Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

Lucy’s You-Know-What

I’m not allowed to say out loud what I’m knitting for Lucy — L-B’s cat Lucky will be peeved, because he hasn’t had one knitted for him yet.

I’ll whisper it:

It’s a kitty bed.

kittybed030705 Lucys You Know What

I am knitting this on US 15 needles, using two strands of Manos (color #110 – Stellar) held with one strand of Colinette mohair (color Velvet Damson). The edging will be some Crystal Palace Splash in a coordinating blue. When I run out of the Manos, I’ll switch to Colinette wool DK and Graffiti held together (both Velvet Damson) with the mohair.

Why yes, that does add up to quite a pricey kitty bed, doesn’t it? But I’m using stash yarn, so I maintain that it does not count. No one will persuade me otherwise.

Wrap Cardi Notes

Thanks for all your kind words about my Rebecca Wrap Cardi. (But in the interests of full disclosure, y’all do know that there is a reason I cropped the photo at my waist, right?) Wrap Cardi is now residing on its own page linked from my knitting gallery.

Stinkerbell asked which size I made, if I made any modifications, and how much yarn it took.

(Aside: I love it when Stinkerbell leaves questions in the comments so I can say: “Stinkerbell asked . . .”)

I made the larger size, and the only modification I made to the pattern was to pick up stitches and knit the ties directly from the front edges rather than knit them separately and sew them on. The sweater took approximatelly 4.5 skeins of the yarn.

I plan to wear the cardi over sleeveless summer dresses.

New Project! New Project!

melody030705 Lucys You Know What

This is going to be a short boxy pullover, and it’s knitted from the Blue Sky Organic Cotton. I’m calling it “Melody” — it’s my own design.

Why melody? Because I was knitting along on it, thinking about the cables looking something like chains, which got Unchained Melody running through my head, and well . . . one thing led to another.

The Organic Cotton is quite nice to knit — it doesn’t hurt my hands like many cottons do. Even doing the cables. I know at least one of you ::cough::Johanne::cough:: thinks I’m nuts to do cables in cotton and usually I would agree with that anonymous person. But cabling this cotton is a pleasant experience.

But ask me again in a week.

The Naming of Sweaters is a Difficult Matter*

*with apologies to T.S. Eliot

While I was knitting the sleevage for my Corriedale sweater, it occurred to me that I need to name the design “Vince.” After all, it is edged in Vince Lace.

In answer to a comments question, the gauge is 3.5″ to the inch. Which is why it is such a quick knit!

Spinning?

In answer to a question in the comments the other day about what I’ve been spinning lately: nothing. I haven’t spun anything for two or three weeks, due to flare-up of back pain. I’ll get back to it soon, though.

lucy030705 Lucys You Know What

Comments

1. Love the way Melody looks. It looks like something you’d grab every day as you run out the door. Lucy is one lucky kitty but she deserves the best!

2. michellenyc says:

actually, melody is a GREAT name because the cables kinda look like lyres – which is very musicalish(ok, i made up that word)

3. I am loving the way Melody is looking already! Is this pattern going to be in the highly anticipated book? ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Absolutely beautiful! All of it–> your knitting, your writing — and, of course, Lucy. (Charles Wallace is in L.O.V.E.!) <–MOM, when do *I* get a kitty bed?!
    Wendy, you inspire me! After twenty years of knitting, I can’t begin to tell you how much your knitting has changed MY knitting. Thank you!

5. It is true that stash doesn’t count, and if it is pretty old stash, you actually get some credit for using that. Melody is delightful, you’d better publish it, quick!
    MEM

6. Endorse the stash doesn’t count rule. It might need to be added to the Bad Ass Knitter Manifesto!
    The cotton looks fabulous, I hadn’t seen it knitted up before except for the KH swatches and I love cotton anyway – must – not – order – some……

7. Whee! A T.S. Eliot rip off (also found in the musical Cats, one of my fav productions)

I also must say, I’m loving the Rebecca Cardi, and I really wish I could find that magazine around me…

The chained cables on the new pullover are fantastic! I hope you offer the pattern when you’re done, I love to come see what new stuff you’re working on.

Lucy’s looking lovely as always too.

With her being a long hair, have you ever tried spinning her fur/hair/whatever?

-saff

8. i can see the “lyre” resemblance, but the first thing that popped into my head was… FISH! it’s a fishy sweater ๐Ÿ™‚

9. do you know the water flood you could be opening for me to ask questions ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the info. I am going to guess that I would make the smaller size and go from there (at least if you knit it within the yarn “requests/suggestions”- is that what you should call it…) and thing about 3-4 for the top.

10. Melody is a great design, Wendy. What cool cables!

11. vanessa says:

meoldy is lovely ๐Ÿ™‚ if your back is hurting while spinning, have you tried using a different chair or stool?

12. vanessa says:

duh, it’s melody ;-0

13. You Cropped the photo because you are engaged and you did not want anyone to see your ring? You look tiny in your pictures so it could not be to hide your figure.

14. If Lucky heard that, I’ll have to haul out my Big Kureyon and TechnoHair this weekend! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m lusting after Melody!

15. Love the cardi! It is beautiful!!! Even more, I love the pic of Lucy and is that fancy feast in the picture too??

16. Miss Wendy, please take good care of your back! You only get one, you know!

Velvet Damson: I kept wanting to read the color as Velvet Damsel (DOH, Muffin just head-butted me) which is also quite fitting for the velvety smoothy, suave Miss Lucy.

17. Diana & Orion says:

You GO Wendy!

I don’t know if I actually told you that knitting with double bulky wool strands AND a strand of mohair was something I did with your pattern a while back.

I use JOY and BALLERINA as the fringe part on top. The cats love the ribbons.

The beds come out a bit hairy but the cats are crazy for them. Much more so than when I did not use the mohair. I found I had to REALLy beat this twice as long in the washer as the “regular formula” to get it stiff. If you go to webshots and look under my album “Ori & Finny 3/2” there is a pick of the latest bed made like this drying (“The Uber Kittybed”)User name: RRTaliesen

BTW, the stuff you end up designing pretty much always blows away anything else you make from other patterns. This new organic cable sweater is amazing. I hope you plan to include it in your book.

And I love the Corryidale.

Happy needles, Di

18. Diana & Orion says:

You GO Wendy!

I use JOY and BALLERINA as the fringe part on top. The cats love the ribbons.

And I love the Corryidale.

Happy needles, Di

19. Diana & Orion says:

You GO Wendy!

I use JOY and BALLERINA as the fringe part on top. The cats love the ribbons.

And I love the Corryidale.

Happy needles, Di

20. I was thinking just what you said, that it would add up to a pricy kitty bed. But then Lucy’s worth it, yes?!

Unchained Melody is one of my all-time favorite songs. I can see why it might inspire you.

21. Hi,As always I love everything you’ve been knitting lately, particularly the Rebecca wrap – verrry pretty. I have a question about the Melody sweater though – Have you anticipated where the loops are going to loop when they get to your, as my Grandmother would say, bosom? I’m sure you’ve probably thought this out already but as soon as I saw it I thought there might an ensuing situation. (Lordy, I tremble at thought of questioning my favorite knitting idol.)
    Martha

22. Susan Maurer says:

Glad you’re knitting up the organic cotton, so we can enjoy it with you. Can’t wait to watch the progress on-line. Didja add it to your “current WIPs” yet? (And don’t forget to add Lucy’s … shhhhh… b-e-d… too.)
    Gotta another Q for ya too. Actually, 2.
    (1) Why do you favor the three-needle bind-off? I’m suspecting you do cuz I think I remember reading it in a recent blog entry? I used to be a prolific knitter (before my now 2-yr-old was born) and I’ve only used the 3-ndl bind-off once. Is it for the finish and ease of joining pieces together? Inquiring minds…
    (2) How do you store your circ needles?
    I ask these two Qs cuz I cast off a lap-ghan last night and it brought to mind your casting off with a three-needle bind off recently. And then I had to store my circs back in the binder I made for them, tucked in stitched up zip-lock big ol’ baggies, organized by needle size, and I wondered: “How does Wendy store her circs”?
    Okay, C U on-line! Love your blog! And thanks again for sharing all your goodies, knitting, kitty, and wealth of info.
    Can’t wait til the book comes out!
    L8R!

23. i was just telling a class over the weekend that knitting from your stash is like knitting for free, because it’s usually been so long since you spent the money you can’t even remember missing it. yes, i probably sounded like a fool, but i totally believe your kitty bed is costing you nothing ๐Ÿ˜€

24. I’m risking looking like a fool, because I haven’t followed your blog long enough to know your personal life, BUT…. is the pic cropped because Lucy is going to be in competition with a human baby?

25. Oh definitely. Using stash yarn totally doesn’t count. In fact, you are saving money. A project completed with stash yarn is a virtuous thing. Now, I wonder, how long must the yarn age to be considered stash? Also, I wonder if people generally have stash because of forgotten or re-thought projects, or from just buying the yarn because they loved it (I have both)My Aunt insists that one keeps a wall of yarn in order to have a pallette to create from.

26. I enjoy knitting with cotton. It is a different kind of soft, but sometimes I find it pills a bit too much, depending on the content. However, I really enjoy cables, so it is fun seeing Melody light up my computer screen. I also thought it looked like fish at first glance. Wouldn’t that be cute with a secondary smaller cable of little fish (fishes?) running in the opposite direction? Nice idea for a children’s sweater…maybe even have the fish in different colors! Oops! Sorry, lyres! My glasses got too old at least a year ago! Must see the opthalmologist SOON!

27. Oh no! Not you, too (back pain). Take care of it so it won’t become the nightmare mine has. And that kitty bed maybe on over indulgence to some but every grrl deserves a special bed.

28. Ann in CT says:

Hi Wendy.
    I’m also excited by the idea of your book, but I’m wondering about the size range you’re going to have on the patterns. I’m a petite/XS type and don’t have the skill (yet) to size patterns down. Melody is yet another cool looking sweater I’d like to make.
    Thanks!

29. Lucy is as deserving of luxury yarn as any kitty! In fact, if the humans can afford it, all kitty beds should be so luxurious!

I think I may be the only one that thinks the chains on Melody look like fish. ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s not a bad thing, of course!

30. Joan in Reno says:

O.K. I’ll guess you cropped the picture because you only had your lingerie on, not pants or a skirt. I really like the design of the cables on your Melody. Did you make them up or are they in a book? I’m wanting to make a cabled sweater of some sort and I really like your “chains”. I love the colors in Lucy’s new bed; it will match your decor.

31. Love the wrap cardi! And as for the pricey kitty bed, well, we all know: LUCY DESERVES ONLY THE BEST.

32. Just wondering how much yarn your newest kitty Pi bed took. I made one and it took 2.5 ahnks of bulky Lopi. I have to make another a bit bigger for the 15lb cat!