The people have spoken! The winner of the Summer of Lace Button contest is Sammi, who submitted this button.
Sammi wins this:
425m of Opal Handpaint in shades of green. It would be great for a lace scarf, or socks.
Thanks to everyone who entered. All the buttons are great, and the voting was very close, I think.
Deborah Newton Lace Shawl
I finished the shawl on Friday. Here’s what it looked like pre-blocking.
I blocked it this afternoon. First, it relaxed in warm water w/ a mild detergent for 20 minutes.
I rinsed it carefully and gently squeezed out as much water as possible, then pinned it out on my carpet.
All I did was to pull out the points of the edging and anchor them down with T-pins. I do own blocking wires and thought I might use them in the straight edges of the shawl, but ended up not doing so.
I spent about half an hour crawling around on the floor, pinning and repinning the points to make sure the shawl was spread out evenly (ow, my back!). From time to time I measured across it to make sure I was getting an even width throughout.
It’s about 40 inches in width, and 106 inches long. The pattern lists the finished size as 40 by 80 inches. Mine is much longer, for some reason. I did the prescribed number of repeats so I’m not sure where the extra length came from. Possibly some difference in the yarn I used as opposed to the yarn used for the original.
Lucy is not sure what she thinks about this.
I started the Tina shawl — pix tomorrow!