1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

New Stuff!

I’ve got new spinning and new knitting to play with.

On Saturday, I pulled out another superwash merino roving from Crown Mountain Farms out of my stash — this one in the “Good Vibrations” colorway.

roving121806 New Stuff!

I pulled off a short length, spun it, and Andean plied it, as a sample. I felt that I had put a bit too much twist in the singles for my “Do You Believe in Magic” sock yarn — I wanted this yarn to be a bit softer. So I fiddled with the ratios a bit before spinning.

I knitted the sample yarn into a little test swatch.

swatch121806 New Stuff!

Bingo! I’m very happy with this yarn. The plying on the sample is not all that it should be because I did it very quickly (and sloppily). But it gives me a pretty good idea of what my finished yarn will look like. So I proceeded to spin. Here’s my progress so far.

singles121806 New Stuff!

But that’s not all . . .

I finished my Mountain Stream Scarf, as I reported yesterday. Here’s a post-blocking pic:

mountainstream121806 New Stuff!

It shrunk down slightly when released from the blocking pins, as I expected it would. It’s a very nice size, though, and lovely and light and airy.

So Sunday morning, I pulled a kit out of my stash to start work on. And I don’t know how several of you guessed correctly from the photo I showed yesterday, but yes, it is a Bohus. The “Large Lace Collar” to be exact.

It’s the first sweater pictured on this page.

I purchased this kit a year ago from Solveig Gustafsson, the incredibly talented woman who re-created the Bohus designs from the originals. If you want more information on this and how to order, read my blog entry from December 7, 2005, when I was embarking on my first Bohus project. A number of the kits have patterns translated into English by Susanna Hansson — she has a list of kits available in English on her website.

While the main color of the design I’m knitting is black, the neckband is white. And it was the start of the neckband I showed you yesterday. 154 stitches in k1 p1 rib on a 2mm needle. That takes forever. Just sayin’. I do think that when I pick up k1 p1 ribbing on 2mm needle something odd happens to the time-space continuum. Time speeds up and my hands slow down so that it takes me approximately 14 hours to complete one round.

bohus121806 New Stuff!

Heifer Project

We went over $25,000 this morning! And there’s a prize drawing tomorrow afternoon!

Lucy Sez

lucy121806 New Stuff!

I’m just gonna wait here for Santa to bring me my baby chicks . . .

Comments

1. Seeing your pretty roving makes me glad we can still buy fiber as we knit from our stashes. I am always amazed at how the spun and plied yarn compares to the dyed roving. I bet that extra twist in your Magic socks will help them wear nicely. Beautifully inspiring spinning and a lovely scarf!

2. Hey, I’m doing the Large Lace Collar too. I got it for my 12th Night gift last year, started knitting it a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I have to finish my paying knitting before I continue but I love the yarn!

3. My husband wants to know how many hours a night you sleep …

4. House of beautiful knits! My husbans is secretly thrilled about this stash along!

5. I love your handspun sock yarn. You’ve inspired me. I just knit up some of my handpainted/spun merino into socks for my boy. I also love the handspun for the forest canopy shawl. Now that you’ve pulled out another superwash roving, can you flash your stash? I would love to see a pic of your fiber stash in the future. It will make me envious, but it also inspires me. Happy spinning for knitting.

6. Spinning, finishing and blocking the Mountain Stream, and doing 1×1 rib on 2mm needles… are you sure there’s only one of you?

7. Woohooooooo over $25,000. That is so terrific. and a lot of chicks. Maybe Santa will leave a couple for Lucy (although I notice she has some on the tree).

8. I had this deal with myself where I couldn’t spin anything until after I’d cleaned my house. I’ve done that now, and seeing your yarn has given me the spinning bug again — hooray!

9. Lisa in Georgia says:

I’m so glad that Lucy hasn’t forgotten about the baby chicks on the way! Congrats at breaking through $25,000.00!

Seeing as you’ve obviously got super-human powers to complete so many projects, I was wondering whether this year you’ve completed more projects than any year in the past?

10. You have to be the most productive person out there…I am always so impressed with how fast you plow thru things :-).

I love your new yarn. Actually, I have really liked a number of yarns and roving from Crown Mountain Farms, so much so, I think I need some :-)

11. Bohus-type sweaters have been showing up in the “trendy” stores like the Limited. I saw them and was like “I could do better… if I had a year…” Can’t wait to see yours!

12. Those Good Vibrations sure are pretty, aren’t they?? I liked those colors so much….

13. Oh Wendy…you and I are on the same wave length! I got out on of my Bohus kits this past weekend…The Egg! I started balling up the kit while I was making pepparkakor. Yummy.

14. Whoa-that is one incredible sweater!

15. Wow. I never would have guessed from looking at the roving that it would spin up so much green. I have a hard time looking at dyed roving and picturing the yarn.

16. that lace shawl is fabulous. but I’m confused as to why it would shrink when released from it’s blocking pins…..hmmm, me think that I am a novice at lace still.any pointers – I’ve really only just begun knitting lace.
    the spining looks great – isn’t it fun how different it looks spun up versus in the skein.

17. That roving and yarn is just gorgeous! Eye candy, most definitely.

I should have guessed Bohus — tiny needles, ribbing, bigger than a sock…. I remember your knitting it last year and admiring it so…. Can’t wait to watch this one grow, as well. Is it becoming a Christmas-time WendyKnits tradition?

18. I’m on a Yarn Management and Containment Plan, too. Trying to get my stash rounded up and all at one address is the first task (we have a storage unit) and I’m planning to knit from stash as much as possible. Congratulations on your wonderful total for Heifer! My family are giving me bees and baskets of critters too, and it’s a nice feeling. I don’t need more stuff, and people out there need what the Heifer program can teach them to do for themselves!

19. Hey Wendy,
    I just discovered your blog thanks to the wonders of the internet, and found out how to knit a cable without a needle. My tuque will be glorious and maybe I can use this on the baby blanket that’s coming next. Thanks for posting the info and sharing your wealth of knowledge, and good luck with all of your projects!

20. Ann Carpenteer says:

Love the roving and spinning and plying. It looks SOOOO different with each step. The sweater should be lovely too. I like the Bohus sweaters. In college I had a beautiful one in white with pastel colors around the neck–bought not home knit. It was lovely. When does Lucy get her chickies? She looks as though she is getting extremely impatient for them. Of course, knowing housecats, if they were real she’d probably just look at them and go “Hey Ma, what ARE these things? I expected them to come in little cans that went ‘Pop, Shwish’”!
    Ann Carpenter in Dallas, Texas

21. Wonderful ho much money you are raising.
    Thanks so much for the new sweaters I want to knit.. Can always count on you to enable me ..LOL.. don’t worry, doesn’t take much. Now must hunt down book.

22. Hmm, what happens when Lucy discovers Santa probably isn’t bringing baby chicks??

23. I know that you mentioned this before, but I can’t find the reference to it…

What is the device called that you have on your wheel’s flyer that helps the bobbin fill evenly?

24. I’m in! I’ve prided myself for years on my small stash, but it’s not small anymore. I’ve got plenty of yarn for the next year. It will be nice to finally mark some projects off the list.

I’m thinking that when there’s no baby chicks under the tree, those ornaments near the top of the tree are going down!

25. That’s going to be one gorgeous sweater when it’s done! I’m looking forward to seeing the progress! Are you doing the matching hat, too?

I’m looking forward to the beginning of KFYS 2007. I have far too much yarn around the house (if such a thing can be possible), and it’ll be fun to knit it all up. I don’t have half the yarn that you do, though, so my pile of FOs by the time it’s all over will be infinitely smaller. :D

26. Your Mountain Stream scarf is gorgeous. I’m looking forward to watching the progress of the Bohus sweater as it unfolds.

27. Michele in Maine says:

Inspired by you, I downloaded the Forest Canopy shawl pattern (my first real foray into lace, except for the “Branching Out” scarf), and ordered (and received) two skeins of the Weaver’s Wool Quarters. So tonight, instead of working on my daughter’s holiday dress up costume (she’s going to be a wreath), baking the last of the ginger cookies, wrapping the teacher’s gift, etc. etc., I’ll probably be casting on. Who needs sleep?

Wonderful work!

28. The roving looks great. The stash along starts in 2007, does this mean we can go crazy and buy now before the end of the year. I almost did today, but I “walked away ” from the yarn.

The sweater is going to be beautiful.

29. I love your roving! My best friend just got me some roving and a drop spindle so I can learn how to spin. She also gave me some undyed wool and some dye so I can try that out. I’m so inspired and I am REALLY wishing that I wasn’t at work right now so I can try it.

So Lucy wants baby chicks? My cats would like some baby mice. And maybe a crinkle ball.

30. i love those bohus sweaters! lucky me, i’m in susanna’s class at madrona :-)

31. sally & zeppelin says:

Back from the dream-like state between the old computer and my new one…a week or so of green eye shade, quill pen, candlelight and crinoline as my husband and I tried to get me hooked up to the modern world…I am so thrilled that you and L.B. have thrown down the gauntlet (knitted fingerless mitt?) for the 2007 stash challenge. Always a good idea to utilize some of the gorgeous stuff that inspires us in the stores or online, it will be much easier to stick to the no purchase rule by lending mututal support…not to mention to be able to actually open the door to the stash room which resemnbles the jumble of King Tut’s tomb! Your recent scarves and shawl are gorgeous!
    Lucy-Here’s looking at you kid!

32. sally & zeppelin says:

Lucy-Here’s looking at you kid!

33. sally & zeppelin says:

Lucy-Here’s looking at you kid!