1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

New Stuff

Finished my socks, finished my sweater. So there’s new stuff in the works!

But First

A report on the alpaca socks I finished over the weekend. I wore them all day on Sunday. I schlepped around in the rain, going to the grocery store, putting gas in the car (ouch!) and made a couple of trips back and forth from car to home.

At the end of the day I handwashed the socks — soaked them in warm water with a mild soap for half an hour. Rinsed them, and put them in the dryer until they were just barely dry.

socks042406 New Stuff

They came out looking perfect. They did not felt a bit, even though I was wearing athletic shoes that rubbed the heel of the socks slightly because the shoes were a tad large for the finer gauge socks.

So. New Socks.

socktoe042306 New Stuff

Teddy is happy to pose wearing the new sock toe.

That is Opal Rainforest Tiger sock yarn. I made a pair of socks from the original Opal Tiger sock yarn in 2002. This yarn differs slightly in the colorway — there’s a sort of caramel-colored shade, in addition to the black, cream, and orange.

I’m actually a lot further along now:

sock042406 New Stuff

These socks are for the KOARC — he picked the yarn out of my new (ahem) sock yarn stash. See what a fun-loving guy he is? I did promise not to knit his socks in Feather and Fan, by the way.

Upon seeing the sock in progress, he commented “Better not let Phyl see that sock.”

More!

I also started a new sweater.

deirdre042406 New Stuff

This is what I knitted a swatch for towards the end of last week. It’s Rowan Calmer in the color “Calmer,’ and the design is my own. I’m calling it Deirdre. It will be a long-sleeve pullover with waist shaping.

I really like this cable. Because the design is fitted, I wanted a nice flat motif that wouldn’t stand out too much and add bulk to the sweater. This cable fits the bill perfectly.

deirdre042406a New Stuff

Lucy Sez

lucy042406 New Stuff

“Hmmmmm, I think tomorrow’s date is significant in some way. April 25 – what could it be?

Comments

1. Wow. Wendy, that sweater already looks so neat and dainty! and congratulations on tomorrow’s date, I look forward to seeing your book! What needle size are you using for the Calmer sweater?

2. April 25th THE OFFICAL PUBLICATION DATE OF “WENDY KNITS”!!
    Have you added “Author” to your resume yet?

Congratulations!

3. I have already read Wendy Knits from cover to cover, having purchased it last week at Borders Bookstore. It was bedtime reading over several evenings. I loved the ending : )

4. Publication date: April 25, 2006

5. Congrats on the publication date tomorrow!

Hope all continues to go well. Love the TIGER socks for the KOARC.

6. I like the tiger stripes! And I will go out and buy your book tomorrow on it’s birthday since I found a forgotten barnes & noble card while cleaning my house. YAY!

I a relatively new sock knitter. I’m working on a pair of top down socks, but… I feel like I’m not making any progress. I know how to do short rows, do you think it would be better for me to start with a toe-up pattern to deal with the boredom of k3p3 ribbing?

7. Congratulations on your book! It hasn’t arrived on bookshelves here yet, but I’m hopeful it will be arrive soon.

8. I want those tiger socks!

9. Congrats on the “offical” date, Wendy! Love the book!

10. ooohhh! I ‘heart’ Deirdre already! That’s a lovely cable pattern. My copy of your book is being shipped today!

11. Love the tiger stripes – and I really, really love Deirdre! Please tell us that design will be in your next book. :)

Speaking of your book…my local bookseller wouldn’t put it out on the shelves till its official release date…15 more hours (cough cough)… Can’t wait to see it! And congratulations!

12. Gotta love that Opal Tiger. We were gifted a pair of baby socks made from that yarn, so I’ll be making matching tiger socks for me and the husband guy.

13. I found a lone copy of your book today at Books-a-million and needless to say, I bought it without even looking at it! BAM usually takes months to get new knitting books in, so I am way impressed. I’m off to read now :)

14. Raye, mother of the other Capricorn Wendy, in NYC says:

I’m so excited. I got an e-mail notice that your book shipped today. I can’t wait. I’ll definitely have it in time for MS&W so you can autograph it.

15. That cable is glorious.

April 25, huh? It’s…five days after my birthday! No? Oh…huh…nope, can’t think of anything. ;)

(Congratulations!)

16. My birthday. ;)

17. OMG where *did* you get the Wallace & Grommitt dolls?!?!?!

Congrats on Book Publication Day!! :)

18. Wow!……tiger socks!….as in “hold that tiger, hold that tiger” song?……you could start a trend with those…..

is the cable (gorgeous….as are all you do)….the horseshoe?…..

There should be fireworks tomorrow morning…..and clapping on the Metro…….all day long in fact……brava!….

19. It’s your ‘baby’s’ (book) birthday tomorrow! Hope you drink champagne, and knit, and put a party hat on Lucy. If she’ll let you.

I can’t wait to see that book!

20. Ooo, book publication date, how exciting!!! Congratulations! If I was you I’d be standing at the front of Barnes & Noble with a big sign directing people to your book.

I hope there will be at least some uncorkage of champagne.

21. Rachel H says:

I’m with Jessica – please let us know where you found the Wallace and Gromit dolls! There’s a 5 yo boy at my house who is quite possibly their biggest fan.

Congrats on the official release date. That’s what the champagne test drive was for, I presume? Did you only try one variety or several, just to be sure you had the taste most befitting the occasion?

22. April 25–free cone day at Ben and Jerry’s!

23. MamaLana says:

Dear Wendy, Amazon just wrote to say they’ve shipped your book. Yay.
    I made my late DH a pair of Alpaca socks that he loved dearly! Every time they were washed, they felted a little, but never enough to be unwearable. I love alpaca!! P.S. Lucy is, as ever, adorable.
    –MamaLana

24. Oh! I thought that was Tigger!!
    Nice socks!

25. Love the alpaca socks-they look so soft and comfy. I can’t wait to read your book-I’m going to run out and buy a copy tomorrow, CONGRATS!

By the way, I met L-B over the weekend and she wanted to be sure I told you that she was behaving herself at the yarn store-I’m a witness.
    :) see you at sheep & wool

26. I was looking at Barnes and Noble on Sunday night to see if they’d put your book out yet ;} but they had not. So now I guess I’ll have to go get a caramel latte tomorrow and see if it’s there!

Best wishes for a wildly successful sale! (How could it be otherwise?)

27. If those socks should happen to turn out a bit on the small side, say to feet size 8 1/2. I know another pair of feet that would be happy to have those! Just sayin’.

Can you believe the day is finally here!?!? Congratulations on the book and I’m hoping everyone runs out to get a copy!

28. Congratulations on the book. It is quite lovely and an enjoyable read. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I confess to being thouroughly jazzed to now have my hands on the Grape Arbor Shawl. It is gorgeous. Thank you!

29. I received notice yesterday from Amazon that they had begun the shipment on your book so I should get it tomorrow :)

I think Lucy sez she wants some tiger socks.

30. Hindrek in Vancouver says:

I ordered it over the weekend from Chapters (here in Canada). It shipped this am. Looking forward to reading it! I hope that Lucy has her own autographed copy……

31. Yay for publication dates!

And yay for Lucy for being astute enough to know that, even if most of the “fans” out here already have their copies. (Nabbed mine last week, and have forced myself to put it down so I can finish a sleeve on mom’s mother’s day sweater. It’s the only way I’ll actually -knit- the thing before the day in question. I think there’s an actual mathematical equation of some sort that says that the last twenty rows of the final sleeve takes forty-seven times the amount of time it took for the rest of the sweater, and that that time is directly inverse to the amount you love the yarn being knitted. Or somesuch.)

I babble. A lot. Congrats, though. :)

32. Thanks for the report on the alpaca socks. I found out the hard way how easy it is to felt pure alpaca when I untentionally felted a feather-and-fan shawl made in Inca Alpaca just enough to blur the design…after several successful washings, too, so it was really an unpleasant surprise. But I love alpaca so much and have always wanted to try some socks with it.

I, too, am waiting for my copy of your book from Amazon. It will be a nice treat later this week! Congratulations.

33. I love that cable too – dainty without being fussy. Happy book-publishing day!

34. Kris in TX says:

Well, it might be the birthday of WendyKnits, which I am running out for, but it is also my and DH’s 19th wedding anniversary!

35. Looking forward to getting your hot little book in my hot little hands! Congrats on this wonderful accomplishment! =)

36. Happy Pub Date! Get ready to rock & roll!

Congrats and enjoy, xox Kay

37. Congratulations on officially being able to add Author to your resume!

Your KOARC is much braver than my EMTBoy. I showed him those tiger socks and he said uh uh. Not in a million years. But some nice blue stripes would be nice.

At least I get to do stripes.

38. Congrats on the book! Love the tiger socks. The cable is very pretty.

39. Oh, how I love cables. Let me count the ways. The new sweater is looking pretty good already! Now can we get that in GREEN?????

40. Congrats on your book b-day! Hope it has to go for reprint!

41. Brigitte says:

Very cool Wendy! Congratulations! I can’t wait to get my copy, and dive in. I pre-purchased mine through a small, independant book-seller so I may have to wait another week, but I’m sure it will be well worth it!!!!

42. I am SO interested in Diedre. Any plans to make it available to us poor non-designing knitters?

43. I really like the pattern and color you have chosen for Deirdre. I can’t wait to see how it progresses.
    But i am really lovin your Wallace and Gromit!!! Where did you find them, i can only find the action figures(which i have 3 of:) )
    And Big Congrats on your book!!! What a great Accomplishment!!

44. ok, so you need to give me props for being close on the yarn. Calmer is the twin from another mother, er manufacturer, to Roma!!! looks great!

45. anne marie says:

happy birthday wendy knits
    happy birthday wendy knits
    the publishing’s done
    and the fun’s just begun!
    (sung to the old familiar standard)

celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music! (three dog night)

anne marie in philly

46. Is that a banana leaf cable I spy on the sweater?

I adore the Opal Tiger, having made myself some socks out of it recently (from the new stock). If you still have the first socks out of the original Tiger, I’d love to see a side by side comparison of the yarn.

47. Happy Official Book Release Day!!!!!

48. Congrats on your book – it’s next on my list. ;-)

I’m delighted to see your new sweater’s name – don’t see that too often! And it looks lovely (of course!). For anyone wondering, it’s pronounced Dear-dra.

49. My son still wants tiger socks from the Opal yarn you sent me, but he already got a skein of the blue/green Regia. I told him I’ll have to think about it, but we all know he’ll probably win.

Your Deirdre sweater sounds very interesting. Can’t wait to see more of it.

50. Got my copy! I feel honored to have known you when….(well at least your blog)

Congratulations! I think a California yarn tour is in order…

51. I agree with the other comments on Deirdre — one of my favorite names, and it looks like it will be a gorgeous sweater. I second the request for the pattern in the future, too.

I already ordered my copy of “Wendy Knits,” to be shipped today. And in case it doesn’t arrive before Saturday, I’ll gift it and buy a copy to have you autograph.

Can’t wait to meet you at your LYS this weekend!

52. April 25th, I head down to Barnes and Noble at lunch to get my copy of Wendy Knits! No where to be found. Grrr. Maybe it’s in the back room waitig to be unpacked. Checked with Help Desk, “It’s not in the store, but we can order it for you and it will be here in a week.”

Hello????? I want it NOW!!!!! Am not driving all over creation, so I come home and order it from Amazon. I can wait 3-5 days. Yes, I can. :-)

53. Congratulations! How did you celebrate? :)

54. Book Publication Day + Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry’s. Is there a more perfect day in the universe???

55. I couldn’t wait to tell you that a Virginia Beach Borders has got a pallet of your books. I called today and almost freaked when the guy said he would have to check to see if the book came at all. What do you mean, if it came at all???? Lucky for me he was a good boy and put my name on a copy from the back. I can’t wait to read it. I was going to wait until Friday to pick it up but I don’t think I can wait so I’ll be going to Borders tonight to get my book. Yipee!!!!

56. My book came in today’s mail!!! I did a very brief flip-through, found it amazing, and can’t wait to really sit down and read … as as matter of fact, off I go now. Thanks, Wendy, for your wonderful blog … and for what I’m sure will be an equally wonderful book. YOU ROCK!

57. MamaLana says:

I am obviously in the minority: I like the old Opal tiger yarn socks more than the new ones. The older yarn is more “primitive” and thus more “animalistic.” However, sweetie, as I love all your socks, I can only remark most favorably on this latest effort. You are such a fabulous knitter. PS I Love Lucy!
    –MamaLana