Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

The Latest Movie

This just in, from Cecil B. deKOARC, depicting Lucy at one of her favorite activities.

A couple of you mentioned in the comments not being able to visualize the sleeve for my miter sweater. Here it is, folded in half and placed next to the body of the sweater in the position it will be sewn.

miter050707 The Latest Movie

The sleeve looks a tad odd now, but will look much better once it is sewn up.

Meantime, I am working on the second sleeve.

miter050707a The Latest Movie

I’m starting to see mitered squares in my sleep, but the end is in sight — another week or so and the sweater will be done.

Lucy, in the meantime, works on achieving a perfect circle.

lucy050707 The Latest Movie

Comments

1. The meow-choo is deeply impressed by Lucy’s circle! And circles right back at her.

The sleeve makes more sense now, thanks.

2. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Love the video of Lucy! My Jenny has a fondness for emery boards as well.

Hope you’re feeling much better.

3. Mary Lou says:

Why do cats find emery boards so appealing? My two Siamese babies love chewing mine to bits! Your miter sweater is truly unique and lovely.
    Blogless Mary Lou

4. That Lucy!! Not only is she stunningly beautiful, but she’s clever as can be.

5. I think I need to give Zoe an emery board. It appears that she is missing out on some fun!

6. Lucy is adorable!!

7. I could just scoop Lucy up and carry her all around and give her fresh chicks and…

8. The video’s hilarious! When I saw the initial scene, I thought we were going to see Lucy spinning.

For my cat, Citrus, it’s pens & pencils that trip his trigger. And occasionally glasses.

Miters rule! You’re on the homestretch!

Lucy’s final pic kinda reminds me of the symbol of the serpent swallowing its tail — Ouroboros or Ourobouros — very circular!

9. Sharon says:

I just finished my first complete sock! And I used your newly posted toe up sock. I had tried a cuff down sock about 5 or 6 times and just wasn’t getting it right. I was not digging the wrap and turn thing. (I’m a fairly new knitter -off and on for a year now.) I really, really like your pattern. It was so fast and so easy. I am picturing many pairs of socks in my future.

10. Shelda says:

Wow! Now that the sweater is laid out in a kind of a sweater fashion, it really looks great. I hadn’t been able to really visualize it before. Looks like it will be a fun one to wear.

And Lucy’s circle is oh so very… ohm!

11. I’m sure if I could just curl into a perfect circle, I would have the best sleep ever…

12. Caught in the act Lucy!

Sally does the same thing. Lucy makes a much nicer circle though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. Geometry Lucy-style. I would have enjoyed learning it much more with her as a model. Will she do a square next? Or perhaps a triangle?

My Suzy is not so good at circles. She is much better at tangents.

14. Lucy in action! Tiger stills my files too…I think they like sharpening their teeth because, you know, Meow Mix requires serious fangs! Love the sweater too…it’s going to look fabulous!

15. I nominate that film for an Academy Award! Um, well, you know, if I had anything to do with awards. or academies.

I’ll shut up now.

(But she’s awfully cute).

16. Patricia says:

Darn- the video won’t play on my computer! in her younger days, my cat went bonkers over broken vaccum cleaner belts.

17. Oh no, I can’t let Twyla know that Lucy is on YouTube. I thought it would be enough for Twyla to be on Flickr, but her cousin Lucy had to up the anty. Maybe someday I can film Twyla squirming around, she very rarely stays still unless she’s sleeping.

Love your sweater. Hope you’re feeling better.

18. Is that a Minstrel in the background? I played with one of those at Maryland S&W. My first time with a wheel and it spun like a dream! What’s the other wheel? Do you have a preference?

19. Sparky the bob-tail wonder cat has driven every contractor that has ever worked here to distraction. She steals pencils the same way that Lucy steals emery boards!

20. Wow, just like Masterpiece Theater!

Seeing the sleeve in its proper position, it looks like when it’s finished, it will all look like one piece. Amazing.

21. That’s so CUTE! Wow miters miters miters….wonder if they’ll be out of your system after this? Love the glow you’ve managed with your color choices. Looking forward to the final result.

22. Lucy looks like she’s completely worn out by the kitty emery olympics, poor thing. My Lucy’s favorite olympic sport is carrying around zipstrips from plastic bags; she even brings them to bed with her.

23. Lucy *is* a perfect circle!!! I love that cat!

24. That is the cutest picture of Lucy – she is the purrrrfect circle! Sorry, couldn’t resist!

25. Lucy: Oh, my. Look! That emery board somehow fell off the table onto the floor. How the heck did that happen? Let me go down and get it.

26. Susannah B says:

Thank you for showing the sleeve in progress, but if I may ask, why are you knitting them separately and sewing them in? From your earlier posted diagram, I got the impression it was going to be done in one piece – any benefits to doing it this way? Does the seam add stability or stiffness? Thank you again for such a great blog,
    Sincerely,
    Susannah

27. OM gosh – what a fabulous photo of Lucy!
    I laughed so hard; what is it about kitties that they make the “theft” so amazingly hard on themselves.??? “must grab it with my mouth, Mom”
    Thanks for a totally enjoyable video. Lucy rocks.

28. Smart cat. Great video.

29. I love the Woody Allen film in the background of the Lucy video. It somehow fits. And her perfect circle is amazing – much better than my cat’s!

30. Hee hee, and I think she’s done it. Hardly ready for her closeup, Mr. DeMille, but still a good pose. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m REALLY liking how the mitered sweater is turning out.

31. Theresa in Italy says:

Cecil B. DeKOARC—the man is gifted. Certainly knows how to coax the best out of his stars!

Thanks for demonstrating the proper positioning of the sleeve—I’m one of those who couldn’t figure it out before—and that mitered sweater just gets better and better looking.

Hope you’re feeling better.

32. The perfect circle is complete! She almost looks like a yin-yang with her dark tail and lighter back. I love how the sweater is turning out. Sleeves always look wonky to me until they are sewn together.

33. I’m loving the Mitered sweater — it just gets prettier as it gets bigger!

34. sarah meow-meow says:

Just be glad it’s emery boards Lucy likes. My cat Hermes just happens to love stealing YARN and KNITTING NEEDLES!!! GRRR! Of course, maybe he’ll just become the world’s first feline knitter -always looking on the bright side;-)

35. My Sam will steal most anything. Especially wool and cotton (he eats them). Apollo (the dog) tries for the wooden knitting needles. The children will steal both and in the end, there is yarn, knitting needles splinters and a sick cat everywhere.

Love the Lucy circle. She’s good.

36. What IS it with cats and emery boards? lolol!
    Great video!
    Sweater looks daunting…and I would be dreaming mitres, myself! But wow, is it gorgeous…
    (((hugs)))

37. LOL love the video of Lucy, mine are only interested in thing’s that roll like row counters :/

38. Lucy *is* kitty pi. ๐Ÿ˜‰

39. Oh, that perfect circle is absolutely perfect! She’s so beautiful–and sneaky, stealing that emery board the way she did. Gives new definition to the phrase “cat burglar.” Ha ha ha.

40. Your Lucy pixs keep me going. The sleeve looks great in the position it is in. I love to watch the progress of your projects. They inspire me to more than just more of the same mindless projects.

41. Lucy steals the show again. What a ham!

42. I need to give Quincy some emery boards so he can start leaving my roving alone!

43. I love the way the sweater looks! Have you decided how you feel about it yet? It’s definitely something I’d wear. I have to come back for the video, I guess there’s too much traffic or something, it gets stuck “loading.”

44. My cat Boodles, who left us in 1999, loved emery boards! She also loved sewing pattern paper – I couldn’t leave it even for a few seconds while cutting out as she’d chew it all up.

My current cat, Kyle, has a thing for plastic grocery bags. He chews the air next to the bag. I think he thinks he’s chewing the bag, but fortunately he really isn’t. He does this a lot lately when his tummy is upset (he’s 17 and in fragile health… ๐Ÿ™ )

It’s funny that cats each have their “thing.”

Love the knitting, too, in addition to the Lucy photos and movies!

45. Wow…Lucy looks so soft…I can’t wait to try out the sock pattern too.

Thanks for posting it.

46. Beautiful work, Wendy, and beautiful circle, Lucy.

47. I loved the video! I had an Abby who used to love to chase pennies off the edge of a table. I’d line them up (being the well-trained human that I am) and one by one she would give them a tap, make a half-hearted effort to catch them and then watch them land, bounce, and roll around. Then on to the next ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you starting to think about your post-mitered sweater project? A return to lace perhaps?

48. Simon loves emery boards,too. I keep a couple in my pencil-and-crochet-hook cup, and he works hard to pull them out.

49. Deniasha says:

The video won’t play for me. I’ve tried on two different computers and no luck. Lucy’s circle looks perfect, but everything she does is perfect.

50. I totally have a cat who does that!

51. Your cat is darling. Absolutely charismatic. I’m raising a toast to your super sweet kitty! Dunno what separates her from the other internet cats, but she is just one cute cat.