1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Asparagus Rib Socks

Here are the Asparagus Rib Socks in all their glory.

820588234 1f915d0e5e m Asparagus Rib Socks

Asparagus Cable Socks 071507

I finished them on my morning commute on Friday. To recap, they are my own design and are knit from Sockpixie sock yarn in the Asparagus colorway on 2mm needles.

The heels:

819711679 ad9ba804c8 m Asparagus Rib Socks

Asparagus Cable Sock Heels 071507

The cuffs:

819710331 c8c00355ab m Asparagus Rib Socks

Asparagus Cable Sock Cuffs 071507

(Note the dainty chocolate paw at the top of that picture.)
Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to bring a new sock project to work with me on Friday, so I would not be sockless on the commute home. Here it is on Friday night:

820583924 61f8dfa26a m Asparagus Rib Socks

Alpaca Sock Toe 071507

This is a very exciting sock. Why? Because of the sock yarn — it’s brand new! In fact, it’s not yet available.

820584424 bd89267576 m Asparagus Rib Socks

Alpaca Sock Yarn 071507

This is an alpaca blend sock yarn (60% alpaca, 20% merino wool, 20% nylon) from Classic Elite. It’ll be available for sale in late August, and will come in 18 vareigated colors and 12 solids. It’s a true fingering weight — I’m getting my usual 8 stitches to the inch on 2mm needles. I can’t tell you the yardage because the skein I’m working from had no ball band with information.

And I’ve made some nice progress on the first sock:

820583202 59c39a51cf m Asparagus Rib Socks

Alpaca Sock 071507

Heel Question

Catie asked an excellent question in the comments the other day:

I tend to do short row heels mostly because I know where to start them (on my foot at least) but I have avoided doing gusset heels on toe-ups because I can’t figure out how to measure where to start them. Do you have any good ways to tell others how to determine where the starting point is for the gusset?

What I do:

For a short row heel, I knit until the foot is 7.25 inches long. For my plain gusset heel sock, I knit until 7 inches long. For my slip-stitch gusset heel sock, until 6.75 inches long. So it’s one-quarter of an inch difference in each of them for me. While your mileage may vary, this will hopefully give you some idea!

Lucy would like to direct your attention to this post on Alice’s blog.

She would also like you to know that her daddy, Cecil B. De KOARC has been at it again!

As you can see, she is understandably tuckered out.

819715891 2a5e132f2c m Asparagus Rib Socks

Lucy 071507

Comments

1. The Asparagus Rib socks look great, and that alpaca sock yarn — yummy!!

2. I love the Asparagus Rib socks . . . but for some reason they’ve given me a wicked craving for cream of asparagus soup. The alpaca sock yarn is spectacular. I really enjoy the way the near stripeyness of the yarn becomes muted in the patterned portion of the foot.

3. Wendy in Cambridge says:

The Asparagus socks came out beautifully. I want to make a pair of those, too.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing the colorways of the Classic Elite sock yarn. Ooh, alpaca socks!

Kudos to Cecil B. deKOARC and star/screenwriter/choreographer Lucy. I love seeing videos of her! I’m a firm believer in watching credits, and these were definitely worth it!

4. Love the latest socks! Also, wanted to thank you for the kitty mouse pattern. I used it to make a cute mouse for my new kitten I just brought home 2 days ago. It has been 5 years since I have had a cat and she is going to be quite spoiled by the looks of things :) There is a picture of her on my blog…I’m a proud mama :) Thanks again!!

5. That video is hilarious! I have seen my own kitties do the same thing, although perhaps not with the style and panache of Lucy. (And I spotted a couple remotes on the table. That photographer is well-named, eh?)

6. Well done, Cecil B! :)

The Asparagus socks are lovely, and that new sock yarn…!!! I love the colors, and I am a sucker for alpaca. I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for that!

7. I would add to the previous commenter’s question — I can figure out how to start my gusset increases on toe-up socks, but I cannot wrap my brain around how to figure out how many increases to do for the gusset! I’ve not become a toe-up girl because of that question. Top down, no problem. I just knit my heel flap until it’s the length I want. But toe-up and I’m lost.

8. Alice in Richmond says:

OOO Lucy….. that do by Mr. Ian is devine!

9. Did you say Alpaca sock yarn? I can’t wait until it comes out!

10. I love your socks! I especially like how the green and white pooled. It looks so neat!

11. And how long is your whole foot, Wendy? I need a reference point to compare your knitted length pre-gusset to my own, please.

Thanks for the heads up on the alpaca yarn. That’s just the kind of stuff I love to buy. I’ll need to wait a year or so to tell you if I love knitting and wearing it as much.

12. Another gorgeous pair of socks! I’m giggling at Lucy (sorry, Lucy!) – we have a lot of invisible insects ’round here, too.

13. Your asparagus socks are beautiful colors. I like the way you carried the cable into the ribbing at the top! Also, I love, love, love the pattern on the new alpaca sock.

14. The asparagus socks look great – and the new alpacas are gorgeous! I’m looking forward to hearing how you like them. The wool blend should help with wearability. I spent many hours happily knitting a pair of pure alpaca socks – okay, I’m still new at this – but how I loved those socks. The yarn was such a pleasure to work with and they had such a beautiful color…then I wore them twice and walked through the heels. I’m really, really hoping you have better luck with them!! Please keep us posted!

Hope you’re feeling better and things go well -

15. Fantabulous aspar socks! Can’t wait for the pattern! And I love that new yarn! What glorious color!

Aren’t kitties all alike when they’re stalking a gnat or fly? Lucy uses the same moves my Yoda does. In fact, Lucy and Yodie do look a bit alike as Yodie is a Siamese-mix rescue. Buster, my tuxedo kitty often hurls himself into the air, trying for the prize. Yoda does it with a bit more finesse. Kudos to Cecil De KOARC! He captures the moves beautifully! Definitely an Oscar winning performance!!

Hope U R feeling better! luv.m.

16. MamaLana says:

Bravo Cecil B. de KOARC and Miss Lucy!! I want to point out to the uninitiated that those are not “invisible” flies; they’re just not visible to us mere mortals. Wendy, asparagus socks and alpaca socks are as gorgeous as ever. Lovely!

17. Thanks for the Lucy clip, so cute. I have that same fan, too!

18. Ann in CT says:

I liked the credits on the new Lucy video. And the socks are pretty. That new alpaca yarn is vivid, are you worried about it felting? Did they send it to you to test knit to drum up interest?

19. So did Lucy catch it?? Cute video. And I love the Asparagus Sock pattern!

20. Loved the Lucy clip, she reminds me of my Jack, also a recue cat. Socks are beautiful . Hope you are feelilng better.

21. The socks are great! I love the pattern and color.

You’re just teasing us with the new Classic Elite yarn!! I think they’re going to look fantastic.

The video is adorable!!

22. Love the clip! Liked the way she slowly walked around when she temporarily lost the unseen insect!
    The Asparagus Rib Socks are beautiful.

23. Lovely socks! The pattern and color really compliment each other. I’m crazy about anything alpaca. Does the wool content add enough stretch to the fiber?

24. Love your socks!! Was wondering if you have plans to release the pattern for sale any time soon? I do also hope you are feeling better. Hug little Lucy!!

25. Not only are the socks beautiful (my toes are envious), but I love the ‘sock stretchers’ with the kitty cut outs. Did you make those or should I know where to find them?

26. I just love all your socks. it is hard to find toe-up patterns. You wouldn’t be writting a book with all those lovely patterns? If not, you should!

27. Lucy “Boo Boo Kitty” – had me LMAO! We’re huge fans of Kevin Smith (and Jason Mewes too) and one of our cats has the middle name of “Justice” because we just couldn’t put our family through the pain of hearing why, exactly, she was named “Boo Boo Kitty *&^% “

28. Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I am ya know, not always the sharpest needle in the stack. And please note that I am not a sock knitter (yet, I think). My question is: what are you going to do with all those socks? Especially since I can’t imagine that you will stop knitting socks after this summer! Are you making them all in your size? Or are some already toe marked for others? Hmmm… I didn’t place a guess, but I suppose the answers to these questions could change the outcome.

Thanks for a great blog!
    charli

29. Mellanie says:

Pretty socks. I especially like the pattern on the new one. Darling pics of lucy and her toy feathers. Great video too. Loved the credits “Wendy Kitty Catering” heh heh!

30. Oh I love that new sock yarn colorway. That is gorgeous. The sock itself looks interesting too.

I still love those asparagus rib socks, they turned out awesome.

What a fun summer of socks you are having. :)

I love the video, that was adorable. It is nice to see the entire world of cats is not a gloomy one after my crappy cat week.

31. LMFAO at comment #27 above from ajdury.

The reference to Shannon Elizabeth as “Justice” (aka “Boo Boo Kitty &#%$”) is from the classic “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back” of course.

Although I have that movie on DVD, I watched it Sunday on FX.

In my opinion, it’s Kevin Smith’s 2nd greatest film (right behind “Dogma” of course). It even included another appearance by Alanis Morissette as you-know-who.

It’s a movie that’s so good that even Will Ferrell couldn’t stink it up.

32. A review of that new beautiful sock yarn, please?

I love the asparagus socks!

33. Theresa in Italy says:

Cecil B. DeKOARC does it again! Great credits! Also beautiful socks!

34. Love the details in asparagus socks — cables that continue though rib, for example. Did Lucy ever get her bug snack ? :). Also loved seeing glimpse of beautiful throw in chair. How do you like the Alpaca yarn? Do you think the merino and nylon will help in durability & keeping shape though washing?

35. Those asparagus socks look good enough to eat! :)

36. Cynthia DiPalma says:

Dear Wendy,
    I enjoy your blog each day. Your husband’s video prompts this question – Do you have any thought that Lucy might be a Chocolate Point (or maybe a Seal Point) Himalayan instead of a Ragdoll? She looks exactly like a pedigreed Chocolate Point Himalayan I once owned (who was a wonderful cat). Just wondering….
    Cynthia

37. I love your asparagus cable socks! That alpaca yarn looks like something I will be investigating when it arrives in stores. I hope you are feeling better and get some good news soon. I will be off on July 30 & 31, if I can be of any help, please let me know.

38. I love your Asparagus socks!! I hope you’re feeling better and will hear some good news from your doctor very soon!! Healing vibes being sent!

39. I am such a cat-a-holic that I happily watch your Lucy videos while sighing with pleasure. I can see how gentle she is from the way she bats at her toys. My three are country boys and would have shredded that pinky/purple thing within moments. She is such a beauty.

40. Love the Asparagus socks. The cables flow into the band beautifully. The new yarn sounds really nice, soft and warm. It’s pretty for sure.

Lucy is so funny.

41. moiraeknittoo says:

I love the Lucy video, and it cracks me up that I knew exactly which episode of Stargate: SG1 was on the TV w/in about three seconds. :D Love that ep, love Lucy, and thank you for sharing!

42. Hi, My cat Mindy would just like to point out that a little ‘invisible’ insect chasing is useful when someone qestions whether she has earnt her keep. She reasons that the insect could well be a moth and so she is doing a valuable job around the house. Do you think Lucy is after a raise in the catnip allowance?

43. helen rackliff says:

I would like to buy the pattern for asparagus cable sock heels 071507
    if possible. looking forward to hearing from you.
    helen rackliff