Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is my dad’s birthday. Happy birthday, Dad!

dad051407 Happy Birthday, Dad!

You can get some idea of how old that photo is — that’s my brother Dave and me in the picture. We look a little different now. My dad, of course, looks exactly the same today as he did then. ๐Ÿ™‚

My dad is one of the most brilliant people I have ever known (this is, of course, a totally unbiased opinion and while I’m at it, I’ll say that it runs in the family) and has more intellectual curiosity about all sorts of stuff than anyone else I know. And I’m pretty sure I inherited my love of electronic “toys” from him.

Most importantly, he is an all-around good dad! So please leave him a Happy Birthday in my comments, okay?

(Yep, my dad reads my blog. Told ya he was a good dad!)

Blog Fodder Photo!

When I came out of the subway this morning on my way to work, I saw this parked on the street.

car051407 Happy Birthday, Dad!

It’s a Chevrolet, and it had a classic car license plate that said “1950” on it. Isn’t it cool?

Back to Knitting

Jaimie L asked:
When you knit a swatch for socks or round knitting in general do you have to knit the swatch in the round, or can you do it flat? And if your swatch is round how big around should it be?

KarenJoSeattle answered:
I’ll put in my 2 cents on the swatch in the round question. I swatch in the round for larger projects like sweaters but swatch flat for socks. My logic is socks have negative ease and are small enough that the difference isn’t worth the extra yarn.

I agree.

I generally don’t swatch for socks, unless I’m knitting with a yarn that’s quite different than the sock yarns I usually use. Then I’ll just do a small square — 20 stitches or less — just to get an idea of how the yarn is knitting up.

I didn’t bother with a swatch for my Summerfield Socks, for instance. While I’ve never used this particular sock yarn before, it looks like standard fingering weight. And it is — I’m getting 8 stitches to the inch with it.

sip051407a Happy Birthday, Dad!

Speaking of these socks, Mary asked how the yarn feels — if it has “give” to it. It does. While it’s not as elastic as 100% wool sock yarn, it does have enough give to make me happy. It’s a joy to knit, too. It just feels wonderful. I’m betting these are going to be comfy socks.

Warning! Shocking Content!

Just to prove to y’all that I am not totally inflexible, I put my Grasshopper sock back on two circs Saturday night and have been knitting it that way.

sip051407 Happy Birthday, Dad!

I told L-B that over the phone this morning and there was dead silence. Freaking out your friends who thought they knew you? Priceless.

But I still prefer dpns for socks.

Tune in tomorrow for photos of a finished miter sweater!

Lucy

Lucy and I thank you for all your lovely Lucy-versary wishes. Lucy actually gave me two Mother’s Day cards yesterday.

One of them came in the mail and bore a postmark of Richmond, Virginia, so I think she had some help with that one (cough::L-B::cough) and the other one I found on my computer chair. Her “pawmanship” on that card looks suspiciously like the KOARC‘s handwriting.

lucy051407 Happy Birthday, Dad!

But Lucy will not ‘fess up.

Comments

1. Happy Belated Birthday oh Dad of Wendy!
    Hope you had a special day!

2. Happy Birthday Wendys Dad, hope you have a great day.
    I don’t like 2 circs either, knitted one pair with them to see if I could, I love my dpns!

3. Happy, Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! My warmest wishes from Down Under, Perth, Western Australia & may you have a wonderful birthday!

4. Oh darn! I’m late for your Dad’s birthday, but Happy Belated Birthday anyway! I’m sure he had a great day. Great family photo.

Love the Chevrolet police wagon. It is cool!

5. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! And you know Wendy? Your face hasn’t changed – but I want to know is where are the knitting needles in that picture!?!

Cool picture of the old police car!

Hi Lucy! *waving*

6. Meribeth says:

Happy Birthday Dad of Wendy! (did you get any toys for you B-day??)
    I’ve tried to score on Mothers Day, but our two feline boys don’t count in this house. Bummer. Going to have to show the boys and dh this entry. Guilt is a powerful tool.
    Lucy looks so elegant and lady like in this photo. Lovely!

7. Happy Birthday to you Mr. Wendy’s Dad! Congratulations on being a dad to such a great lady and also congratulations for your birthday! Many happy returns! ๐Ÿ™‚

(And congrats to you Wendy on finishing your mitre!)

8. Happy birthday Wendy’s Dad!

9. Happy Belated Birthday to Wendy’s Dad! May you have many more.

10. Happy Birthday Wendy’s dad!!

A quick warning about those Knit Picks needles. I noticed Lucy was giving them a look. Well, I’m pretty sure (and have heard others express this opinion too) that the cables on the KP needles contain catnip. ๐Ÿ™‚ Or perhaps some other cat drawing agent. But regardless, the cables appear to be irresistible to some cats. My Stuart has chewed through 3 so far. I have to be very careful not to leave them lying out. He’s even been caught digging in my knitting bag to get to them! Thankfully he’s never swallowed any, but it is frustrating to be mid sock and have to wait for a new needle to come in the mail.

11. Happy birthday, Wendy’s dad!

12. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad, from a another Wendy.

Wendy, Is there a story behind why you were named Wendy? My mom had a book from England, that was a favorite when she was little, in the book the girl had a Wendy House. I have read the book, and have to assume that the Wendy House was derived from Peter Pan’s Wendy. My mom loved the idea of a Wendy House, hence I was given the name Wendy. The name Wendy really isn’t that old and the first documented use of the name is in Peter Pan.

13. Hmmmmmmmmmm…….
    Happy Birthday to youuuu.
    Happy Birthday to youuuuuu.
    Happy Birthday dear Wendy’s dad….
    Happy Birthday to yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu!!

14. Happy Birthday to your Dad! Enjoy your day!

15. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! I certainly enjoy reading Wendy’s blog, and am amazed at her talents. I’m very sure at least half of it was inherited from you.

16. Alice in Richmond says:

Happy Belated Birthday Dad of Wendy! (Hi Wendy and Lucy too!)

17. Happy birthday, Wendy’s Dad! And many more!

18. A very happy birthday to Wendy’s Dad. She’s a wonder, and so I tend to believe what she says about you. I’m sure you are proud of her; we all love her very much.

Wendy, we have a classic police car like that here too. I love seeing it driving around on the streets.

Best,
    firefly

19. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!

20. Hope you have the happiest birthday of all birthdays, Wendy’s Dad! ๐Ÿ™‚

21. Jennifer says:

Happy Birthday, Wendy’s Dad!!

22. Happy Birthday Lucy’s Grandpa/Wendy’s Dad!

Hope you had a wonderful day!

23. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO WENDY’S DAD! Hope you have a great day! You have such a talented and whitty daughter – – must be such a proud Papa!

That old ambulance is very, very cool and in such mint condition! Thank you for sharing.

I personally enjoy knitting socks on two circs. I don’t get it when people say they don’t like it. I’m glad to hear you are giving it a go despite your not really liking it and you’re right — shocking your friends is priceless. ๐Ÿ™‚

As usual, kisses and hugs to Miss Lucy.

WendyT

24. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! Sorry for the belated wishes.

25. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad.

26. It took me two whole pairs of socks to become a 2 circ convert. No more DPN’s for me.

27. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!!!!! You’re so lucky to still have him.

28. Happy Wonderful Birthday to Wendy’s Wonderful Dad!!

29. Happy birthday Wendy’s Dad!! Sorry I’m a day late.

30. It does take a little bit of time to get used to using the circs for socks. My shearer was the one who told me about them and after I tried it, there was no going back to dpns ( now I do own some nice wooden dpns that I use to make hats with and the socks I’m working on now started life out on dpns until I managed to stab myself rather nicely in the foot and then proceeded to order some circs in the size I was using ). Give them a little more time and they will grow on you.
    Benita
    P.S.
    Happy B’day Wendy’s dad!!! Hope you get tons of good stuff.

31. Gratulerer med dagen Wendys far!! Norwegian will have to do, I don’t know Swedish. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ingrid in Philly

32. Happy Birthday Dad!

33. Happy birthday, Wendy’s Dad!

34. monique says:

Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! Wonderful fathers contribute to society by giving us wonderful people. Thank you to you and all the wonderful fathers out there, (mine included), for everything you do and have given us. Your daughter obviously loves you deeply.

35. Happy Birthday, Wendy’s Dad!

Last year, my cats sent me a Get Well card for my surgery. I thought the writing looked like Darren’s, but Packet signed it, “I love you but I hate Mister” and Mister signed it, “Where’s your lap?”

So I know they didn’t have help.

36. Happy birthday to your dad. He’s so handsome.

The police wagon is very cool!! I love seeing classic cars that are loved and preserved.

KP Dusk update: Vicki and I have exchanged skeins (they’re in the mail). Happy ending!! Thank you so much, Wendy, and I really appreciate all the nice knitters who checked their stashes for me. You’re all wonderful.

37. Michelle from Arizona says:

Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!

38. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad! You sound remarkably like my daddy! ๐Ÿ™‚

39. Happy Birthday Wendy Knit’s Dad!! How young are you today?!

40. Allyson says:

Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!

41. Carol Lee says:

Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!! Have a great day.

42. Happy Happy to Wendy’s Dad! Have a great year. I think the best Dads are born in May!

43. Happy Birthday to your dad. I love circular needles for knitting. We’ve had this discussion among our knitting group – which method is faster dp or circular? And which method gives the best result? What do you think?

44. Happy Birthday to Dad! May it be a fabulous day.

45. Happy Birthday, Wendy’s dad! I’ll bet you look a lot like my dad does now (I’d say you’re probably close in age). And similar in outlook on life, too! I hope you have a great day!

46. Happy Birthday, Wendy’s Dad!!!
    And I love that 1950s car…how cool!
    (((hugs)))

47. Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Love that old cop car. I should send it to my Dad and ask if he remembers them. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think he might hurt me if I did though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Love today’s Lucy pic. ๐Ÿ™‚

48. Happy Birthday to your dad and many more.

49. Happy Birthday-Does this mean your the proud granfather of Miss Lucy- What a joy THAT must be!

50. Happy b-day, Wendy’s dad!! (Even though i am a day late now.)

Can’t wait to see the sweater.

51. ann voorhies says:

De-lurking to say Happy Birthday and many more!

52. Happy Birthday belatedly to your Dad, hope he had a great day!

53. Happy Birthday to “another Wendy’s Dad” !!! You are so blessed to still have your Dad…I miss myb Dad every day !!!

54. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad, with many more to come!!

Pat

55. Happy belated birthday Wendy’s Dad, and Many Happy Returns!

56. Dear Wendy’sDad
    Have a great day. You are such a cool dad to read her blog and use the computers. My dad has no idea what a blog is!
    What a special picture Wendy posted of you and her!

57. Happy birthday Wendy’s Dad. Sorry I’m a day late but better late than never ๐Ÿ™‚ You appear to have done a good job raising her, so congrats! And you’re so lucky to have a grand-cat like Lucy. Hope you had good cake, lovely gifts and that this year is healthy and happy for you and yours.

58. Happy Birthday Wendy’s Dad!!

Happy anniversary to Wendy and Lucy as well.

59. Happy Birthday, Wendy’s Dad! One of my nephews was born on the same day, but many years later. He is turning 13.

60. Happy birthday to your dad.

61. You’re lucky. Stinker signs all of my cards with her bum.

62. Happy birthday to your dad.

63. Happy Birthday to your dad!

64. happy belated birthday to your dad!!!

65. If you have your sock on 2 circs, take a good look at it, and you will perceive that one of those circs is totally superfluous. Slide the stitches onto just one circ, pull out a loop at the point where you now separate for the second needle, slide out enough cord on the right-hand side to allow you to knit freely, and see if that isn’t much easier (not to mention cheaper! Addi Turbos and even bamboo circs cost as much as…well, as a skein of sock yarn! If you get my point.) See my website for details and the address for a booklet (not mine.)