It’s never good when you drive up to your home and there are fire engines parked outside.
I took today off work (and tomorrow as well, for that matter) and was out this morning doing the things that I took the day off to do. I stopped at the grocery store and then headed home. To see fire engines parked in my condo parking lot.
“Yikes,” I thought, but wasn’t too concerned. I live in a fairly large high-rise condo and we often have false alarms (most of them caused by charming juveniles pulling the fire alarm).
I drove into the garage and parked and went into the building. I smelled smoke as soon as I got in. Not a good sign, I’m thinking.
Did I leave and stand outside until we got the all clear? Heck, no. I took the fire stairs up to the tenth floor to my condo (schlepping my groceries — good workout there).
There was far less smoke smell outside my condo, which was encouraging. When I entered my condo, I was met by poor Lucy who was somewhat agitated — the fire alarm in my building is really loud. She immediately calmed down upon seeing me, so we hung out there, occasionally looking out the window to see if the fire engines were still there. After about two hours of this, they left. End of crisis, I guess.
Do I count myself extremely lucky? You bet your sweet bippy I do.
And during that whole time, I never once thought to take a photo for the blog. Imagine that.
So after all that, I figured the best thing to do was to block the Vårblommor Shawl, because I did suck it up and finish the edging last night. That’s what Monday holidays are for, n’est-ce pas?
I am very pleased with how this blocked out. It’s hard to see the pattern because it does not show up well against a background of beige carpet. But here is a close-up of the upper flower pattern:
And one of the border pattern, which is supposed to be larger flowers — it sorta looks like flowers:
And the edging around the point:
Speaking of edging, Snow asked:
When you’re designing a shawl edging of your own, how do you decide what sort of method to turn the corner? I’ve learned a lot of different methods over the years and have yet to find one that I always like. Do you have a favorite?
The way I attached the edging was to knit one stitch of the edge of the shawl together with the end stitch of the edging on every other row. For a few stitches before and after the center point, I attached the edging to the body of the shawl on every fourth row instead of every other row, to make the edging fuller around the point. It’s not terribly scientific, but it does seem to work.
And I’m all for an easy life!
I started something simple — a little lace scarf in some yummy qivuit.
I joined a Qivuit Knit-along that was scheduled to start yesterday, and cast on for my scarf last night.
I futzed around with it a bit last night — started with 44 stitches on a US size 4 needle, but it was much wider and looser than I wanted. Those of us with a short neck don’t need a really wide scarf, ya know?
So I ripped it back to the beginning this morning and re-cast on 36 stitches on a US size 3 needle. I’m much happier with the results.
The yarn is 100% qivuit, fingering weight. I have a total of 4 ounces, 440 yards. Ought to be able to crank out a nice large scarf with that.
It’s Moco Yarns, hand-dyed in the “Lupine” colorway, purchased from Caryll Designs. The yarn is yummers!
I think I’ll work on it exclusively for a couple of days, and then cast on for Kim Hargreaves’ Dew, the kit for which I bought last month. Then the scarf will become commuter knitting. I need a bit of a break from hauling large projects on the train.
Speaking of breaks, I plan not to post tomorrow, but will return on Thursday, with photos of a blocked and dry Vårblommor Shawl.