Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

Could It Be . . . A Sleeve?

deirdre060806 Could It Be . . .  A Sleeve?

Why, yes, it is. Alert the media.

And I even managed to start the second sleeve.

deirdre060806a Could It Be . . .  A Sleeve?

I plan to take said second sleeve on my quick trip to Philly this weekend. If tomorrow night’s train is late (as it appears to have been every day for the past week) I ought to get a lot of sleeve knitting done.

I will also bring the black violet sock yarn and my sock needles that are already conveniently stained purple from the first sock. In case of major train delays and I finish the sleeve (Get me. I said “finish the sleeve” — laugh along with me. I’m so amusing.), or in case of severe sleeve ennui, I can start the second sock.

I dunno if the stain on the needles will rub off on other yarn. I don’t think so — the dye on my fingers would not rub off on anything. It was only with copious scrubbing with water and some detergent that it came off. But still — I think I’ll keep these needles for darker yarn and use pristine needles for lighter colors.

Saturday!

As I mentioned above, I’ll be in Philadelphia on Saturday, visiting two yarn shops to sign books and chat with knitters:

From noon til 2:00 pm I’ll be at The Tangled Web, and from 3:00 til 5:00 pm I’ll be at Loop.

I hope I’ll see some of you Philly area knitters!

Lucy says she’d love to come too, but she’s a homebody at heart.

lucy060806 Could It Be . . .  A Sleeve?

Comments

1. I had dye stain needles from a handpaint yarn once. It never came off on anything else. Just so you know… but I probably would be careful of whites for a few “knittings”

2. Am I starting to sound like an obsessive stalker when I beg and plead for you to head out to California? I think not. ๐Ÿ™‚

Come on, Wendy, picture it …. a nice tour through a Napa Valley vineyard, gorgeous yarn shops, amazingly cool weather …. the whole shabang. Of course, after a wine tasting, Diedre might look REALLY interesting!

My cat reminds me to send greetings to Lucy. So hi to Lucy from Bug, a Maine Coone in the Bay Area.

And yes, I’m mildly insane. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Have a great time in my hometown! I will be there too, but unfortunately my time is spoken for – have a cheesesteak and think of me!

4. Lucy looks so serious… like she’s solving the problems of the world!

Because of the slower progress on Deirdre, I’m beginning to think you’re human after all :0) heeheehee

Calmer is just an amazingly soft yarn!

5. The pattern on that sleeve is beautiful.

Enjoy Philly (my hometown!). Unfortunately, I don’t live there anymore or I’d be at Loop for sure!

Come to Florida….please

6. Constance says:

I’m only 30 mins. from either event on public transportation, no way I won’t make one them.
    My motto the the day will be “Book Signing Or Bust”

7. Yay! Sleevey, sleevey! I’m with you on the sleeve ennui. Funny how that happens… you start to see cables and such when you close your eyes…

8. MamaLana says:

Is it my imagination, or is Lucy getting more and more beautiful? Could it be the excellent care she is getting from you and The King? Congrats on all your book-signing activities, and thank you for inspiring so many of us. And thanks for the cute cat pictures! Best regards from Puma’s MamaLana in Arlington.

9. could ya would ya send Lucy over here to kick my butt and get me moving on my second sleeve?
    I’m afraid to run out of yarn..heheh

10. Have fun……the sleeve is looking divine……and yes, Alison, a trip to CA is in order…….stop in Sacramento & see AH NOLD…..then to SF, Napa……..we can plan this, all you have to do is “go West, knitter!”…..

11. FLORIDA in January or BUST!! I’m just sayin’ ๐Ÿ™‚

Have fun in Philly!

12. Meribeth says:

I have been watching the progress on Dierdre with copious drool and heart palpitrations. Wendy, it is beyond stunning!

Although you may get bored (fed up?) with it, is is gorgeous! Are you going to publish this?? Huh? Please?

Now, if I could only get over my boredom with the Socks From Hell…size 13 foot, with a very oddly shaped ankle…that never seems right or ever seem to end. Telling you this because I really do feel your pain…kinda.

13. catspaw says:

I’ve had dye problems of a similar sort and once it did rub off the needles onto another project. The nasty part was it didn’t do that right away but waited until I was a few inches into the knitting – maybe the heat or friction loosened the dye particles but it was a pain. I’d give the stained needles a good scrub with alocohol,soap and water. Obviously, if they’re wood or bamboo needles, dry them right away (hairdryer works well or just lay them in a sunny spot after toweling) and maybe wax them afterwards. They may always retain a little color though.

14. I just love Lucy’s blue eyes. Have a safe trip.

15. Christine says:

See you at the Tangled Web!

16. I shudder at the very thought of taking a cat on any train. No wonder Lucy is a homebody.

If Deirdre is taking *you* this long to knit, I fear it’s something I might not ever be able to finish. But it is really lovely, and I can’t wait to see how it looks all finished.

17. Lucy and I are on the same page – being a homebody is a good thing! The sleeve is gorgeous and the mate will be along before you know it. Have a great time and don’t forget to take pictures!

18. PLEASE come to Sacramento. I will be there or nowhere. Bring Lucy and she can meet Pudgie Mocha and and her mom Mama Mia…her long lost “twins”. We love the pictures of Lucy, because she looks like and poses like my Princess Pudgie. Even my husband gets a kick from them. The Deidre sweater will be just so beautiful. Love your book and blog (the best)

19. Priscilla says:

See you at Loop! I am so excited that I am willing time to go faster!!! Loop is my most favorite LYS and I hope you will love it too.

20. I am reading the book and I love it. I am getting ready to cast on for your toe up socks. I do top down all the time and can do the Kitchener in my sleep, but yours seem so easy, i just have to try.
    As for the dye- have you tried hair spray? I use it on all my ink stains and it gets them out really well. As a former nurse and a current substitue teacher (hours are so much better) ink stains are very common in pockets and on stuff. A little spritz of hairspray and the inks gone. It also works well on stains that other nurses said would never come out (some of the liquid drugs we gave had really obnoxious colors and stained really bad).
    Lucy is gorgeous. She reminds me of the Himilayan we had when we first got married. We had to give her to a loving family when we moved overseas, but when we got back, we did adopt a rescued kitty who has discovered the joys of living with someone who knits and crochets. He doesn’t eat the pointy sticks, so he obviously knows what joys come from them.

21. I’m a long time dyer and spinner, and recently heard that some dyes when knit, do come off a bit on the hands as a result of the heat and oil of the hands, and could come off on bamboo needles, but that it isn’t necessarily a bad dye job…hope this gives some relief…cedar

22. I’m sure the nice folks at Loop passed my message along, but it bears repeating, anyway: I’m really, really, really sorry I missed you yesterday, especially after all those screens o’verbiage about how I was, in fact, going to be at Loop. There’s a lesson to be learned here, namely: Do not buy twenty pounds of fruit for jam during a week that a) is full of business trips and b) precedes one’s vacation plans in Snowballville, CO.

On the plus side, we have a lot of jam now, in quantities that would make one say “whoa, nelly”, even if one is not a whoa-nelly-saying sort of person.

I do look forward to hearing how the weekend went!