1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Isolde

Summer 1986 – April 28, 2003

izzy apr03 Isolde

Izzy was euthanized at the vet’s office this afternoon. She was found to be at the beginning of a painful and ultimately fatal illness. Rather than keep her alive and suffering, I let her die peacefully, holding her as she slipped out of consciousness.

I’m sure you will understand that I don’t feel up for blogging or talking about this or knitting or anything for a while.

To those of you who so very generously donated to the Henry VIII bracelet fund: a heartfelt thank you. I am donating that money to the Humane Society in Izzy’s memory. If any of you prefer that your money not go to that cause, please let me know, and I’ll return it to you. No problem, no questions.

Comments

1. Wendy,
    So sorry for the loss of such a sweet,sweet kitty. You are in my thoughts.

2. Renee in CO says:

I’m so sorry. Izzy will be sorely missed.

3. Sweet, beautiful kitty. Izzy will be missed by so many…I am so, so sorry, Wendy. Words cannot express the pain I feel for you.

4. Wendy — thank you for sharing your life and space with Izzy for so many years. She was truly a lucky feline. And thank you again for knowing how and when to let go. It’s so important the we remember that they are not here for us, but it is within our power to make their departure dignified and painless. You did that.

5. Oh Wendy!!! I am so sorry for your loss. I’ve told you how much beautiful Izzy looks like my Kitty-Poo (who gave up about a year after her beloved – and my – Nick had to be euthanized). My thoughts are with you. Izzy will be missed the world over; certainly in this part of the Rockies.

6. I am so sorry for your loss. I’m half in tears just reading about Izzy.

7. I am so sorry, Wendy. I can’t express how much in words.

Goodbye, dear Izzy. We’ll miss you.

8. I’m not sure what I can add to everything that’s already been said. Thanks so much for sharing Izzy.

9. I am so sorry, please know that you have all my sympathies.

10. Oh, Wendy, I had to go straight into a meeting with tears in my eyes for our sweet Isolde. What a beloved feline! In October I had to put down Rosacoke who would’ve been 16 this month, and we still miss her, but the warm memories remain. Your blog family will never forget Izzy. I’m honored for our contributions to remember her as well.

11. I am so sorry for your loss.

My morning look at Izzy, and your knitting, was such an enjoyable visit every day. What a thoughtful tribute to Izzy’s memory you’ve planned.

12. Oh, to be a kitty in the Summerland… .
    Thank you for being so unselfish and doing what had to be done for Izzy.

13. I’m so sorry for your loss. My daughter and I have loved seeing Izzy’s pictures since DD’s kitty, Sugar, looked just like Izzy and passed away some years ago. Thank you for sharing Izzy’s life with us.

14. Susan Willis says:

Wendy-I’m so sad that Izzy is gone, and send my sincere condolences. Her beautifully expressive face, playful ways, and appreciation of fine textiles will be keenly missed. Losing such a special companion is so hard, I hope you are taking care of yourself.
    Susan and the three kitties that supervise me

15. Stephanie says:

Dear Wendy,
    I can barely find the words to express my profound sympathy for the loss of your friend Izzy.
    It has been three weeks since Joe and I held our cat Roxy as she died. She was with us for 19 years, and the news of Izzy’s passing has restored my grief.
    I can tell from the many messages here that you have the sympathy of friends around the world, and I know from experience that it is small comfort in the first days of such big loss. I know that I was shocked at the depth of my sadness for the loss of a pet, and even now feel the absence of Roxy very keenly.
    I hope in the coming days, it may comfort you to know that your small friend had such a large impact in the world.

16. I’m so very sorry for your loss.

17. I’m so sorry for your loss; Izzy’s photos always brightened my day.

18. Wendy…I’m so sorry. Losing a member of your family is so difficult. I lost my Black Lab last year and I still cannot talk about her. Your Izzy reminds me of my Lucy. I hope your memories of her bring you some comfort. Take care of yourself.

Bridget, Lucy and Desi (Knitting supervisors)

19. What a sad day… I’m so sorry to hear about Izzy. She had a long and happy life with you, and now she’s not in pain anymore. Take care.

20. Wendy, I’m so sorry. A cat like Izzy is an irreplaceable companion and friend. Take care of yourself and we’ll be thinking of you.

21. Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

-Author unknown-

Wendy, trust that your beloved Izzy will be there to greet you someday.

My deepest condolences.

Keiko

22. Wendy – very sorry to hear about Izzy. I know you loved her very much. Lots of hugs and coping vibes to you!

23. God bless Izzy. There are many cats at shelters in need. I hope you can open your heart again to one that needs your love and affection.

24. God that sucks Wendy! I’m really sorry. Goodbye Izzy.

25. Wendy, my thoughts are with you as your grieve for Izzy. She was a delightful model for your splendid knitting. I can’t imagine how you must feel today.

She had a good life with you, and thanks to your thoughtful intervention, a good death.

Cheryl

26. My heartfelt sympathy, Wendy. It’s hard to loose a friend that’s been around as long as Izzy. I’m going through much the same with my old man Ben. He’s been with me for 15 years and is in the last stages of kidney failure. My own decision is coming soon.

27. Oh, Wendy, I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ll miss her beautiful face…

28. Dear Wendy, I am so sorry you lost your Izzy. She was such a treasure, and you shared her with a whole cyber community. I enjoyed her photos as much as your knitting pictures. I’ve lost loved pets, dogs and cats over the years, and still can’t believe how much pain there is. Please accept my sincere sympathy, and know many of us hold that sweet littly kitty in our hearts.

29. Patricia says:

Wendy, I’m so sorry. My condolences,
    Patricia in Boston

30. Dear Wendy, My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved companion and good friend. Thank you for sharing her with all of us. May you be comforted by your many wonderful memories of her.

31. My sincerest condolences and wishes for the healing of your heart. Know that you did the right thing for her. She will be missed by so many.

My Shadow and Beatrix send head butts and licks.

32. Wendy, I am so sorry. Take care.

33. Wendy, I am so sorry. All my best wishes and soft kitty kisses from my furbabies I’m sending to you. Long live Izzy; we won’t forget her.

34. Wendy,
    I am so sorry to read about your sweet Izzy. I am weeping as I write this. You must be heartbroken although I can see from the 100+ comments that so many people out there share your pain. How fortunate you are to have had such a wonderful companion for so long! I will miss seeing Izzy’s beautiful face on your blog. We love our kitties at our house too, there is nothing quite like a cat in your lap.

35. Wendy,

I sincerely share your loss.

Ana

36. troiscoquettes says:

Izzy was ‘real’ to us all, as a personality, even though this is ‘just’ the internet (and ‘just’ the internet is as much real life as my real life, fwiw, but there are people who don’t feel the same way sometimes).

Know that she is missed. And please feel no need to apologize about giving the bracelet fund to the Humane Society in her memory — I can’t think of a kinder gesture and I think everyone would agree that donations were a gift to you to do with as you choose, we’re only sorry that it couldn’t come at a joyful moment.

Izzy will be missed by a whole lot of people.

-3c

37. Wendy, I am so sorry. I now she will be greatly missed.

Janet

38. Here’s to you, Izzy. You were one fine little furball. Treats for my stripey-faced Ozzy in your honor.

39. Ohhh Wendy I’m sorry you’ve lost your kitty… but I’m sure she’s got beautiful gossamer wings and she’s off chasing after birds in kitty heaven. We all love her so much.. we will all sorely miss her.

40. Wendy, It is a sad day in the knitting world….. My aching heart and tears goes out to you…. I have been looking at my Sam and thinking of Izzy as he looks so much like her. I cannot imagine losing Sam or Maggie, but I know I will eventually. She was lucky to have such a fabulous mum who cared for her the way you do…. I have enjoyed reading your blogs for the past year and it was such a pleasure to keep track of Izzy and her comings and goings…. She shall forever be remembered as the Granddame Kitty of the Knitting World in my world.

Rose, Sam, and Maggie

41. We all loved Izzy. You gave her the best life a cat can hope for, and she will always be with you in spirit. {{{{{{{{{{many hugs to you}}}}}}}}}}

42. My condolences. It was a long and beautiful relationship, and I know you will always miss her. We’ll miss her too.

43. Wendy,
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know my kids will be too (at work right now, will share the news with them tonight). I don’t usually share the blogs I read with my kids, but I always showed them your site just for Izzy’s picutres. She was as close to them as the cats their father had. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing Izzy’s life with us all. Love always – Josée, Carole & Patric

44. So sorry to hear about Izzy.

45. Wendy: Cats and knitting seem to go together. One without the other isn’t quite right.
    My condolences on your loss.
    Your donation to the humane society will help a few more kitties to have the wonderful life that Izzy had.
    Take care of yourself,
    Joslyn

46. aw wendy
    if you get to this email… please accept my deep felt sympathy for you … i know it will be awhile before you can talk about it or hear from anyone else that they have been where you are – but when you can – know that there are those of us who share your pain. my two wonderful cats were 13.5 and 16.5 when i lost them. miranda in october 1999 and emma in feb 01. i still havnt replaced them – they were with me thru many life changes and crisis here in nyc and it is only now – two years later — that i am beginning to consider getting some kittens.

please take comfort in the joy and delight many of us took in izzy’s adventures and photos. not many cats can bring that much love to so many people.

thank you for sharing her with us.
    my deepest sympathy for you.

47. I am so sorry to hear about Izzy.

Hugs…

48. Wendy — I’m so sorry about Izzy. You were so brave to let her go before she felt too much pain. My thoughts are with you.

49. Oh Wendy, I’m horribly sorry. Thank you for being so generous to open yourselves up to us.

50. Oh, Wendy, I’m so so sorry. You should be proud that you gave her such a wonderful life.

51. Catherine says:

Dear Wendy,
    I am so sorry about Izzy. We all shall miss her.
    Catherine (Brussel)

52. Wendy,
    I’m so sorry to hear about Izzy. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

53. Wendy, I am so, so sorry. I too have tears in my eyes. Hadrian, one of my kitties, was on my lap as I read the news, and he doesn’t understand why Mommy was hugging him so hard.

Judy and kitties Hadrian, Trajan and Shiva

54. Wendy, what impresses me in all these emails is how you have managed to involve so many people in your life. We all feel a personal loss. Before your blog I would never have thought that we could all be so connected even though we’ve never met.

I know that this is all due to you and how you’ve opened your life to all of us. We all laugh together and now we’re crying together. I hope you feel the “collective” hugs you’re receiving from all of us. I’m proud to know you.

55. Wendy,

I read your blog everyday but really haven’t made any comments until now. My heart goes out to you. Izzy so reminded me of my cat (Felix) who loves my knitting also. Tonight I will give him an extra big hug in memory of Izzy (and I just might put out my project so he can lay on it). You are in my thoughts.
    -Mary

56. Wendy, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

57. I’m so sorry. Losing a pet is the worst thing in the world next to losing a child. Hang in there.

58. Izzy was special, Wendy, and so are you. We know your pain and wish that we could ease it.

59. I am so sorry to hear about Izzy. She was such a beautiful cat who had a wonderful life. I hope you find comfort in knowing that so many people are keeping you in their thoughts.

-Diane

60. We will miss Izzy too. May all the loving memories comfort you.

61. Cheryl F. says:

Wendy,
    So sorry for your loss. She will be missed. I know nothing adequate can be said at a time like this. Amazing how a ball of fur can become a part of your family. Bless you, Izzy on that rainbow bridge. Wendy you are in my prayers.

62. My condolences to you. I’ve read alot of your blogs and enjoyed the pics of Izzy. I’m so sorry that she is gone.

63. Dear Wendy,
    My thoughts are with you during this sad time. I so enjoyed seeing the pictures of Izzy in your blog; it was obvious how special she was to you. I wish we could keep them forever, but Izzy had a long, happy life with you. Take care.

64. kitty winks and warm wishes to you and Izzy. We’re all very sorry.

Genia, Roscoe & Felix (the dynamic furry duo)

65. Catherine says:

Wendy……I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Catherine

66. Elisabeth says:

Wendy–
    I’m so sorry about your loss. Your blog has become one of my favorite reads in the evening, and I have enjoyed hearing about Izzy and your beautiful knitting. Take care.
    Elisabeth
    Ursula (Rottweiler)
    Georgia & Sydney (cats)

67. I’m away for the week and actually snuck onto your site just to see how Izzy was doing. I’m so sorry she is gone. My deepest condolences.

68. Wendy,

I am so very sorry for your loss; what a lucky kitty Izzy was to have had you. May your wonderful memories help you through this most difficult time.

All the best to you,
    Janet

69. hearing about izzy made me cry…condolences from squeaky, kinichi, and me…you’ll be in our thoughts

cheryl

70. I know this is a tough time for you and your husband so I hope that you all know that you are remembered and being sent good thoughts. Izzy always seemed at least to me, to add a dignified ladylike presence (ok we’ll ignore the dancing for treats *s*).

Further words fail me, just know that you are being remembered.

71. Oh, Wendy, I am so sorry about your loss! We will all miss Izzy and remember her for the joy brought to you and to us through this blog.

72. How terribly sad… We’ll all miss her.
    Furry hugs from “Norgi land”

Take care, Wendy!

73. Very sorry Wendy for your loss. She was clearly one spunky gal. I am so glad that Izzy had the chance to finish her last work, and you will have Hank and all of Izzy’s carefully donated furry contributions to remember her by.

74. Carol from RI says:

Wendy,
    I am so very sorry…thank you for sharing her with us. I do not know what more to say, except be gentle with yourself…

75. Goodbye, dear Izzy. I will miss your beautiful face and seeing you curled up sleeping on Wendy’s amazing knitting. Jane

76. Wendy, I’m so glad that the two of you got the time you did to touch each others’ lives. Thank you for sharing her with us, too! I’m really going to miss seeing your kitty! I’m sure that all your loyal blog readers love cats as much as knitting. You’re so strong for doing the right thing. Your love really lit up her life. : )

77. Nathalie in Australia says:

just read your sad news – although a dog lover, i came to admire izzy’s handsome face & other qualities. your loss is just awful and my heart goes out to you. big fat hugs.

love nathalie

78. Melanie says:

Dear Wendy,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Izzy was a part of all of your readers’ lives and we will all miss her very much. She was a well-loved friend.

Love,
    Melanie

79. many prayers of gratitude for the tangible love we all felt for izzy, from you.

i well remember the touching communion i had with my cat ursullaemma(cutefaceloveofmylife=long name) when i had her in my arms putting her to sleep at the vet’s.

i’m am truely sorry for your loss.
    blessings/nicole

80. Wendy — I’m so sorry for your loss. I found myself crying as I read your post about Izzy passing on. It sounds like Izzy had a wonderful life with you.

Trackbacks