1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Did I Ever Tell You the One About the Flat Rat?

Vermin. Oy.

One of the “joys” of working in a large building in a city is the ever-present vermin. This morning when I came into work I surprised a mouse in the hallway. And further down the same hall I passed a squashed cockroach that was a good inch and a half long. (Now I know that being in a squashed state rendered said cockroach longer than if it were in a three-dimensional state, but still.)

I had a brief encounter last week that so skeeved me out that it is likely I will never recover. I went down to the snack bar in my building to get a pre-packaged salad that they keep in a refrigerated case, and brought it back to my desk. I popped the lid on the plastic container. And watched in horror as a cockroach crawled out from under a lettuce leave and started to saunter across the cucumbers, slowly waving his antennae at me in a jaunty manner.

Needless to say, I popped the lid back on and threw the whole thing into the trash can out in the hall. Ew! Ew! Ew!

I know that stuff like this happens. I know that if I could see the place where the salads are made I might run screaming into the night. Ditto for plants where stuff I buy in the grocery store is processed. But it’s a lot easier to ignore when you don’t have Mister Cockroach smiling and waving to you from your salad.

So I’ve been bringing my lunch since then. This is a challenge because I don’t have access to a refrigerator or a microwave. And I detest making lunches. Today I had a peanut butter sandwich (reduced fat Jiff peanut butter on low-carb whole wheat) and an apple. I am not a fan of sandwiches. Anyone have any brilliant ideas for healthful lunches that don’t take a lot of at-home preparation and don’t need to be refrigerated or microwaved?

I don’t ask for much, huh?

Okay. Enough with the self-pity. On to some Q&A.

Cathy-Cate commented:
I scored some ‘lace weight’ yarn on eBay – 1760 yards of gorgeous slowly changing shades of orange, meant for a shawl for a friend who’s getting married and whose favorite color is orange. However, I think it’s what might be called ‘cobweb’? — it’s finer than the ‘lace weight’ I previously used, which I think I knitted on size 2-ish Addi Turbos and did fine with. (I guess I need to keep track when I’m making things up as I go along….)

I have tried swatching this very fine yarn, and the Addi needle tips are too big & blunt to pick up the stitches readily, the yarn skitters all over the place, and the stitches look sloppy big on even size 2 needles. Halp, halp! So: along with Siouxz, I am interested in what kind of needle is your personal favorite for very fine lace yarn, and also, are you aware of any books/pattern resources for this extremely fine yarn? I’ve found a couple shawl patterns that call for ‘jumper weight’ and ‘Shetland’, but being ignorant of this particular area of the knitting world, I don’t know exactly what that translates to; my guess is that weight is rather heavier (?more like fingering weight?).

A couple of you asked about needles for lace. My favorites so far are the Knitpicks Options. I read about the Addi lace needles last week, but likely will not get any, because the Knitpicks needles work so nicely for me. Back in the Summer of ’05 (the Summer of Lace) I yapped about needles for lace a lot, and as I recall, liked the old Boye metal needles and Inox and Aero needles for lace. But I do like the Knitpicks needles better. They are slippery, so you have to remain vigilant. Wooden needles work better at grabbing the stitches, but I’ve yet to find a wooden needle with a cord and join I like quite as much as the Knitpicks needles.

Now about that laceweight yarn you got . . .

There is quite a range of weights in what is considered laceweight, I think. From yarn that feels like a sewing thread to almost-fingering weight. The only thing I’ve knitted in “true” shetland cobweb weight is a lace handkerchief that I’ve blogged about before. And I knitted that on size 0000 needles. I know Jamieson & Smith has a laceweight shetland (finger than the fingering weight jumperweight wool), and then the cobweb weight that is finer still.

DeeAnn commented:
Kidsilk haze makes me itch fiercely, but there are so many beautiful patterns that are enhanced dramatically by the halo. Would you consider alpaca laceweight to be an acceptable substitution or have any other recommendations for the “mohair challenged”?

That would definitely work for me. I used the Cherry Tree Hill suri alpaca for the Inky Dinky Spider Stole and it had a slight halo and was lovely to knit with. Ditto for the Misti Alpaca for the Tina Shawl.

Count Sassy asked:
I have a (possibly stupid) blocking question. I have a scarf with Crystal Palace Kid Mohair I need to block. Did the iron actually touch the shawl? Or was there a towel between the two?

It may be wrong of me, but yeah, the iron touched the shawl. But I was pretty freaking careful, and had no mishaps.

And in my continuing series of Still Life With Sock in Progress . . .

sip022007 Did I Ever Tell You the One About the Flat Rat?

Emma, do you recognize this scarf? icon smile Did I Ever Tell You the One About the Flat Rat?

Lucy

lucy022007 Did I Ever Tell You the One About the Flat Rat?

Lucy thanks you for all your good wishes and would like you to know that she does get off her Cozy Cushion from time to time.

Comments

1. Luncheon ideas: Hummus and pita wedges, crackers and cheese (with fruit and/or carrots on the side), cold soups (gazpacho and the like) with bread, pasta salad with fresh tomatoes, cukes and chick-peas, drizzled with olive oil and herbs… That’s all I’ve got for ideas right now. Of course, as others have mentioned, a thermos and blue-ice pack would round out your dining experience :) Good luck with it, and keep away from the insect salads – that’s NOT OKAY!!!

2. Luncheon ideas: Hummus and pita wedges, crackers and cheese (with fruit and/or carrots on the side), cold soups (gazpacho and the like) with bread, pasta salad with fresh tomatoes, cukes and chick-peas, drizzled with olive oil and herbs… That’s all I’ve got for ideas right now. Of course, as others have mentioned, a thermos and blue-ice pack would round out your dining experience :) Good luck with it, and keep away from the insect salads – that’s NOT OKAY!!!

3. Beth P. in Maryland says:

Hmmm… my sister is a former in-mate of the five-sided-building. I used to hear similar stories from her. Gotta love those government buildings! She’s still with the same department but I think she’s in a better building now!

Lots of good lunch ideas, they have already suggested anything (and more) than I can think of. Taking your own lunch with you is definatly the way to go. You’re making me appreciate the incredibly clean place where I spend my week days!

Good luck!!

Beth

4. Beth P. in Maryland says:

Good luck!!

Beth

5. Check out Sara’s Secrets on Foodnetwork.com. Last week she did a show on brown bagging your lunch—I did the one with carrots, cheese,etc. So wonderful!

6. Check out Sara’s Secrets on Foodnetwork.com. Last week she did a show on brown bagging your lunch—I did the one with carrots, cheese,etc. So wonderful!

7. no microwave and no fridge presents quite a challenge…what about rice or pasta salad with balsamic vinegar dressing, hard boiled eggs with mustard or quiche? these tend to keep well as long as its not too hot.

p.s i got a salad complete with caterpillar recently … it crawled up to the top of the salad and then i sweat it smiled at me

8. no microwave and no fridge presents quite a challenge…what about rice or pasta salad with balsamic vinegar dressing, hard boiled eggs with mustard or quiche? these tend to keep well as long as its not too hot.

9. I know that you are not a sandwich fan. Is it because you don’t like to eat them or is it because it is a pain to make them every morning? Deli meat sandwiches can be made in batches, wrapped in plastic bags and frozen. Just take one out in the morning and by the time lunchtime rolls around it has thawed out. You don’t need to have an insulated lunchbag, either. (It doesn’t work well if you put alot of mayo on it.) I used to do this for my kids lunches.Cheese freezes well too.

10. I know that you are not a sandwich fan. Is it because you don’t like to eat them or is it because it is a pain to make them every morning? Deli meat sandwiches can be made in batches, wrapped in plastic bags and frozen. Just take one out in the morning and by the time lunchtime rolls around it has thawed out. You don’t need to have an insulated lunchbag, either. (It doesn’t work well if you put alot of mayo on it.) I used to do this for my kids lunches.Cheese freezes well too.

11. Hi Wendy: GO to the grocery store and buy some lunch-ables. They have a variety and they don’t have to be stored in a frig or microwaved. I love them! Barb

12. Hi Wendy: GO to the grocery store and buy some lunch-ables. They have a variety and they don’t have to be stored in a frig or microwaved. I love them! Barb

13. Wendy,

I feel your pain! I work in DC also at the US Department of Transportation and have been greeted by many a critter over the years. My co-worker swears she won’t eat at the chinese place across the street because of the interesting things she’s seen in the stir fry! Ugh.

I swear by those frozen cooler pack things and an insulated lunch bag. You put a couple of those cooler packs in your bag… one on top and one underneath your item, and you won’t need to worry about a fridge.

We’re moving to a new building next to the new baseball stadium. I’ll be going from a work area where I share a fridge with 10 people to one where I share a fridge with 50. So I’ll be right there with you soon.

The South Beach Diet wrap sandwiches that are pre-packaged in the store aren’t bad.

You could get single serving packets of tuna or chicken if you like that, and put it over some lettuce. Gladware has these teeny little bowls that I know must have been invented for salad dressing.

Do you like apples and peanut butter? Maybe if you don’t like PB sandwiches you can cut up an apple at your desk and put PB on the slices. Or in pre-cut celerey stalks.

Those Laughing Cow cheese wedges are good with celery too.

Is any of this sounding at all palatable to you? Hard boiled eggs are good too.

Again, remember those little ice packs are just the thing!

Happy Lunching,

Trish

14. Wendy,

Those Laughing Cow cheese wedges are good with celery too.

Is any of this sounding at all palatable to you? Hard boiled eggs are good too.

Again, remember those little ice packs are just the thing!

Happy Lunching,

Trish

15. Please report the vermin to the building maintence people.

As to brown bag lunches.

Hard cheeses do well without refrigeration. Avoid the the low fat varieties which do need to be refrigerated. Anything pickled will do so as well. Pickled herring if you like it would work well as a protein for your lunch.

Have you an instant hot water tap in your office or a place to plug in a tea kettle. In the soup aisle you’ll find many things that only require hot water to cook. The organic and health food aisle will also have a few things.

Also if you pass a 24 hour grocery store they may have things in the deli section pre made for lunches. You once mentioned buying and eating grocery store sush.

Quelyn

16. Please report the vermin to the building maintence people.

As to brown bag lunches.

Quelyn

17. Foil-packed, no-drain tuna and Cheezits (baked, not fried) has been a staple ‘if all else fails’ lunch that’s easy enough to store.

My work has a fridge and a microwave, but on different floors separated by a flight and a half of narrow stairs. I work on the second floor, so it’s go down to the first floor, get the food, go up to the second floor, nuke it, eat it, then go back down to the first floor where the ‘only’ running water is to rinse out containers/wash hands.

Yep, tuna and Cheezits is a mighty fine meal.

18. Foil-packed, no-drain tuna and Cheezits (baked, not fried) has been a staple ‘if all else fails’ lunch that’s easy enough to store.

Yep, tuna and Cheezits is a mighty fine meal.

19. I make my husband’s lunch everyday. I use one of the insulated bags and keep it in the fridge overnight. It keeps his lunch cool enough so I don’t have to worry, for about 5 hours.

20. I make my husband’s lunch everyday. I use one of the insulated bags and keep it in the fridge overnight. It keeps his lunch cool enough so I don’t have to worry, for about 5 hours.

21. If you really want to be different, there is a pattern out there for a knitted “brown bag”. it’s felted, but a really simple bit elegant pattern, an interesting alternative to paper, good for the environment, and with the natural insulation of wool. (wool makes everything better!) And you could throw an icepack in it as well.

As for food, have you considered wraps, or a cold noodle dish such as sesame noodles?

22. If you really want to be different, there is a pattern out there for a knitted “brown bag”. it’s felted, but a really simple bit elegant pattern, an interesting alternative to paper, good for the environment, and with the natural insulation of wool. (wool makes everything better!) And you could throw an icepack in it as well.

23. Thanks for the blocking advice!

24. Thanks for the blocking advice!

25. I am going to stitches west on friday with birthday money and xmas gift cards. any sock yarn or notion recommendations?

thanks!

26. I am going to stitches west on friday with birthday money and xmas gift cards. any sock yarn or notion recommendations?

thanks!

27. Dude, you knit. Knit/felt yourself a lunch bag. I did and it kept my lunches colder than an insulated bag. A thermos for hot stuff is quite handy. Oh, and if you plan on keeping any food in your office, I would suggest a large metal can (like an old popcorn can) with a very tight fitting lid to keep any stray vermin out.

28. Dude, you knit. Knit/felt yourself a lunch bag. I did and it kept my lunches colder than an insulated bag. A thermos for hot stuff is quite handy. Oh, and if you plan on keeping any food in your office, I would suggest a large metal can (like an old popcorn can) with a very tight fitting lid to keep any stray vermin out.

29. Ugh, disgusting critters in your lunch. Sure makes me glad to be self-employed and work from home. Plus I can spend all day with my 11 kitties. Thanks for the great ideas for lunches. We have a tax practice and my husband goes to each home to prepare the returns, so he is on the road all day, plus his entire diet for 3 months is fast food. I think I will order one of the bento box contraptions and make him something healthy.

Wendy, whatever you take your lunch in, just make sure it closes securely. Or maybe take Lucy on take your daughter to work day and let her take care of the vermin problem. But, maybe not…kitty with critter breath is not appealing either and Lucy is too dignified to eat awful things.

30. Ugh, disgusting critters in your lunch. Sure makes me glad to be self-employed and work from home. Plus I can spend all day with my 11 kitties. Thanks for the great ideas for lunches. We have a tax practice and my husband goes to each home to prepare the returns, so he is on the road all day, plus his entire diet for 3 months is fast food. I think I will order one of the bento box contraptions and make him something healthy.

31. anne marie in philly says:

you would think my tax dollars would give you access to a microwave and fridge…BUT NOOOOOOO!

then there is the whole issue of science experiments growing in said shared microwave and fridge…ewwwwwww!

with a bring-your-own scenario, not only do you know what’s in/not in your food, but you save your money for future stash enrichment.

PS: I used to see vermin at hud and treas and edu all the time – the two-legged kind. but I digress…

32. anne marie in philly says:

33. My dad used to work in the basement of the 5-sided building.

Did you hear the one about the rat in the white house swimming pool? It was doing laps and swam past one of the first ladies a couple of times until she realized what it was and had a complete conniption fit. Heh.

34. My dad used to work in the basement of the 5-sided building.

35. Oh, that is disgusting. Please tell me you directed a lot of noise at the building management. Any old building might have the occasional rat or roach problem, but your building is out of control.

Whatever you carry your lunch in, please make sure it seals tightly.

36. Oh, that is disgusting. Please tell me you directed a lot of noise at the building management. Any old building might have the occasional rat or roach problem, but your building is out of control.

Whatever you carry your lunch in, please make sure it seals tightly.

37. I carry my lunch every day, working in a government building in MI that’s so small we don’t even have a vending machine for soda or candy!

I carry an insulated bag with a blue ice pack in it, and take everything from last night’s leftovers (cold salmon..mmmmm) to a Luna bar, fruit, and yogurt. Salads work, cheese, bread whatever. Basically it boils down to: healthy food travels well. And I tend to think of what people took as travel food historically, and skip the fancy modern stuff. It costs more, and doesn’t taste as good anyway!

Erika

38. I carry my lunch every day, working in a government building in MI that’s so small we don’t even have a vending machine for soda or candy!

Erika

39. Eeewww! Even thinking about cockroaches gives me shudders! I think I would have freaked out.
    As for lunches, salad in a cooler bag or soup/casserole in a thermos comes to mind. Just make sure that everything you pack is sealed properly, as your building seems to have such a pest problem.
    And if you see a cockroach in the hallway… DO NOT step on it! Cockroaches are the only living things that can survive an atomic war; if you step on them, they will live as long to lay their eggs –> which will be on your shoe, and you will spread them throughout the whole building or whereever you walk.

40. Eeewww! Even thinking about cockroaches gives me shudders! I think I would have freaked out.

41. Thermos absolutely the way to go!! I love soups and stews…cheese and crackers and a tomato soup yummy! better that crispy critters with my greens…ewwww…how traumatic! shudder…

Happy Belated Birthday Lucy!!

42. Thermos absolutely the way to go!! I love soups and stews…cheese and crackers and a tomato soup yummy! better that crispy critters with my greens…ewwww…how traumatic! shudder…

Happy Belated Birthday Lucy!!

43. If you don’t want to invest in a lunch box or thermos, you can eat things like bean salad (can of chickpeas + minced onion with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add whatever else such as canned corn, kidney beans, black beans, etc), stone wheat crackers and hummus (make your own so you can control the garlic) or lima bean skordalia (basically hummus with frozen green lima beans: v. yummy), apple and mustard sandwiches with sprouts or lettuce… I keep my dressings and sandwich fixin’s separate and add when I eat. Also, you can have awesome snacks like almonds, dried fruit, etc. Bringing lunch is a great excuse to eat super yummy food that you wouldn’t bother with otherwise.

If I had seen that cockroach in my salad, I would have cried for an hour.

44. If you don’t want to invest in a lunch box or thermos, you can eat things like bean salad (can of chickpeas + minced onion with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add whatever else such as canned corn, kidney beans, black beans, etc), stone wheat crackers and hummus (make your own so you can control the garlic) or lima bean skordalia (basically hummus with frozen green lima beans: v. yummy), apple and mustard sandwiches with sprouts or lettuce… I keep my dressings and sandwich fixin’s separate and add when I eat. Also, you can have awesome snacks like almonds, dried fruit, etc. Bringing lunch is a great excuse to eat super yummy food that you wouldn’t bother with otherwise.

If I had seen that cockroach in my salad, I would have cried for an hour.

45. i vote for the hot watter kettle too. if you can you can try the soup packets that just add water too. or ramen. dehydrated food is pletntiful for hikers so you could try that too.

46. i vote for the hot watter kettle too. if you can you can try the soup packets that just add water too. or ramen. dehydrated food is pletntiful for hikers so you could try that too.

47. I use to brown bag it before I started working at home; office fridge and microwave GROSS GROSS GROSS!!! It takes a little planning but brown bagging it can be fun.

Insulated bag with a compartment for blue ice built it. Keep a bag of salad in the fridge and buy some little containers for the dressing. You can boil a couple eggs to throw in some days or slice up some meats and make it a chef’s salad.

Canned fruits in single serving cups quick and easy. Soup in a thermos with crackers in a baggie. I used a wide mouth thermos and would heat leftovers and throw them in the thermos for lunch. Just run hot water in the thermos first to heat it up and it’ll keep hot until lunch time.

I would put everything in a large tote bag that already had plastic knives, forks, and spoons (who has time to remember all that in the morning?)

48. I use to brown bag it before I started working at home; office fridge and microwave GROSS GROSS GROSS!!! It takes a little planning but brown bagging it can be fun.

49. Ewwww. That is just…beyond gross! Ick!

Hmmmm, I’m a diabetic, so I always have a ton of food with me. I don’t usually eat “lunch”, but have mini snacks throughout the day. So, little fruit thingies, yogourt, cheese, veggies, crackers… Keeps the boredom away too. Could you get a kettle for you workstation?

50. Ewwww. That is just…beyond gross! Ick!

51. Yuck. I don’t have any additional advice for the lunches, there’s a lot of good stuff in here that I will explore. Oil & Vinegar make a nice salad dressing that doesn’t need refrigeration.

52. Yuck. I don’t have any additional advice for the lunches, there’s a lot of good stuff in here that I will explore. Oil & Vinegar make a nice salad dressing that doesn’t need refrigeration.

53. I’m in love with the laptop lunch system (http://laptoplunches.com)with a little ice pack added to keep things cool. Actually, most of the time I just skip the ice pack since the thing is insulated and seems to work well enough without one. Plus if you’re trying to watch what you eat, the little containers help you keep track of how much you’re eating.

54. I’m in love with the laptop lunch system (http://laptoplunches.com)with a little ice pack added to keep things cool. Actually, most of the time I just skip the ice pack since the thing is insulated and seems to work well enough without one. Plus if you’re trying to watch what you eat, the little containers help you keep track of how much you’re eating.

55. Oh well. At least a cockroach is a little bit o’ protein!

Seriously, it sounds like you have lots of good lunch suggestions. I’m getting hungry thinking of mine today (hard boiled eggs, a pita, a fruit cup, apple, carrots and a cottage cheese.)

56. Oh well. At least a cockroach is a little bit o’ protein!

57. Don’t feel too bad. Mt friend in Florida is watching animal wars in her yard. An armidillo and a random venomous snake are battling over tenant’s rights to a hole under the house. Now that’s just scary! At least you can eat, she has to enter and exit through the garage! She hasn’t seen her mail in days.

58. Don’t feel too bad. Mt friend in Florida is watching animal wars in her yard. An armidillo and a random venomous snake are battling over tenant’s rights to a hole under the house. Now that’s just scary! At least you can eat, she has to enter and exit through the garage! She hasn’t seen her mail in days.

59. Do you have another way to make hot water besides a microwave? If not, you can get these little containers that plug into the wall and heat up water for you very quickly – they’re inexpensive, and totally worth it. You could also heat up soup in one of them.

I’m not sure what the brand is (I think it’s Thai Kitchen), but I used to get these really good Thai dishes in the grocery store. They come in little bowls, and you just need to add water. There’s also a lot of different flavors. Good luck!

60. Do you have another way to make hot water besides a microwave? If not, you can get these little containers that plug into the wall and heat up water for you very quickly – they’re inexpensive, and totally worth it. You could also heat up soup in one of them.

61. Try the pouched tuna that you can keep in your desk drawer…..I have several of ‘StarKist’ that I keep in mine….no appliances required. Keep some crackers in there and you are ready to go. Could even keep a small jar of peanut butter in there with the crackers.
    But to tell the truth I’ve put a small refrigerator up under my desk….$50 @ Walmart. It’s out of the way and nobody knows it’s there and I don’t have to worry about my food disappearing from the breakroom frig. :o)

62. Try the pouched tuna that you can keep in your desk drawer…..I have several of ‘StarKist’ that I keep in mine….no appliances required. Keep some crackers in there and you are ready to go. Could even keep a small jar of peanut butter in there with the crackers.

63. *shrieks and runs away from thought of roachy salad*

Um, maybe it would be worthwhile to get a very small refrigerator for your cube? Or bring your lunch in a small cooler? That will give you a lot more lunch options.

64. *shrieks and runs away from thought of roachy salad*

65. Yup, everyone else beat me to the cooler/insulated lunch bag with ice packs. Good luck! I wouldn’t have thrown the salad out, I would have complained like hell. Bleck. I don’t know that I’ll be able to eat a salad again for a while now.
    …shudder…

66. Yup, everyone else beat me to the cooler/insulated lunch bag with ice packs. Good luck! I wouldn’t have thrown the salad out, I would have complained like hell. Bleck. I don’t know that I’ll be able to eat a salad again for a while now.
    …shudder…

67. What one needs to do about lunches is make it easy on yourself…my DD and I are with the extended family skiing this week (I actually tried to ski yesterday…boy am I sore!!!!). I hate making lunches, but we are eating Weight Watchers Core (healthy food), so no lodge food for us…I baked chicken when we were cooking dinner (no extra work) and sliced it up. Then you can though it into baggies. As you make supper, in lulls, make a sandwich, put it in a bag, and toss it in the fridge. In the morning, put it and some fruit in to a lunch bag, and it’s no big deal.

If I do it while I’m doing other cooking, I don’t notice, otherwise I hate doing it!

68. What one needs to do about lunches is make it easy on yourself…my DD and I are with the extended family skiing this week (I actually tried to ski yesterday…boy am I sore!!!!). I hate making lunches, but we are eating Weight Watchers Core (healthy food), so no lodge food for us…I baked chicken when we were cooking dinner (no extra work) and sliced it up. Then you can though it into baggies. As you make supper, in lulls, make a sandwich, put it in a bag, and toss it in the fridge. In the morning, put it and some fruit in to a lunch bag, and it’s no big deal.

69. I have no suggestions that haven’t been made, except, how about one of those little desktop refrigerators? Just big enough for a soda and a sandwich (or leftovers). I myself can’t abide a non-refrigerated sandwich, even if it’s just a PB&J.

70. I have no suggestions that haven’t been made, except, how about one of those little desktop refrigerators? Just big enough for a soda and a sandwich (or leftovers). I myself can’t abide a non-refrigerated sandwich, even if it’s just a PB&J.

71. Hi Wendy, I’m a long-time lurker too – Thanks for sharing Lucy as well as your knitting.
    I’m having a problem w/ my new knitpicks. The left-hand needle gets loose as I knit & I have to stop and tighten constantly. The yarn gets hung up in the threads of the joining. Have you had this problem at all?
    Sorry about your trauma lunch – Makes you wanna stay home w/Lucy doesn’t it?

72. Hi Wendy, I’m a long-time lurker too – Thanks for sharing Lucy as well as your knitting.
    Sorry about your trauma lunch – Makes you wanna stay home w/Lucy doesn’t it?

73. Oh My God Wendy. You had me squirming in my chair and covering my mouth to prevent screaming with that description of the coachroch coming out of your salad. Dear Lord!!! I’m still trying to get over it . . . . . I can’t imagine!

By the way, I love my Options too. Thanks Wendy for all that you share. I’m finding that if Wendy Johnson gives it a thumbs up than I know I’ll like it too! You are the Oprah Winfrey of the knitting world!!!!

74. Oh My God Wendy. You had me squirming in my chair and covering my mouth to prevent screaming with that description of the coachroch coming out of your salad. Dear Lord!!! I’m still trying to get over it . . . . . I can’t imagine!

75. Oh.My.God. Eeeww. Ok, I officially have the heebiejeebies going now. Wendy, you would heard me screaming from here (a good three hours to the south of you). I don’t blame you for being a bit freaked out.

At least Mr. Roach didn’t ask you if you had any spare dressing.

76. Oh.My.God. Eeeww. Ok, I officially have the heebiejeebies going now. Wendy, you would heard me screaming from here (a good three hours to the south of you). I don’t blame you for being a bit freaked out.

At least Mr. Roach didn’t ask you if you had any spare dressing.

77. I know what you mean. I worked in an office building in Houston. I was sitting at my desk reviewing a permit when I noticed something move out of the corner of my eye. I look down and I saw a 2 inch long cockroach on my sweater. I jumped up yelling and stomped the thing. Amazingly, in a crowded office, no one came running. What if I had a real health emergency, and not just a cockroach spaz? Caring coworkers. :)
    I hate cockroaches soooooooooooo much.

78. I know what you mean. I worked in an office building in Houston. I was sitting at my desk reviewing a permit when I noticed something move out of the corner of my eye. I look down and I saw a 2 inch long cockroach on my sweater. I jumped up yelling and stomped the thing. Amazingly, in a crowded office, no one came running. What if I had a real health emergency, and not just a cockroach spaz? Caring coworkers. :)
    I hate cockroaches soooooooooooo much.

79. Wendy –
    I have to bring my lunch every day to work – and I get really sick of sandwiches, too. Get an insulated lunch bag, and one of those blocks of blue ice — that works well enough to keep things cold, like salads, yogurt, sandwiches with meat, cold leftovers, etc. You can also freeze some leftovers, and they will be defrosted enough to eat by lunch time. I bought a small wide-mouthed thermos to bring hot stuff in to work – soup, chili, etc. That keeps things hot in the winter when I want something cold. Tupperware also makes a lunch kit, kind of like a bento box, where you have different sized containers to put stuff for lunch. I hate making lunches, but in my case where I work there aren’t many options. I’ve gotten in the habit of planning what I’m going to bring the night before, and then getting up a little earlier in the AM to pack it. Yeah, it’s one more thing to carry with my knitting and all my other stuff, but I found that the bigger tote bags can carry it all. Hope this helps!
    Peace,
    Chris.

80. Wendy –
    Peace,
    Chris.

81. “Take Lucy to the office on bring-your-daughter-to-work-day.” LOL LOL LOL

82. “Take Lucy to the office on bring-your-daughter-to-work-day.” LOL LOL LOL

83. I had a worm. It emerged from the uncooked stuffed peppers I purchased from my favorite grocery store– but not until after I had cooked them (and him/her). The store gave me my money back AND a $25 gift card. Actually I would have eaten the peppers. It was my husband’s swoon that got to me.
    A cockroach is a whole other matter, though. GACK.

84. I had a worm. It emerged from the uncooked stuffed peppers I purchased from my favorite grocery store– but not until after I had cooked them (and him/her). The store gave me my money back AND a $25 gift card. Actually I would have eaten the peppers. It was my husband’s swoon that got to me.
    A cockroach is a whole other matter, though. GACK.

85. If frozen gel packs will freak out security at your building, try the stuff at thermos.com. They have developed all kinds of thermal bags, packs, lunch boxes, etc. The local Wegmans also sells thermal lunch bags about the size, or a bit bigger than, the basic lunch-sized brown bag. That’s if you can even imagine eating lunch again, after meeting your last lunch guest…

86. If frozen gel packs will freak out security at your building, try the stuff at thermos.com. They have developed all kinds of thermal bags, packs, lunch boxes, etc. The local Wegmans also sells thermal lunch bags about the size, or a bit bigger than, the basic lunch-sized brown bag. That’s if you can even imagine eating lunch again, after meeting your last lunch guest…

87. I think I will be sick.

Is there any chance you could put a microwave in that new office of yours?

88. I think I will be sick.

Is there any chance you could put a microwave in that new office of yours?

89. You win for most disgusting lunch story. Ever.

I often bring my own lunch just because the stuff offered here is pretty fatty. But, like you, I hate the time it takes. I like to bring wraps, because you can cram more interesting things into one (one of my favorites is hummus, cheddar, cucumber and tomato), and they seem a little more exotic than a humble sandwich. The only kinds I put in the fridge are meat wraps, but you could find lots of non-meat ingredients that wouldn’t need to be fridged, or get an insulated lunch bag (I have one and it works really well). L.L. Bean makes a lunch bag that has an insert for one of those cold pack things, too (and they’re cheap, only around $15). I also like to bring a container of cut up fruit like mango, papaya, or melon. I guess I’m kind of a weirdo in that I LIKE my fruit to be room temperature, but all of those fruits hold up well to sitting around cut up (unlike say, an apple which goes brown), and cut up fruit is easier to eat with dignity. (At least it is for me!) Usually I just have fruit and a wrap, but sometimes I bring some taboule salad and stoned wheat thins or a variety of sliced vegetables. I buy everything pre-cut, by the way. No way am I going to stand in the kitchen at 7am and slice carrots. I’m lucky to remember the bag on my way out the door!

90. You win for most disgusting lunch story. Ever.

91. Stephanie E says:

Have you seen the cute felted “lunch sack” on http://www.knitty.com? I think a cold drink will keep your lunch cool or opt for things that don’t require refrig. Protein bars are a decent choice (CLIF bars Crunchy Peanut Butter)… fruit, veggie, cheese.

As for needles for lace, I’m using a Bryspun circular for a Helen’s Lace project and it’s wonderful. Has the perfect tip, not too sharp or blunt, feels good in the hand, the join is smooth. I was determined not to like them but I do! http://www.brysonknits.com/bryspun

Carry on.

92. Stephanie E says:

Carry on.

93. Oh geez, I don’t really have any great ideas but want to offer my unlimited sympathy for your plight. I also work in a large office building in the city. I know there are probably legions of little skulking things around here, though I’ve been fortunate enough to never see one up close and personal. This is a good thing, since I have a ridiculous phobia about cockroaches and would probably have to be sedated if I saw one. And if one was in my food? Forget sedation, I would just curl up and die! You’re a braver woman than me!

94. Oh geez, I don’t really have any great ideas but want to offer my unlimited sympathy for your plight. I also work in a large office building in the city. I know there are probably legions of little skulking things around here, though I’ve been fortunate enough to never see one up close and personal. This is a good thing, since I have a ridiculous phobia about cockroaches and would probably have to be sedated if I saw one. And if one was in my food? Forget sedation, I would just curl up and die! You’re a braver woman than me!

95. This is my first comment, so I’ll start at the top: love your blog.
    My two favorite lunches are 1) sliced apple and peanut butter (I get the smuckers organic, pour off the fat, and it is yum)–much like the lunch you mentioned but does not require the bread or the sandwich-making, and 2) hummus, salsa and chips. Again, easy easy.
    Good luck, and may your life be long and vermin-free.

Murrie

96. This is my first comment, so I’ll start at the top: love your blog.
    Good luck, and may your life be long and vermin-free.

Murrie

97. Cockroaches, yuck. From experience, some veggies, fruit, yogurt and some cheeses hold up rather well without a fridge. Think about it yogurt and cheese are basically selectively spoiled milk any way.

When we backpack we eat a lot of summer sausage, bagels, and waxed cheeses, like gouda or edam. And although it’s not exactly healthy, peanut butter spread between two of those bite size special dark bars is really tasty too. Sugar, chocolate and protein,all the important food. lol

98. Cockroaches, yuck. From experience, some veggies, fruit, yogurt and some cheeses hold up rather well without a fridge. Think about it yogurt and cheese are basically selectively spoiled milk any way.

99. Another long-time lurker. Your knitting has really inspired me over the past year; I’m highly amused by the toe-up sock pattern. And Lucy is gorgeous.

Consider yourself lucky. I was out to dinner with a friend and he discovered the cockroach in his salad when he crunched down on it as he was chewing. Our dinner was free, and we got a gift certificate…but for some reason we didn’t use it.

I highly recommend the bento idea. I love Japanese food, and I love cooking, so what I consider easy might be a bit more adventurous than you’d like. Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go (a cookbook you can find on Amazon) has inspired me a lot. I especially like the miso balls you can make to have fresh miso soup, just add water. Japanese rice can be tasty at room temperature, especially if you like ‘furikake’, various flavored ‘sprinkles’ that make leftover rice be new again.

I’d recommend poking through specialty food stores, too. There’s all sorts of funky foods – asian, indian, mexican, etc. that can inspire you to tastier, healthier lunches. Or treat yourself with a favorite pickle, specialty cheese, etc. I rarely ever eat a sandwich.

Off to nibble on my leftovers…

100. Another long-time lurker. Your knitting has really inspired me over the past year; I’m highly amused by the toe-up sock pattern. And Lucy is gorgeous.

Off to nibble on my leftovers…