Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

Well, for the Love of Miters!

(First off, thank you so much for all your wonderful birthday wishes for my dad. It quite overwhelmed him! He asked me to thank all my blog buddies — so I am doing so here!)

miter051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

Would you look at that? I actually finished it!

miter051507a Well, for the Love of Miters!

I knit the last sleeve edging and sewed the thing together yesterday after work. It is a miter accompli!

miter051507b Well, for the Love of Miters!

miter051507c Well, for the Love of Miters!

Some specifications:

This is knitted entirely from sock yarns on 3.0mm needles. The yarns I used were:

Koigu — P514
Fleece Artist — Bronze
Mountain Colors — Red Tail Hawk
Twisted — Ankh
Scarlet Fleece — Sand and Sea
Lavender Sheep — Cinder
Yarntini — 4-8-15-16-23-42

I started with approximately 100 grams of each of the above yarns. I weighed some of the skeins after finishing, and found that I have an average of 65 grams per skein left.

Each 100 grams of yarn averaged 380 yards, so I started with a total of about 6000 yards of yarn. I’m guessing that the sweater took around 2000 yards. I’m putting away the leftovers for now. I’ll figure out something to do with them (like a bunch of mitered socks!) but for now I’m having a little vacation from miters.

miteryarn051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

I documented how I did the shoulder seams and neckband elsewhere on this blog. I was planning on mattress-stitching the seams, but started it and didn’t like how it looked, so started over backstitching it. That worked very well.

It was quite easy to sew together, and I didn’t need any pins, because I just matched square to square and sewed them together.

So now I put the sweater away until next autumn/winter when it will (hopefully) be cold enough to wear it.

As happy as I am to have finished this, as I was knitting the last squares on Saturday night, I was feeling nostalgic pangs. “This will be the last square in this color. And this will be the last square in this color.”

Do I like it? Yes I do!

So . . . what’s next?

I’ve got socks in progress for two different pairs at the moment. I want to knit a square or two for Laura’s Rebuilding Greensburg – Block by Block project. And I want to make some stuff for the Loopy Ewe Quarterly Challenge. After that, who knows? Maybe lace? I always like lace for summer.

And of course, more socks.

Lucy Sez

lucy051507 Well, for the Love of Miters!

“This is a nice blanket, Momma!”

Comments

1. I was not sure about this mitered squares sweater concept, but yours turned out very nice and looks good on you.

2. Barbara-Kay says:

Well, it’s just lovely! As a seamstress as well as a knitter, the first thing that caught my eye is that the rows of miters on the sleeves line up with the rows of miters across the sweater – all the way down! Oh, well done!

3. It certainly turned out to be lovely – the brown is just the finishing and cohesive touch. Congrats on another beautiful creation.

Don’t let Lucy steal it!

4. What a great cat blanket. Oops, I mean sweater. Really, though it came out beautifully and it looks great on.

5. What a great cat blanket. Oops, I mean sweater. Really though, it came out beautifully and it looks great on you.

6. Lisa in Georgia says:

I have to admit, I was one of the doubters about this project. WOW! It turned out beautifully! I think you’re going to be mobbed by papparazzi when you venture out in it this fall.

Lisa in Georgia

7. Lisa in Georgia says:

Lisa in Georgia

8. Lucy, it is so sweet of your mama to knit a sweater as a blanket for you … and mitered no less. You are a pampered kitty.

๐Ÿ˜‰
    firefly

9. Lucy, it is so sweet of your mama to knit a sweater as a blanket for you … and mitered no less. You are a pampered kitty.

๐Ÿ˜‰
    firefly

10. Meribeth says:

That sweater is so darn cool! I liked it when you started and now I love it!! It looks woodsy, and light hearted and classy too. OK, now I ave to buy sock yarn to make this. Thanks Wendy for posting patten and helpful hints!

11. Meribeth says:

12. Wendy – it looks amazing, congratulations on a very nice sweater! I admit I probably wouldn’t have had the patience, but I so glad you did!

Any chance you’ll put out the pattern? Huh?!?

13. Fantastic! What an accomplishment! A work of art/love.

14. Your sweater is so beautiful and so beautiful on you. Many thanks for taking us, your loyal blog readers, along for the ride. Always a real pleasure. I can’t get over how beautiful your sweater is.

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Father – and many many more!

Love to Lucy!

15. Suzanne says:

Anyone who questions whether knitting can be considered art should take a look at your sweater. It is stunning!

16. A wonderful sweater, that fits you very well! I love the colors you have chosen. You have a good eye for that!

17. Well done Wendy!

I guess I need to learn to have a little faith. All the way through the knitting process I thought you had suffered what could crudely be referred to as a “brain fart”! Now it’s finished I eat my words (or thoughts). It looks great on and is sure to be an attention graber.

I am off to look at mitred sock patterns with renewed interest.

18. Oh it’s beautiful! I am a little sorry myself to see it end — it was such fun watching the progress, but it is such a lovely sweater!!!

19. Wow…simply stunning! ๐Ÿ™‚

20. The miter sweater looks great! I must admit I had my doubts as to how it would turn out (esp. the sleeves) but it looks amazing!

21. very bohemian!
    I didn’t think I’d like it…but I really do!
    It really came out wonderful!

All the colors complement very well.

22. Yay, what a great and fun sweater! Hurry up, autumn, so you can wear it.

Much empathy on the bittesweet-ness of finishing. I just finished the body of a bamboo lace shawl, and slowed down the last row, just because I knew I’d miss making those cherry leaves. I’m halfway done with the border, and hate turning the corner, because the end of such a fun project is in sight.

Luckily, the next project beckoning always helps with the twinges of sadness.

23. Wow, I honestly didn’t think it would turn out so lovely (not because of your knitting skills) but because I thought a mitered sweater wouldn’t look flattering – but it does.

Am I being too honest here? Sorry, but I’ve been waiting to see you finish it because I was curious and now that I see it, it is WONDERFUL.

24. Wow, I honestly didn’t think it would turn out so lovely (not because of your knitting skills) but because I thought a mitered sweater wouldn’t look flattering – but it does.

25. Wow, I honestly didn’t think it would turn out so lovely (not because of your knitting skills) but because I thought a mitered sweater wouldn’t look flattering – but it does.

26. Wow, I honestly didn’t think it would turn out so lovely (not because of your knitting skills) but because I thought a mitered sweater wouldn’t look flattering – but it does.

27. Wendy, the mitered sweater is absolutely stunning. I truly appreciate your “doing the math” for us, on quantities of wool required.
    I am determined to use the Persian wool I rescued from being dumped in landfill, by those who do not appreciate beautiful wool.
    I was unclear as to whether I had enough. It is cut into 40″ lengths. 5 lengths make one square.Your info has now verified that I will be O.K.
    Thank you.

28. Bravo on such a wonderful finish! It turned out spectacular.

29. Wow!! Your mitered sweater is absolutely beautiful. Love the colors. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t wait to see what you come up with next. P.S. Love your book. Kristi

30. Your mitered sweater is absolutely beautiful! Love the colors. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next. ๐Ÿ™‚

ps: Love your book.

Kristi

31. Marianne Y says:

Wendy, your mitered sweater is awesome! I love your design, the way your matched up the rows of squares, your brown knit edgings, etc. It is a true work of art! It had not occurred to me before, but it does look like farm fields and pastures do when you are flying over them in a jet, first mentioned by Kirstie; that’s really cool! I am really inspired by your creativity!

Also, thank you for giving us ideas for using sock yarn in different ways, other than knitting socks!

I love the picture of Lucy curled up on your sweater! Maybe you could use some of your leftover yarn to make her a blanket, similar to your sweater?

32. Lovely job! The colors remind me of stained glass.

33. Niiiice! That’s a great sweater.

34. Wendy, that came out incredible! That is one of the most successful miter-sweaters I’ve ever seen. Like you said a while ago, these sweaters have the ability to turn into clown-suits too easily, but yours settles in at colorful and artsy without crossing that line. I hope you enjoy wearing it next winter!

35. Wow! That is gorgeous!

36. francois says:

Still looks like a jester’s outfit to me – but an incredibly well-dressed jester. Well done for following your dream.

37. Josรฉe says:

Beautiful sweater! I love the colors and it looks very good on you indeed. Lovely!

38. Absolutely gorgeous! I wasn’t 100% sold on this as you were working on it, but I think it’s really really special now that it’s done.
    (And I’m not surprised Lucy has appropriated it for herself, either!)
    (((hugs)))

39. I absolutely love it! I knew it would look terrific and it really does :~)

40. VERY cool. Congratulations!! It kinda makes me want to tilt my head to the left. ๐Ÿ˜‰

41. This is stunning. For some reason I was thinking it was going to be a cardigan. I like it MUCH better as a sweater! It’s really just stunning. Like some of the others I wasn’t so sure about it. Seeing it completed just blows my mind.

42. I am not a fan of mitered square knitting. Especially the knitting of it. I couldn’t decide what I thought of your progress shots (loved the colours though). Well, i think the finished sweater looks GREAT!! What a wonderful surprise.

I’m looking forward to the chance of wathcing another summer of lace. Not that I mind watching any of your other knitting, I’m just a lace girl myself.

43. Your Mitered Sweater is gorgeous Wendy, glad it has Lucy’s approval as well

44. Another idea for the leftovers if you don’t want to do miters. Euny Jang’s entrelac socks from Interweave(spring 2007?). They are toe up with a short row heel so would work well with your usual sock tendencies.

45. Mighty Mitres Magnificently Mastered, Madame!

46. It’s done, it’s done, it’s done! ๐Ÿ™‚ And it’s one of a kind. No one else will ever have a sweater exactly like it. Doesn’t that make it Art? ๐Ÿ™‚

47. nice going on the miter sweater! it looks really nice on you! but better underneath Lucy i think! heehee! that was just for her benefit though…
    anyway, congrats on Lucy’s adoption bday (the other day)–it’s always nice to think back on the day you first brought that furry baby home and welcomed them into your heart…:o) i’m going to snuggle extra long with my furry doggie at home tonight.

48. Your sweater turned out incredibly cool! Wonderful job!

49. I really hope you’ll post a pattern, or at least a sleeve tutorial, because I know there’s those two non-mitre shape pieces and I want to know how that works.

Because I just might knit a mitred sweater myself!

50. I really hope you’ll post a pattern, or at least a sleeve tutorial, because I know there’s those two non-mitre shape pieces and I want to know how that works.

Because I just might knit a mitred sweater myself!

51. Gorgeous Mitered sweater.
    Sandra

52. Michelle in SE AZ says:

I can’t fathom the number of tails you had to work in for that sweater!

Um, this is a bit late, but does Tamara still need dusk Gloss in dyelot 4547, ’cause I have about 20g left that I’d be happy to send her.

53. Smashing, absolutely smashing.

54. That’s amazing. It looks a little hippie. Just a little. Peace, man.

55. At first I will admit I didn’t like the sweater but now that I see it finished, I like it alot. I guess it is one of those things where you aren’t sure until it is done. Great work again Wendy.

56. Aw, she makes a great sweater model.
    Beautiful sweater. Those colors all work so well together.

57. wow and double wow.
    looks awesome!

58. Wendy, that looks fabulous. So pleased to see Lucy is enjoying it too!

59. I. LOVE. IT. I totally want one now. I wish I were not so completely stupid when it came to arts and crafts…my brain sees what I want to happen, but my fingers don’t cooperate.

Anyway, it’s beautiful, your other projects are cool too, and your kitty is adorable. ๐Ÿ™‚

PS – Found you through Andria & Haloaskew.

60. I really love the way the sweater came out, its really nicely done. I enjoyed watching the process of it coming into being, love the choice of colors and best of all, it looks wonderful on you. One more thing to add to my growing pile of “must knits”!

61. Wowie zowie–that sweater is stunning!

62. Gorgeous! And what a nice drape to it.

63. So I have been reading your blog for a couple months now and kept thinking that there was no way that silly miter jacket was going to look good AT ALL! Well, boy was I wrong. It looks fabulous!! I’m so sorry I doubted you or thought that quite possibly you had the worst fashion sense of anyone I know. Don’t worry…I’ll tell Clinton and Stacy of What Not to Wear to cancel the trip. ๐Ÿ™‚