,
    Hank is wonderful. Can’t wait to see him on a human form. Three colors in a round–you must’ve heard me swearing all the way from LA (Lower Alabama)! I was dumb enough to like the Cottage Garden Cardigan in Jamieson’s book2 and waved off the “three colors throughout” thing.
    This blankety-blank sweater has three colors in EVERY row and the colors change every 3 rows. After taking about 1 hour plus to do 3 rows, my frustration level popped.
    It’s now sitting in a bag in the corner of the room ’till it snows down here!!!

17. Hey,Everybody! Look what just appeared—a convenient button link to Wendy’s Paypal account for the Henry VIII bracelet! I wonder if Izzy did that?

18. Wendy, I agree that you need the bracelet to go with your sweater. Here’s another idea — you could barter with a jewelry artisan to make you a similar bracelet in exchange for you making her/him a Hank sweater. I doubt that the Williamsburg shop people would be amenable to such dickering, but I bet lots of jewelers could make such a bracelet just from the sweater itself (so it wouldn’t be copying the Williamsburg design).

19. Are we there yet$$$

I’m so glad you are doing St. Moritz! It will motivate me to get back to working on mine. I have about 8″ of the plain knitting on the body done and nearly all of one sleeve. And now that I “can” tie knots…. Oh Boy! (We can tie knots on Dales, can’t we, Wendy??) I’m making the purple colorway for me.

20. Thanks for the Dale tip! Actually that sort of sounds like fun and I’m going to go for it. Looking forward to seeing your next project.

21. That tip for three color knitting is SO GREAT! I have been eyeing the Cottage Garden Cardigan from Jamieson’s Book 2, but I didn’t have the slightest idea how to work 3 colors. Thanks again! I always learn something when I visit your site.

22. Another thought on 3-color-rows. I combine two methods of working with multiple colors. Some people do stranded with one color in each hand. Others put two colors in their left hand. I do three colors with two in my left hand and one in my right. Not *too* bad that way.

That said, I would not be interested in doing a whole sweater with 3-color-rows!

23. Barbara Chema says:

Wendy,

You have given so generously to all of us who read your blog. Free patterns, Knitty articles, contest prizes, and help with knitting questions. I’m pleased to be able to give something back to you with a donation. I want to see a photo of you wearing Hank and the bracelet.

24. Please tell me you are NOT soliciting donations for the Colonial Williamsburg bracelet, how so very tacky.

someone needs an ego check me thinks.

Hey feel free to forward all flames directly to my mail box and I will get back pronto. Get over yourself already.

Sheesh, some people and their lofty expectations.

25. Renee in CO says:

Sheesh, some people and their horrendous senses of humor!

Ah well, it just makes it funnier for the rest of us.

26. troiscoquettes says:

Oh please, for all of you who lag on senses of humor, let me point out 1) Wendy asked for someone to buy the bracelet (bwahahahaha); 2) a commenter said if she got $1 from everyone who reads the blog, she could well get there (and she probably could); 3) in agreement with the previous poster, either get a life or get a sense of humor, sheesh; 4) if Wendy were to ask for donations to bandwidth/disk space, how many of you would be quick to respond? She’s paying OOP right now and I’m gonna guess that she’s put more than that into the website…; 5) I’ve been in discussion groups where people gained a lot more by soliciting donations for something than a bracelet and, perhaps, under less worthwhile circumstances…

jmosvho, etc.,

-3c

27. Maybe folks should read all the comments before leaping to conclusions. Someone earlier said ”
    Hey Wendy, I think that you have enough followers and if everyone sent you a dollar you could afford the bracelet and have some $$$ to spare. Common guys all her info is worth more than a dollar!!!”

I wholeheartedly agree. And unless the dictionary has changed a lot recently, I don’t think that this qualifies as Wendy soliciting anything from anyone.

28. Thank you, 3C and Sheila. Kerry, I think you need to read the chronology and MY comments before you pass judgment on me and my motives. Hint: look for the “;-)” in my comments. By way of explanation for the non-net savvy, that means my statements are tongue-in-cheek.

To everyone else . . . thank you!

29. Whether or not the bracelet ever materializes, I’ve heard from Wendyknits readers today who are happy to find an outlet to show their appreciation to Wendy for her time and knowledge and inspiration and WONDERFUL SENSE OF HUMOR! (Oops!Was I shouting?)

30. Gee, Wendy… maybe you should put a disclaimer up. Something like, “if the thought of donating offends you, feel free not to donate”

If the blog offends, don’t read….
    (note to self: I’m responsible for my own blog reading..)

It wouldn’t be any fun if somebody didn’t whine.

31. As a dear friend said to me after receiving a rude remark, consider the source:( I, for one, am happy to have a way to express my appreciation for introducing me to my newest passion:) Furthermore, seeing Hank and that beautiful bracelet together is well worth the donation!

32. Hmmm…is it true that Izzy emailed my Lucky something about a lovely gold Williamsburg collar you’re buying for her? ;-)

33. Wendy, Hank is beautiful! I have a question for on something different. I’ve been studying the Knitty Winter ’02 issue. And I’ve cast on for my first ever toe up socks….only what do I do when I get to the heels?

Are you planning on writing an article for those too? Please?

Thanks.

34. As for the blog terrorist-
    It’s a shame you can’t block rude people with no sense of humor from reading your blog. Just consider the source Wendy.
    Thanks too for the 3 color tip and the web-site to see the St. Moritz sweater!
    Janice

35. Good Grief! I checked in late on comments and didn’t realize what was going on in the wendyknits world … now I understand why Q-Joe wants to have rules on blogging!

P.S. Thanks for the AS Wave ref for my new wool-cones!!!

36. My word, quite the flurry over on KnitFlame, eh? I say, “More power to you!”

I plan on making the Baby Norgi soon, and at the risk of sounding like a “constantly-bowing-and-extolling-her-virtues-peon,” I must say that I always enjoy your blog, and appreciate the effort it takes, seriously.