1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

While Visions of Sock-Knitting Danced in Her Head

My name is Wendy and it has been 7 days since I have done any sock-knitting.

Who knew I’d suffer such withdrawal symptoms from sock knitting?

Fortunately, the Summer of Socks starts tomorrow. According to the rules, any sock knitting that is included in the Summer of Socks must be commenced after 5:00am tomorrow. I get to the train station at 5:10am, so I’m covered. icon wink While Visions of Sock Knitting Danced in Her Head I’ll wind my yarn before I leave home in the morning — I think that’s allowed.

For the past week I’ve been fondling my sock yarn, deciding what to use for my first socks out of the starting gate. On Monday I showed Rossana my “overflow” sock yarn stash. (Don’t ask.) We happily sat on the floor of my living room, surrounded by cheerful skeins of sock yarn, while Lucy looked on and no doubt thought we were nuts.

Here’s my plan:

Tomorrow I will start two socks — an “easy” sock for commuter knitting, and a “hard” sock for at-home knitting. They will both be toe-up socks, and they will both be new designs that I have worked up during my week-long sock knitting hiatus. I’m very excited. icon biggrin While Visions of Sock Knitting Danced in Her Head

I have all sorts of sockie hijinks planned. Things to astound and amaze you! Things to terrify you and make you gasp!

(Things to make you think: “Okay, she has finally snapped if she thinks this is astounding/amazing/terrifying/gasp-worthy.)

But let’s have a little fun. In the comments the other day, someone suggested that I hold a contest for people to guess how many pairs of socks I will knit during the Summer of Socks. I thought that sounded like fun, so a contest we shall have.

How Many Pairs of Socks Will Wendy Knit During the Summer of Socks?

Some info that might help you pick a number:

• The Summer of Socks runs from June 21, 2007 at 5:00am until September 21, 2007, 10:00pm.
  • My intent at the start of the project is to knit only socks during this period.
  • I reserve the right to change my mind about knitting only socks and throw in another project here and there to spice things up and to keep you guessing.
  • I am not planning on pulling all-nighters knitting socks. I’m not going for speed here. I will just churn out socks at my usual sedate ladylike pace.

Some rules:

• Only one guess per person
  • That guess must be made by noon, Eastern Time this Sunday, June 24, 2007 to be entered in the contest.
  • All guesses must be sent via email to blogcontestATcomcastDOTnet before noon Eastern time on Sunday June 24, 2007.
  • Put your guess (in numerals) and nothing else in the subject line of your email. Emails that do not have a subject line that contains just the number will be disqualified.

Why so strict? Why so picky? I usually get lots of entries for these contests and I need to be able to search the subject line field so I can determine the winner(s) without having to open every email.
The person who guess the exact number of pairs of socks (not individual socks) I knit, or comes closest, will win fabulous prizes. Said fabulous prizes will most likely consist of yummy sock yarn and pattern. If more than one person guess the magic number, more than one person will win.

You can see that Lucy is pretty jazzed about this.

577317905 369282896b m While Visions of Sock Knitting Danced in Her Head

Lucy062007a

Okay. Tonight I’ll be knitting on the silk scarf. See you tomorrow!

577319567 6c119c32d7 m While Visions of Sock Knitting Danced in Her Head

Scarf 062007

Lucy Sez

577316647 8bb99aac13 m While Visions of Sock Knitting Danced in Her Head

Lucy062007

“I have tassels between my widdle toes!”

Comments

1. Aw, Lucy, you are just too much! (and your Momma too!)

Hey, I’m way excited to see the earth-shattering sock design secrets revealed, so that makes me a sock geek too! The knitting world will be rocked on its foundations — no doubt!

I am worried about your withdrawal, but fortunately at 0500 tomorrow all will be well. It’s been so WEIRD reading your blog without sock pictures/updates/even the knowledge that there was a sock lurking in the background. I’m glad normalcy will be restored to these pages. . . .

2. “…sedate, lady-like pace”! Ha! I think you’re probably the fastest knitter i kind-of know!!! I need to do some calculating before I send my contest entry….

3. Catherine says:

Cool contest. It certainly sounds like the Summer of Sock.

4. Oh,Lucy, could you possibly be related to my border collie?
    Her vet calls her fringed paws bedroom slippers!

5. I’m already astounded, amazed, terrified, and gasping! (But maybe that’s due to the cute Lucy paws, too!)

6. Wendy- A little song:

She’s got rings on her fingers,
    and fluff on her toes-
    Has anybody seen my-
    Sweet Lucy Rose.

7. You’re not the only one who’s been suffering withdrawal. I didn’t realize how much I depended on my socks for restoring calm in my life. I am also planning on starting two socks tomorrow an easy one and a more difficult one. You never know where your knitting will take you.

8. Aaawww, kitty paws! How cute.

Have fun with the Summer of Socks! I know I will.

9. Lucy is so excited about the beginning of “Summer of Socks” she’s got all paws up!

I’ll be amazed if you only knit socks for 3 months. Since I know what your “sedate, lady like pace” is, I’ll make sure my guess is really high!

10. I got my STR shipment today, too!! Isn’t it GORGEOUS?????

11. I just guessed!! I already think my guess is a bit low, but I am figuring that there is no way you could manage to only knit socks for three months. Gotta be another lace shawl in there somewhere.

Can’t wait to see what you do!!!

12. Sedate pace…NEVER! I’m telling you there is a motor on your needles!!! I love the last photo of Lucy…such cute toes!

13. What a very kul idea! ;-)

Three months of socks, whoa, don’t OD !!

Love that scarf.. it looks like an ocean wave! Kiss those little kitty toesies of the lovely Lucy!

Ready? Set? You go girl ! Do the sock thing! luv.m.

14. Your excitement is catching. I’m tempted to try sock knitting one more time. (failed miserably 3 times!)
    When the contest entry date is past can you PLEASE let us know the smallest and largest numbers guessed? I am very curious to see the range. You seem like such a speedy knitter. (I am a plodding knitter) I just took a wild guess based on imagining some beautiful shawl or sweater pattern or idea for one would lure you away for at least a part of the summer.
    Lucy really knows how to enjoy a nap!

15. PICAdrienne says:

93 days of just sock knitting…for you? Wow, that is going to be a lot of socks at your {snort} lady-like sock knitting space.

Lucy darlin’ I don’t think you need socks.

16. I applaud your willingness to stick to socks for an extended period of time! Does this have anything to do with the fact that sock yarn doesn’t count against the “knitting from your stash” guidelines?

Overflow sock stash? That’s pretty funny, too.

17. Thanks for the giggle, Lucy! You too, Wendy, with the “sedate, ladylike pace” of your socknitting – or any knitting!

whoops! I almost gave away the method I’ll be using to determine the number of pairs you’ll knit between tomorrow and my birthday (yep, September 21st). Off to do some research! Have a good evening :)

18. I too have suspended sock production for a while, waiting for the SOS to start. Making gauge swatches yesterday nearly made me swoon. I am setting my alarm for 1:45 am (pacific) so I will be awake at 2 when we start. I am with you in the “most socks” contest and I am ashamed to admit my goal is “beat Wendy”. I may need to revise that to “come in 2nd to Wendy and enjoy the journey”. Happy knitting!

19. Office smell update? (I don’t think that’s a safe situation.)

20. the new STR yarn screams SUMMER OF SOX to me- hope you start those tomorrow as I wont get to mine for a few weeks and would love to hear your impressions of the pattern. off to calculate sock propensity.

21. TOE-TUFTS! I loves TOE-TUFTS!!!
    (I miss BB’s toe-tufts!)
    (and I sees a fuzzy belly there, too)
    No kidding Lucy’s momma is a little nutty, but it’s okay – we LOVES her that way!
    The Meezer says *MEOW”
    (((hugs)))

22. I can just imagine you giggling away, lining up your yarn and needles like ducks in a row, ready to pick ‘em up & knock ‘em down! I will be living my sock life vicariously through you as I slog through my work knitting – so remember to have enough fun for 2!! LOL

23. I thought I’d check your archives to get an idea how long you take to knit socks and they don’t seem to work. Is it just my computer? I would get only three or four entries and that’s all. So most of the month’s posts are not there. So I was unable to “cheat” and find my answer in order to win that sock yarn (which I need like I need a hole in my head!).
    I’d be interested to know if the problem is on my end. Thanks.

24. On your mark, get set…have fun with SoS!

Lucy’s toe tufts make me wooble they’re so cute. And that furry belly. *wooble*

25. ‘sedate lady-like pace’? WHO are you kidding? You are a knitting fiend.
    I’m really looking forward to the new toe up patterns. I am working on my third pair of socks and I’m ready for a pattern. But I get disappointed when I look around for patterns for toe ups. It seems like they are mostly cuff down which means you have to do some figuring out to make it toe up.

26. Oh my, Lucy! Calm down, it’s ok. Everything will be fine. I have to go calculate first. Hope I don’t need to factor in OD & recuperation time! LOL

27. Steph B. says:

I lurv toe fluff! Definitely a perk of having indoor kitties! Silk shawl is looking pretty nice too.

28. Ohhhhhh I can’t wait to be amazed and scared. I would be amazed if I could ever do toe up socks that didn’t look like swiss cheese toes and heels. I have been practicing all week making small short row toes. Very sad. Of course they would be breezy to wear in the summertime :-}
    My plan for Summer of Socks was a toe up lace pattern. hahaha
    Is Lucy really in the ball of fluff?
    Sock withdrawal is painful and it makes you twitchy. People look at you funny.

29. I’m so excited. I’ve already emailed in my entry for the contest! :-D Go, Wendy, go!

30. You know what just occurred to me? You’re doing Knit from Your Stash with the exception of sock yarn . . . and then you’re knitting only socks! Way to get around the No New Yarn rule! =P :::ducking and running:::

31. Ahhh Lucy you are just too cute.

Have a good time knitting all those socks.

32. Ann Carpenter says:

Wuv the toe tufties! My Professor Peach has the cutest tufty toes but they are the color of clear peach jelly instead of chocolate candy. By the way, did you get your package from Rocking Sock Club today? I did and just couldn’t wait till tomorrow morning to start. I actually cast on tonight. The color is a fave of mine and I dearly love it. I’m not in the SOS cause I don’t have a blog–too scared. But I will be knitting along on more sockies. Hubby is getting bare feeties again. Says I must work harder for him. Hmmmm! Believe it or not we’ve been together for 40 years. Aren’t I long-suffering. Naw, he’s as near perfect as they come, bless his little heart. He actually has cutsey toes too.
    Ann Carpenter in Dallas

33. Lucy is too cute … ahhh, what a life!

This will be so interesting to see how many socks you do knit Wendy. That’s a loooong time to be knitting socks – best of luck.

Wonder if you’ll even want to look at another sock, let alone knit one, after 13 weeks!

34. Awww, kitty feet! Cheddar has those little tufts of hair, too, but we call them his “snowshoes.” Tassels are good too!

35. I’m going through sock withdrawal too. I’m in Europe and have been killing time for hours this morning… one more hour to go. Enough time to eat and settle in. :)

36. I’m sure you can knit heaps of socks. Love your Lucy photos. Great blog. I’m amazed at how much you knit.

Cheers

37. Arianne says:

My cat has toe tassles too!!!

38. Only socks, eh? OK. Must ponder this…

Oh Lucy, you’re so cute!

39. Yay! A contest! I love Lucy’s tassels :) Linus has them too and I sure wish he’d let me play with them. Them’s pampered feeties.

40. Theresa in Italy says:

Know what you mean about sock knitting withdrawal, I had to put mine down last week to work on a friend’s birthday present and I swear, it DOES make one twitch. I look forward to being astounded and amazed and terrorized—and I can gasp with the best of them—at your new sock wonders. As for “sedate, ladylike pace”—yeah, right. Go tickle them toe tassels.

41. LOL!!! I was reading your post on my way to the train this morning (as I usually do) and I just had to read it out loud to my boyfriend as he drove. We both laughed and laughed. It’s so nice to know that there are others out there with the same sickness that I have! ;) Hope you had a good cast on this morning. I’ll be sending in my contest guess soon. :)

42. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I’m so looking forward to the “sockie hijinks”!

Go, Wendy!

I actually didn’t join this KAL, I was too late, but it’s just as well. I have some tendonitis and–boo–can’t knit for awhile!

Such cute Lucy feet.

43. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I’m so looking forward to the “sockie hijinks”!

Go, Wendy!

I didn’t join this KAL, but it’s just as well. I have some tendonitis and–boo–I can’t knit for awhile. So I’ll have to enjoy the KAL vicariously!

Too sweet Lucy feet.

44. Michele with one "L" says:

Happy sock knitting.

45. I read your entry last night, and thought, “I know that I can figure out how many socks she can knit.” So, I got out my calculator, did some bistro math, and submitted a guess.

After some reflection I’ve decided, “That’s a lot of socks, even for Wendy.” So, I’ll watch with a heavy heart, knowing that I’m out of the running. Unless of course, I should have multiplied instead of added …

From now on, I’ll keep my number manipulation to Suduko.

PS. I’m also SOS’ing. See you in the funny papers!

46. 31

47. OMG! That last pix of Lucy with the toes up with a smiggin peek at her tummy – - to die for!!! HOW CUTE!

WendyT

P.S. Have fun with your socks girl!

48. My head is still spinning today as I re-live the “overflow” sock yarn stash experience of Monday! I’ve also spent quite a good chunk of time looking at the Bohus patterns (my tummy does flip-flops at their beauty!) after getting to see your latest Bohus in person. Have fun with the Summer of Socks. And Happy Summer!

49. I’m looking forward to following along the SOS, since I couldn’t officially join (I’m blogless Patti). Can’t wait to see the sock hijinks, I’m gasping in anticipation! I’ll submit my guess, and be sock knitting-along in spirit. Will we have pictures tomorrow of your first (and possibly) 2nd sock in progress? Huh Huh, pls pls pleeeeaaaassseeeee?????

50. Allyson says:

Tassles! Heehee

51. There is a wildflower called pussy’s toes, genus name Antennaria. I have long thought Antennaria would be a good name for a fuzzy gray kitty.

52. Wendy, I love your contests! fun times. By now you must have a sock half finished :).
    Lucy, you are adorable!

53. Knitting right along with you on Summer of Socks, but don’t think I could possibly limit myself to just socks, ONLY socks for the entire summer! Dear heaven, far too many other projects on the boil, in the brain, ready to go. And there is that stash to reduce, somehow, heaven knows how.

No intention of entering your competition – but will gladly snaffle your idea of a commuter pair of socks and a hard pair. Already started the hard pair – well they’re not so much hard as IMPOSSIBLE!

Jo