1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

The Best-Laid Schemes o’ Mice an ‘Men Gang Aft Agley

Ain’t that the truth?

How I Had the End of Last Week Planned:

Come home after working on my commuter sock as much as possible and knit like crazy on my at-home socks all weekend.

How the End of Last Week Played Out:

Yeah, that didn’t happen.

I had a bit of an accident Thursday caused in part by my back pain issues that rendered it extremely painful to knit for more than a few minutes at a time for a few days. Also to sit at the computer. Or pretty much do anything apart from standing up or lying flat on my back. Nothing serious, I think, but it has slowed me down nonetheless. Hopefully not for too long. I came home early from work on Thursday and I did not go to work on Friday, but I didn’t get too much knitting done on Friday either.

There were lots of questions in the comments to Thursday’s entry. Bear with me, I’ll get to them eventually. We do have a whole Summer of Socks, after all.

Thanks for all the contest entries. I am now no longer accepting new guesses, as y’all have new information on my sock knitting abilities. I will let you know the high and low guesses when I create the spreadsheet.

Today I’ve managed a bit more knitting. Well, here is the first commuter sock, near completion:

613559053 222efa76d5 m The Best Laid Schemes o Mice an Men Gang Aft Agley

Double Eyelet Sock 062407

I worked on it a bit at home as well.

As several of you commented, the double eyelet pattern is available in a number of stitch dictionaries. This sock pattern will be released as a freebie in the not too distant future.

I think the heel looks purty:

614320874 14f640fbf1 m The Best Laid Schemes o Mice an Men Gang Aft Agley

Double Eyelet Sock Heel 062407

And here is the first “at-home” sock, finished:

614334256 2b68db287a m The Best Laid Schemes o Mice an Men Gang Aft Agley

Pagoda Lace sock 062407

This is 100% merino sock yarn from The Knittery in the “Passionfruit” colorway — the yarn I won in the contest over at Black Dog Knits. The lace pattern is “pagoda lace” from one of the Barbara Walker treasuries. Knitted toe-up, of course, and on two circulars! The reason for two circulars is that the lace panel is centered over the instep of the sock — much easier to do it on one needle than on 2 dpns.

Here’s a closeup of the lace pattern:

614327888 8a5645ff19 m The Best Laid Schemes o Mice an Men Gang Aft Agley

Pagoda Lace Closeup 062407

Lucy Sez

613567843 8aca31c886 m The Best Laid Schemes o Mice an Men Gang Aft Agley

Lucy 062407

“Wake me up when it gets interesting.”

Comments

1. Hope your back is better! Been there…don’t want to go back! Great first socks!

2. The pagoda lace sock is beautiful.

Hope your back is feeling better soon and that you can knit comfortably again.

3. Marianne Y says:

I am so sorry to hear of your back problems, et al! I love your socks, especially the pattern on your commuter sock!

I’m trying to knit my second pair of socks in a month (but really in the last 3 decades). I’m trying an experiment, trying to put together multiple patterns [your #2 toe concept from your sport weight pattern, monkey sock lace pattern (but toe-up, so I'm trying to do it backwards} in my head, keeping track of the rows in my head], etc. I ripped out my first attempt because the sock was huge (I was using the #2 needles, called for in the monkey sock pattern with the sock yarn). I ripped my second attempt because I was too tired last night, & I lost my place trying to reverse pattern. So, I’m on my 3rd attempt now. I know that I should be able to do it, at least getting to the turning the heel & gusset part; it’s just getting my act together. :-) I’m using Lorna’s Lace sock yarn in Tickled Pink colorway. I love all of the pieces; now I just have to make them work together the way I want them to look. :-)

Please get some rest & feel better!

4. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I’m so sorry about your back! Hope you’re completely better very soon.

Both of the socks are beautiful. As always, I’m so impressed!

Lucy, your Momma’s blog is always interesting. And part of the reason for that is keeping up with you!

5. Wow, those are nice stitch patterns on your socks. I’ve got to get my sock act in gear and get socking… I’ve been seeing too many nice patterns out there – and available for free too.

Bummer about the back! :( Hope you’re up and around and feeling better soon!

6. A-Ha! I saw you originally typed “stranding up”! Perhaps deep down you would like to do a little stranding ;-) Rona? Oregon in the Autumn colourway?

Hope your back feels better soon!

7. “Baby’s Got (bad) Back”

8. Hope your back starts feeling better soon! I know how you feel, I’ve had lower back problems for a few years now.
    The socks are looking great! :)

9. the double eyelet sock is really pretty; i’m now eagerly awaiting the pattern. i hope your back gets better soon; i twisted mine a couple years ago and couldn’t move the day after.

10. I hope your back feels WAY better soon! Both of your socks are very pretty…

11. Oooh I like the Pagoda Lace Socks. A lot. I hope you get better soon. Being out of commission in such a manner is so frustrating.

12. So sorry to hear about your back. My husband has been having terrible back pain lately as well. I blame it on the computer chair. BTW, there is a really spectacular massage therapist at the yoga studio in Old Town, the one above Misha’s. She’s seriously a miracle worker. I hope you feel better soon!

13. Both socks are great – I really love the purply-blue of the commuter sock.

Hope your back feels better soon! Have Lucy give you a massage. :)

14. I am so sorry to hear about your back – if it’s not better soon, PLEASE see someone about it. If it’s something I know all too well about it’s that you should not let things with your back go if they don’t heal right away :(

Your socks are lovely, as usual! I must check out that silk/merino blend — NOW!

Feel better!

15. Elysbeth says:

Get well soon.

16. Jeepers! You still knit faster than most mortals when they’re healthy! Your newest socks are beautiful! Get well quick. Lucy, you be a good little kitty nurse for your Momma.

17. I hope you feel better, sweetie!!

18. I am so very sorry to hear of your back pain. My husband gets bouts of back pain too, usually when he has been standing/sitting in an unusual position (for an extended time) to paint or build a model airplane. It takes several days of complete bed rest, applied heat and drugs (i.e. Flexeril or Doan’s and/or Tylenol) before he’s back to normal. Back pain is the pits!:-(

On a happier note, the colorways of your socks are gorgeous. I have never knitted a sock and am envious of those who do. This “summer of socks” has inspired me and I’m determined to learn! Like some other WendyFans, I have tried and failed miserably. I suppose it’s a rite of passage! ;-)

Lucy, take good care of your momma! She doesn’t feel so well!! luv.m.

19. Yikes! Sorry about your back. Finished my first SoS sock this afternoon. We were having so much fun at The Yarn Lounge, talking and laughing, that it took me all afternoon to knit the toe (not like me).

20. Oooo! That double eyelet is attention grabbing, and I look forward to your pattern.

Feel better first!

21. I am so sorry about your back. I hope you are up and knitting full time again.

I love your newest sock. The color and the pattern are great.

Lucy is cute as usual. I wish my cat would pose like that.

22. Penny T says:

My back is having sympathy pains for yours; too bad I can’t do knitting to match your speed as well! Hope you recover soon.

Have you decided that you prefer the gusset heel to the short-row version? If so, why?

23. I love the double eyelet sock, both color and pattern, and the heel is indeed purty! I hope your back is healed soon. There is nothing worse than back pain.

24. I am very sorry to hear about your back and hope you are feeling better soon. That is no fun to be in so much pain you can’t knit! I am enjoying your variety of sock patterns. They look very nice going toe up and that heel is spectacular. This is going to be one fun Summer of Socks!

25. OH! OW! I’m so sorry….Hope that back is better asap. Nothing is worse than back pain.
    (LOVE those socks…both!)
    (((((gentle hugs)))))

26. what in KNIT’s name did you do to your back? GAWD – please get it better – there is nothing worse than back probs –

xx
    mhv

27. They are both so beautiful. I hope that you feel better soon.

28. Hi Wendy,

I am sorry to hear about your back, and I hope you feel better soon. I love your new socks. I think the pattern of the commuter sock is adorable, and the colors of the yarn you selected for it show the pattern beautifully.

Caroline, the SockPixie

29. Ouch, I hope your back is feeling better quickly.
    Are you finding the Knittery yarn a bit thicker then most fingering weight? I have tired 2.50mm and the stitches seem a bit congested.
    I was planning on using if for my Sockapalozza pal. But the gauge has me rethinking my sock plans. I have the merino, cashmere, nylon.
    Both patterns look perfect with the yarn color patterns.
    Lucy you are looking extra fluffy today

30. Hope your back is better! I am sure Lucy loved that you were hanging around this weekend. Some quality time with the kitty.

31. Bummer about your back! :(

32. Wendy,
    I’m sorry to hear you are having back pain. I hope you feel better soon. Your socks are gorgeous, by the way.

33. I hope tomorrow is a comfortable and pain-free day for you. Take it easy — and try sleeping at night with a pillow under your knees. It sounds crazy, but it helps.

34. Sorry to see you are having back problems. Hope you are feeling better soon. Your socks look great – I need to hit the stitch dictionaries more, obviously!

35. Your socks are just beautiful! The double eyelet is so creative, stitches are precise! Wow!

Back pain is tricky! My doc says to walk around every 20 minutes to relieve back pain. Us knitters do have a tendency to sit and concentrate what is on our needles, don’t we?

Just a good old fashioned walk is what does the trick for me – maybe for you????

36. Theresa in Italy says:

I am so sorry to hear about your back pain. Get well soon!

The heel on that sock does look purty. I’m glad you’re going to make that pattern available! Both socks look really nice; the lace patterns and the yarns complement each other so well.

Pity that Lucy doesn’t appreciate your genius, but I get that attitude all the time, too. Ignore them. Carry on.

37. Lisa in Georgia says:

Get well soon!

I love both colorways and the stitch patterns you’re using. It’s so amazing that even when you’re in pain you still accomplish more than us mere mortals!

Soft high-fives and air hugs coming your way.

38. I feel your pain. Literally. A week ago I was one of many sewing blankets together for the families of Va Tech victims. Back pain all week. Then Saturday I caught up on housework. Bad idea. I spent all day yesterday in my straightback rocking chair! The only chair comfortable to sit in. But I could knit a little. Hope you feel better today.

39. Sorry about your back. I hope you feel better soon. I really enjoy your blog.

The Robert Burns quote made my day. . . .

40. hope your back feels better soon!

41. I love the double eyelet socks!!!!!!
    And I love Lucy , of course!

42. Jocelyne says:

Re :
    You should take Harpagophytum for your back-ake. I also suffer from my back, and I often take that plant during a whole month; it’s natural, with no secundary effects, and it really works!

43. Michele in Maine says:

So sorry to hear about your back pain. I get so cranky when my back is bothering me, and to have it affect your knitting to boot! Not fair!

I did some land clearing this weekend (moving, chipping, cutting brush from trees which fell in the Patriot’s day storm in April), and got a little too enthusiastic about it all – as a result two of my fingers are sore and stiff- not good for knitting! And I just placed a gigantic order with Loopy too! Rest is the only cure, but oh, so hard!

Feel better!

44. Hope you’re back is better very soon!! My chiropractor is one of my favorite people – he’s helped me every time…
    I love both your sock patterns. I am just finishing my first sock using your new toe-up, slip stitch heel pattern and I REALLY like it.
    I’m sure Lucy is taking good care of you.

45. The socks are both pretty and I do like the heel on the Pagoda socks.

I hope your back feels back to normal soon. Back pain has to be the worst.

46. You know this seriously affects the number that I entered into the contest!!! :-)

Hope your feeling better soon, and back to your knitting self!

patti

47. Ooooh, Robert Burns! I love him, even though I can’t understand most of it.
    Take care of your back, though if that’s “slowed me down” knitting, the rest of us in the summer of socks are in serious trouble. That Double Eyelet Rib sock is very pretty.

48. Sorry your back pain kept you from knitting (and work.) In “La vie en Rose,” Edith Piaf explained her addiction to pain killers by saying that arthritis was keeping her from knitting! Don’t go there, dear.

49. Back issues are so annoying (and painful) and it’s hard to know what to do when you have them! Hope you’re on the mend. Nice sockies;-)

50. So sorry to hear about your back pain-that just sucks-both socks are beautiful.Give lucy a kiss for me! My daughter always asks if I’m on the blog “with that adorable cat!”

51. Back—– sucks
    Socks—- fab!!!!

52. Get well soon!

And I’m another reader avidly awaiting the eyelet sock pattern – it’s gorgeous!