1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Hey you guys, thanks for all the wonderful comments and emails about the new blog. I can’t tell you how pleased it made me that mere seconds after Daisy activated it, we had a couple of comments. It gives a girl a warm fuzzy feeling, you know?

I was surprised by how much I missed your comments during the brief period of time between blogs. I felt so . . . isolated! So I’m happy to be back.

We’re still tweaking here and there, so pardon our dust. And I’m still finding my way around WordPress. But so far I think it is, to coin a phrase from a former coworker, slicker than snot on a doorknob.

One tweak we did accomplish was a work-around to the problem of readers who cannot view Flickr photos not seeing the photos in the blog. Daisy suggested I upload a small version of the photos to the server and put a link to each below the Flickr photo. So, if you cannot see the photo on the blog page, click the link, and you can view the small version on the WendyKnits server. This will save me a lot of bandwidth costs, as I think most of you can see the Flickr photos, right?

Speaking of Flickr, I did move the kittybed gallery there completely. As the gallery existed, it was getting totally impossible for me to manage. The new Flickr kitty bed gallery is here. It’s linked to from the sidebar as well.

Most of the photos there are small – 300 pixels wide – but all new photos I get I will upload at their original size.

On all of the existing photos (apart from the last one, which I received on Monday), I’m afraid the text is missing. I simply do not have the time to load the description for each of 225 photos from my old gallery pages to the new Flickr set. But as I get new photos for the Gallery, I will add the comments that the sender-inner has sent with the photos.

On to the Knitting!

I finished my Summerfield socks.

511282602 fafb26c407 m Thank You

Can’t see my photo? Click the link here: Summerfield Socks

These are the May offering from The Loopy Ewe Sock Club. It’s a Wildhorse Farm Design pattern and the yarn is a merino/bamboo/nylon mix from All Things Heather, in the “Skinny Dipping” colorway. Maverick that I am, I did my socks toe-up.

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I simply used the same gusset and slip stitch heel that was part of the Grasshopper sock pattern and put that on the Summerfield socks. As I also mentioned, I believe this is the same method that is used in the Widdershins sock pattern from Knitty.

So the other night I figured it was time to get started on a new sock. I dug out some Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in the “Camouflage” colorway (purchased from The Loopy Ewe, of course). I wound one skein into a ball Monday night.

I started the sock:

511282284 2e65419d8c m Thank You

Can’t see my photo? Click the link here: Camo Sock

After I went to bed, Lucy brought me the ball band from that skein and laid it on my pillow. She brings me a “gift” like that every night. (Say it with me: “Awwwwwwwww!”)

When I got up Tuesday morning, I saw this:

511307493 3a06c54445 m Thank You

Can’t see my photo? Click the link here: Sock Yarn

Yes, that would be the second skein of the Camouflage yarn, sitting next to Lucy’s food dishes.

I’m wondering — is she planning on taking up sock knitting?

Lucy Sez

511282352 81d1138f73 m Thank You

Can’t see my photo? Click the link here: Lucy

“Who, me?”

Comments

1. That is too funny. Looks like she had been planning on taking it with her everywhere, but got distracted by food…

2. Lucy appears to be working on some sort of real life-still life art. Notice how her body in the photo is arched gracefully? Same arch can be seen in the hank of sock yarn next to the bowl. I would call the art “Life of a cat” or “Cat in sheep’s clothing.”

Okay. I have been working too long.

3. Aw, that is sweet. Maybe she was seeing how camoflaged it really was and if you’d be able to find it again?

Like the new blog!

4. Maybe she wants you to knit her something out of Camouflage so she can hide in it?? Don’t tell her she’d be better off hiding on the Lucy colorway stole!

5. Shirley, in PA says:

Like the new blog – it has a really clean look to it. And I love the photos on Flickr – I click and they are large enough to really see details – sorta like HD tv.

6. Tigger's Mom says:

Maybe the hank of yarn was hungry? Don’t tell Lucy that having no thumbs is going to make it tough to learn to knit.

Love the new blog!

7. Love the socks!

Oh, if Lucy takes up sock knitting, Barkley is going to swoon worse than ever! : )

And, no probs seeing Flickr photos here. I didn’t realize some had problems seeing Flickr photos. Hmmm….

8. Ahh, the benefits of having indoor pets. My dogs will take my stash outside, when they get the chance, where they “play” with it! The cats always “tell” on them by sitting next to the evidence!

9. Lucy’ beginning her own stash? Be afraid now. ;)

10. Haha!! I love her. (My own ragdoll liked to find and snuggle with my STR “Lucy” yarn. I think he knew it enhanced his own pretty-ness.)

11. She is much more gentle with the yarn than my cats. Mine like to unwind an entire skein through the house. You have Lucy well trained. Mine apparently need a little time at Kitty Reform School.

12. Wendy- At least she is showing her refinement, and taking whole skeins.
    It seems Lucy has a color preference?

13. Lucy, of course you can knit socks dear. Don’t listen if anyone suggests you need opposable thumbs… that what toes are for :) I have a friend who knits with her feet, it can be done!

14. If you’ve already moved the kitty bed gallery to flickr, have you considered setting up a group pool so that future entries can just be added by the knitters who knit them? You’d still have control over what gets posted [admin can delete any inappropriate photos from the pool] but it would save you from having to do all of the uploading work. Just a thought. Starting a group is easy, and you can just add all of the photos from your set to the pool once you get it started. Just a thought that might save you some time and energy.

15. Marianne Y says:

I love your new web site, Wendy! It is more “open & airy”, and the font is easier for some of us with aging eyes to read!

Oh my goodness, gracious, Lucy! I’m glad your mama is patient and doesn’t mind your getting into her yarn!

At least so far, I’ve been lucky that my 2 small dogs have not gotten into my yarn or needles, etc. (My Havanese male, Snow Bear will chew the low voltage cable of my laptop computer’s power adapter. Fortunately, it’s been the low voltage end, so that he hasn’t been hurt, but it gets expensive, replacing them. And, my Lhasa Apso female, Sunny, likes to strip artificial flowers off their stems, if she can find them; she thinks they make good toys.) :-)

16. I was gonna suggest that people could upload their own pictures themselves to a Flickr group you started but heh, someone beat me to that. You totally should do that! Much easier.

I heart Flickr!

How do you like Lorna’s Laces? I wish I could knit wool yarns with nylon content but no, I can’t.

I love the summerfield socks! And am much happier that the comments page is combined with the post when I’m typing up the comment… makes Benkei happier.

17. Just wanted to say congrats on the new blogware – it looks great! And everything looks to be working fantastically! I wish I could get my WordPress to behave -this- nicely (not that it isn’t nice, it’s just not this nice). :)

Also: Have you noticed any significant stash-reduction since you started your stash-knitting-only lifestyle? Or just a decrease in growth? (Questions coming from a fellow temporary non-stash-enhancer.)

18. My Simba cat makes that same noise when carrying his prizes to me. We refer to them as his “kills”. As is, did you kill that for me? It’s fun to see what’s waiting for us each morning, usually a hair ribbon or a sock or mitten. But never an entire skein of yarn! That Lucy, she’s something!

19. Michelle from Arizona says:

Just wanted to say congrats on the new blog structure. Personally I have no problems seeing any photos you post nor any problems with the sidebar links. Great job!

My kitties leave gifts for me too … usually their little toys. They never seem to touch my yarn though. Lucy has good taste is all I can say.

20. Angeluna says:

“slicker than snot on a doorknob?” Raises some pretty awful images! Must say, That Lucy is a pretty special girl. Awwwwwww!

21. Lucky covers his food with newspaper. Lucy tries it with a skein of camouflage yarn.
    Even our cats are competitive! ;-)

22. anne marie in philly says:

the new blog is S-W-E-E-T!

the typeface is very readable.

steven and meredith want to know if that yarn was about to attack you. if so, lucy “killed” it for you.

what a good girl!

23. Some of my cats have taken to small cat toys or stuffed toys and deposit them in or next to their food dishes. I think they are “children” and are trying to feed them. :D

24. I like the new blog face. The larger font is especially nice for a person putting off the reading glasses phase as long as she can. BTW, I’m using a Mac.

Lately, I’ve been finding toy mice in the food dish in the morning. I wonder if the kitties are bringing their buddies over for a snack? Lucy is such a cutie.

25. Now it’s going to be “Wendy and Lucy Knit”?!

26. Laura in VA says:

Lucy’s so cute. So is the cat bowl with the black kitty.
    One of my cats will take a cat toy that’s attached to a string/rope and take it into another room. THen bring it back so we can play some more.

27. Well, if Lucy brings you some size 1′s next, you really know she’s planning to knit!

28. PICAdrienne says:

So, is Lucy knitting from her stash this year?

29. I’ve got that same yarn but haven’t started with it yet! It looks really nice! I bought it at the same time I bought the “rainbow” yarn. Quite a contrast!

30. I find it hilarious that my own camoflauge sock, knit with LL fingering, with your toe-up pattern, is almost exactly the same size as the sock in your picture! How cooky! My sock is striping differently, though; I have a different amount of stitches, I think. We’re sock twins :)

31. I love the new blog look! And the camo sock yarn. Have you seen Lorna’s “Girl Camo”? It’s actually called “Vera,” but it’s half camo and half Barney purple. Gotta love it.

32. If I’m not careful, I often wake to the sight of my yarn on the kitchen floor. I think Quincy is also hinting for some knitting lessons.

33. awww! i made camo socks last year from the same yarn and they truly came out camoflauge, blotches and all. congrats on moving your site!

34. Dorothy says:

I love your new blog!! I also had the most fun looking at the kitty bed gallery!! I must get busy and finished mine. I need to make 5!! Give lucy a special hug!!

35. it’s all part of her plan for world domination!

36. Awwwwwwww!

I’m a little glad she didn’t dunk the skein in her water bowl, though.

I expect she will be bringing you the dps next! “Teach me, Momma!”

37. Wendy, you’re lucky Lucy just leaves ithe yarn next to her food bowl. If that we’re my kitty you would find it soaking in her water bowl.

38. You better check Lucy for concealed weapons – it looks like she’s preparing for battle.

39. I’m sure Lucy was thinking that Camo yarn looked good enough to eat! Maybe she was saving it for dessert? Needs a little fiber in her diet? Hmmmm…..

LOVE the new blog look! Great ambiance Wendy. :)

40. Awwwwww!

Nice new blog.

So is it that she wants to be like Mama and pay attention to this yarn stuff or is it that she thinks if she has the yarn stuff she’ll get more attention? Or is it, like it probably would be with my dog, “I know how to get Mama over near the food dish so she’ll feed me…”

41. That just means it is gooood yarn.. round here the cats only go for the good stuff!

42. Love the new the blog, it looks great! My kitty Bear loves to carry yarn around. His favorite place to take it is into the bathtub. He loves to play there. It’s like his own personal skate park.

43. Like the new blog ; so glad you thought about those of us who can’t access flickr. I would have missed pictures of Lucy in particular!

44. I might consider a cat that can knit. What a clever kitty. Ms. Gracee would just use it as doggie dental floss. Speaking from experience,
    Li

45. Man, that Lucy is a smart kitty! Maybe her feet are cold and she finally wants some socks of her own?

46. I can’t believe your new sock comes from the skein you showed us! The colors in the skein are so dark, and the sock looks totally different!

47. Meribeth says:

The Camo socks are gorgeous!
    And Lucy is so sweet! Boy, cats really know how to press our buttons, don’t they?

48. Your socks look gorgeous on the sock blockers but, other than for photos, are they a good purchase? I’m a fairly new sock knitter and never tried them. I’m doing my first lace socks and wonder if I should get some blockers.

49. Hi Wendy!
    Love those Summerfield Socks! And that Lucy, she’s a riot!

50. She may be telling you that it has been way to long since you made something for her. Maybe she wants something done in the camo. Like a mouse out of the leftovers.

51. So cute! All my cats leave on my pillow at night are themselves, usually by jumping up onto the bed while my head is already on the pillow. One in particular will do that so he can walk around our heads to lay at our feet. I’ve no idea why he doesn’t just lie at the bottom of the bed in the first place. :p

52. Wendy, First of all, I love the look of the new blog. Daisy did a fantastic job. My favorite is the larger print—-I can actually see the letters ;) What a gorgeous pair of socks that you just finished. The beautiful colors just fit that pattern.

53. Maybe Lucy is having a craving for lamb since she likes the wool. Since the pattern is camo, is she making a comment, “Make me Dinner not War”?

54. Love the look of the new blog and always enjoy the antics of Lucy. My 16 lb male (named “Moo” at Pet Refuge) also loves the lables and will go into my knitting room to get them when I don’t have any handy. He only touches the yarn if he is angry at me and then he takes only a full skein and puts it in a prominent place so that I know I have been told that I’m bad.
    Are you going to use Poor Lucy as an excuse for yarn purchases? Such as, Lucy really is planning to make a sweater out of cashmere for herself??

55. I’m really liking the new blog – and the new feed settings! I can now read your entries in my bloglines, and that’s just so much easier and more enjoyable. Oh, and I have no problems at all seeing your Flickr pics.

My cat, Sebastian, is overall pretty good about my yarn. He only chews on it when he’s decided that I’ve spent enough time not paying any attention to him, at which point I find the yarn I’m pulling from the basket ends abruptly in a chewy, wet mess.

56. “gifting” behavior in cats, or so we are told, is part of the hunting/training instinct

Lucy, being the intelligent cat she is, obviously recognizes that the appropriate prey for you is something knitting related; she was probably brushing up on her own skills with the skein.

57. Delurking to say a couplea things- first, LOVE the photo of Lucy’s little stash. My cat does the same thing (but with tampons. Not so cute when you have guests…) Second, thanks sooo much for the Flickr work-around– my work firewalls it and I don’t know what I’d do without my daily dose of Wendy. I always check out your blog to start my day, so thanks for the popups. Cool new look! Finally, sorry I’ve lurked for so long (like 1 1/2 years, at least), but add my voice to the chorus of Wendy admirers. (Wendites?) Thanks a bunch!

58. Lucy is simply trying to hide her food bowls from anyone else in the house who might be “interested.”

She is just wondering why it took so long for you to get some “camoflage” colored yarn…

59. Awww! Jeremiah likes to bring twist-ties and other toys to bed for us to protect for him. I’m just glad he and the girls don’t bring us the bugs they like to catch…

60. Wendy, thanks for considering everyone. I can see the Flickr photos (not blocked at work yet) in the post, but also appreciate that they are included there instead of having to click on them to see them. Some others’ blogs that I read don’t include them and then I must really be interested to do the extra clicking. Wow! “Extra clicking!” How lazy have I become! Anyway, I am also pleased to know that if Flickr is ever blocked, I still would be able to enjoy your pics. Along with the content, they really make your blog enjoyable. Who can resist a cute Lucy photo! Gets me every time!

61. That is too cute. How sweet that she brings you a little present each night. I love the yarn next to the food bowl. You’re lucky. My cats usually put their “toys” in the dishes. One is usually sure to put it in the water dish too. Silly creatures.

62. Carol Lee says:

Wendy, new blog design is a winner! The new font is great – much easier to read. I’m in a knitting slump right now, so I’m hoping for some inspiration – maybe your new lace project will do it!
    Carol

63. RE: Lucy’s gifts – Like others’ comments, I agree that the bed gifts are ‘kills’ very thoughtfully executed and brought to you because she knows you like yarn things. And the full skein next to the food/water is her way of ‘training’ her own child/pet where the necessary things of life are. My cats do the same constantly. I’d always wondered about why some toys are dunked in the food and water, and a bit of searching online showed the reason. I love seeing this insight into our felines — they’re quite complex, aren’t they?!

64. Theresa in Italy says:

Slicker than snot on a doorknob? Sounds like my Newfoundland has been there….

65. Really like the new format!

66. I see Lucy found some yarn she likes. I have to be very careful with my yarn because my 5 cats love it all. I have to tuck away my project in a bag when I am not working on it and I have to lock up my yarn stash so they don’t get their little paws on it. I am happy to see that Lucy is joining in with the fun you have with yarn.

67. It is very sweet that Lucy brings you stuff like that! Usually my kitties (especially the youngest) will just carry the actual yarn around the house with them if I don’t hide it away. Learned that lesson the hard way!

68. Oh she is an ANGEL!!! Seriously the sweetest thing EVER!!1

69. woo hoo for embracing the flickr!

70. Stephanie says:

Wendy, I read tons of knitting blogs and it always amazes me how MANY comments you get on yours. It is just a reflection of how enjoyable your blog is. Thanks for the interesting reading.

71. You’re lucky Lucy didn’t decide to give that nice hank of yarn a drink, as my Smokey used to do with her toy mice.

BTW, luv your new digs!

Lynne in Potomac

72. Wendy – it’s all your fault!! First I see that link to the summer of sock group, then I set up a blog (but too late to join the SOS group). It’s not much but hey! it’s a start, right?? http://www.runningthegardenfence.blogger.com Come see me.

Carol

Trackbacks

1. [...] Lesley is being a fangirl. (Twice.) Tiennie does more socks, and Amanda is organizing. Imbrium plays with baby sweater origami, FyberDuck made an uber-cool Pirates hat (for POTC 3 which is released THIS WEEKEND! YAY!), and Wendy has successfully moved to WordPress. [...]