1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Klaralund-Along, Anyone?

On Monday, Froggy blogged about picking up the Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton Book Number Two, same book I blogged about buying last week at Knit Happens. We both love the design Klaralund, which is knitted in Noro Silk Garden and is pictured here:

klaralund Klaralund Along, Anyone?

I’ve already got enough Silk Garden in my stash to knit Klaralund. What’s not to like?

So-o-o-o-o . . . anyone up for a Klaralund-Along?

Klaralundalong Klaralund Along, Anyone?

Miz Froggy and I will be co-hosting the Klaralund-Along, starting in September and we cordially invite you to Klaralund along with us!!!!

Washington DC area knitters — how about we meet up at Knit Happens on the first Wednesday night after Labor Day for late night at the shop and kick off our Klaralund-Along? I’ll be there, Klaralund-Alonging, anyhow. Even if I’m the only Klaralund-Alonger there.

You might have figured out that I really like saying Klaralund-Along.

Bandwidth Theft Update

Last night I spent an hour renaming all the buttons on my blog and editing my template. I took a look at my stats yesterday and yeah, there are a whole lotta people hotlinking to my site. So now those graphics will display as broken links on their sites.

WIP Update

I am now working on the last sleeve of Lisa, so she will be finito soon-o.

And here is the shrug.

shrug072704 Klaralund Along, Anyone?

Note that it is in a nasty little heap. There is a reason for this. I hate and detest it. It does not deserve a decent photo.

So what’s the problem? I should know by now that modular knitting doesn’t suit me. I don’t like the way this fits — the neck is too wide and the back is too short. It’s not a big deal — I did not spend an inordinate amount of time knitting it. So I’m not overly upset.

Could I do something to make it wearable? No doubt I could. But I’m not going to. I’d rather spend my time on something else.

I’ll try to remember to stick to more structured, tailored, fitted designs from here on out.

Tonight is late night at Knit Happens, so I’ll be there, probably with a new WIP in hand. See, I have something in my stash that is screaming (screaming, I tell you) to be knit. It is Alchemy Silk Purse — 100% silk dk weight yarn in an acid/lime green (are you reading this, Bonne Marie?) and it sends me into transports of delight. So I whipped up a little pattern for a vee-neck tank.

Film at 11.

Here is the yarn.

alchemy072704 Klaralund Along, Anyone?

I sneaked it into the house without SpongeBob noticing. Hee hee! I’m so sneaky.

Lucy is too busy grooming her fluffy tail to care.

lucy072704 Klaralund Along, Anyone?

Can I Just Say . . .

. . . how totally jazzed I am about Secret Pal 2, being organized by the wonderful Heidi? Cuz I am! I didn’t participate in the first Secret Pal project that went on in Knit-Bloggyland because by the time I figured out it existed, it was in full swing. Yeah, I’m slow like that!

So I’m really really pleased to have gotten in on the ground floor of this one. I love making and giving surprises so this is gonna be great fun!

My Rat Encounter

Re your comments about my brief encounter with Mr. Ratty on Monday:

Atara said:
Aww – rats are cute! ^.^
(I know, I know, I probably would have shrieked in surprise and jumped as well; there’s a big difference between your garden-variety trash rat and the cute rats I had as pets.)

I had mice when I was a kid, and loved them dearly. I think pet rats are cute too.

Mr. Ratty, on the other hand, was almost as big as Lucy, no doubt infested with vermin, and butt-ugly.

Andrea commented:
I seem to recall a previous Rat Encounter mentioned on your blog. Maybe they are ganging up?

Yes indeed, there is a big nasty rat that I’ve seen outside the building where I work. Eeeeeew. Hopefully the Washington DC rat is not in cahoots with the Alexandria, VA rat.

Jaimi said:
I’m trying to picture a rat leaping gazelle-like, and also trying very hard to not laugh out loud here in a public university computer cluster…it wouldn’t be very academic of me icon smile Klaralund Along, Anyone?

And Jon said:
As someone who’s seen gazelle in their natural habitat (the African plain) and rats in their natural habitat (the NYC subway filth), I am having a really, really hard time imagining a gazelle-like rat. But I’ll try, since you seem to think it’s possible, Wendy!

Okay, you guys are gonna have to trust me on this one. This huge disgusting filthy rat came flying out of the trash can in an graceful arc. An Olympic high jumper would envy the height and distance of his leap. I kid you not. I’ve never seen a projectile rat before.

And for the record, I did not scream nor did I jump. I just kept on walking. I am SO not awake when I’m staggering into work in the morning, pre-caffeine.

Besides, I don’t recall ever screaming, ever, in my life. I’m Swedish. In times of great emotion we shake hands.

Comments

1. I want to join the Klaralund Along please. I love the design, just need to pick up the yarn.
    Thanks.

2. Your last line is the funniest I’ve read in a long time. :0)

Watch out for Bonne Marie,hiding behind bushes,ready to steal that amazingly beautiful neon lime silk away from you.I wish I could wear that colour.
    Shame about the shrug.Will you re-cycle the yarn or gift it to someone more…um…modular?

I’m very,very excited about the secret pal thingy.Missed the first one too.I love choosing,making,wrapping and giving lovely stuff at least as much as receiving it !

3. Oh, loving Klaralund Along, love how it rolls off the tongue – definitely up for my first knit along. I’ve found a place I can buy the Cornelia Tuttle book on line (that will ship to New Zealand – yay!) and there is quite a lot of Silk Garden on e-bay. Please could you let me know how much I’ll need – I’d hate to not get enough!

Shame about the shrug, I’ve always struggled with why? regarding shrugs – I mean is it cold? or not? Love the yarn though – a body darted tank?

4. Sign me UP. I’m so excited, I could almost shake hands…but then, I’m Dutch, so I’ll have to think about it and ponder the CONSEQUENCES of such an action before I’d be so bold as to…never mind.
    Silk Garden, stashed. Just waiting for a pattern like THIS one!

5. What a shame about the shrug outcome. I had the same experience… I don’t think my dislike was the modularness of the pattern though, just the pointlessness of a shrug. Mine was out of beautiful Colinette Isis, which is unfortunately almost incapable of being ripped out. It went off to be someone Goodwill Store find.

Klaralund looks wonderful. Dare I hope it only takes 10 balls for a small???

6. Wendy, What a bad-ass attitude you have regarding your shrug. Rock on, knitter! Maybe it will make a nice gift for someone.

I feel like Bonne Marie in my love for that green! It looks scrumptious. It looks like Spongebob might be on to you, though. I think he might be sneakier than you thought.

I love Klaralund! I have to see if I have stash budget for some Silk Garden (even bad-ass knitters have to have some sort of restraint and after my elann binge yesterday….)

7. Projectile rats? I did my senior thesis in undergrad about the bubonic plague in the 14th century. ‘Nuff said… me and rats, we’re not so good together anymore (if ever!)

8. I definately want to join the Klaralund-along. Love that sweater. I was so upset yesterday when I was told that I couldn’t join the Secret Pal 2 as they are too full. I just missed it. :( Oh Well, maybe the next one! :(
    I love that green silky yarn. Can’t wait to see the tank you designed for it. :)

9. Sign me up for the Klaralund-Along! That’s a gorgeous design, and I love Silk Garden. I’m very excited about it.

I, too, am in Heidi’s Secret Pal project, and I’m very excited about it. I love making and giving out surprises.

10. Wow, that limey silk is GORGEOUS!! Can’t wait to see the finished project. Are there regularly knitters hanging out at KH on Wednesday evenings? I should try to come some night.

11. Marlena says:

I’m really glad you posted about bandwidth theft, not because I have a blog (yet), but because I was a bandwidth thief once, and felt so terrible after I found out what I had done.

I love reading your blog, I check it out everyday!

12. I would love to join the Klaralund-Along, but this is the first knit along I have ever done, so you will have to excuse my ignorance as far as the steps involved. What can I say, I am a new knitter! (And a new blogger).

BTW, your story about the rat had me laughing outloud at work. Me? Reading blogs at work? NEVER!

13. Really? In times of great emotion, my own personal Swedes knock back a couple of vodkas in those tiny little glasses.

14. Ah, that’s what it is. I’m Irish (and a bunch of other things) and I can get — shall we say — feisty. My husband on the other hand is almost entirely Swedish and nothing seems to phase him.

And I know what you mean about Secret Pal 2! I also missed the first one. I run the ring for goodness sake, you think I would know about these things! So, I’m excited to get in on round two. Looks like it was a lot of fun the first time around.

15. What an absolutely hilarious post today! Such a great sense of humor you have. You are a delight to read.

Your lime silk is gorgeous.

16. That last line broke me up! You’re too funny :) I’d also love to join in the knit along. The sweater is lovely!

17. Phyllis says:

Klaralund-Along
    Klaralund-Along
    Hi-ho the diary-o
    A Klaralund-Along

(yes too much caffiene this morning for me!)

This will be fun! Glad Knit Happens is open late tonight. I can pick up the pattern and my yarn. I should be ready for another project by the beginning of September!

18. lindsay says:

That green silk looks really lovely. Green is much under-rated.

Great photo of the shrug. I suppose bad ass knitters can treat their projects like that. Heck, I treat my successfull projects like that.

19. Lapis Lazuli says:

there are RATS in WASHINGTON DC?!?! Say it ain’t so, Wendy.

20. I may have to run out to the LYS at lunch today! Been loving that sweater since you first posted the pic. So much for the DBliss pattern I was planning for my Silk Garden ~

21. (Ooops, I mistyped my name above.)

22. Spongey didn’t say anything about the Silk because I already slipped him a Jackson to send it my way…

23. Ooh, that lime silk is luscious.

And, um…the grace with which you describe this gazelle-like rat leads me to wonder if it was an evolutionary wonder/sign of pending apocalypse: a flying rat. ::shudder::

24. I’d like to join the Klaralund-along!

25. “projectile rat”. That’s one for the quote books. I like your description of being Swedish – it works for Norwegians also – my college orchestra director used to yell at us “emote, you repressed Norwegian Lutherans!”

26. Yes, I want to join the Klaralund Along please, oh, yes !!!
    But not in Kureyon, i think it’s possible without changing anything, what’s your idea ???

27. I want to Klaralund Along, too! I’ve been eyeing the pattern at our store and you’ve given me that push onto the train tracks, so to speak.

28. So sorry to see that the shrug didn’t work out.

Enjoy the Secret Pal II, I was in the first one and it was great fun but wasn’t able to join this one (no money right now). It is fun to get surprises in the mail. I will follow along blogwise on it.

Love the lime green yarn. Yummmy.

29. I missed the first SP as well, but this time I signed up as soon as I heard about it!

30. OK, I live in DC – I just saw a rat FLY out of the garbage can near my apt. building either before or after I dropped trash there (I’m so traumatized that I’ve forgotten which) and I do mean FLY – so, Wendy, I’m behind you 100%.

Question: where did you get the beautiful silk? I need some to knit a cowl for a wonder Cantor in my Temple who’s allergic to wool, mohair, etc. Many thanks!

31. Okay, I have an answer to the mystery of Sponge Bob’s inexplicable ignorance of the Bonne Marie Green silk (it is an official Pantone color name now…). See, I heard that John Kerry has been getting alot of advice as to what he needs to include in his speech tomorrow night, and the Edwards children are insisting that he must mention Sponge Bob. I think Mr. Stash Pants must be on a road trip to Beantown waiting to take his rightful place alongside Mr. Kerry.

32. Jaimi said she can’t picture gazelle like rats, so I flew to NY and took a picture of the ones there.

33. Oh crap – you’re enabling an enabler…yeah, so, guess in September I’ll be hosting/knitting my Gerbera-along AND knitting the Klaralund with you simultaneously, LOL…

Now to decide which of the two colorways I have to use!

34. Karen in MN says:

Oh, Mouse, razelles — HILARIOUS! I just about spewed my monitor!

35. You’re right about Alchemy yarn, Wendy. I’m one sleeve into a sweater with yarn that’s a 50/50 silk/merino blend from them. It’s scrumptious yarn.

36. lv2knit says:

I am bumming big time. I rushed out and bought the shrug pattern because it would be perfect with a dress I have. Has anyone had GOOD luck with the pattern? Or should I be a true ‘BAK’ (bad ass knitter) and place the pattern with other by-passed brainstorms?

37. Yay! You read me, you really read me! (I just noticed my link on your list and was temporarily channeling Sally Field)… YAY!

Actually writing to say the Alchemy is bbeeaauuutiful! I so wish I could touch it!

38. Melissa says:

Damn you, Wendy, damn you. I have never, ever in my long knitting life given Noro a second thought. And then you had to go and post a picture of Klaralund and I can feel my fingers itching to have it in my hot little hands. I am now a coveter of Noro Silk, and I don’t know what to do. I must find a 12-step group soon!

I would love to Klaralund-along with you all, but alas school starts again in Sept. and I won’t have time for knitting. So I tell myself now. But maybe I can alund-along with you guys anyway, to learn the ins and outs and see all your color schemes before I commit to my own. And Christmas break is right around the corner… so, heck, sign me up anyway!

Cheers — Melissa –

who is spending summer break knitting “Salt Peanuts” in Bergamo Hemp along with tanks, socks, and a shawl. At least for now.

39. I love the Alchemy yarns!! I am currently knitting a tank in their Bamboo in a beautiful blue-green-aqua-purple colorway (summer nights?). I love the drape, the sheen, its beautiful. Of course at fingering weight on size 2 circs, when I say I’m “knitting a tank” I mean I’m knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting…..

40. I have been checking in on the shrug progress all ready to start mine and am sorry you didn’t like how it came out. Any chance of a photo? I still am going to do mine but would love to see how your yarn worked with the pattern….

41. I would like to join the Klaralund-along, please. It is a beautiful sweater.

42. lots of klaralund-alongers! now that’s a lot to say, lol! can’t wait to start. and the kick off at knit happens will be great. what do you mean even if you were the only klaralund-alonger. that wouldn’t have happened. i am going to have to restrain myself from starting. maybe just a swatch, lol. your rat encounter is funny. i must say they don’t phase me too much from when i lived in nyc. many encounters there, too many. your yummy green yarn is SCREAMING. i can hear it from here.

43. I think it would have been interesting to put up a “questionable” picture with the same name rather than renaming…. maybe a bandwidth theft image.

44. Cynthia says:

I’d love to join the Klaralund Along. Just bought the book last weekend. I’m also being very good and will use some Silk Garden I had in my stash that hadn’t been earmarked for a project. Looking forward to this knitalong.

45. Hi Wendy,
    Just a note to let you know if your ISP offers a “control panel” program, it might have an option to block hotlinks. I know mine has something called CPanel, which includes “Hotlink protection.” You can add OK sites to a list of “allowed” sites that can hotlink to yours; all others are barred. It might be worth looking into rather than having to change your templates a lot.

46. I would also like to join the Klaralund-along. Count me in!

47. Hi, Wendy,
    I’d like to join the Klaralund Along, too. I’ve got so much Noro in my stash that I close my eyes when I walk by it in the LYS, chanting, no, no, no…heh. Thanks to you and miz Froggy for hosting it..

48. Christina says:

I’d like to join the Klaralund-Along too. It’s a beautiful sweater and a chance to work with some Noro for the first time. :o)

I ordered the Cornelia Tuttle book and am scoping out yarn. Can anyone tell me what colorway the sweater in the photo is made from? I love all those blues!