1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Guacamole!

guacamole010107 Guacamole!

Several of you asked for my guacamole recipe. I never measure anything when I make it, so I’ll do the best I can.

Scoop one ripe avocado out of the skin and put in a bowl. Mash it with a fork, but leave some lumps in.

Add 1 – 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion, 2 tablespoons finely diced tomato (with seeds removed), a couple of teaspoons fresh lime juice, about 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder (not garlic salt), and about 1/2 teaspoon of chili paste, and blend together. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two for the flavors to blend.

Chili paste — it comes in a tube and looks like this:

chilipepper010107 Guacamole!

You could use chili powder or chopped up jalapeños if you can’t find the chili paste.

Our favorite way to eat guacamole is as a dip for mini salt-free pretzels. Yum!

Thanks for all the New Year wishes. Lucy, the KOARC and I had a nice quiet celebration last night with movies and champagne for us and catnip for Lucy.

I did cook some shrimp plain for Lucy. I cooled, it, cut it up, and offered it to her. She said:

lucy010107 Guacamole!

“What? You expect me to eat this?”

Clearly, she is not a fan of the shrimp.

I did a little spinning today on my Good Vibrations roving. Here’s half of it all plied up into sock yarn:

yarn010107 Guacamole!

I actually finished that last week. I’m working on the second half now. And that reminds me, I can show you a very cool gift the KOARC gave me for Christmas:

scale010107 Guacamole!

A digital scale. Woo! You can set it to ounces or grams — currently it is set on grams.

Okie doke — I’ll be back tomorrow with the final drawing for the Heifer project. Happy New Year!

Lucy sez:

lucy010107a Guacamole!

“I partied too much last night.”

Comments

1. Happy New Year to you, KOARC and Lucy!! I wish you all good health, happiness and FREE WOOL!!

Will you be making any visits to Hollyspring Homespun any time soon? I’ll be there if you are!!

2. I used to own a cat who reacted as Lucy did to the shrimp when given any “people” food. Sometimes he would even beg and beg for a bit of chicken or something, based on the smell, then when we gave him some he would just look blankly as if to say “No, I want what YOU are having!!”. If it did not look like cat food he was baffled.
    None of my other cats did this, though.

3. You have the best Santa in the world . How many Santas would find the perfect gift for knitter who has everything? That scale is just way too cool!

Happy New Year!

4. Love the handspun. I really need a digital scale myself. :) Happy new year!

5. I also got a digital scale for Christmas and have used it several times already – especially like it for splitting up a skein of sock yarn.

6. My cats do the same thing with shrimp. Kills me to even think of sharing with them and when I do they don’t eat it.

7. Other people have probably commented on your incredible knitting volume and asked – what do you do with all those sweaters? I am in the process of pulling out a sweater I made that didn’t fit right short body, long sleeves); knitting my first Dale of Norway with the tiniest bit of color work; and I wear the only other sweater I have made (way too often), the rambling rows sweater by Carol Anderson.

8. Thanks for sharing the guacamole recipe, and for identifying what chili paste is!! I will be trying this out as soon as possible.

I love the handspun. I can’t wait to see what it becomes!

9. Raye, mother of the other Capricorn Wendy, in NYC says:

Happy and healthy New Year to you, Lucy and the KOARC!

Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday Dear Wendy,
    Happy Birthday to you!

Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow…and are you ever lucky you don’t have to listen to me singing to you!

10. Raye, mother of the other Capricorn Wendy, in NYC says:

Happy and healthy New Year to you, Lucy and the KOARC!

Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday Dear Wendy,
    Happy Birthday to you!

11. Wow! A day off and on your fiber birthday, too! May you have a wonderful Birthday Month!

12. Beth P. in Maryland says:

Happy New Year! And Happy Birthday!

My cats are the same way. If does not come out of the proper container, it can not possibly be food!

I recently bought myself a digital scale! I like to figure the yardage of my handspun with a McMorran yarn balance (I spin very fine and have a 3-4 ounce bobbin capacity, so if I was to count wraps it would take a looooong time!) so a scale is a neccessity! I used to take it to work an weigh it on the postal scale, but it is much more convenient to weigh it at home!

Beth

13. Maybe it would have looked more appetizing on YOUR plate. Granted, our male cat would inhale anything that’s not moving. Our female would have to sniff it and think about it; usually just long enough for the male to hoover it up.

14. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday. Your scale looks ever so perfect. My goodness, do I know that look on Lucy’s face! I cook things for mine and that is always the look I get. Like…”Have you lost it completely? You expect me to eat that? Roasted chicken thigh? Where’s the Friskies?” My theory, the better the food is for them, the less they will touch it.

15. Happy Birthday tomorrow! I just turned 50 in June and it is great! Ask for those discounts :) Enjoy the day and happy, healthy new year… Your Bohus is fabulous!

16. Ginny Thomas says:

My cat would beg for some of our food, so one Thanksgiving we cut up some turkey for her. She looked at it, sneezed all over it and left it! What a waste. Now she just gets commercial cat food and seems happy with it. Concerning the errant stitch and duplicate stitching over it: on the Dale 125th anniversary sweater I knit for the Olympics, I had a lot of duplicate stitching to do as part of the pattern. Instead of having you knit with a bobbin for a half dozen stitches in the point of the vee in front, they have you work with just the one color and duplicate stitch afterwards. It was a pain to do, but it worked well; you can’t see that it’s two layers unless you get very close. For one stitch it shouldn’t be a problem. Have a wonderful, knitting and spinning-full New Year. I made it through one day without buying more yarn; I have only eight more months to go!

17. martha in mobile says:

My cat only likes wet dog food. My dog only likes wet cat food. Needless to say, they get their preferences in small amounts and must make do with species-specific kibble.

I love my digital scale — ostensibly purchased to weigh the parrots (monitoring bird weight is a good way to monitor health), but frequently used for weighing yarn.

18. 1. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait to try it.
    2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow! I hope you have a good 50th year – I can tell you that it’s a lot of fun. :-)
    3. Our cat Abigail *insists* that she likes shrimp. Of course, when we put some in a dish for her, she walks away, looking somewhat offended. Cats. Go figure!

Happy New Year to everyone at your house!

19. birthday girl! you’re gonna love the fifties! um – just a suggestion – maybe you could tempt Lucy with a little piece of the shrimp RAW?

HNY,
    mhv

20. Thank you for sharing the guacamole recipe – that chili paste must be the secret ingredient!

I wish you many wool (er, well) wishes for your birthday ;0)

(You are gonna LOVE that scale!)

21. Happy New Year and Happy Birthday! That scale rocks! Another gadget I need now :-)

22. Thank you for the gaucamole recipe. I don’t think I’ve ever really tried it before, I might just have a go at it next weekend.
    My cats will eat things like shrimp and fish, but won’t take it from the hand, it has to be on the floor or in their bowl, and really, they prefer it best stolen from a plate when the owner isn’t looking.
    Now that you have the scale, are you intending to try your hand at dying?

23. Cat food preferences are one of the Mysteries of the Universe. My Puma sneers at chicken and shrimp but goes bonkers over “Mango Tango” juice. Go figure. LOL Muchas gracias for the guacamole recipe. Happy Birthday to you-u-u-u-u!!!

24. Hi Wendy,
    That is so funny….Motorboat, my bratty kitty, loves it when I cook shrimp plain for her. She also love lobster when we have that. She is very spoiled.

Happy New Year!!!

Barb

25. anne marie in philly says:

happy 50th to you! join AARP (I did on 9/6/04). live the second half of your life with flash and style and screw what the rest of the world thinks!

the KOARC is such a thoughtful guy.

my kids never beg for people food.

and look, the govt. declared a holiday for all on your natal day – aren’t you special! well, that’s not the real reason for the day off, but one can always pretend…

(hoisting a shot glass in your honor)

26. Deborah in Flagstaff says:

Yes, precise gram/ounce scales are definitely COOL! I use mine particularly to check what fraction of my original yarn is left to finish something.

27. It looks like Lucy’s just as picky with her food as my two tabbies are. They’ve been known to turn their noses up at Fancy Feast, freshly cooked chicken, turkey, and various fishes.

But oddly, they adore the diet cat food they’re both on. Cats. I just can’t figure ‘em!

28. Glad you had a nice quiet New Year’s Eve. It sounds perfect.

A digital scale, that is a good gift. I bet he got a weird look from the girl behind the counter though. Pretty sock yarn too.

29. What??? If I offered shrimp to my cats I would be missing several fingers!

30. That guacamole looks good.

I have two questions One for you and one for lucy.

Q1 What happened to Dierdre? did you finish her?

Q2 Is lucy shy?

31. Ok now you’ve done it. I want guac now. Good thing the local grocers has avacados 3/$1 right now. You recipe is the same as mine including the not really measuring part. Sometimes I do though add a glob of sour creme.

32. Happy birthday! The 50′s really aren’t that bad :) And do ask about the discount – you’d be surprised how that 10 or 15% adds up.

33. Happy freakin’ Birthday!

That is some pretty tasty guacamole. Freshly made guacamole is one of the greatest foods ever, and with western avocados available year-round from California, Mexico, Chile, etc, there’s year-round good eatin’! No, I’m not associated with The Avocado Board, I just like avocados & guacamole!

34. very cool gift indeed – hmm, I think perhaps I’ll add one to my wish list.
    The yarn looks fabulous – and the guac… yumm.

35. Blogless Kim says:

Your guacamole recipe is wonderfully simple – just like mine. The only difference is I only use jalapenos, rather than chile paste – but if I’m out of fresh jalapenos, I’ll give the chile paste a try! I have avocado trees in my back yard!

36. Oh, I love that expression on Lucy’s face!! Obviously, everything is more exciting when it’s being cooked.

37. Wait a minute, now: it’s *your* birthday and I get a present? That’s just no fair.

Best birthday wishes to the Nifty Knitter!

38. Happy Birthday! And Happy New Year!