1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Stick a Fork In It

inish052405 Stick a Fork In It

It’s done!

inish052405a Stick a Fork In It

Last night I finished the second sleeve, sewed it to the body, then sewed the side seams. Then I picked up the stitches for the collar.

Anmiryam asked the other day:
Did you join the saddle shoulders by seaming them as written or did you knit them together with the live stitches on the front and the back? I did that with Little Rivers and I’m considering doing the same with Inishmore. Anything to avoid seaming vertical to horizontal pieces!

I seamed as written.

inishstrap Stick a Fork In It

I have often knitted a shoulder strap directly to the live front and back stitches, but opted not to this time. The stitch gauge for this sweater (over moss stitch) is 22 sts/28 rows to 10 cm. The row to stitch ratio is approximately .71 rows to each stitch (did I figure that correctly? My math skills suck). So you can’t simply knit each row, or knit every other row, together with a live stitch from the body and expect it to lie flat. I didn’t feel like figuring out how to knit it to make it lie properly, so I seamed the sucker. And it actually wasn’t that painful. I mattress-stitched and it turned out looking pretty good.

Actually, I mattress-stitched the whole sucker together. Usually I prefer backstitch because I think it makes a stronger join, but I prefer the way mattress stitch looks when I am seaming moss stitch. I think it makes for a far more invisible join.

So I hauled Inishmore onto the train with me this morning. I no doubt looked a bit odd (well, odder than usual) with the whole sweater in my lap, knitting on the neckband. This is not really commuter knitting! But it was really quite pleasant.

Usually I detest knitting the neckband but I guess I had reached my moment of zen on this. This was the happiest neckband knitting I’ve had in a long time.

I was planning on doing 18 or 19 rounds for the neckband, but liked it at 15 rounds, so that was that. I have a somewhat short neck, so a deep neckband on a crewneck sweater is not the best look for me.

inishcollar Stick a Fork In It

Maybe I’m just glad the sweater is finished.

I finished at 4:55pm today. I checked the spreadsheet to see who came closest to guessing the winner — that would be Mary Beth M., who guessed this evening at 6:18pm. I’ve emailed Mary Beth and will be sending her this:

fiesta052405 Stick a Fork In It

Fiesta La Luz silk yarn, in the “Alaska” colorway. Two full skeins and one almost-full skein.

Speaking of Prizes

L-B has generously offered to send a prize to the person who comes closest to guessing her finish date and time, so stay tuned for that!

Speaking of L-B, here is the back of her beautiful Inishmore.

lbinish052405 Stick a Fork In It

And a close-up.

lbinish052405a Stick a Fork In It

Speaking of Prizes Some More

We will hold the drawing for the raffle prizes on June 1, so if you’d still like to contribute and get chances at the raffle, you can do so if you send your donation (see info in the sidebar) before June 1.

Thanks from L-B and I to everyone who has donated thus far.

And please note, that there is another prize on the prize page, kindly donated by Eklectika!

Oh and by the way — hand pain? None to speak of now (speaking for myself, of course). Sunday evening’s hand pain was simply brought on by hours and hours of weekend knitting. (Well, duh.) The paws were a tad swollen this morning, but it is after all, raining. They seem fine now.

Oh and double-by-the-way — in answer to Mary‘s question in the comments: I’ve never used a lifeline in my knitting. L-B hasn’t either. I asked.

I’m not saying that I’ve never been in a situation where a lifeline would have been handy — I have. Namely, knitting lace. Early on in my lace knitting days it would have been really useful, as ripping out knitted lace is a scary scary thing.

Speaking of Lace

I hauled out a bunch of lace patterns this morning to see if anything caught my fancy. (Lucy helped by obligingly sitting on the patterns.)

Stay tuned.

Comments

1. CONGRATS on finishing and winning…

2. What’s that noise? Why, I think it’s the sound of the knitting-speed barrier being broken.

Yikes, Wendy.

And yes, it is very beautiful.

3. Suzanne says:

Congrats on finishing. Can’t wait to see what Lace you are making next.

4. Your knitting speed is quite simply astonishing. Amazing. Astonishing. Wait, I said that already! Wow. Really wow.

It was a fun thing to watch, and will be fun to see when L-B is done too.

5. Took you long enough! ;)
    It is beautiful. Just beautiful. Makes me want to revisit mine.

6. Man, I’m hungry and that humble pie tastes awfully good! ;-) Congratulations,Wendy! You have indeed proved that the knitting needles are mightier than the sword! I’m humbled by your prowess (or ability to go without sleep or your higher threshold for pain tolerance) Whatever it took, you’re the champion! And I will be turning up the speed again (hands rested) to at least my beat my own predicted time of 14 days. Stay tuned, everybody!

7. wow.

Just… wow.

Thats some fast knitting – and its wonderful.

8. Claudia W says:

Congrulations. What a beautiful sweater!! Can’t wait to see the next project.

9. Jeez, I feel like an idiot thinking it would take slightly over a week. I’m sorry to have doubted your speed and your competitive heart (c’mon, you lugged a sweater on the train).

10. Julie M. says:

Wow, that’s awesome! I guessed 2 a.m. this morning since you seem to be a night owl and I wasn’t too far off. Congratulations–it’s gorgeous. Go L-B!

11. Cathy W says:

I am impressed with your speed, but I’m blown away by the excellence of your knitting,at whatever speed!!
    Congradulations on your win.
    I am sure, however, that your competitor was unduly hampered by hand pain, and another knit off should be had next year!
    Cathy W

12. vanessa says:

beautimus :-) congrats!

13. I am in absolute awe at how fast you did that. Gorgeous sweater! And L-B’s looks beautiful too.

14. Beautiful sweater and at such speed!!!! You are the fastest knitter that I know of on this earth. A complicated pattern such as that at an astonishing speed and the beauty of it. Congrats!! I’ll stay tuned for your next venture.

15. You Go Girlfriend! I knew you could do it. Unfortunately I couldn’t bet on the date because my internet access was royally screwed up last week. Congratulations. Now that Kevin has seen it he wants one too.

16. So, on the Inishmore Speed Continuum, I’d say that at 18 months and counting, I’m dead last? Surely there’s a prize for that somewhere. I’m just sayin’… Well done there little missy!

17. Wow is all I can say. I feel a lttle breathless just looking.

18. Congratulations, Wendy! This is such an eye-opening experience for me … an Alice Starmore sweater in less than 2 weeks!
    L-B … I’m still cheering for you! ;)

19. Congratulations, Wendy! I feel silly, too — I guessed about 3 weeks? Pshaw! Next time I’ll know better. It’s really gorgeous, and so is L-B’s. Great knitting for a great cause!

20. *pops open the champagne* Congratulations!! L-B is a worthy opponent, though. And all the money you two raised! I’d gladly support another knitathon seeing all the knitter-love out there. :D

21. It is now OK to sleep.
    ;-)

22. Congratulations! If that ain’t some of the fastest Inishmore-knittin’ I ever did see! What a beauty! I’m looking forward to seeing L-B’s finished Inishmore, too.

23. Francie says:

You’re an inspiration and I am (belatedly) pulling out my Fisherman’s Sweaters book. Question(s): How much yarn did you end up using? Are your yardage estimates usually pretty accurate? What do you do if you run short or have a whole lot left over?

24. Juliette says:

y’all insane.

25. congratulation crazy lady! I can’t imagine doing it but I know how to appreciate it when I see it :)

26. Hot DAMN! Amazing woman, you.

27. You gonna sleep now??

28. Both you women are absolutely amazing. Congrats on your new personal best Wendy. The fundraiser and competition was ingenious and entertaining.

29. Brigitte says:

Man, it took me 5 months to do St. Brigid! That’s amazing – 8 days?!! And it looks just spectacular too! Wendy, what’s your record for the “quickest” Aran knit time?

30. So,Wendy, how does it feel to rest your hands and sleep? I wouldn’t know. ;-) Sorry,folks,for the lag-time in pics,but there will be a pic of the back I completed over the weekend tonight. Next pic will be Friday–I nearly finished the front last night but Mr. Sandman whisked me away whilst I was knitting. The last row bears no resemblance to the chart and was ripped at 5:30 am. I don’t recommend knitting Inishmore while asleep. Thanks for cheering me on! Come on, Lolly, you can catch up with me! :-)

31. Fabulous, just fabulous! Boy you are faaaasssst!!

32. Congratulations, Wendy. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing L-B’s finished product as well. I’m sure it will be fabulous.

And yay for what has been collected for the Foundation! I’m proud to be just a little part of that.

33. Susan Maurer says:

Congratulations! I am in awe of you, but not at all surprised. Good show! And lots of fun, too. Even though I didn’t win the guessing contest, thanks for all the fun contests, Wendy. I’ve really enjoyed this grudge match, but now it’s kind of like the day after Christmas. I can’t wait for the next one! Did you by any chance tally up the hours it took to knit Inish? And aren’t you glad it’s now F-Inishmore?

34. Say . . . are you going to be knitting all weekend this weekend (especially as this is the Memorial Day Weekend), or will you be taking time out for a bbq?

35. lv2knit says:

I am waiting for you to do a Starmore Fair Isle Grudge Match — but could you find a worthy opponent??

36. Treat yourself to a massage and a Deep Sleep…
    what a BEAUTIFUL sweater!
    I have to ask, though…
    what if newer knitters are so inspired by all of this
    gorgeousness and are unable to find the patterns or books
    that are rare as hen’s teeth?
    I know I am opening Pandora’s box here, but
    CURIOUS, am I,
    as always….

37. Hey Greta- I found a bunch of copies on Amazon.com. Resonable prices for the used one, too. :D You could also try half.com and overstock.com.

((I’ve bought FOUR knitting books this past week (2 Alice Starmore ones, Teva Durham’s one, and the Knitter’s Arans & Celtic). Shameless!!))

38. It’s amazing and beautiful and you are to be heartily congratulated for your speediness. I can see that Lucy thinks so, too.
    What’s next?

39. I think it is safe to say we all bow to the masters-both Wendy and L-B. “We are not worthy, we are not…”
    Congrats to both not only for the sweaters but also to all of that money raised. Knitting needles are powerful tools!

40. happyknitter says:

Wow! I can’t believe you can knit a full aran sweater in that short a time! Congratulations, it’s beautiful. I’ve been reading your blog for awhile, but haven’t commented yet, and I thought that this and the fact that a search on Google for “Wendy” brought up this page 3rd (!) merited comment. :)

41. happyknitter says:

And I meant to add that if you’re looking for a really quick fun stash project (also makes good gifts) go to margaretnicole.com– I’m on my first in some crappy old acrylic and it’s actually looking really very cute!

42. Congrats on finishing. So is the quickest you’ve ever knit an Aran sweater?

LB I had every faith in you, I’m still pretty sure Wendy had opposable thumbs surgically implanted on Lucy and she aided in the knitting. You’ll get her next time.

43. So who gets the finished sweater? Congrats, and double congrats on not dancing around sticking out your tongue singing “Nyah Nyah, I beat you L-B!” Or at least not telling us you did. Good sportsmanship, Wendy!

44. Wear it, wear it, wear it…we want pix! You rock.

45. Wow, that was some fast knitting!

Hey, feel like test-driving a newly-written, never been published lace-thingy pattern? I could use and “expert’s” opinion/advice/input.

46. Way to go Wendy! You too L-B! You ladies ROCK!

47. What’s faster than the speed light…WOW! You are so amazing…A job well-done and for such a worthy cause!

It’s beautifu Wendy!! Congratulations!!

48. My hands hurt just from reading your lightning speed progress.

Congrats!

49. Congratulations Wendy, you amazing woman you! That was a great grudge match! I have a suggestion for another one: a fiber-to-sweater match, heh heh. I know it’s called something else but I’m brainfarting with all the travel stuff right now.

Beautiful sweater!

50. The Fabric Monk says:

How many hours of knitting time did this take you?