1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Gag Me

Wait — no need. Knitter’s magazine has taken care of that already.

I got the summer issue in the mail the other day, shrinkwrapped with a card that warned me that I only have one issue left.

Only one more issue of this drech! Yay!

Yeah, this issue was a real stinkeroo. There is absolutely nothing of interest in it for me. Even designers that I used to like, like Kathy Zimmerman and Norah Gaughan, managed designs that made me go “eh.”

I’d like to blame it on the fact that it’s a summer issue. But it seems to me to be simply the next progression in the downward spiral that is Knitter’s.

I asked Lucy to hack up a hairball on it but she couldn’t muster the interest.

Yeah, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Though it seems to me that all knitting magazines are getting crappier and crappier. Or maybe I’m gettng pickier and pickier? Could be . . .

Mouse-along Gallery

We are up to three pages! By gosh and golly, those kitties are cute! If you’d like to send me a photo but don’t have a digital camera, email me — you can snail mail me a photo and I’ll scan it and post it. Enclose a SASE if you’d like your photo returned.

Roscalie

You haven’t seen Roscalie in its full glory for a few days, so here it is.

roscalie 052703 Gag Me

I’ve got a few inches until the back neck shaping.

Spent some time last night winding more skeins into balls as I was running short on everything. Confession: I’m not fond of winding yarn into balls, even with my swift and ball winder. So when I start a project I always wind just enough to get me started.

I’m not looking forward to winding the balls for Marina — I think it’s 21 different colors?

Lucy Sez

lucy052703 Gag Me

Mmmmmmm! Dinner!

Comments

1. i’m with you. did you notice how everything in knitter’s this month has a boring allover textured pattern? no arans or anything (i suppose they think their readers couldn’t handle that), just boring stitch patterns that i would die if i had to work that many times. ecch.

i did look twice at the domino knitted socks, but mostly to covet the lorna’s laces yarn… they look cool but wouldn’t all those seams be uncomfortable?

2. vanessa says:

i must be wierd, i like winding all those little balls, kinda puts me in a zen thing…

3. Hi Wendy,

My son (4 yo) is on my lap and when he saw the photo of Lucy he said “is that a beaver?” She has some tail!

Roscalie is gorgeous. The vest version is on my wish list. Just waiting form VY to start selling it again (yarn out of stock).

4. Kristin says:

UGH! Knitters mag. The continual “dumbing-down” of all knit mags has induced me to let all my subscriptions lapse until they start putting out better designs. I think it borders on insulting how they assume their readers can’t handle intricate patterns. Not everyone likes chunky yarn & size 11 needles (ACK!)

Miss Lucy is just gorgeous! Look at how silky her coat is. You take such good care of her. I’ve finished my catnip mousie but everytime I catch the cats playing with it, all I get are blurry pictures…DRAT!

5. Ditto on Knitters, but I did see a glimmer of hope in a little corner—they’re finally publishing a book of their Celtic & Aran knits. If it’s popular, do you think it will send them a message? Nope,probably not. :-(

6. L-B, I saw that! I’ll probably buy the book, even if it is fraught with errors like all their books.

Vanessa, can I send all my skeins of wool for you to wind into balls? I’m thinking only of aiding you in your quest for inner peace ;-)

7. Marina? Marina? You’re doing Marina soon?

P.S. I share your opinions on Knitters and winding wool into balls. Woof.

8. Valerie says:

Hi all,

I am with you Wendy, got my Knitters yesterday. Also received a directory with it for knitting stores. Did you get that as well? I will be travelling this summer so that might be helpful.
    The only real knitting magazine I have left since I stopped all other subscriptions is “Interweave Knits” but I understand they are changing editors–so that might be a short lived subscription as well ;0(( Do you get any other mags? Recommend any? My darling Marty says hi to Lucy–right now he is starting at the hummingbird out my kitchen window and licking his lips– Valerie in NH

9. I did get the StoreFinder, but haven’t looked in it yet.

The only other knitting magazne I currently swubscribe to is Interweave Knits. And lately I’ve been underwhelmed by that, too. Though not to the extent that Knitters underwhelms me!

Lisa, I do have all the wool for Marina and it is on my “to-do” list — though I’m not sure when.

10. Barbara says:

The only knitting magazine I subscribe to is Cast On, and that only because it is sent as part of my TKGA membership. As for the others, I check them out at the local bookstore, and if there is something I would knit then maybe I’ll buy it. Apparently none of us are the market the editors are aiming for.

11. I have all of the Knitters back issues, but I’ll probably get the book anyway to save wear and tear on those favorite designs. Okay,I’m with Vanessa—I love yarn winding! Forward those precious skeins to me whenever you want! Take a gander at Wabi Sabi today!

12. ” I asked Lucy to hack up a hairball…”

Wendy, you crack me up! Thanks for my first good chuckle of the day and BTW I’m in total agreement with you! Knitter’s sucks!

13. The new editor for Interweave Knits is one of the designers who were profiled in “Knitting in America”. I can’t remember name, but she’s been knitting for years, and her designs lean more towards the traditional, classical style. So, we’ll have to see how the fall issue comes out.

And maybe it’s time to start up a new magazine, devoted to classical, traditional knitting?

14. Have to agree with everyone about Knitters. The new editor of Interview Knits is going to be Pam Allen, curious because in an recent issue of INKnitters she was interviewed and indicated she was going to go to nursing school. Guess the lure of redesigning a magazine got to her. By the way, check out INKnitter. There are 8 issues so far and I think it is pretty good,lots of articles and patterns.

15. I love your blog! I really get a very good feeling when I can look at your work, but today I noticed that it is the cat that does it! The way Lucy is lying around is lovely.

16. Can’t even get the name of the magazine correct.
    Of course I mean Interweave Knits. Sorry.

17. Wendy, you are obviously not alone in your opinions. I have let all of my subscriptions lapse as well. It’s a shame really. The mags are lovely to look at but the content just kills my interest. Oh my god and Cast On – who picks those patterns?! Horrible! It’s the only mag that makes me shriek in horror. The others just make me go quiet with disgust but Cast On truly makes me want to hurl. ANYway…

Roscalie is beautiful and you restore all my faith in knitting. I’m feeling the need to lemming it’s loveliness. :)

18. Gwen, I’ve tried unsuccessfully a couple of times to subscribe to INKnitters. For some reason, they will not respond to me. Go figure.

Barbro, Lucy is getting very good at lying around in languid poses for the camera!

19. Add me to the rest of the knitters who is really disgusted with Knitters. I pride myself that I have all (except one) of their issues. I let my subscription lapse and it is really bothering me that my collection will no longer be complete. I do realize that there are many new knitters now and that is wonderful. But if you look back at old issues of the magazine there is a beautiful range of patterns for knitters of all skills.

I wrote to KnitU many months ago, stating my opinion. I wrote it in a positive voice asking them to look at their prior issues and try to adapt the patterns for all ages and interests.It wasn’t published. I wrote again stating that I was disturbed that my voice wasn’t heard. Rick wrote me back a letter in a very arrogant and defensive tone. I am sure that many knitters are writing. It is truly a shame that this wonderful magazine’s new editor and staff aren’t listening.

GRRRR…I know I wrote a “book” but it does feel good to get it off my chest.

I would much rather have a subscription to Wendy’s Blog than any of the current published magazines. Thank you Wendy for keeping me and others inspired.

20. Roscalie is looking so incredible!
    And here’s a “me too” about Knitters – it’s garbage.

21. Catherine says:

Every time a new Knitter’s comes in the mail I ask myself, “Why, again, do I get this magazine?”

Oh, yeah. It used to be good.

22. I have recently returned to knitting after an absence of several years while I quilted, cross stitched, went to school, etc. Early in my return, I learned to do stranded knitting, and that is becoming an obsession. The knitting magazines I have seen don’t speak to this type of knitting much, if at all. I pick up Interweave Knits at my local yarn store, but haven’t put down cold hard cash for any other magazines recently. I used to love Vogue Knitting, does anyone have any thoughts on that one?

BTW, I’m looking at doing Marina myself–of course it will take you three weeks and me six months, but that’s ok. I look forward to watching you do that one!

My aged Mr. Spike says hello to Miss Lucy.

23. Hi Wendy,
    I’m certainly enjoying the kitty gallery – its nice to know there are so many kitties getting such TLC.

As for the mags – I desperately needed a fix yesterday and it was too hot (102F) to spend 3 hours in the car to Sedona and back(closest lys)so I went to B & N and only found 3 patterns (2 mags) that even interested this relatively new knitter. IK had one sock pattern I’m now knitting (had some Koigu in my stash) and one lace stole that looks challenging. Knit in Style had one tank (Svale ordered) that I’d wear – but for the most part I was uninspired and not willing to spend the $s for a subscription.

24. I am a fairly new knitter,27 yo, city girl. And if anyone thinks for a second that I’m knittin’ a “peek-a-boo” skirt and tank- I mean who knits this S***?? I love the knitting that you do, Wendy- intricate, thought provoking and what I consider timeless. It won’t look you fell into the fad wagon 10 years from now. I also know, to each his/her own, but I am dissapointed b/c the magazines currently out right now, seem to appeal to only group of knitters. Anywho, I know no one asked me but…just my opinion.

BTW, Roscalie is breathtaking, and Lucy is beautiful!!

25. Cheryl F. says:

Ditto on the Knitter’s comments. Haven’t gotten mine in the mail yet, but the photos on the web were enough to make me nauseous. IK may not have things I want to knit, but at least they show some creativity and thought. Ptewie…must go and get this bad taste out of my mouth!
    On a brighter note, Lucy and Rosecalie–the darlings of the blog world!
    Wendy, I’m still of the opinion that you knit so fast because you get the collective energies of all of us that want to sit down to knit and can’t get around to it as often as we want. So, I won’t feel bad if I don’t get to knit, that’s just more energy for you!!

26. I agree–AWFUL as usual, just the worst. Lucky you to only have one issue left; I wonder if I can just dump the rest of my subscription.

27. I don’t know, I think Pam Allen is the person who wrote the ‘Knitting for Dummies’ book and that’s one book I haven’t bothered to buy – didn’t ‘do’ anything for me. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for IK.

28. It’s so sad, isn’t it? Gerry pulled out a BAM bag from my UFO basket and in it was Summer 2002′s Knitters. Yep, in a bag for a year and I never even missed it.

I think Knitter’s is in big fat trouble from those upstarts at Knitty! :) uh huh, they don’t pay you, but so many people love it and the editors include such a diversity of items and levels of experience that it appeals to many, many knitters. And designers are falling over themselves to submit to Knitty! Wh-y-y-y is that? :) Wh-y-y-y-y not Knitter’s??? hmmmm? There’s only so much crap people will put up with, IMHO!
    geane
    Living on the edge :) Oh NOOOOO I’ll piss off XRX!! That means I’ll NEVER make ‘Knitter of the Year’ and win all that Lion Brand yarn!! Oh GGOOOOOODDDD!!!! NOOOOO!

meow.

29. Me too on the magazines. I never subscribed to Knitters but I’m in my 2nd year of IK and the last issue was so useless to me that I may not renew this time. I said exactly the samething about the peekaboo skirt – who WEARS this stuff? When I saw the cover and it said ‘Special Occasion Issue’ my heart sank, I don’t HAVE special occasions anymore! Everyone’s comments today are so much fun to read! I agree with Lola that maybe there is a market for a new magazine if someone had the capital to get it off the ground.

30. I agree about Knitters. Got mine yesterday with the one more to go note, yippee, the end is near.

I also noticed the picture of the upcoming Aran and Celtic book. I don’t have one of their earlier aran issues so will probably get the book. The cover sweater looks really nice but I am too tired to check all my back issues to see if I already have that one.

Roscalie is looking good. Is Marina next?

Suzanne

31. Wendy, you ought to try again with INKnitters. I succumbed to a good deal at Stitches West and got a subscription and all past issues. This thing is incredibly technical. They will discuss complex methods of (ferinstance) decreasing for armholes and then give a pattern (a good one) to use the method on. Right now, other than Knitty, it’s the magazine with the most to offer.

32. Wow, this is like listening to myself talk! Same opinion on Knitter’s. Thank gawd for the online stuff; I think maybe a lot of knitters are decamping to the net nowdays. It’s ridiculous that Knitter’s stinks so much, too — isn’t knitting supposed to be hot and trendy now? :-P

33. Traditional? and covers your belly button?!!? Now why would anyone want to knit a sweater like that? (dripping)

I would wind your yarn for you too Wendy. I like doing it, when I can get my kids to let me.

34. I just read Melissa’s comment and thought “son (4 yo) was 4 yarn overs, not 4 years old. Am I knitting too much? Scary.

35. Oooo, we struck a nerve with this topic! Knitters is morphing into Cast On, heaven help us. I sniff too many computer generated patterns with no panache, no personality…kind of like Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney:”Gee, let’s put on a show!” Rick and the “Knitters Design Team”: “Gee, lets drag out Sweater Wizard and design a sweater!” This, of course is said within 48 hrs of the thing going to press. The other thing I’m sick and tired of are those horrid ugly cable “experiments” they use for allover patterns; they look as though they were swatching after downing six pack except they publish before sobering up. Thanx for letting me get this off my chest…ahh, I feel better now.

36. Wendy -I have just received a parcel from J & S and one of the colours is already wound into 25g balls. They are obviously reading your blog! I love your Roscalie by the way – almost as much as your beautiful cat.

37. Marguerite says:

Hi everybody

I just discovered Wendy’s blog and I like it very much. Roscalie looks just great and I am looking forward to the day when I will have the guts to undertake such a beautiful fairisle knit.
    Concerning the knitting magazines, I have to agree with you all, I discovered Interweave Knits some years ago and it sparked my interest in more traditionnal forms of knitting . However, the last issues have grown increasingly disapointing, now i wonder what Pam Allen will do out of it ? I it can be of interest to anybody I discovered a book (knitting in the nordic tradition by Vibeke Lind). It contains a wealth of historical and cultural information about knitting in Norway and the Faroe Island and some technical advices to design your own knits…. I love it (plus it is not very expensive)
    Pardon my errors if any, I am french speaking and often get mixed in my spelling