1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Well, for the Love of Miters!

(First off, thank you so much for all your wonderful birthday wishes for my dad. It quite overwhelmed him! He asked me to thank all my blog buddies — so I am doing so here!)

miter051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

Would you look at that? I actually finished it!

miter051507a Well, for the Love of Miters!

I knit the last sleeve edging and sewed the thing together yesterday after work. It is a miter accompli!

miter051507b Well, for the Love of Miters!

miter051507c Well, for the Love of Miters!

Some specifications:

This is knitted entirely from sock yarns on 3.0mm needles. The yarns I used were:

Koigu — P514
Fleece Artist — Bronze
Mountain Colors — Red Tail Hawk
Twisted — Ankh
Scarlet Fleece — Sand and Sea
Lavender Sheep — Cinder
Yarntini — 4-8-15-16-23-42

I started with approximately 100 grams of each of the above yarns. I weighed some of the skeins after finishing, and found that I have an average of 65 grams per skein left.

Each 100 grams of yarn averaged 380 yards, so I started with a total of about 6000 yards of yarn. I’m guessing that the sweater took around 2000 yards. I’m putting away the leftovers for now. I’ll figure out something to do with them (like a bunch of mitered socks!) but for now I’m having a little vacation from miters.

miteryarn051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

I documented how I did the shoulder seams and neckband elsewhere on this blog. I was planning on mattress-stitching the seams, but started it and didn’t like how it looked, so started over backstitching it. That worked very well.

It was quite easy to sew together, and I didn’t need any pins, because I just matched square to square and sewed them together.

So now I put the sweater away until next autumn/winter when it will (hopefully) be cold enough to wear it.

As happy as I am to have finished this, as I was knitting the last squares on Saturday night, I was feeling nostalgic pangs. “This will be the last square in this color. And this will be the last square in this color.”

Do I like it? Yes I do!

So . . . what’s next?

I’ve got socks in progress for two different pairs at the moment. I want to knit a square or two for Laura’s Rebuilding Greensburg – Block by Block project. And I want to make some stuff for the Loopy Ewe Quarterly Challenge. After that, who knows? Maybe lace? I always like lace for summer.

And of course, more socks.

Lucy Sez

lucy051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

“This is a nice blanket, Momma!”

Comments

1. Yeah, Lucy would like it! Lots of dark colored squares for her to shed on.

The sweater looks great! Nice work.

2. WOW!!! i did not think i would like it quite as much as i do. It’s BEAUTIFUL!!!!! and the colors totally suit you!! BRAVO!! you must be so proud!!

3. Wendy, the sweater came out quite beautifully. Much nicer than I thought possible. I think it has to do with the well thought out color theme. I have just completed a log cabin afghan using leftover and not so leftover sock yarn. Your mitering inspired me to dig out Cottage Creations Rambling Rows Afghan pattern for my next leftover sock yarn project. This consists of large squares, rectangles and small square miters. Again I can see myself going into *virgin* balls of sock yarn, but it is addictive. My bad boys Billy and Neil send love to Lucy.

4. Woohoo! Looks awesome. Nothing like a clown.

5. Angeluna says:

Beyond fabulous!!!! Wendy, you plotted this one out so well. It is very flattering on you. Just absolutely love it. As does Mademoiselle Lucy, I see.

6. I will join the general chorus of acclamation! IT LOOKS AWESOME — on and off! Each little mitred square a tiny work of art. (And I’m glad Lucy gives it her stamp of approval also!)

7. Sweater looks great!

8. It looks great, Wendy! Maybe about 800 yards of the leftovers could be a blanket for Lucy and 3200 yards could make 8 pair of socks… Ya never know! LOL

9. Wow! It looks fab! Something I could never make or pull off, but you rock it. I am amused by Lucy on it. My girls can’t keep their paws off my handknits either.

10. wow. That’s beautiful!! I was having trouble picturing the sleeves but it all came together great! (and not at all clown-ish)

11. I agree with everyone … It is beautiful.
    Great job!!!

12. I really like it! I was a bit skeptical as it is not my ‘style’, so to speak. But after following this all the way I admit it turned out beautifully!

13. Great sweater! The dark brown border really finishes it nicely. As you have shown, this is a good way to get a full sweater done without getting bored. Always a problem when there are so many other things to knit!

What lace items do you have in mind for the summer? I have a hard time choosing from my long list of things I want to knit.

14. I’m not adding anything new when I say that that turned out to be absolutely beautiful. The colours and the squares make me think of aerial views of pastures and fields.

15. I think Lucy has the right idea, it does indeed look like a blanket, or a lovely quilt. Really that’s meant to be a compliment. It’s quite cool! I never thought I’d actually like it when it was done, not that that would matter anyway because well I don’t have to like it, only you do, but oh well I’m rambling.

Great sweater!

16. clap clap clap, what a beauty. now i just want to go buy some sock yarn for my own little miter-sweater(copy cat). Are the left over going to be for the infamous logcabin blanket?

17. clap clap clap, what a beauty. now i just want to go buy some sock yarn for my own little miter-sweater(copy cat). Are the leftovers going to be for the infamous logcabin blanket?

18. clap clap clap, what a beauty. now i just want to go buy some sock yarn for my own little miter-sweater(copy cat). Are the leftovers going to be for the infamous logcabin blanket?

19. Gorgeous sweater!

20. That is beautiful! You must have unlimited patience. : )

21. What a gorgeous sweater! It has a Far East feeling to it (at least to me.) The colors all work together beautifully.

22. Wow! I must confess I was inclining for the “clown outfit pronostic” with this one. But boy was I wrong! It turned out so pretty and looks awfully comfortable. It looks like the perfect thing to slip on for a romantic dinner in front of the fireplace… I agree that the brown border was a perfect final touch !!!

Congratulations Wendy, only you could have pull this one off.

23. Will I be punished when I tell, that I do not like the sweater? I apprecciate all the work in it and how the colours work together, although I do not like them for myself, but the whole thing reminds me more on a blanket :) but sometimes everybody might need a blanket to wear for, you know, those days.
    But Hurray for sinishing a sweater and the sweet as always cat.

Best Wishes
    Sibylle

24. FANTASTIC!

25. Nancy J says:

Love the shot of Lucy inspecting your sweater — sweater matches Lucy — “Lucy on Grass” is what comes to mind…

26. What a gorgeous sweater!! You did (as always) a great job!!

27. It turned out really lovely. I’m glad Lucy approves.

28. I really like that sweater. I didn’t think I would, and I didn’t want to, but I do. It looks like the sort of thing I’d put on when I wanted to be comfortable, but not tshirt/sweatshirty. I love the fit of it, and the quilt-like quality.

29. It turned out really lovely. I’m glad Lucy approves.

30. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Congratulations, Wendy! That sweater is quite an accomplishment. It looks wonderful!

31. It looks stunning Wendy and seems to be a perfect fit. I’m glad that Lucy likes it too – wouldn’t do to have her snubbing you because of a sweater. lol

32. I love it!

33. The sweater looks great with your hair, Wendy.

34. The sweater looks great with your hair, Wendy.

35. I love how that sweater looks! And when you’re wearing it, it looks less like it’s a Magic Eye picture in disguise. :p

Lace is always good for the summer. And I always love seeing the lace projects you do. They’re my favourites! (Of course, I still like seeing all the non-lace items you knit, too.)

36. It is loverly, Wendy!

I agree that it looks like a patchwork/crazy quilt. I remember watching 7 Brides for 7 Brothers (the movie) and watching the scene where Millie is wearing a skirt made from an old quilt. I remember thinking that it looked really cool.

Hmmm, I think you’ve inspired me to try something similar, but on a smaller scale. Maybe a great cardi for my 4 year-old daughter done in pinks, greens and yellows. I must go ponder….

::gives Lucy an affectionate scratch behind the ears before heading off to the stash closet::

37. Wow!!!

38. Wow!!!

39. Excellent knitting. :) I appreciate projects like this, I don’t have the attention span for it.

40. Excellent knitting. :) I appreciate projects like this, I don’t have the attention span for it.

41. It is loverly, Wendy!

I agree that it looks like a patchwork/crazy quilt. It makes me think of comfort, love and home.

Hmm, I think you’ve inspired me to make one but on a smaller scale for my 4 year-old daughter. A cardi in pinks, greens and yellows, I think. I must go ponder….

::gives Lucy an affectionate scratch behind the ears, then heads off to the stash closet::

42. I am officially amazed and impressed – the sweater turned out to be so beautiful – I was really having a hard time picturing the final version in my head. Congratulations!

(You might have to make Lucy a mitered mouse or something, she seems to really like the sweater …)

43. Hmm, someday maybe all my leftover sock yarn bits will grow up to become a mitered square blanket – they combine so well!

44. Wendy, you’ve out done yourself … the sweater is amazing.

45. Wendy- Another fine job. I bet it was alot of fun putting the colors together.

I have to say, I wasn’t enamored when it was under construction, but I really like it now.

I should have more faith-((hanging head in shame))

46. Wendy- Another fine job. I bet it was alot of fun putting the colors together.

I should have more faith-((hanging head in shame))

47. Wendy- Another fine job. I bet it was alot of fun putting the colors together.

I should have more faith-((hanging head in shame))

48. It reminds me of a jacket that I would wear over a gold sweater with black pants and black ballet flats and feel oh-so-dressy in!

Loverly!!!

49. I’m sorry, I am another one who couldn’t imagine what it would look like – and how beautiful it would turn out! Incredible and inspiring.

50. Cathy Johnson says:

I am in awe of your talent. The sweater is stunning. You are an inspiration!

51. Cathy Johnson says:

I am in awe of your talent. The sweater is stunning. You are an inspiration!

52. Cathy Johnson says:

I am in awe of your talent. The sweater is stunning. You are an inspiration!

53. It’s beautiful! I can’t believe you are already finished….

54. Wendy’s Sweater of Many Colors! It’s an amazing piece of knitting. Enjoy!

55. Wendy’s Sweater of Many Colors! It’s an amazing piece of knitting. Enjoy!

56. The sweater looks amazing!

57. That is S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G. — seen bit by bit in the in-progress shots, it was very pretty, but the finished product is amazing. There’s a reason you’re a knitting celeb!!

58. It’s absolutely lovely Wendy. And the Lucy Seal of Approval!!

59. The sweater is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I’m so jealous!

I’ve been inspired and reading all of my (many) modular and mitering books and planning probably a sleeveless top first (hoping for a cardigan later).

Congratulations!

60. kelly in new mexico says:

I have been watching this sweater take form and thought that I wasn’t sure I liked. But WOW was I wrong. It is georgeos!! I really really like it.
    It drapes beautifully and the colors are so nice.
    Good job!!!

61. Melissa says:

Wow, wow, wow!!

62. Fantastic! Wow! Looks so great on you.

63. FABULOUS!!

64. FABULOUS!!

65. Wendy your mitered sweater turned out to be very pretty. It looks so comfortable and the colors definitely work for you. I’m sure you are ready to put away the miters for a while; but I will be interested in seeing how you make the mitered socks.

66. Wow! The Miter Sweater looks awesome! I didn’t expect it to look so nice but omg, it’s amazing!! Great Job!

67. Wow! The Miter Sweater looks awesome! I didn’t expect it to look so nice but omg, it’s amazing!! Great Job!

68. Ohhh – it’s gorgeous. You miter need to be careful when you wear it to work. If I worked across from you, I miter spend too much time contemplating your amazing sweater and I miter not be very productive at work. But maybe that’s a fellow knitter talking. The people you work with miter not have that problem. And obviously Lucy needs a miter blanket of her very own.

69. Your miter sweater is amazing!!! I so enjoyed watching it grow and now it is a sweater. It turned out beautifully, you must be so pleased with it. I am inspired!

70. Okay I have been really skeptical this whole time you have been knitting this sweater and I must say I LOVE IT. Seriously, I am so impressed with how well it turned out!! It looks great one you!

71. Okay I have been really skeptical this whole time you have been knitting this sweater and I must say I LOVE IT. Seriously, I am so impressed with how well it turned out!! It looks great one you!

72. Wow, what an accomplishment! You are so creative to come up with this. It looks fabulous.

73. Your sweater is amazingly interesting and beautiful. Congratulations!

74. Kyle K. says:

That is just beautiful! Great Job!

75. Kyle K. says:

That is just beautiful! Great Job!

76. Wendy I bet the miter sweater is so SNUGGLY!!! I love the way it looks so patchy! It’s so amazing how so many different colors look great together when you normally wouldn’t expect them to be so complimentary.

77. Amazing! Your color placement couldn’t have been better. The fit looks perfect, the drape is flattering. Wow! NICE. WORK.

78. Kyle K. says:

The sweater is just beautiful! Great Job!

79. What a work of art. It looks like Lucy is really appreciative of it too. :-)

80. Wow – that’s an accomplishment. You are so creative to come up with this – it looks fabulous!

81. Yes, the first words that came to mind “a work of art”!!!

82. Absolutely stunning!!!! I love it :-)

83. Kathlene in Iowa says:

Wendy, the miter sweater is truly a work of art. And with your hair, it is beautiful! Miter-on!

84. What a masterpiece! That goes for the sweater too, not just the cat! ;-)))) luv.m.

85. BEAUTIFUL!!! What an accomplishment…I’ve enjoyed the mitered journey.

“The long and mitered road….” :)

86. I WANT IT!!!!

It’s just lovely.

87. ditto for everyone else’s “Wow!” I had faith in you Wendy, and liked the in progress shots, but the total is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

88. Yet another reader chiming into say that I didn’t think I would like it…and I LOVE it.

89. Beautiful!

90. The mitered sweater came out beautiful. It almost has an oriental feel to it. It looks so nice on you.

91. Dear Wendy!

Your minter sweater is wonderful! I really love it!!!

Greetings from Germany!
    Theresia

92. Dear Wendy!

Your miter sweater is wonderful! I really love it!!!

Greetings from Germany!
    Theresia

93. WOW! I have been interested and intrigued all through the knitting of this sweater, however, unsure how much I would like the finished product (it’s just hard to see the actual sweater in your head when you’re not the one knitting it i guess) but now that I see it finished, sewn, and on you…I LOVE IT!! I always thought it would be cool and funky, but it’s also very pretty!

94. Wow congrats on finishing the sweater! It just sunk when I saw that you used 3mm needles. I knew it all along, but some how it didn’t click until now. I’m slogging through man’s sock hell on 3mm needles, and there you are whipping through 2000 yards of an entire sweater. I’m humbled, but have a renewed drive to make some progress.

95. Wendy, that is a true work of art! Amazingly beautiful!

96. It’s lovely and so unique! I think it will be a nice, cozy “go to” sweater for a long time, especially nice for indoors on chilly days without getting too hot!

Nicely done, Wendy!

97. Annalies says:

I am to late, but for your Dad,much more years, and the sweater is beautiful, i like it.
    greetings from the Netherlands.

98. It looks so good! I love it!
    It reminds me of something I cannot remember…but something good!

99. we like, we like very much!!!

100. Theresa in Italy says:

Wendy, that mitered sweater is awesome! (I knew it would be!) Just now at the supermarket I saw a cardigan that was made up of squares—not mitered squares, it was machine-knit—but only about half the squares had any color to them; all the rest were beige. Blah! Yours is SO much better. A work of art indeed. I think I must have one for myself. Wonder if I’ve got 2000 yds of sock yarn on hand? (Sheri, stop that laughing!)