My new sock-in-progress is being knit from Sweet Georgia sock yarn in the “Slayer” colorway. I purchased this yarn from The Loopy Ewe shortly after Sheri put it up for sale and it’s a good thing I did, because it sold out immediately. (And I don’t think L-B will ever forgive me for getting to it before she did.)
I’ve got some Sweet Georgia yarn in a couple of other colorways in my stash, but this is my first time knitting with it. I love it! It’s got a nice firm twist and is knitting up on my ubiquitous size 2mm needles at the ubiquitous 8 stitches/inch. I really, really love this colorway. Looks like a bloody wound, doesn’t it? (And yes, New Jersey Laura, knitting with red yarn is a good way to cheer yourself up after being sick!)
Because no one distracted me via telephone when I was getting ready to start the leg of this sock (sorry, L-B, couldn’t resist that), I did manage to start the leg of the sock in feather and fan, and I’m really liking how it looks.
I think knitting socks in a colorway called “Slayer” on sterling silver needles has got to imbue the socks with some sort of mystical power, doncha think?
In the last blog entry I described how I cast off the tops of my socks. Mandella commented:
I use the same bindoff for toe-up socks as you except I do k2togtbl rather than k2tog. I’ve never really considered why, but thinking about it, it avoids the need to slip the stitch just knitted back to the lh needle. Like you I knit the knits and purl the purls. Alternatively if I’m feeling flirty I use a picot bind off.
Brilliant! Henceforth, all my bind-offs shall be done k2togtbl.
I’m not a sock blocker user – I don’t get it. They’re going to be on your feet and that stretches them kind of perfectly. Maybe you can help me out with this. Why the sock blockers?
The truth is, I’m not a sock blocker either. 🙂 The only thing I use the sock blockers for is to model the socks for photos!
The Black Hole of Lace
I have just entered the Black Hole of Lace Knitting: knitting the edging onto the shawl. This is going to take forever, if past experience is anything to go by.
You start with a provisional cast on.
Then you attach the edging to the edge of the center panel on every other row — the wrong side rows in this case. You attach by knitting the last stitch of the edging together with one loop on the edge of the shawl.
The loops were created by slipping a stitch at the start of every row. So you’ve got one loop for every two rows of center panel, and you attach the edging on every other row. The corners are executed by easing in fullness by attaching more than one row in the same loop on the edge of the center panel. The pattern gives you explicit instructions for how many times you do this and where. I’m not at a corner yet, so haven’t experienced how accurate the instructions are yet. We’ll see. Even if there is a glitch in the math, it’ll be okay. You can fudge attaching an edging and no one will be the wiser. Blocking can cover a lot of anomalies.
I am at this point officially bored with this shawl. Knitting 528 rows of the center panel got really boring less than halfway through, and I can predict that I’m going to find the edging excruciating as well. I think I ‘ll delegate this as a secondary project and bring my socks to the forefront as primary knitting. I’ve got lots of pretty new sock yarn and I’m eager to try it all. That’s my excuse, anyhow. In fact, I might leave the shawl edging for weekend knitting. The couple of hours I have each weeknight is not conducive to hunkering down with a big chunk o’ lace.
Besides, I’ve already starting pondering a new project . . .
Yeah, she’s up to no good. I think she’s gonna swatch something!