1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Friday! Friday! Friday!

And it’s the day before a holiday weekend here in the U.S.

I wore Lucy to work yesterday and it received the Coworker Seal of Approval from Monica. icon smile Friday! Friday! Friday!

luci052704 Friday! Friday! Friday!

I found it to be a very comfy sweater, so it received the Wendy Seal of Approval as well.

Lucy approves, too.

lucy052704 Friday! Friday! Friday!

And I made some progress on Luanne.

luanne052704 Friday! Friday! Friday!

Thanks to Louren, by the way, for filling me in on the origins of Luanne Platter’s name in yesterday’s comments!

Luanne is going to be a slightly cropped tank, with (I think) a picot edging around the neck. Sleeveless. Why sleeveless? Because I have seven skeins of Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere in the yummy teal with which to knit her. And that ain’t enough for sleeves.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

June Contest

I realize that is won’t be June until Tuesday, but I have something so wonderful and yummy to give away, that I can’t wait! The June Contest will be announced on Monday.

The Lucy Pattern

Thank you for all your inquiries about when the Lucy pattern will be available. It is currently being test-knit in all sizes, so will be available when my test-knitters are done. I want to make sure it’s as perfect and error-free as possible before I offer it for sale, you understand. icon smile Friday! Friday! Friday! I’ll keep you posted, promise!

Ingeborg

Poor Ingeborg! I picked her up and did a few rounds because I hadn’t touched her since Monday.

ingeborg052704 Friday! Friday! Friday!

Happy Birthday Mom!

Sunday is my mother’s birthday, so please join me in wishing her a happy one. After all, she’s the one who stuck the yarn and needles in my hands in the first place.

Memorial Day

The other day on the train going home, I was sitting behind a young man in Army uniform. At one stop an older man with his 4-year-old grandson got on — tourists, judging from the map and Smithsonian bag the man was carrying. The man sat in the single side seat in front of the young soldier, and indicated to his grandson to sit next to the soldier.

The little boy looked worried — he’d obviously been cautioned about strangers. His grandfather said “It’s okay, he protects our country. He’s a hero.”

The little boy stared at the soldier solemnly, then broke into smiles, and happily sat down next to him.

A happy Memorial Day to all heros past and present protecting our country.

Comments

1. Great Memorial Day comment! And can’t wait to buy a Lucy pattern. Luanne is coming along nicely,too. I like the idea of the cropped tank and sleeveless. ‘Cause is is hoooot here.

Happy Birthday to your mom and have a great weekend!

2. Wendy, happy birthday to your mom! I am looking forward to buy the Lucy pattern. Have a nice long weekend!

3. Happy Birthday, Wendy’s Mom, and thanks to all moms who taught us how to play with sticks and strings.

4. I’m all teary eyed from your sweet Memorial Day story.
    Thank you for sharing.

Happy Birthday Wendy’s Mom…You done good :o)

Donna in Wisconsin

5. vanessa says:

i could just kiss that little lucy face :-)

6. Thanks Wendy for the uplifting Memorial Day story. Gives some relief from all the media negativity.

And Happy Birthday Mom – you must be so proud to have such a creative, accomplished, generous, and beautiful daughter! (and some pretty awesome grand-kitties:o)

7. Barbara says:

I’m looking forward to knitting Lucy when the pattern is for sale, it is a great summer sweater!
    Happy Birthday to Wendy’s Mom, we’re all glad she taught you to knit. My parents are headed to DC for the weekend, they have tickets for the opening of the WW II Vets Memorial. Dad will be wearing his cap with the picture of the B-24 Liberator he flew in and all 5 of his medals. He enlisted on his 18th birthday. We owe so much to those brave men and women. Happy Memorial Day!

8. Thanks for the lovely story from your commute. A good reminder of all those who have made sacrifices for our country and the rest of us over the years.

Happy Birthday to your mom and Lucy (both of them) is absolutely lovely!

9. Perfect timing for the soldier story! Here, in NE Wisconsin, we just welcomed home a company from Iraq — just in time for Memorial Day. Also perfect!

10. Lucy, Lucy and Luanne all look great…

Thanks for the story. My brother was in the service years ago — he served in Desert Storm — and he’s the reason why I don’t think of Memorial Day as just another day off.

Happy Birthday Mom!

11. What a touching story – it tugs at the heart, doesn’t it!

Your Lucy and Luanne sweaters are wonderful. Please please test knitters – click those needles faster.

Wish your mom a special birthday and do tell her she did so well in raising a wonderful daughter. She probably will tell us that you are her best accomplishment!(Oh your brother, too)

Happy weekend to you, and pretty kitty Lucy.

12. Love the Lucy-ies!

As a former military wife, it’s always wonderful to hear people be so supportive and instilling that in their children.

Have a Great Holiday Weekend, and Happy Birthday Wendy’s Mom!

13. Wendy in FL says:

Happy birthday to Wendy’s Mom! Thanks for giving her the inspiration to inspire us all.

And that was a really great Memorial Day comment.

W. :)

14. HollyGo says:

Wendy,
    What’s the cotton cashmere like to work with? I’m novice to intermediate knitter and I found the cashmerino to be incredibly slippy and hard to work with.

15. Thanks for the great Memorial Day story. My husband and I were Army officers back when that wasn’t always real cool. He stayed in, I got out to raise kids. He’s been retired for several years now, but he’s still a hero to me.

A very happy birthday to your Mom, may she have many more.

16. Have a great birthday, Wendy’s Mom! Did you know, years ago, you were raising a Knitting Goddess? :-) Your daughter is very special to a heckuva lot of people!

17. A very happy birthday to Wendy’s mom!

Beautiful Memorial Day story, too.

18. Send a happy one your Mom’s way!

How do you like Cotton Cashmere? I’ve heard such mixed things about DB’s yarns. I just finished working with her wool/cotton and thought it was fine.

I trust your judgement in all things knitting.

Zeila

19. The Lucy sweater is *so* pretty! Unfortunately, I don’t have a cute little figure like yours, so will you also be offering it in larger sizes too?

The Lucy kitty is *so* pretty as well!

20. Happy Birthday to your Mom and Happy Birthday to ME, the same day! Lucy looks fab. I want one. My hubby is one of those heroes and I am always moved to hear that their sacrifice is appreciated by someone. I often wonder these days.
    Have a great weekend!

21. What a wonderful story Wendy. And it’s a nice reminder that, all politics aside, those who suit up and show up are usually doing so for the very best reasons. Have a great weekend.

P.S. I don’t think that Lucy is thinking about her nameksake sweater at all. I think she’s in psychic kitty mode and is, um, picking up distress signals about the increases on the Audrey sweater. Look at her eyes. Don’t they *really* say: “hmmmm…maybe mom should have told everyone exactly how she made her Audrey increases look so nice.” Yep. I really do think that’s what she saying. ;-)

22. How lovely – thanks for that train anecdote. Bless ‘em all.

23. That’s a sweet story you told us! My husband was in the Army during the Desert War and I’m thankful that he was able to do his job and come back safely. My thoughts are also with our soldiers serving overseas as I type this.

24. Happy B’Day, Wendy’s mom!!! Wendy, I bet you are the apple of your momma’s eye :)

I can’t wait to buy “Lucy” and “Luanne”!! They are looking just wonderful!! Especially now that they have the “work” seal of approval ;-)

How hard is it to work with the cotton cashmere?? I’ve never tried it but looks like I will in the VERY near future

And thanks for the Memorial Day story. We all lead such hectic and harried lives that sometimes we need to be reminded about who we are and how we’ve gotten here!!

I hope you and yours have a WONDERFUL and safe weekend

Dawn

P.S.
    I look forward to seeing “Inge” on Monday :) I just LUV to see your progress as she grows!!

25. So exicted about the weekend! Extra knitting time! I hope your mom has a wonderful birthday. Lucy looks amazing…both the feline & the sweater! Luanne is beautiful and I bet it’s also a joy to knit! DB yarn is so yummy! Have a great weekend!

26. Phyllis says:

I’m all teary eyed with your story about the soldier on the train. What a fabulous story to have seen unfold and thank you for sharing!

Lucy is fabulous and I can’t wait to buy the pattern!
    Phyllis

27. Lucy looks awsome! Great job on that. ^_^

I wanted to comment on your kitty bed pattern: I just love it! I’m definitely going to earmark that for a future project. I’ll send you a pic when I complete it (getting a bit ahead of myself, but… whatever)! ^_^ There was a picture in your gallery from a girl named Erin that has a cat that looked just like my Gizmo! It really made me smile. It’s very nice that you offer that pattern for free to everyone. Very generous.

Have a great day!

28. wendy, your own designs are always so nice. I’m loving Luanne, can’t wait to see how she comes along.

29. wendy, your own designs are always so nice. I’m loving Luanne, can’t wait to see how she comes along.

30. Wendy, that was a perfectly wonderful story about your commute. My boyfriend is over there right now – he knows that he’s my hero. Thank you for sharing that with us – especially on such an appropriate weekend. :)

Now, onto knitting… I can’t wait to see Luanne finished! :) I love Lucy (both of them, lol) but Luanne looks just my speed. How do you like working with the DB yarn? (I haven’t tried it yet and have been wondering…)

31. Happy Birthday to your mom, Wendy! Hope you have an enjoyable holiday weekend!

32. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY WENDY! :)

33. Michelle says:

Happy Memorial Day to those in the States, truly an uplifting story, and a great big thank you to those great American & Canadian’s protecting us. Happy Birthday to Wendy’s Mom. :) Have a great holiday.

34. Jocelyne says:

Joyeux anniversaire pour la maman de Wendy !