1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

Dear Ann & Kay

You guys know that I love you, right? Your blog is one of my favorite reads. I’ve watched with rapt attention while Ann was on bluebird watch. I’ve felt sympathetic pangs while Kay packed up all her knitting paraphenalia in the face of home renovation.

And Ann & Kay? I love your book! I enjoyed my first read-through immensely, and have gone back to thumb through it on a number of occasions.

But Ann & Kay? I blame you. Oh, how I blame you! Before I bought your book, I would have just happily tossed those bits of leftover sock yarn in a bag and forgotten about them. But then I had to go buy your book.

And now look at me. I am knitting a log cabin blanket out of sock yarn.

logcabin071606 An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

Oh, dear Ann & Kay, I am obsessed. And it is your fault. (Well, actually, I blame Cara too. All those lovely photos of pretty little log cabin squares. Really, you guys just don’t play fair.)

logcabin071606a An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

Now, I am obsessed. Obsessed, I tell you. I cannot put this stupid thing down. I have to stop at the end of each row to admire it. Worse, I make the KOARC admire it at the end of every row too. I have threatened the KOARC with a log cabin sweater. (KOARC says that’ll be fine — he’ll wear it when he hangs out with Bill Cosby.)

So. A log cabin blanket. It ain’t gonna be pretty. Because I am just randomly adding sock yarn. Willy-nilly. Without thinking about whether the colors clash or not.

logcabin071606b An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

The up-side to that? If Lucy barfs on it, no one will notice.

logcabin071606c An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

I’m thinking this will be a never-ending work in progress. Well, as long as I am knitting socks, it will be never-ending. I plan to make just one square, and let it just grow as it will.

logcabin071606d An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

In aid of this endeavor, I finished my Fleece Artist socks.

seashoresocks071606 An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

More odds and ends to add to the blanket!

logcabinyarn071606 An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

And I started a new sock.

sip071606 An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

This is knit from Schaeffer Anne, which is a wool/mohair/nylon blend. Very nice sock yarn — the mohair adds a lovely silkiness.

But the one thought in my mind?

sip071606a An Open Letter to Ann & Kay

That red is gonna look wicked cool in my log cabin blanket.

Ann & Kay, you have a lot to answer for.

Love,
Wendy

Comments

1. That is going to be one awesome blanket.

2. Marti J. says:

Isn’t that Schaefer Ann Yarn gorgeous!?! I’m doing a pair of socks in your pattern (w/feather & fan in the leg parts) and the color is seriously beautiful blues/purples/reds/greens … a deep blend of these colors, and I have to check out every row upon completion, just like you do with the log cabin blocks. Frankly, you have as much to answer for as Ann & Kay … and I love you for it!

3. Sometimes I think I knits socks just for the leftovers. Sick huh?

4. Must be something with that spiraled construction… You know, hypnotic!
    I’ll stay on the safe side : never start one! Old plain socks are addictive enough, ain’t them?

5. I’ve gone and started knitting mitred squares for a sock yarn blanket, as well! I’m wondering how much yarn I can take off of an unused ball and still make a sock. Why wait for the leftovers? And I DO NOT have time for this. My fair entry socks are due a week from Tuesday!!!!

6. Sadly, I’m hooked, too. I just picked up a carload of Mission Falls overstock for the express purpose of making another Log Cabin blanket.

I had no idea it could be so darned infectiously free-flowing.

7. Oh that Shaeffer Anne IS gorgeous. That red! Wow. It does remind me of the Red Hat Society though. Hmm…perhaps my mom would like a pair in that colorway.

8. I’m a little obsessed with the log-cabining myself. So much so that I made it a verb, such as “I’m going to log cabin a blanket for my Mom.” Or, “Wow, that was super smart of Wendy to think of log-cabining with sock yarn.” Gerunding! :)

I wonder if someone could figure out how to log cabin a SOCK?

9. Oh-Oh, I just ordered the book (along with yours I might add) and expect them to arrive Monday. And I have TONS of sock yarn leftovers too. Now I’m worried that I’ll succumb to this addiction as well.

10. That Anne is such a pretty color! It’ll be AWESOME!
    Great socks!

11. Ah, but wait till you make a Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono. That was the M-D pattern I found totally addictive! :) Your blanket looks great, and Lucy appears to be taking a liking to it, too!

12. great idea for leftover sock yarn!
    here is another one:

but who says you have to wait for it to be leftovers? just use yarn as you please. god knows we all have much of it…………………..

13. Sorry, but the line about Lucy barfing on the blanket thoroughly cracked me up! It’s not funny (well, I have cats too, and it’s not pleasant for them), yet it is funny in a, well, irreverant Wendy-way…LOL!

Hey, can I ask a question? Do you increase the stitches for feather & fan for any other reason than to make the repeats match up? Or does it need it for size reasons around the ankle? I’m pretty small boned, and I’m thinking if I up it 12 stitches it might sag around my feet. Dunno.

Thanks!

14. I’m wondering if the blanket becomes cumbersome as it grows – does it become difficult to add on a new row and still keep it looking fairly neat? I’m afraid that as the rows increase the weight will distort them.

15. I too am fixated on the log cabin — sock yarn would be fabulous, but mine is out of knit picks pallette.

16. Oh not to worry about the obsession – just go over to the Mason Dixon KAL blog and you can find all the others that are addicted also. It’s an epidemic.

17. Welcome to my world. Last Christmas I bought 12 skeins of pima cotton that I had planned to use for socks. Then I bought Ann and Kay’s book. Next thing I know, I’m ordering 12 more skeins of pima cotton so that I’ll have enough for a Really Big Pima Cotton Log Cabin Blanket, and I’m up to my elbows in garter stitch.

Oh, sure, it’s beautiful. And fun. I’m sorry, what was the question again? :)

I’m a Schaeffer Anne fan, too. I could stare at those color gradations all day — and the resulting socks ain’t too shabby, either.

18. Och, I’m such a clod. I totally forgot to mention how beauteous your socks look. And the Log Cabin blankie made entirely out of sock yarn? I’ll bet it comes out prettier than you think it will.

19. Ha ha! All that time where we all got to blame you for our kitting habits and now you finally get to see what it’s like from our side of the couch! A.x

20. Oh, they got you, too?! That Ann & Kay, they’re like the knitting Borg, with their blankets and dishrags.
    And, you’re right– that red will look wicked cool in the blanket. In fact, that makes me wonder what leftover sock yarn I have stashed away… . So much for finishing anything else in the forseeable future.

21. Wendy, you are one Bad Ass Knitter! I think it’s very nifty to let the blanket colors just happen. =)

I’m visiting the folks just south of Richmond and got to visit The Yarn Lounge Friday. Still trying to make my way to Holly Spring Homespun.

Anyway, I hope you are staying cool this weekend. Mom and I just finished an all-day yard sale…in the 95 degrees F heat. Icky Sticky.

22. P.S. Schaefer Anne is one of my fave sock yarns. I knit the Broadripples using a colorway very similar to yours.

23. Log cabin fever has hit my neck of the woods, too. At least two people in my knit group are working on them, and I’m seriously considering it. If I had what I wanted to use for it on hand, it’d be on the needles already.

24. Dude. I could’ve totally warned you. Life will never be the same.

25. Making a mental note to take the Mason-Dixon Knitting book off my wish list until I have more projects finished. Thanks for the PSA.

26. I see the bug has bitten you too! At least it’s not just me :)

27. AHA!…….chickens coming home to roost…..as some of us feel that way re: this blog & your book!…….really like the idea of a sweater for the KOARC!……and isn’t it nice to have such immediate feed back (sorry for that!) from Lucy!

28. I am making one for a new baby. I hesitated about using cotton. I was afraid it would squash the baby.And be really awkward laundering for the new Mum. I figured if there is one thing that is going to take a lot of baby type abuse it would be a blanket. What better then machine washable sock yarn. So far, lets just say it looks different :D My daughter said it is ugly enough that the kid will probably be dragging it around for years. Much to the parents dismay :D

29. Wendy, are you knitting your sock yard log cabin with a single strand of sock yarn? What size needles? Surely you’ve sized up from your zeros?

30. oh no – another thing to obsess about!
    Now i will definitely need to get to a knitting group – I have finished “a year of scarves”, did 2 or 3 hats and am trying my first garment –
    \(a ribbon tank top, which despite making THREE swatches, may fit my 9 year old better than me….
    i will of course add to my hugh knitting library and buy this book too. my husband doesnt see the point of knitting washrags! I personally LOVE using them as washclothes for baths and showers.
    anyway, Wendy – I love your website, and just wish I knew how to knit socks!
    oh – the question i have – is it necessary”"
    to use sock yarn for these quilts?
    Deborah

31. Knock it off, and I mean this instant. Don’t you know I got the book last weekend and it’s all I can do to finish the stupid socks I’m on without casting on a dishrag, a baby bib, or God forbid a large project like a log cabin blanke? You are totally killing me here. I have a birthday deadline for these socks, I’m tellin’ ya! And then only three more pairs of birthday socks to make.
    The least you could do is tell me how entirely long it will take you, how overwhelmed you’re feeling about how much yarn it will take, how you’ll never have enough scraps to finish it…..
    I can’t take it, I REALLY WANT TO GO CAST ONE ON!!!

32. Looks like it’s going to be a cool blanket.
    Love the red sock yarn.

33. KnitMary says:

Hey, all you lucky people who were the recipients of Wendy’s sock yarn give-away had better look out. In about a week when she’s run through all the sock yarn in her house she will be banging on your doors at 4:45 am to get that yarn back. 4:45? Yes! So she can make that train.

btw, The heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono looks fab done in Dale Baby Ull at 6 sts per inch. I just couldn’t imagine my granddaughter dressed in a dish rag.

34. A blanket that gets bigger and bigger! Lucy will be pleased!
    Now, I’m seriously tempted to cast on.

35. Sue in OH says:

So now I don’t feel so bad, today I went to my guild’s ‘dye day’ and was hand painting 25 cotton T shirts for a M-D rug.
    Of course no one can laugh at me after my friend showed up with the ‘ball band dishcloth’ knitted as a Swiffer cover!
    Now you have to knit more socks to support the blanket.

36. Sheri in St. Louis says:

Yep – they got me with that Log Cabin Blanket, too. Darn it.

37. OMG a Wendy’s Leftovers Log Cabin. I cannot ponder that without awe. Teeny stitches of only the finest sock yarns in the world.

You do realize that as it gets bigger, you are going to be striping those strips, or making them really, really skinny, or…..BUYING MORE YARN just to have enough for the blanket’s needs. Just sayin.

If we have converted YOU to garter stitch in straight strips, that goes on and on forever….I guess our work is done.
    xox Kay

38. The blanket, it will be gorgeous!! Yes, Ann & Kay have much to answer for. Let me just warn you – don’t even knit one of those bibs, no matter how cute you think they are, or what a great last-minute shower gift a 3-pack would make… because they’re like potato chips. You can’t knit just one or two or three or…

39. Ooooo BEAUTIFUL! I’m so jealous… I had to scrap mine when it didn’t come out right.

40. Oh dear! This has spread to England too. I got the book shipped over and the first thing I started was the log cabin blanket. You are so right about addiction!

41. I too wondered about whether you double stranded the yarn and what size needles you were using!

And nooooooo. I’m still resisting the log cabin! So far. Only because I would need a large stash of yarn for that. Shhh.

42. I am totally laughing out loud because the same thing happened to me this weekend. I started a log cabin blanket and now I just can’t put it down. It’s like crack – try it once and you may become instantly addicted. (not that I have any direct experience with that.)

43. Aara Suksi says:

Ann and Kay are in my bad books for the same reason: obsessive log cabinning. But what about YOU, Wendy? It’s your fault that I have a Bohus kit from Sweden waiting in my stash until I have the fortitude to take it on.

Aara

44. Looks like Lucy has claimed the blanket for her own,quick!More socks!

45. What a clever idea! I’ve had log cabin dreams since I picked up the book, too. But it never occurred to me to use sock yarn leftovers–even though it makes perfect sense to do so, since that’s exactly how log cabin quilts developed, from scraps and leftovers. Brilliant.

46. Wendy, do you have any advice as to how to pick up the stitches on the log cabin? Are you picking up between the ridges? Single strand? I’ve been working on one square and keep ripping out because the back looks so sloppy. Thanks!

47. lol. They had me at cotton.

Now I just need to move beyond the ballband washclothes….

48. My mother’s mother,Viola, a prolific baker, canner,and needlewoman made a long cabin quilt for all of her 40 plus grandchildren, not to mention lace edged hankerchiefs( male grand- children did not get these) and embroidered pillow cases. In my mind’s eye there is nothing like a log cabin quilt. Your colors are going to be just beautiful when all is knitted and done.

49. Anne Schaeffer says:

Just want to say that I am Anne Schaefer and I have been knitting for at least 50 years.I think this is a lovely tribute having a yarn named after me. I will surely knit on and guess what yarn I will use???

50. OK, you got me!! I don’t have much left over sock yarn but I think I’ll make a log cabin with the leftover yarn when ever I finish a project!!! It may be fugly but I’ll love it! Thanks for the inspiration! Jane

51. Well crap. Now you’ve gone and done it. Left-over sock yarn – genius. My little mind is smoking at the possibilities. Thanks. I can add you to the list of Ann, Kay, and Cara when I start blaming people.

52. Another Sally says:

I love that you’re hooked, too! I’m doing one in Artyarns sock yarn and it’s going to cost a small (medium, large) fortune by the time I’m done but I just fell in love with the yarn AND the log cabin so I HAD to do it. I’m also doing the Baby Moderne in a cotton yarn. Everything in this book is so addictively fun. Glad you’re hooked, too, and hope you’ll post on the KAL.

53. Yeah, same thing happened to me when I saw this modular sock-yarn-leftovers blanket. http://www.shellykang.com/Blog/2006/07/feed-my-obsession.html Sigh.

54. Oh. No. A former quilter, totally addicted to fabric. Who ADORES LOG CABIN. An addicted Sock Knitter (thanks to YOU, Wendy!). Who adores SOCK YARN. With cats who also barf. Hmmm…Guess I gotta succumb, do I not? {sigh}
    Wendy, you addict me to high-quality sock yarns with your Birthday Contest, toe-up socks with your terrific patterns (yes, the Feather & Fan’s are next), speak to me with your cat photos, YOU are as bad as Ann & Kay!
    Gotta go buy the book. Gotta buy new sock yarns…Gotta, just GOTTA do a log cabin blanket…
    My bank account will never be the same again…
    And just when am I going to get my lace shawls knitted in all this?????
    (never mind about my knitting/totebag business)

And I love that Shaeffer Anne sock yarn, too – the colors are stunning!
    lololololol
    (((hugs)))

55. The Fleece Artist socks are beautyfull! You sure have tiny feet. And that Schaeffer Anne is something else. I just got two skeins of Anne in a swap and can’t wait to use it.

I’m ignoring the log cabin portion of your post, socks are addicting enough.

56. uh-oh. My Barbies might have to wear last year’s designs because I’m off on a kick to knit an afghan for myself…..and stolen “their” left=over sock yarn. My gosh. The modular one would suit me. I need one that can drape across my rectangluar shape as I lay reclined on my chair, and serve as a bed for my 50 lb lap dog. Oh. My. Gosh. A modular afghan of left-over sock yarn. Of course. Winter is coming, time to get busy anyway making sockyarn socks and mittens and hats. For the leftovers :)

Carol

57. Anne is my favorite yarn in the world. It’s amazing for lacework too.

58. It cracks me up that you make the KOARC admire it after every row! That blanket is going to be huge! And so pretty!

59. bibliotecaria says:

Just to be different — on a totally unrelated topic — a reflection of last year’s Summer of Lace — I am close to finishing my first major lace shawl and the pattern says, so helpfully, “Bind off loosely.” yes, thank you, but HOW? I’m trying to figure out what’s the best one. So, since you’ve done so many, what is the best stretchy bindoff that you use for the outer edge of a shawl?
    Thanks.

60. I love your idea of using up the left over sock yarn…or God forbid buying more yarn!! I may just have to do the same thing. I like the use of sock yarn because the kids would be able to drag it around the house and I would actually be able to toss it in the wash….plus it would be warm and cozy in the winter. What size needles are you using?

61. I am SOOOO glad I’m not the only one who decorates by what goes well with cat barf!
    With six cats, I’m always taking that into consideration.
    I’m off to start a new throw…
    Denise and the Six-Pack
    Tessa, Carmen, Salem, April, Sootz and the Baby, Zeus

62. A log cabin blanket out of sock yarn – I love it! Wendy, you have the best ideas, and I’ll bet the randomness of the color makes it look fantastic.

63. Becky Clark says:

Welcome to the club! We’re all totally obsessed, I’m mitering and log-cabining like there’s no tomorrow. Have you checked out the KAL site? The warshrags alone are reaching epidemic levels.

64. So where can we send donations to??? :-)

65. Wendy, I’d just like to point out that at a pivotal moment in my knitting experience, I saw you knitting a sock at Knit Happens–just chugging away on what had to be size 0′s, knitting without looking–and I’m pretty sure that was a tipping point for me. YOU’re the enabler, honey–I am enthralled (enTHRALLED, I tell you) with socks, and in the immortal words of Karen Carpenter, “We’ve only just beguuuuuuun . . . to make soooooooocks . . . ”

Aw hell, now that song is stuck in my head. And that feather and fan pattern is clearly a high and best use of the feather and fan pattern.

Vaya con dios with the log cabin blanket. Think of it as a new pet. (I fantasized about a sock yarn blanket myself–so drapey!)

xoxoxoxo

66. Oliver's mom says:

Wendy, alskling, you are one prime-time enabler for sure. It isn’t bad enough that you got me to venture into toe-up-sock-land (with CTH’s “glitz” – killer, that).

No, you have to make me lust after more and more varieties of sock yarn & don’t you get me started with blankets for hevvinsakes! I have been spending precious knitting time scraping wallpaper and training a 13-week old GR puppy and your blog is the only knitting fix I get some days. Thanks for the eye candy but stop teasing me with new irresistable projects, huh?

67. I think the log cabin blanket looks great so far. I am about to succumb to the call of the log cabin myself for a wedding gift to my sister.

68. Oh, what a cool idea! I may have to try that.

69. Did you love the Fleece Artist? I’ve been coveting that yarn for quite some time….