1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Audrey

wendyaudrey051404a Audrey

Audrey is done. I finished up the knitting on the neckband Friday evening and sewed it on the body then.

wendyaudrey051404b Audrey

That neckband is a sly wench. You need to knit it shorter than you think, and sew it in while stretching to fit. It’s the thing that pulls the whole sweater together — without the neckband you have this big ol’ floppy thang hanging off your shoulders. For those of you keeping score at home, I did nineteen pattern repeats of the lace pattern in the neckband.

Fortunately I had the collective wisdom of the knitters who have completed their Audreys to draw upon for advice in neckband length. Thank you, dahlings!

May Contest Winner!

Drawn at random from thousands of (okay, over a thousand) entries, the winner is Susan in Australia. Congratulations, Susan, and thanks to everyone who entered.

Prezzies!

I came home from work on Friday to a surprise package of prezzies from Beate in Frankfurt, in honor of our Lucy-versary:

beate051604 Audrey

An assortment of chocolate, and some lovely self-striping sock yarn! Thank you so much, Beate!

The Lucy Sweater

Speaking of Lucy, L-B and I decided that we should name my sweater design “Lucy.” I started knitting mine up this weekend and here’s my progress so far:

luci051604 Audrey

This is Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere, knitted to a gauge of 6 sts/inch. The pattern will be available at some point in the future.

Ingeborg

And last in the knitting lineup, but certainly not least — Ingeborg! I started knitting the Borg on the official starting date, May 15. And because I said I was going to go slow on it, I only worked on it part-time, and worked on the Lucy sweater as well. Here is my Borg progress:

ingeborg051604 Audrey

This is addictive knitting and I had to be very stern with myself and put it down, though I wanted to cast all other knitting aside and work only on the Borg.

The observant among you will note that there are no twisted stitches in the bottom band. I tried it with the twisted stitches and didn’t like it, so I ripped it out. I’ve never been a big fan of mixing texture with colorwork, and apparently this sweater is no exception.

Lucy seems to like it — she’s lying on it here.

lucy051604 Audrey

Speaking of Lucy, there was a question last week about how often I step on her — she blends in very well with my carpet. Actually, I’ve only ever stepped on her once, and that was only a couple of weeks ago. I was getting ready for work, sitting on the side of the bed, putting my shoes on. Unbeknowst to me, Lucy had silently come in and sat down next to my foot. I stepped on her tail, but only on the fur. She got up and walked away, and left a huge clump of fur under my foot! I don’t think she even knew I was standing on her tail. I was horrified when I saw the fur I’d pulled out, but I couldn’t afterward find any bald spots in her fluffy tail.

She is, after all, losing her winter coat right now. I like to think I was just helping her along with that process.

Comments

1. Fantastic !
    Your Audrey,that is.All the rest of your knitting looks great too,especially Ingeborg.Lucy’s namesake looks interesting.

2. Audrey looks stunning! Love the colour, love the neckband.

3. Audrey is a lovely design and looks great on you!

4. Nannette says:

Your Ingeborg looks beautiful! Of course I have not gotten that far, but I am certainly inspired. I see you hemmed yours already. Did you sew the hem or knit it together?

Audrey looks great, and fits so perfectly! Can I have it? (Just kidding!)

5. vanessa says:

audrey looks fantastc on you :-)

6. Love your Audrey!! The color is so flattering and I think it might be the best looking sweater (while being worn) that I have seen in a long time. Bravo!!

7. Audrey looks fabulous! You’re such a fast knitter! The colour compliments your hair very nicely.

The lace on Lucy (sweater not cat ;) is very pretty…I look forward to seeing the rest of it. Is this the pattern you designed?

I have a long haired calico cat…She’s always underfoot so I step on her tail hair all the time. If she feels it, she doesn’t let me know!

8. Audrey is purrfection!

9. Hi Wendy:

I stepped on my cat’s tail like that yesterday too – I startled her so she ran off but I don’t think I hurt her, although I too was mortified at the amount of fur under my foot!

10. Audrey is absolutely GORGEOUS! Thanks as always for the technical specs…I was wondering how in the world that neckband was going to work out. Sign me up for the Lucy pattern *whenever* it comes out…Lord knows I have too many projects on the needles now anyway! The Borg is fabulous…I think Lucy has the right idea (as always).

11. Damn– Audrey is gorgeous. And now I am wishing I remembered where that pattern was, and having this incredible urge to email you about it . . . ( I’ll resist! )

12. Audrey is perfect. Another beautiful sweater. I love your “Lucy” pattern. Can’t wait to purchase it from you.

Kitty Lucy’s picture may be one for the calendar.

Have a good Monday.

13. Audrey looks sooooo great! Did you wear her to work today?? (nice bag, btw ;0)

14. OOOh La La!!! Isn’t that the flirtiest fem top ever! I spent part of my vacation knitting mine and now it will become my Bus Along Knitting.

FANTASTIQUE, WENDY!

15. jocelyn says:

Audrey is gorgeous i felt some this weekend beautiful!! i want to see the lucy top,as i am wondering what it will look like and i am also looking forward to borg.
    Jocelyn

16. Suzanne says:

You look stunning in Audrey!

I was wondering if you might possibly be a Star Trek TNG fan with the way you are referring to your Ingeborg sweater as The Borg? If so, “resistance is futile”! I bet you will have a hard time living up to your statement that you will work on it slowly. :) That is no surprise, though, since it is gorgeous.

17. You and your Audrey are magnifique! The color is so becoming on you, too.

Now where’s that Vespa??? ;-)

18. Your Audrey is beautiful!!! I’m truly inspired!

19. I add my vote: Audrey is lovely and your are lovely in it! BRAVA!

20. Audrey looks wonderful!! And you definitely have the figure for her! Looking good, miss.

Sigh. I step on my cats all the time. I think they’d learn not to sneak up behind me; they think I’d learn to look down before I back up.
    :-)

21. Wow, Audrey looks amazing! I had been captured by her allure, but now… I might have to knit one of my own. Thanks for the great pictures.

22. Audrey came out beautifully!
    I love the collar…

Also nice Dooney in the background…very springy in white.

23. Audrey is absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to see how your “Lucy” sweater turns out.

24. Beautiful work, Wendy! And that color looks great on you. :)

25. Audrey is so lovely in this blue “turquoise” !!
    I read tour blog for months and I loved it . Thanks !!

26. Your blog always shines a light on the Monday back at work blues. It’s so much fun to see what you have finished over the weekend. The Audrey neckline is perfect – not so low that straps show (why is that considered fashionable?) but not so high as to lose the ‘effect’. Looks great on the ‘new bod’ too!
    Naomi

27. Our kitties are in the process of losing the winter coat as well. With 4 of ‘em running around the house we’re doing a lot of vacuuming these days! Audrey is lovely! I ended up with about 16 pattern repeats on mine, knitting the smallest size so the ratio sounds about the same as yours. I think I wanna knit another one now, that Audrey she’s addictive!

28. Beautiful Audrey! I love that color – it’s so striking.

I can’t wait to see how Lucy turns out. I love waiting anxiously for patterns, strangely. It’s the anticipation of something good that gets me going!

Love your website too, by the way…

29. Wow – how beautiful!! I love it – it fits you perfectly and the color is lovely. Great job, as always!

30. Your Audrey could not possibly be any lovelier and you are lovely in it! Congrats on another job well done!

31. Audrey takes my breath away! What a beautiful sweater. Do you knit while on the treadmill? Just wondering how you manage to get so much knitting done and still look trim and slim! I would love to know your secret!!!LOL

32. beauty -you are back! great work
    we worry when you are absent

33. Audrey is wonderful.
    Lucy is looking very nice so far. I can’t wait to see what she’ll look like completed.

34. Kudos on your Audrey, it turned out great!! The neckline is so pretty. The “Lucy” looks like a winner and can’t wait to see the beautiful “Borg” when it’s finished. It looks like you are on a “roll” girl :)

35. Your Audrey is beautiful, I can see how beautiful the top edging is in your photo! Darn you putting ideas in my head! I love the color you chose for Lucy, maybe you can koolaid dye the real Lucy (like folks do with those performing toy poodles) to match…no, that’s what I thought.

36. Linda B. says:

Wendy – I have SO got to knit that Audrey. I’m having to mail order the yarn – so how many balls of yarn did you use for which size? I know it takes 7, 7 or 8 balls, and I’m going to be making the middle size but I don’t know if the 7 will be enough. I can’t be sure I could go back for more of the same dyelot.

37. hi wendy, i never left a note before, just wanted to tell you milka is my favorite chocolate and you’ll love it, and that audrey looks really great! separately the pieces look kind of blah but it looks so amazing all together! the neckline really does it!

38. Audrey looks great! And I love your little Lucy lace design. Very pretty!

39. Your Audrey is great and looks amazing on you! I can’t wait to see your Lucy pattern – I love the lace on the bottom.

40. Audrey is gorgeous. What a fabulous fit!

41. Dannette says:

I’m still perseverating on Lucy. She’s lucious! After reading about your stepping on her I had to relay on that last week I found a huge hank of ragdoll fur on the carpet. I have no idea how one of them got it, or got it off as we try to keep on top of such things. However, my son found it and put googly-eyes on it, and it’s ever so cute…..