Yesterday afternoon I hauled out the ball of denim yarn I had prewashed to photograph it for the blog. Because it was sitting on my prewashed swatch, I pulled that out to play with. On a whim, I took a ruler to it and measured the row gauge. Seven rows to the inch. Huh? I could have sworn my washed row gauge was 8 rows to the inch. I measured again: 7 rows. I counted over 2 inches: 14 rows. Over 3: 21 rows. And over 4: 28 rows.
I looked at the pattern. Eight rows to the inch.
One of several things must have happened:
1. I spaced out completely and just plugged the wrong number in for the row gauge when I calculated the pattern.
2. I miscounted when I measured the gauge of the swatch the first time. (A numbers wizard I am not.)
3. The swatch stretched.
Because the swatch has been pretty much untouched since I measured it the first time, I’m guessing that what happened was either scenario 1 or 2.
So I recalculated the pattern using the new row gauge of 7 rows to the inch. No biggie, except I was already past the armhole shaping on the back.
However, I had originally decided to make the total length of the sweater 26″ and lately I had been thinking that I kinda sorta wished I had made it about 2 inches longer — more of a tunic length. Well, now it will be. i adjusted the total length in the pattern, which simply added the length below the armholes (and I already had knitted the proper number of rows for the new longer length). The armholes at the new row gauge are knit with fewer total rows, and I hadn’t gone past that point in my knitting.
So, crisis averted. But still . . . duh. What a bonehead move.
So I finished the back last night. Sorry about the photos — had to use the flash because there wasn’t enough natural light for a decent photo.
Unwashed, it is 33″ long. Cat included for scale.
Here it is after washing and a spin in the dryer.
Juast an ootch over 28″ long. Ta da!
I do so love a happy endng.
Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the issue of the dye running in the wash. I decided to wash the piece solo, so I just threw it in the washer with laundry detergent and let ‘er rip.
Thanks also for all the pointers for removing dye from needles. I have no problem with having these needles stained blue at the tips, as long as that blue doesn’t come off on subsequent knits. It has been mentioned once or twice that using a cleaning product on the needles will alter the finish, so I’m not sure I want to do that.
I’ll think about it later.