1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Isolde

Summer 1986 – April 28, 2003

izzy apr03 Isolde

Izzy was euthanized at the vet’s office this afternoon. She was found to be at the beginning of a painful and ultimately fatal illness. Rather than keep her alive and suffering, I let her die peacefully, holding her as she slipped out of consciousness.

I’m sure you will understand that I don’t feel up for blogging or talking about this or knitting or anything for a while.

To those of you who so very generously donated to the Henry VIII bracelet fund: a heartfelt thank you. I am donating that money to the Humane Society in Izzy’s memory. If any of you prefer that your money not go to that cause, please let me know, and I’ll return it to you. No problem, no questions.

Comments

1. I am so sorry. Izzy looks just like my departed Willa Catter, and I so enjoyed dropping by to see her. You were a great person to a great cat.

2. Oh, Wendy, I’m so sorry. I can’t say anything more.

Andrea and furries Gale, Taz and Retto

3. Wendy,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am. I have had to make the same decision and even though it is for the best, it is still horrible. I have so enjoyed your pictures of Izzy. Cyber hugs.

Shelley

4. Wendy, sorry. I’ve been thinking of you all day.

5. Karen Berglund says:

Oh Wendy, I am in tears….my condolences to you.

6. Oh Wendy, my heart goes out to you. May Izzy rest in peace.

Hugs,

Kitty

7. dear wendy, i’m sitting here crying for a cat i never even met, we all feel your pain. take care, vanessa

8. Wendy, I’m so sorry. I know how a cat–or dog, for that matter–can become entwined around your heart. I’ll be thinking of you, and I’ll give my Spike (age almost 20) an extra hug tonight.

9. Thank you,Wendy, for sharing Izzy with us this past year. Through her pictures, she will always remain in our hearts. And your thoughtful gesture will continue to help others like her. L-B

10. Anne and the tearful WhiteStar sammies says:

Oh Wendy I am so sorry to hear about Izzy. Tears are falling here at WhiteStar.

The one bad thing about all our fur babies is that their lives are way too short. I lost three adult dogs (14, 12 and 8) last October and thought I’d go crazy with the grief.

Thank you so much for sharing Izzy’s wonderful life with all of us.

11. Izzy was a loving and sweet fuzzy friend, as anyone can see. And your biggest knitting fan, from what I could see. I’ll miss seeing her pretty face, thanks for sharing her with all of us.

12. Wendy,
    I am in shock. My sympathies to you. Izzy was as much a part of my day as my morning coffee. Your wonderful pictures were so heartwarming. She will be missed so much by so many who never actually petted her soft fur or heard her purr in delight while curling up on one of your beautiful sweaters.

13. I’m so sorry. She will be missed.
    Hugs to you.

14. Oh Wendy, I am so so so so sorry. I’ve been thinking about you and Izzy all day and am so sorry to hear this news.

Much love.
    –Amy

15. dear wendy-

i’m so sorry for your loss. i’ve enjoyed the daily visits with you and izzy. i’ll be thinking of you. lisa

16. Wendy, I’m so very sorry your dear Izzy is gone, and so suddenly. It must be so shocking for you. Two of my dearest cat-companions died this last year, and the grief is very real. I cried when I read your post — I know it will be a long time before you’ll be able to see pictures of Izzy without crying, yourself, but know that your daily photos of her and your knitting have been very special in my life. I will always treasure them.
    Hugs,
    –Nancy

17. Annmarie says:

Oh Wendy, how sudden. I was thinking this afternoon about my cat Theda who I lost eight years ago in a similar way. For some reason I started thinking about what it was like at the vet’s when she died, how peaceful it was for her. And how supportive my vet’s office staff were, and how much that helped.

Izzy was so beautiful, so photogenic, and she certainly didn’t look her age. My Lettie (who looks very much like Izzy) is getting extra petting tonight. Oh, shoot. So are Martin and Sister. Catnip for everyone tonight.

18. I’m so sorry,Wendy. I,too, had to put down my cat a few months ago.I empathize with you at this time.

Cindy in RI

19. So very sorry dear Wendy.

20. Having been through this recently, I know how hard losing a longtime feline companion is. Your sweaters are unbelievable but Izzy has always been the star of your blog. I am so sorry for your loss. Take care and take your time.

21. Oh Wendy, I am so very sorry. God bless.

22. Wendy,

I’m so very sorry to hear about Izzy. I feel as though I knew her almost as well as my own cats through your wonderful descriptions and photos.

Having lost several cats over the years I feel your pain. Although their lives are sadly so much shorter than ours it’s such a pleasure to spend time in their company.

Much love to you during this painful time.

Marie

23. Wendy, we all felt that Izzy was a part of our lives. Everyone has stated so well how we looked forward to seeing him on your lastest work of art.

My thoughts go to your blog last week. Remember all the talk about knitting cat hairs into your sweaters? Just think in some small way Izzy will always be a part of your life and vice versa. I found that to be a consoling thought and I hope you do too.

Izzy lived a very long happy life, and that was in part because of the way you cared for him. He was loved and you could see in those pictures that he knew it.

My thoughts are with you.

24. I am so sorry about Izzy. I know this is a loss for all of us who read your blog. I am a dog person, but I had to make the same decision regarding my favorite boxer Winslow – so I feel your pain.

Hugs & Purrs

25. Dear Wendy, I, too, am looking at Izzy’s photo and tears are streaming down my face for a kitty I never knew. I have never lost a pet, so I don’t know how you feel, I have no words that could comfort you. I just wanted you to know how very very sorry I am for your loss. Izzy will be forever remembered by all of us who love your blog so much.
    Kristy in SC

26. Gosh Wendy, I can only imagine what you must be feeling. Such a sweet kitty, such a sad loss. And, yes, of course the donation to Humane Society in Izzy’s name fits perfectly. Take care of yourself. I feel blessed to have “known” Izzy for the past few months and my heart is with you both.

27. I’m so sorry to hear this sad sad news. As the owner of 4 cats who has enjoyed Izzy and all her cat-like-isms since I’ve been following your blog, I wish you many happy, fond, and loving memories of her.

Corinne

28. With heartfelt sympathy, I wish you peace and joy in your fond memories.

29. DAMN it. Honey, I’m so sorry for you. Izzy was such a sweetie, and I know that we all enjoyed seeing her on the blog, and enjoying the pictures of her little face. It was obvious that she had a hell of a lot of personality, and lots of people all over the world knew it thanks to your blog.

Take as much time off as you want. *hug*

30. Elizabeth says:

Oh, I’m sorry about Izzy.

I lost my dear old kitty-boy a few months ago, and I miss him.
    I always thought it was kind of funny (although not very flattering) that someone with a brain the size of a walnut was able to train me to do whatever he wanted. I wish he was still around to bend me to his will… and I wish Izzy was still around to charm me with her beauty and obvious good taste when it came to selecting things to lie on.

31. Wendy, I am so sorry. I have grown to love Izzy and looked forward to seeing her pictures in your blog.

My thoughts are with you.

32. I am very sorry. I’ve never posted a note but I’ve been reading your “blog” for a few months. When I first started reading I loved the knitting, of course, and I loved seeing the picture of your lovely cat Izzy as much. I’m sorry. I think you did well for her.

33. Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. Just know that you did the right thing for Izzy and let her go with dignity and love. I’m crying for you right now and know exactly what you’re going through. It brings back memories of letting Astro go last year but I knew then and I know now that it was his time and the right thing to do. May Izzy live on in your memories and your wonderful photos.

34. Jennifer says:

Wendy, we were so sad to hear your news. I know you miss Izzy, as I miss my dear Alison, my dog who died not long ago. But I also know both of them are happy where they are — in heaven, in our memories, in our hearts.
    You are a great cat owner and Izzy had a fabulous life.

35. Wendy,

I am so sorry for your loss of Izzy. I am so glad, however, that you took her to the vet so that they could diagnose this problem and you could take the best course of action for her. I know how painful it is, as I had to put down a cat that I had raised from a kitten, at age 18. I was a kid myself when he was born. It will get easier as time goes by, but I know nothing can take away the pain you’re feeling right now.

Take care and we’ll all be thinking of you.

36. Wendy, I am so sorry to hear about Izzy. She was such a wonderful friend for a lovely lady.

37. Wendy, thank you for sharing your lovely cat friend with all of us out here on the Internet. I think the hardest part about adopting a new fur person is knowing that someday I’ll have to say good-bye. My three fellas will definitely get some extra pets and attention in honor of Izzy tonight.

Peace to you.

38. Oh dear, I’m so sorry. As I clicked on the button for your blog I had this awful premonition… So many of us have been through this ourselves that nobody will blame you one bit for being quiet awhile. I had to put a kitty down in 1987 and got my girls soon after, I will give them some extra kisses tonight. We will all miss Izzy.

39. Catherine says:

Wendy, I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing Izzy with all of us. She was a good girl. I’m thankful you loved her enough to let her go.

My 5 cats will get extra kisses tonight.

40. Wendy, So sorry to hear about Izzy. I’ve been thru similar experience so can understand your pain. I so enjoyed her photos as she looks like my current furball Muffy. Though I didn’t “know” Izzy I’ll miss her cute face peering out to me from your blog.

41. I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets are sometimes our truest friends and allies, and it’s clear that Izzy was extra special. Having just gone through this experience in December, I read your post with tears and fond memories. Bless you.

42. Oh Wendy, I am so sorry to hear about Izzy. Take all the time you need to before you feel like blogging again. I know that I will be giving my little Olivia some extra hugs tonight with tears in my eyes.

43. Wendy: I am so hearbroken for you. Izzy was such a lucky cat to have shared her life with you. Please take a break from your blog for as long as you need to recover from your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you

44. Elizabeth says:

Wendy, Just wanted you to know that I’m thinking about you and how sorry I am for your loss of Izzy. I know it is no consolation to you, but I have had to put down 3 of my beloved dogs. It leaves an empty space in your heart, but just know that you did the right thing for Izzy. You will never forget her, but as time goes by the pain will subside and you will remember with love all the joy she brought you over the years. We will all miss her.

45. Oh Wendy,
    I was gone all day and just got home and don’t know why I had to check your blog befor I go to bed and I never do that–(only in the A.M. I’m so sorry. Hugs to you and take care.
    Jnaice

46. Sue Denham says:

Dear Wendy
    It is always hard to lose someone who has shared so much of your life. Sincerest condolences for your loss.

47. Wendy
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how much a cat can mean to you. Like someone said before, we’ll all miss her.

48. Wendy, so sorry to hear about Izzy. From your posts and photos, this was one awesome cat. I know how it feels to lose a pet and to have to euthanize one. It’s not an easy thing you had to do. My condolences to you.

49. Nathalie says:

Au revoir jolie Izzy.
    Courage Wendy.

Amities
    Nathalie

50. I am so sorry to hear about Izzy. I would always look forward to seeing the daily Izzy picture when I would visit your site. You’re in my thoughts….

51. Good-bye sweet kitty.

Wendy, a beautiful gesture — donating your bracelet fund to the Humane Society in honour of Isolde.

All the best to you during this time.

52. Lola Lee says:

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about that. I certainly understand.

53. Wendy – I was so, so sorry to hear your sad news. Take care.

54. I am so sorry. I ‘ve been reading your blog for some months and we all enjoyed seeing her on the blog. Izzy will be remembered by all of us. I am sure she ‘ll wait for you at the other side of the rainbrow bridge.

55. Wendy, I am so very sorry. We will all miss Izzy.

56. Oh Wendy, I am so sorry. This is just too sad for words. I’m afraid that there is nothing we can say to comfort you. We all will miss Izzy.

57. Izzy will be missed by all. My sympathies.

58. Wendy..from one kitty mom to another..my deepest condolences. In Izzy’s memory I just went to the animal rescue site and clicked so they can get free animal food. Others can too at:

59. Lubna Bazzy says:

I cry for Izzy, I’m so very sorry for this loss of a beautiful and precious friend. We all loved her and have greatly enjoyed seeing her face everyday! I will miss her!! Please take care Wendy and know that Izzy is watching over you. You will see her again!

60. Wendy,
    I’m so sorry to learn of Izzy’s passing. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Beth

61. Sending a cyber hug. So sorry to hear about Izzy. Purl

62. Wendy… my condoloences go out to you. May Isolde’s spirit find rest and peace, and may you find peace within yourself.

63. I’m so sorry.

64. Dear Wendy, I am so sorry about your loss. You and Izzy were lucky to have each other.

65. Wendy, I’m so sorry to hear about Izzy. What a good mom you were to her. I’ll miss seeing her every day.

66. Wendy…
    I’m so sorry to hear about Izzy. She will be missed terribly, but will be forever remembered by all of us. Sincerest condolences to you. Take
    as much time as you need. Sending you a big cyber *hug*.

67. Oh Wendy! Words can’t express how sorry I am to hear about the loss of sweet little Izzy. It is always so hard to lose a much loved pet and Izzy was DEFINITELY loved!

I know it was a tough decision to make, but you did the right thing by not letting her suffer. I will miss all the beautiful pictures of Izzy’s antics each day. She has definitely become a part of our lives.

Take as much time as you need to mourn the loss of your sweet kitty. We are all here for you if you need us.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} from me to you!

–Kristin

68. I’m so sorry about Izzy! No matter how old she was getting, it doesn’t make any difference in how you feel.

69. Oh, Wendy. I knew as soon as I saw Izzy’s face what the words of your blog were going to say. I’m so sorry. I know those three stupid words don’t help much but I hope it helps to know so many around the world are here for you. Izzy had a very good life with you. A good life is all any of us can ask for. She was a lucky kitty. Debbi

70. Wendy, my heart aches for you. I know how much you loved Izzy. What a beatiful little creature she was. I’ll miss seeing her pictures every day. Her loss truly leaves a hole. I am more sorry than I can say.

Barbara

71. So sorry to hear of your loss. We’ll all miss Izzy.

72. I’m so sorry.

It really hurts to lose a companion animal. Every one has a unique personality and unique qualities.

Like someone else said, I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes for a cat I never actually met. Part of it is I know how you feel, part of it is thinking back over the ones I’ve lost.

The only other thing I can say is she had a good, long life, spent it with someone who cared deeply for her, and was not allowed to suffer as that life ended.

73. Wendy, I’m so sorry for your loss. I visit your blog every morning and now I’m trying not to cry as I sit here at my desk. Thank you for sharing Izzy with us- you were obviously a wonderful Mom to her.

74. I visit your blog every morning and my kids just love seeing Izzy – we will miss her terribly.

75. you and izzy are very much in my thoughts. i know she thanks you for all that you gave her, and that she is well now. please know that you did right by each other and still do!

76. So sorry to read about Izzy…. I’ve been there too. Thinking of you.

77. Wendy,
    I am so so sorry. So sorry.
    Hugs to you and your husband, and Izzy.

78. Margaret says:

Izzie had such a “good kitty” look in her eyes, even through the digital camera. We will all miss
    her little face. Thank you for letting us know. Take extra good care of yourself.

79. I’m so sorry Wendy. So sorry.

80. Wendy….my heart aches for you. I’m so very sorry. Selma

81. Wendy, we are all thinking of you, and Izzy will be remembered fondly by many, many people. She lives on in your blog.

82. I can’t offer much more than has already been said. I’m so sorry for your loss.

-gg

83. My condolences to you, Wendy.

84. Wendy,
    I am so sorry to hear about Izzy’s death. Thank you for sharing her life with us through all of your pictures and stories. I will miss her.
    -Leslie

85. Wendy, I’m so very sorry, I’ll be thinking of you…..
    xo

86. so sorry to hear about your loss….*hugs*

87. Wendy, I can not tell you how sorry I am to hear about izzy. She was such a part of your blog I feel like I have lost a friend as well. My thoughts and prayer are with you.

88. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for your loss. Words can’t express how sad I feel for you today.

89. My heart is with you.

90. oh wendy-

you have shared izzy with us and now we share your grief- know that izzy will live on in the memories of people around the world-

our beloved companions will be reunited with us someday- i love the rainbow bridge story and think of it when i am most missing some of my furry friends-

thank you for allowing a little bit of your girl to reach into our lives-
    barb

91. Izzy will be missed by all your loyal blog readers, but she will never be forgotten. Thank you for sharing her with us each day. Hugs to you, Wendy.

Jen and kitties, Kismet and Lilybelle

92. Oh Wendy, I’m so terribly, terribly sorry. There just aren’t words for it. Take care of yourself.

93. Barbara Sylvia says:

So sorry.

94. Wendy,

I stayed with my Sheltie when he was put down 2 years ago. It is a very hard thing to do, but the kindest thing for a very good friend…My thoughts are with you.

Dianne

95. Wendy, I enjoyed seeing Izzy’s picture everyday when I checked on your knitting progress. I was impressed that she accepted having her picture taken with so much dignity and calmness.

I hope your wonderful memories of her will give you some solace. My condolences on your loss of Isolde.

Diane owned by Cleo and Gus

96. I am so sorry, Wendy. Izzy had a life full of love & was a blog superstar. Take care of yourself.
    love, Jillian

97. Wendy, many many hugs coming your way. I know you did the right thing and Izzy will always be with you … laying on your knitting and waiting for you to come home. Her spirit is a part of you and always will be. Rest, remember and celebrate Izzy’s life :)

98. Oh Wendy. Thank you for sharing so many pictures of adorable Izzy with us. She will be missed dearly.

99. Wendy, you are in our thoughts with your recent loss. While I can’t know how you feel, I can appreciate your grief, as I don’t know what I’d do without Connor.

We’re fortunate to have our companions for the time they’re with us, and Izzy was definitely a special part of your family.

100. Wendy, I am sorry for you and your loss. You and Izzy have become a part of my daily routine and she will be missed greatly. Hugs and tears.

Trackbacks

1. adnohr blog says:

Sad Week II

Over here: Wendy Knits!, Wendy is mourning Isolde, Izzy to her fans….