Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

S(p)ocks It Is

You have spoken. The new socks will be named S(p)ocks.

And I finished one S(p)ock.

730533232 54bc9b3e40 m S(p)ocks It Is

Spock Sock 070507

A heel shot:

729675089 d615ad8283 m S(p)ocks It Is

Spock Sock Heel 070507

Teddy took the opportunity to model the toe of the second S(p)ock.

729664823 2cb45c9463 m S(p)ocks It Is

Sock Toe 070507
(Teddy has a new polar bear pal.)

We had a lovely Independence Day celebration. The KOARC made a great meal — oven-fried chicken, coleslaw, corn on the cob, and this for dessert.

730543264 23a1e094fb m S(p)ocks It Is

Strawberry Shortcake 070507

Strawberry shortcake. Yum.

Speaking of yum, I got something exciting in the mail today.

730544796 ad775fe097 m S(p)ocks It Is

Tess Sock Yarn 070507

Tess’ Designer Yarn sock yarn, from Michelle and Christy — a prize from their Arthritis Walk. I’ve never tried this sock yarn before so I am very excited to have it. It feels wonderful, and this colorway makes me hungry for berries. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks, Michelle and Christy!

Not So Yum

I’ve hesitating mentioning this, because I don’t write a whole lot about my real-life issues on this blog, and I don’t want to use it to whine about my health. (That’s what emails and phone calls to my friends are for — heh!) However . .ย  .

For the past two weeks I’ve been having health issues that have caused me pain that ranges from bad to agonizing. I’m in the process of wading through the idiocy that is our health care system to get some resolution and relief, but it’s clear that this situation is going to continue for a while.

My point in telling you this is not to whine for sympathy. Rather, to let you know that my online time is by necessity lessened. I have good days and bad days — some days I can sit at the ‘puter for a while, others I just can’t. I habitually get lots of emails from people asking for knitting help. I always do my best to answer these, but right now I can’t keep up. I’m conserving my online time for blogging, because I enjoy writing the blog and would miss it if I stopped.

Don’t feel too bad for me — I’ve got lots of sick leave accrued, some very good drugs, and an MRI scheduled for early next week. I go to work when I feel up to it, stay home when I don’t.

So if you email me and I don’t respond, please cut me some slack, ‘nkay?

I’m having good days and bad days when it comes to knitting too. Some days I can get a lot done, others, not so much.

That is all.

Lucy Sez

730562032 3e84e08b31 m S(p)ocks It Is

Lucy 070507

“I have to keep up my strength. I’m Momma’s chief nurse! Well, Daddy helps too, but I’m in charge.”

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

Thinking of you Wendy
    Arohanui
    Stephanie

2. Wendy- Your blog should be pure enjoyment- that’s my philosophy.
    Feel better, and take the drugs. Drugs can be good.

How many S(p)ocks are we up to now?

3. Please take care of yourself, Wendy. I’m surely not alone in sending you good wishes and hoping you find a quick & easy resolution to the problem in the very near future.

4. Here’s hoping that all those things work together to get you back on track soon! Do take care of yourself and, btw, the Spocks rock!

5. Wendy dear, could it be an after-effect of that nasty stuff in your air conditioner at work??? Hope you are feeling better soon. Your chief nurse will cuddle next to you, I am sure. Hope all is better soon.

Spocks are cool. I can see I probably underestimated you on sock output for Summer of Socks.

6. Get well soon! Visualize freedom from pain. I’ll visualize it for you, too, I wish you well, Wendy.

7. Wendy, I’m sending healing thoughts your way, I hope that you are diagnosed and treated with the utmost swiftness and that your treament has you feeling as good as new soon.

Post when you can, I’m still reading and I know I’m not alone!

8. Ya know, I voted for the Vorlon Socks but only because I didn’t read far enough down and I like S(p)ocks WAY better!

With Lucy as your Head Nurse, I know you’re in Good Hands (Paws…) My Pepper feels it her nursely duty to lay upon me when I don’t feel good so I don’t get up and do too much. What EVER would we do without them? ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Bless you. I hope you feel much better soon and that your problem is diagnosed quickly and accurately and easily treated.

Enjoy your knitting time and let email drop from the priority list. ; )

10. Wendy, you will be held in my thoughts and prayers. Please feel better fast. It looks like you are in good paws with the chief nurse.

11. Wendy, your fabulous menu was the same as mine! Except I also had some Pinot Grigio. Hope you feel better soon. I know you are in good hands (paws). I love your S(p)ocks.

12. Best wishes to you, Wendy. I hope you can find a treatment soon that helps you feel better. Chronic pain is awful.

I love the S(p)ock, it is a beautiful sock!

13. Lynette says:

Wendy, I’m so sorry you don’t feel well. Pain is the worst, it just saps the energy from you, even if you don’t “feel sick”. I’ve had some health issues in the recent past , so I can relate. The one thing you have, that I didn’t is a beautiful nurse with a wonderful bedside manner. I know you’ll get through it under Lucy’s watchful eye! Nothing like a snuggle and a purr to speed one’s recovery. You’re in my thoughts.

14. I’m sending good thoughts your way. I hope you get to feeling better very soon.

15. Shirley says:

Best Wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

16. Oy Wendy…been there, doing that…I’ve had a mystery neuropathy going on since end of January, been fighting with insurance for continued testing…on the upside, I have a better overall picture of the rest of my health in terms of horrible things I DON’T have LOL but it’s a bore when something interrupts life like this…here’s to speedy resolution…

17. Am sending you lots of pain-free thoughts and get well wishes. Do what you can, when you can. Know all the WF (WendyFans) out there are wishing you well!!

Lucy, take real good care of your Momma, y’hear? Plenty of cuddle time! luv.m.

P.S.
    The S(p)ocks are fantabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The most important thing is to take care of yourself. Push yourself too hard one day, and you can be suffering for weeks. :/ Speaking from personal experience, chronic health problems are a bitch that way. My best wishes are with you in this, and I hope the health care system finally does what it’s supposed to and offers you some relief.

19. hi wendy – just a quick get well wish to say that i hope you find some relief real soon to your chronic pain.

20. Katherine says:

Forget the email. Do what brings you joy. You already have done so very much for all of us. Bestest of best wishes for your health!

21. Ann in CT says:

Sending healthy thoughts your way! At least you have plenty of nice yarn to help keep you happy. I’ve heard being in a good mood is good for your health. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. With keepers/nurses/assistants like KOARC & Lucy I’m sure that you’re in good hands. Take care & be more like a tortoise!

23. Forgive me for butting in, but if the quest for a diagnosis proves prolonged, may I suggest you get a referral to a rheumatologist? I only offer as I had my own elusive quest (during which I experienced some exquisite agony) that lasted over 2 years and nearly led to my early retirement. Sudden onset, chronic and acute body aches and pains — no answers till I saw a rheumatologist experienced with fibromyalgia. Now I’m well in control of the situation, years away from retirement and very grateful!

I hope you find your answer quickly and effectively — and will trust Lucy and KOARC to tend to you with care and love!

24. Please take care of yourself. Thank you for all you share . My thoughts are with you !

25. Patricia says:

Take care of yourself.

Don’t worry about our knitting ’emergencies’ and questions.

The shortcake looked really good!

And thanks for telling us about your situation.

26. I hope your recovery is speedy and complete! You will be in my thoughts. Your blog is the first thing I read every morning. I arrive at the office, turn on the computer and read Wendy Knits–THEN I get coffee. Get well soon!! BTW, that is the sweetest picture of Lucy yet.

27. Donna Wingfield says:

Wendy, take care of YOU. With Lucy to supervise the KOARC, you’re in great hands!

28. Sending loving thoughts……….

29. Health stuff is just nasty, no two ways about it. PLEASE take care of you, do really nice things for yourself, take your happy drugs and don’t worry about anything else. Hard to do but really the best medicine.

Sending blessings…………………..

30. Wendy- sending good thoughts your way- I hope you find answers soon! please give Lucy a kiss for me!

31. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Wendy, I’ll be thinking of you. I’m glad you’re in the capable hands and paws of the KOARC and Lucy.

Take very good care of yourself, and thanks so much for all you do for us.

32. I hope you get some satisfactory answers soon. In the meanwhile I wish you many pain free and happy days.

33. Wendy, I’m so sorry you’re not well. I have time to answer knitting questions if there is some easy way for you to refer them to me. I hope your doctors get it figured out soon and that you feel better.

34. Wendy,
    sending warm comforting hugs your way. Your blog is special and it’s gracious and generous of you to spend valuable energy on entertaining us when you are not feeling up to par. Take care of yourself.
    hugs
    mary anne

35. I usually check your web site in the morning and evening (just to make sure I haven’t missed anything). I’ll now use that time to send positive thoughts your way — and when you don’t feel up to writing, I’ll read portions of your book (just purchased) as a substitute.

Here’s a knit one/purl one for you!

36. Get better soon! I hope it’s something that is easily remedied, if not by yarn and Lucy love, then maybe something not invasive.
    *hugs*

37. Wendy, I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties – I’ll keep you on my Happy Thoughts list. It’s very sweet of you to keep blogging for me (I like to pretend all my favorite blogs are just for me.) Hopefully there will be a swift resolution; in the meantime, eat lots of strawberry shortcake. I read a study somewhere that said sweet and fattening desserts have healing properties. (Or I had a dream that I read that study….whichever…)

38. Loving your socks goes without saying, but if there’s ANYthing I can do, ANYthing at all please feel free…{hugs}

39. Take care friend…I’ve been where you are hope you can get the help you need!

40. Hope you feel better soon!

41. Isabelle says:

Wendy – So sorry about your pain. Wishing you a quick and comfortable resolution to your discomfort. By the way, purring may speed recovery, at least in cats, but I’m sure that being with a purring kitty helps the human, too!

Technical question on short rows. Some instructions say (on the knit side) to bring the yarn to the front, slip the next stitch purlwise, bring yarn to the back, then turn. Others say (on the knit side) leave yarn at back, slip next stitch purlwise, then turn and bring yarn around to the facing side. I guess they’re both correct, but I was wondering if there were advantages to working the short row one way vs. the other and in what situations each might be preferable?

42. Thank you for letting us in on what’s happening. But I sure hope you feel better very soon. I am so glad you have KOARC and Lucy around.
    As you are aware from my previous comments, you are my inspiration with your knitting style. Your’s was the first knitting blog I discovered when we got our first computer.
    Please blog, when you are able, to keep us informed on your wonderful Summer of Socks odyssey and that hopefully you can get the best medical attention.
    Thanks again.

43. I’d like to join everyone else in wishing you well Wendy. You’ll be in my thoughts.

44. So sorry you’re not feeling well. I certainly hope the good days outnumber the bad days.

Sending you healing, feel better vibes!

45. That sucks.
    Don’t push yourself; it sounds like you are listening to your body; hopefully the medical types are starting to also.
    Keep knitting socks that please you and make you happy.
    I wish Lucy could curl up on the bad spot and purr, that would be very therapeutic.
    Echoing “S(p)ocks ROCK!”
    The Vees are Very Vulcan! (Live Long and Prosper and the Enterprise logo and all that) and even though Spock wore blue, surely he could accessorize with socks, at least in the privacy of his own cabin? (I don’t remember ever seeing his ankles…)
    Cathy

46. I’m sending healing mojo your way……Can you feel the love? Of course you can, Lucy is sitting on your lap purring, right? Hope things go well and quickly for you!

47. Jacinta says:

Hope you will soon be feeling better and pain free. Lovely seeing all the beautiful socks you are working on.

48. Just to say I always look forward to reading your blog and am really sorry about the pain etc

So gentle hugs and take care of yourself

49. Hope you figure out what is wrong. I’ll keep you in my thought. You do what you need to to feel better we’ll all still be here. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Love the S(p)ocks!

50. The socks – I mean spocks – are great!

I hope that you get to feeling better soon. It is never any fun not feeling yourself.

Lucy, I am sure that you are the best medicine that she could ask for.

51. Wendy, Love the Spocks! Hope your health problems don’t eat up too much knitting time. Best wishes and speedy recovery.

52. Drugs are good.
    Drugs with alcohol are better!
    Just kidding.
    It sucks when you feel under the weather.
    I know Lucy is looking after you, so you are certain to bounce back soon.
    Hope all goes well with the MRI. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed.

53. Bravo on the S(p)ocks!

Sorry to hear that you’re not feeling your best. I hope that you’re able to mend quickly and I’ll be sending warm thoughts your way. (Certainly a soon-to-arrive-package won’t hurt…)

54. I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Although I’m sure your two nurses have you covered, I’ll send happy, healthy vibes your way.

55. Wendy,

I had a back injury two years ago, so I know you feel, and how debilitating the pain can be. Take the meds, get plenty of rest and be kind to yourself. We all wish you the best.
    What an adorable nurse you have.

56. Hope you feel better soon. Maybe some of us could help you answer knitting questions?

57. Wendy, I hope you get better quickly and easily! Reading your blog is always a bright spot in my day.

58. Annette says:

Wendy, very sorry to hear of your health troubles, and hope that things work out OK. My neighbor (older than you) just spent 6 weeks pretty much in a prone position, until the 3rd epidural got things right. Getting old sucks, eh? Hope you can knit a little.

59. Please never think that sharing something is whining. We all know better!

Feel better, and let Lucy and the KORC look after you.

60. KarenVR says:

Wendy,
    I enjoy your blog very much. I am so sorry to hear about your back pain. I do hope the docs can get to the bottom of it. I know first-hand how frustrating it can be to wait for answers. Patience is good – with them and with yourself. Sounds like you have a good understanding employer. I’m glad to hear that.
    Take good care of yourself. I’ve finished a pair of socks over the weekend so I can try your toe up sock pattern. I tried two at once toe up once before and didn’t care for it. I hope I like your pattern. Toe up just seems like the way to go. I have big feet and ran out of yarn for this last pair, and it was discontinued, so I was on a hunt looking for another skein.
    Anyway. Take good care of you. I get some relief from massage therapy. If the doctor clears you, you might try that.

61. Marjorie Barks says:

Take care of yourself first and foremost. Having a Nurse Kitty helps immensely.

62. *crosses fingers for Wendy*

Hmm, this could blow the numbers wide open…

63. Wendy, I hope you start to be able to have more good days than bad soon. Hopefully whatever is going on will be something that can be treated and straightened out without anything else having to change much in your life.

I’m glad to know that Lucy and her “assistant” the KOARC, will be there to help you and take care of you.

P.S. No need to respond, I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.

64. No doubt you will have many a well wish for your recovery Wendy. I can’t help but add mine too … your blog is a daily source of many a thing including knowledge, inspiration, humour and wow i wanna knit like her when i grow up! Take good care of yourself, chronic pain can be so frustrating and I’m sure the medical system is as crazy state-side as it is up here in Canada. Happy, healing thoughts to you from me and my 2 kitties ๐Ÿ™‚

65. I hope your MRI turns out ok, and that your pain subsides soon!!!!

66. anne marie in philly says:

get well soon! hope the MRI doesn’t show anything serious and that you will be back to your sparkling self in no time.

lucy, take good care of your momma – lots of licks and purrs.

sending good karma your way.

67. Take care of yourself. We will miss your posts but getting well is the most important thing. You can catch us up on your health, knitting and Lucy photos once you have recovered. Sending all paws-i-tive thoughts your way for a full and speedy recovery.

68. I sincerely hope your road to recovery is a short one. I sympathize with what you’re going through and know that your acquaintances (real and online) wish you nothing but the best!

69. Your health is more important than our questions, so rest up and get better.

70. Hopefully all the good mojo helps to do its trick, and if not, you have quality nursing assistance. Truly, I’m glad to hear you are listening to your body, doing what you can, and seeking help to quicken your recovery. My thoughts and well wishes are with you!!
    Fondly… Katey

71. Well that is bad news! Please take care of yourself and hopefully this will resolve soon! And I’m here if you need anything, P-Man too!

72. Gillian says:

All the best Wendy. Hope it is solved promptly, or at least diagnosed so you know where you’re going.

73. Dear Wendy,

I hope you feel better soon.

Caroline, the SockPixie

74. judie d. says:

I’ll keep you in my prayers and hope you will be feeling better soon. You give so much to all of us through your blog — we tend to take you for granted — but always with love and good thoughts. Take care of yourself — Lucy will help, I know.

75. Thinking of you Wendy, hope you are feeling great again soon!!

76. Shirley says:

Wendy, Hope you’re feeling better soon. I’m joining the rest of the bloggers here wishing you happy healing thoughts!

77. I have read your blog each and every day for a good long time – even though we’ve never met, I feel like a “sister” to you – please take care of yourself and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the doctors are able to find a cure for whatever ails you. Speedy recovery!

78. Best wishes and positive thoughts Wendy for a speedy recovery! Lucy’s the “purr”fect nurse to take care of you. Please keep us posted not only on knitting, but on your back/health as well ๐Ÿ™‚

Kristi

79. I join so many others to wish you complete health and healing very, very soon. May you feel vibrant, pain free, and full of energy as soon as possible! Take good care.

80. I’m sending you happy get well vibes. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think your bloggin’ is awesome and would miss you. So take care of yourself and I hope you feel better.

81. Many healing thoughts are winging their way to you. Even thought Lucy thinks she comes first, now is the time for you to take care of yourself first. Sharing is not whining.

82. I’m sorry to hear you’re having health problems! Get some rest (or do whatever it takes to get better); I hope your luck with the health care system improves soon.

83. I deal with a fair amount of pain daily, and it’s awful.

Wishing you a quick and happy resolution to your bodily ills, and best wishes for keeping your spirits up. And good drugs really help. ๐Ÿ™‚

84. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

85. Hey Wendy – how odd, a new friend that I made today was talking about Knit Happens and seeing you there (she’s from VA.) I hope the pain ebbs considerably, and just to echo other commenters here, I have loved reading your blog every day and the archives are priceless research material ๐Ÿ˜‰ If the blog at some point becomes too much, step away if that’s what you need. We want you to be healthy and pain-free!

to lucy: what an excellent nursemaid! Your patient is sooo lucky to have Dr. KOARC and Nurse Lucy on call!

86. Response not needed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Get well!

87. Hope you’re feeling better soon. Hope you’re not claustrophobic like I am – having an MRI is an…interesting…experience.

88. We had oven fried chicken and strawberry jello cake on the 4th. And then we had the cake for a midnight snack, and for lunch today, and for dessert this evening, and….

I really hope you’re feeling better soon. I would totally understand if you weren’t up to blogging, and your health is the most important thing. But I would like to say that there would really be a void in knitting land and blog land if you didn’t. You’ve given so much help and inspiration to a lot of people through your blog.

The spocks are –out of this world! Chuckle. Chuckle.

89. Sherry W says:

Take care and get better soon!

90. Sending positive thoughts your way!

91. I wish you well with all of your health issues — it can be a nightmare traversing the healthcare highway. And, listen to Imbrium! Take valium for the MRI tube! I didn’t know I was claustrophobic until I went into that tube. Whoa.

And leave us for a while if you need to — we’ll be here when you get back ๐Ÿ˜‰

92. Hi,
    Hope you feel better quickly, and if you need a “physical terrorist” (physical therapist!) to beat up any of your insurance people, let me know! I am a pediatric PT, so most likely would not be of much use to you on a purely medical front, but I can badger some insurance people!!! *hugs* from my house, and my 4 kitties to yours!

93. Hope you’re better soon!

94. I suffer from chronic pain myself, so I know it sucks big time. Frustration/anger/anxiety. In any event, take good care of yourself and we will see you online as your health permits. Best wishes, Laiane.

95. I’ve been surprised over the years at how many people respond to my aches/pains and whines, and how much better that makes me feel.
    There is actual research that says writing what you feel (especially if you haven’t had an enlightened listener(!)) improves autoimmune response. From what I’ve read lately, most pain is about inflammation, so perhaps calming the autoimmune is a good thing.
    I hope you find the feistiness to get what you need from your MD’s– and the generosity to yourself to take advantage of whatever they have to offer. (I sometimes get too “proud” to take some of the pain meds which have been offered to me… then I pay the next day or two….)
    Best wishes.

96. Wendy, I’ll be sending good thoughts your way. Hope all turns out well.
    No reply needed, just wanted you to know I’m thinking of you.
    Sheri in GA

97. Mellanie says:

Hope you feel better soon. Looks like you have an excellent chief nurse.

98. Take care, take your drugs and take heart; there are many of us who love you and will have you in our thoughts.

99. That strawberry shortcake looks great! Tell The KOARC that you need it several times a week….

Get better soon – you know that you’ve got all of us thinking of you!

100. Hi Wendy: Hope you feel better soon!

Just wondering; do you think you might be doing Mystery Stole 3? I didn’t see you say anything about it and I don’t usually read the comments… ๐Ÿ™‚ Summer of socks & a stole, perhaps??

Cheers,