1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Even Super Heros Need to Nap

lucy050107 Even Super Heros Need to Nap

It’s exhausting being Super Ragdoll.

Speaking of exhausting, I called in sick today because I’ve been busy coughing up a lung, and it didn’t seem right to let work interfere with that. But I’m feeling better this evening, so hopefully the worst is past. Apart from bruising my ribs from coughing, that is.

Miter Fun

I decided to set aside the sleeve I’m working on and do the shoulders and neckband on my miter sweater.

I picked up stitches along one shoulder edge, by knitting into the chained edge on the top of each square.

miter050107 Even Super Heros Need to Nap

Same with the other edge.

miter050107a Even Super Heros Need to Nap

Then I did a three-needle bind-off.

miter050107b Even Super Heros Need to Nap

One shoulder seam complete.

miter050107c Even Super Heros Need to Nap

I picked up stitches around the neck, by once again picking up one stitch in each of the chains along the edge. I did this before completing the second shoulder seam so I could knit back and forth to do a garter stitch band.

miter050107d Even Super Heros Need to Nap

On the next knit row, I decreased a few stitches evenly around the neck so it wouldn’t end up too wide. I knitted a total of 5 rows, then cast off in knit, decreasing a stitch at each curve of the neck.

Then I did the other shoulder seam using a three-needle bind-off.

miter050107e Even Super Heros Need to Nap

I’m very pleased with the neck now — not too wide, but big enough to fit easily over my head.

miter050107f Even Super Heros Need to Nap

Now, back to the first sleeve.

Oh, and I started a new sock last night.

sip050107 Even Super Heros Need to Nap

This is Fleece Artist Sea Wool sock yarn — 70% merino, and 30% sea cell, in the “Marine” colorway. I bought it from The Loopy Ewe, of course, when Sheri got it in a couple of weeks ago.

sip050107a Even Super Heros Need to Nap

I really love this yarn. The sea cell adds a nice dimension to it — very firm and silky and at the same time, the knitted fabric is nice and stretchy. I’m using my usual size 0 needle and getting 8 stitches to the inch.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll go knit on it some more.

Comments

1. Your sweater is looking good Wendy, but the Sea Wool has me wiping drool from my keyboard. I can’t wait to get my mitts on some.
    Noko and Ome wave a six toed hello to Lucy.

2. woohoo! You now have a groovy vest!

Love the new sock yarn. Has a beautiful sheen to it. Looks like you are working the new toe design?

3. Nancy J says:

C’mon, Lucy, help Mama get well! Your sweater is looking better and better! And those blues in the sock are so pretty!

4. Hope the lung gets better, being O2 dependent would interfer with your knitting. (how’d this tubing get in here?)

Lovely Mitres.

5. OMG, for some reason I thought you were making a cardigan, talk about not paying attention. Super Lucy looks like she’s doing yoga.

6. Gosh, the miter sweater is *really* coming together nicely!

Thanks for the info on Fleece Artist Sea Wool. I just got a couple of skeins myself and it’s good to see that it knits up so beautifully.

Now, time to nap a la Super Ragdoll!

7. Marianne Y says:

I really love your new scok yarn! The color is gorgeous! It’s another one that I will have to add to my list of must-haves!

You’re mitered sweater is lovely!

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re under the weather. I hope you feel better soon!

Take care!

8. The neckband looks fantastic! And I love the new sock yarn. Those are just my colours. They remind me of the clear blue skies we get here in Hawaii.

9. Your sweater just looks nicer and nicer, I admit. If you were gonna do this as a vest, how would you do the armholes, if I may ask? Not that uh, I have fantasies about this. Nope. Not me.

10. The sweater is coming along quite nicely. I wasn’t to sure about it when I first saw it but now that its starting to look like a sweater I’m liking. :)

11. I want to try knitting with the Sea Wool at some point, but I really ought to use up the skein of Sea Silk that I have first. I have the perfect pattern for it, but of course, I don’t have the right size needles. :/

Sorry to hear about you being sick. Lung problems suck beyond the telling. Good to know that you’re feeling somewhat better, though. Dr. Ria orders you to take some more time off work, though, to make sure you’ve completely recovered!

12. I love sea wool, makes such nice socks. I’m on my second pair. :-)

I like how the neckband turned out on the sweater too.

13. The neckline and shoulders look great!

I’m glad that Lucy’s leg is all well now and that she’s getting plenty of rest.

14. Carol B says:

Hope you’re feeling better – knitting should help with that!

I love the Sea Wool – I’m currently working on a pair in the Woodland color. I would normally have gone for the color that you chose, but decided to wander outside my norm this time.

Carol

15. Sorry to hear you’re sick. It’s no fun when the lungs try to take a hike on their own.

Thank you for posting the details of your miter sweater. This may be a dumb question, but with your 3-needle bind-off seam, is your seam on the outside as a decorative element or the inside?

The neckline looks very nice.

16. The Sea Wool looks lovely. How is the fabric it’s making? Is it as heavy as traditional wool? I’m looking for some lighter weight sock yarn for hot California summer wear.

(PS – if any other commenters have suggestions, those would be appreciated too, though I’m not sure I’ll be able to read all of Wendy’s comments. She usually gets so many! But if you could drop me a note at my blog I’d really appreciate it.)

17. Wendy- For me, it’s the colors and the oceany-Mermaidy-Seaweedy smell.

I think we talked about this before, but I have some sitting on my coffee table and you can smell it all over the house.

Yarn-as-air-freshener!

18. Lucy looks like she is in a deep forward bend pose from yoga. Such a limber kitty!

The neck band turned out really well on your mitered sweater. Thanks for explaining your steps.

I got to fondle a friend’s skein of Sea Wool today, and it is really nice yarn. The colors in your Marine yarn are really beautiful.

19. Feel better! I’m suffering with horrific allergies here in Oregon. I will have to try that Fleece artist yarn…sounds yummy.

20. wow. seeing the pieces of your sweater all come together, it’s like magic (for the uninitiated like myself).

really liking the colors of that sock yarn. looks nice n shiny.

one of my favorite things is watching kitties nap with their feet all tucked together like that.

21. Wendy, your sweater is looking great. I really like the brown neckband. I crochet so when you first started making the sweater I learned how to do a crochet miter. Hmmm, I may have to try a miter sweater in crochet…..

22. That brown neckline looks great.

23. The sweater looks great! Can’t wait to see it finished. You really are our knitting superhero!

Do you find that the sea cell content in the sock yarn give it a fishy smell? What about when it’s wet? I almost bought some but thought that when wearing, it might make my shoes smell like the sea.

24. Love, love, love the sweater!

25. Sea Silk socks. Wonders will never cease!

26. I hope you feel better soon! Your miter neck and shoulders turned out wonderfully and I love your new sock yarn, very pretty.

27. I hope you feel better soon…I’ve been coughing up a lung for a week or so, and it’s taking its time to go away gradually. Hopefully yours will get lost quicker!

28. Of course hoping that you feel better. The knitting also looks great. But the best is Lucy! I LOVE when they lay with all their feet together like that!

29. I’m looking forward to seeing your finished sweater – it’s such an intriguing project. Feel better soon.

30. Feel better soon! :)

31. I hope your ribs recover and that you’re able to return to your regularly scheduled activities tomorrow! I hate that part of colds, the discovering muscles I didn’t know I had… but only discovering them because they hurt.

32. Ann Carpenter says:

Hi Wendy, I just balled up a skein of Sea Wool in Parrot tonight. I like it a lot but don’t know when I’ll get to start it. Not that I don’t already have four pairs started! I tried your new toe up method of cast on and really liked it. Funnily enough, the first time I did your short row toe it worked perfectly. Since then it hasn’t worked at all. This is tres typical of me for some reason so I liked this new toe. I also tried the Knitty Magic cast on and didn’t like it either although I used it for the first of my Duet socks. Have you tried them yet? The yarn is lovely. The pair I’m doing has spring green toes and heels and a variagated green and purple for the foot and leg. It’s cool! My favorite colors. I also have some green and pink and on order some yellow and pink. Hope it hurries and gets here. Bless Lucy’s heart. Most ragdolls aren’t that inclined to climb high and jump so she must be a really lively girl. We lost my baby girl Mouse on Sunday. She had been sick all her life with epilepsy and recently got much worse. I think she had a seizure Friday night and fell onto something and broke her jaw. Her mouth was bleeding all day Saturday and,of course, no vet available. By Sunday she was gone. It was a blessing for her because she was really, really unwell but I hate it because she was my favorite of all my eight babies. I had raised her since she was barely as big as my palm which was why she was called Mouse. She was solid black and never grew as big as a chihuahua. Tiny, dainty, delicate, and tough as nails, that was my baby Mouse. Poor little lamb. Anyway, Lucy is adorable. I like your mitre sweater too. Is it as irritating to do as it looks like it would be? I think I would go mad on it. But, it surely is pretty. Good luck with the sleeves.
    Ann Carpenter in Dallas, Texas

33. Meribeth says:

That sweater is to die for! The neck makes it look sharp and more sophisticated. There is no way it is clownish!

I have had a strict Stash Knitting for the last year. I got home from MDSW and was shocked at the results, so no yarn until next years show. It is now Next Years Show, and I am going to look for sock yarn. Thanks for the new addiction, Wendy. I have been successfully fighting it for two years….until now. Thank you for a new addiction….and thank you very much for your reviews!

34. Beautiful socks! I am in the midst of doing your toe up pattern and had to rip the heel back because it was too short. The pattern said to start the heel when you had just 2 inches left for the foot, but when I did the heel, it was only about and inch. Any ideas? or are my rows just small?
    And one other question, Goddess of Lace, when a lace pattern calls to increase and stay with the pattern – do you do the next stitch of the pattern and then the edge stitches? (and then try to remember you added a stitch and didn’t make a mistake)

35. Wow, I’m really loving the Mitered Sweater!

The Sea Silk is wonderful, isn’t it?

BTW, what brand of sock needles are you using for this yarn? I noticed they’re metal. I use my Mom’s 50 year old + knitting “pins”, old size 13, and they are the best needles ever for socks.

Hope you feel better!!

36. Lovely sweater! Question about the neck: is there a reason why you didn’t seam both shoulders and then knit the neck in the round, mimicking garter with knit 1 row, purl 1 row? I know your finishing work is wonderful, but what about those of us who are less inclined to pick up a sewing needle? Would it affect the drape?

37. I really like the choice of brown for the neckband. I’ll have to check at my local Fleece Artist vendor to see if she has ordered and of that sock yarn. I’ve ben on the edge of my seat waiting for her order of their new Flaxen yarn (Silk and Linen).

38. I had my doubts about the sweater, but you have proven me wrong. The neckline is pure genius.
    I love Lucy.

39. Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. Hope all is better by now. The mitered sweater is really coming along. I don’t know why, but I somehow thought that it was going to be a cardi…don’t know where I got that. It’s really coming out beautifully though! And I love the new sock yarn! Beautiful colors! May have to find some of that myself.

P.S. I’m hosting a little sock along that you might be interested in. Details on my blog. :)

40. The miter sweater is looking wonderful! I’m glad to see Lucy knows to pace herself. Saving the world can wear one out, and she needs to be ready when duty calls!

41. Michele in Maine says:

Isn’t the sea wool just to die for? I’m doing the bordello sock in pale pink, and just ordered some ruby red from simplysockyarn.com. It’s really nice to knit with!

Hope the coughing gets better soon! I actually broke two ribs a couple years back coughing from pneumonia.

Take a page from Lucy’s book – nap~!

42. I hope you feel better and work still isn’t interfering in things like sleeping it off (the coughing being over) and knitting. Mostly knitting.

43. I love the new sock’s color!
    I hope you feel better soon–I pulled a large muscle in my side from coughing this spring so I can certianally sympathize.

44. I’d *really* worry if you were too sick to knit, and I’m glad that’s not the case. Feel better!

45. Oh my goodness! I love the sea wool! It’s beautiful. I made a shawl out of sea silk (swallow tail shawl from interweave) and just love the feel and smell.

Ria: you didn’t say, but are you thinking of making socks out of the sea silk? It doesn’t have much stretch, none actually. But it is so lovely.

I have got to get some sea wool now and try socks. I love, love, love the smell. It’s not fishy. It’s sea salty!

46. What a beautiful sweater! And socks! I can’t believe I missed Super Ragdoll, OMG she’s an animal! (No offense intended Lucy) I love when they sleep with their paws piled together:)

47. The neckband looks wonderful! It really pulls everything together. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

48. Hey Wendy, what’s the pin in your toe of your sock for?

49. Wendy, gorgeous sweater! The sock yarn looks good enough to swim in (that is, if I knew how to swim). Anyway, what is sea cell?

Knit On!

50. Those socks look dreamy. Lovely stuff. Count me as one who doesn’t care for the miter sweater as it is (I think I don’t care for the colors), but I’m fascinated with the structure etc. anyway. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

I’m really enjoying your fearlessness in designing knitted things. Wonderful!

51. Fascinating the way the sweater is coming together…I’m enjoying it develop! And I LOVE that sock yarn!
    (((hugs)))

52. I absolutely love that color (speaking of the Sea Wool, the mitered sweater is great too but I’m a blues gal). I’m going to have to snag some of that for myself as soon as the budget allows.

53. The mitred sweater ia amazing. thanks for posting the step-by-step process you’ve used for this. Whether or not I would ever make one, I love seeing how the idea turns into the general plan, developed further as you go until it becomes the real thing, lovely, unique and truly yours.

54. Is it just me, or do your dpn’s have some sort of groove on them? I am totally intrigued! What is this grove, and do I need needles that are grooved (or do I just need to clean my glasses)?

And that sock yarn is definitely yummy!