1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Name That Sock

Thanks for all your fun suggestions for naming my new sock pattern! I took a few of my favorites from among your suggestions and I’ve put together a poll. icon smile Name That Sock

What Should I Name This New Sock Design?

View Results

loading Name That Sock Loading ...

In the meantime, I’m chugging along on the second sock.

879095490 3091e1567c m Name That Sock

Socks 072307

And I’ve discovered that this sock yarn must be magic. It knits up so very, very quickly, even though I am knitting it at my normal fingering gauge. Go figure.

Double Eyelet Rib Socks

Remember when I told you that my Double Eyelet Rib Socks pattern would be a freebie? Well, it’s now available for download. But not from this site.

It’s posted on The Loopy Ewe’s new Free Patterns Page. Go! Download! Enjoy!

The free patterns page is linked to from Sheri’s blog — check her sidebar under “Pages.”

Stash Enhancement

Several of you requested a peek at what I purchased from The Loopy Ewe last week. Here you go.

879094554 6428546fdf m Name That Sock

New Yarn 072307

From top to bottom, that’s Misty Mountain Farm in “Evergreen,” Chewy Spaghetti fingering in “Succulent” and “Lyrical,” Wollmeise in “Spice Market,” Fiesta Boomerang in “Adirondack,” and Cider Moon fingering in “Giddy.”

Nurse Lucy

Lucy has been a good little nurse to me. She makes a point of sitting on my lap or lying on me whenever possible. Here’s a photo the KOARC took last Saturday.

879093872 ee051eadc1 m Name That Sock

Lucy 072307

For some reason, I am the only person she allows to hold her like that — flipped over on her back. As much as she adores her Daddy (and believe me, when I’m not ill, she will always choose to sit on his lap rather than mine when we are both available), she won’t let him flip her over.

But for some reason, I’m extended this privilege. She will lie like that for ages, completely relaxed and purring. And she prefers it if I’m talking baby talk to her while holding her.

But you probably did not need to know that.

Comments

1. My catchen sit on my lap like that too, especially when I feel unwell…. hm, interesting!

Great yarn haul.

2. Sigh. My catchen will stay like that for about 0.75 of a second, then they become a flailing ball of indignity and resentment! Lucy has such a beautiful fluffy tummy!

3. Electra would never do that. It is far beneath her dignity (or so I’m told, in yowling notes.) Her new thing is running for the back door, tail quivering with excitement, every time any of us goes NEAR the damn door. Note she is an inside cat. My parents spoiled her once by letting her lay out on the patio while they read… now she wants it all the time. (the tail quivering makes it worth it. So. Cute.)

*sigh*

4. Obviously Lucy knows who her momma is! I am kvelling at the little tufts of fur on her paws. She is so perfect :)

5. thanks for the beautiful sock pattern. Can’t wait to get started. Waiting patiently for the asparagus yarn to arrive from sockpixie. Hope you are feeling better. I read your blog, admire your work, love your cat and appreciate you on so many levels. Prayers and warm feelings going your way all the time. Keep petting Lucy, it is a healing.

6. I [heart] The Loopy Ewe. I placed my very first order with them Wednesday (some A Little Heather sock yarn for a gift to a new sock-knitter and some Rowan Kidsilk Haze for me). The package was on my doorstep on Friday (and a handwritten note was enclosed to welcome me).

7. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Thanks for the new sock pattern, Wendy. I’m going right over to The Loopy Ewe to download a copy of it.

Beautiful colorways in your Loopy Ewe stuff. I’ll be interested to hear how you like the Wollmeise.

Lucy looks so cute on your lap. She obviously adores her Momma, too. Oh, and I talk baby talk to my kitty, also. All the time. What she actually thinks of this, she’s too polite to say!

8. Ooh! Nice yarn haul :) I’m dying to order some of the smooshy yarn; maybe when I’m done with the pair of Cookie’s Millicents that I’m knitting for my daughter to wear to school.

I love the upside-down Lucy; my cat used to only do that for me, too. She was the kind of cat who loved it when I got a fever because then I was an even warmer bed.

9. ISABELLA CASSER says:

Its perfectly normal to talk baby talk to one’s cat.
    I used to do it when mine were around

10. anne marie in philly says:

I second peeve’s comment. meredith NEVER sits on a lap or wants to be held for very long.

however, she WILL climb into bed with you, roll onto her back, and beg you to scritch her tummy.

and, being the good mommy that I am, I comply with her request.

steven just watches with his nose in the air. “it’s a girl thing” he sniffs.

11. The lacy blue socks look like escalators to me! Escalator socks? I’d love this pattern also. Your blog is a favorite of mine!

12. I was so excited to see the Double Eyelet Rib Socks at Loopy!! I really admired them a lot. Maybe it will be just the push I need to try toe up socks.

I also got the Chewy Spaghetti in “Lyrical”. I really love it!

13. Oh yes we did need to know that Lucy lets her Mom hold her in a special way. It’s wonderful that you have her to nurse you along. I know you’ve mentioned you’re in the midst of tests. I thought I’d suggest that you be tested for Lyme disease. I’ve heard of so many people with various ailments that are hard to diagnois. Often it turns out they have Lyme disease. I hope you are back to your old self ASAP.

You’re amazing with all you’ve got going on, you managed to pull a sock pattern together & give it to The Loopy Ewe. With your new sock pattern, I’m going to attempt my 1st toe up sock. By the way, I just received my 2nd order from Loopy Ewe. What an amazing business! Not only did I receive my order in 3 days it was nicely wrapped & had a personal message.

14. Voted for Lacy Ladders. Seems the voting will be more close this time than with the last contest of name-them-socks, huh? Maybe it should have been LUCY ladders ?!!!????!! ;-)

Buster will lie on his Daddy’s lap with all four feet in the air. He especially likes to do this when Daddy is at the computer. Yodie isn’t much for this position. Occasionlly he strikes a “four in the air” pose, but not too often. Although both my kitties love to have their tummies rubbed.

Have you ever read Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset? This is a tome that revolves around a Norwegian woman in the 13th C. It is a good book and perfect when one is somewhat incapacitated. I read it years and years ago and am planning to read it again (once my summer school session is done). Like I said, it’s a biggie, but worth it.

Thanks for making your patterns available – can’t wait to download! luv.m.

15. I often pretend to snuffle/eat my cat’s belly at the same time exclaiming kitty kebab!, wonder why she hates it???

16. Thank you for the Double Eyelet Rib Sock Pattern. I just printed it off and may cast on this evening.

17. They will lie bellyup when they totally trust you – even though Lucy loves both her mommy and daddy, you’re her special person :). I have a monster Coon cat, and I know that special relationship. Sorry to hear you’re in so much pain – part of the area I work in deals with pain management, and people are desperate to find some relief that doesn’t require being knocked for a loop! And thanks to you, I’m a mega Loopy groupy – I won’t tell you how many free $25 g.c’s I’ve earned :) Stay strong!

18. One of my cats hates to be flipped onto his back. The other has been known to start purring the instant someone does it to him. (But only some of the time. Other times he makes grumpy wheezy noises.)

The Cider Moon “Giddy” yarn looks really nice! I can’t wait to see what that looks like when you knit it up.

19. Love those blue, blue socks !!!
    Yup I voted for the Lucy Ladder Socks,
    next time I will wear my glasses though!

20. Baby talk?! How strong ARE those painkillers?! ;)

21. Mellanie says:

As you well know, kitty body heat and purrs is very healing.

22. First of all, I hope you’re feeling better. Nothing worse than being ill in the summer. Well … anytime really. And secondly, thank you for the beautiful sock pattern over at The Loopy Ewe. I’m looking forward to knitting it up.

23. Oh Lucy you know how to suck your Momma in and make her feel better.

24. Hey! Feel better…and great yarn. I managed to get some Wollmeise too. Nice colors, huh? And some Misty Mountain. And thank you thank you for the sock pattern. How generous of you.

25. Was the vote that pushed “Waterfall” ahead by one. The blues are beautiful.

26. Lovin’ the Loopy Ewe Yarn!!

27. Nice addition to the stash. The green and brown one reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Hmmm….I may have to go have some now.

28. Thanks for the pattern! Very pretty sock.

29. I ordered some Dream in Color yarn from the Loopy Ewe last night, and can’t wait for it to arrive!

One of our cats is just like Lucy, in that I can rub his belly, but no one else can even *see* it! And he prefers singing to baby talk … :-)

Feel better!

30. LOL about the baby talk–it really completes the picture! Inquiring minds want to know. xo Kay

31. What Lesley said about monster Coons – Mackie is a a neck nuzzler, ear nibbler and belly rub slut. Lucy only flops belly up on occasion, and more often for me than her daddy, but she loves to fold her sizable self onto my (not so petite) lap and wrap her tail around my arm.

Beautiful socks, Wendy. I hope you’re feeling better soon!

32. I voted for Lacy Ladders, but would I think “Lucy Ladders” would be best of all. Thanks for the sock enabling.

33. Marianne Y says:

A huge thank you, Wendy, for posting your new Double Eyelet Rib Socks pattern on Loopy Ewe! It’s a beautiful pattern, and I can’t wait to cast it on!

Thanks, too, for the tip that Sheri restocked her Dream in Color yarn this weekend. I had been waiting for it. I got two colorways, and I am really looking forward to getting them to cast-on! Your new pattern might be just the one to use for one of them!

My little Lhasa Apso girl is something like Lucy, in that I’m the only one she will let scratch her tummy, etc. They really have to trust you to get in a vulnerable position!

I hope you feel better very soon!

34. The Belly Rub makes my kitties nuts. One of them will just attack your hand. The other thinks he is in kitty heaven. But they only want there bellies rubbed if the other is already on you lap.

The haul of yarn looks wonderful. Nice diverse colors.

35. The sock looks great! I’d steer away from the name Waterfall socks as there is a somewhat similar design by Anne at Knitspot. Just an FYI. ;)

Hoping you’ll be back to 100% soon!
    Blessings!

36. Spooky…..We must have yarn ESP or something very much like it…I just got a box from Sheri, including some Cider Moon (Positano), some Misty Mountain Farm (Wild Cherry and another one *oh snot, I forgot*) AND Fiesta Boomerang! Orangeish number, I think! Check on Ravelry, as I posted pics there!
    Either that, or you control what I knit.
    Could be either!

37. You gotcha some Wollmeise! I have some coming on a boat from Germany. Seriously. So I will be anxious to hear what you, the Sock Maven, think of it.
    Our orange cat, Citrus, thinks he’s a dog, or a baby. He asks to be picked up and held, and doesn’t mind being held belly-up. Though he usually doesn’t assume that position himself unless he’s way hot, and then only briefly.
    I hope the purr therapy helps the back a little bit. I was going to say, “Damn bipedalism!” since our backs have never been the same since we decided to walk on two legs. But if we weren’t bipedal, it would be a LOT harder to knit!

38. I was pleased to see that the sock name that I voted for, River Run, was the most popular. I wonder if there are other fans of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series out there who also saw a connection!?

39. Oh man, you nabbed Spice Market! I had to decide on five colorways when I ordered directly from Germany (due to postage restrictions), and Spice Market was the one that I cut. But then I wished I had gotten it. I think I will just order one from Germany. I’m jealous.

Hope you’re feeling better.

40. Thank you for sharing your summer of socks on your blog. The color of the eyelet socks really caught my eye, and then you showed how you managed the pattern ribs ran straight up into the ribbing at the top! I was hooked to keep reading the blog, and to keep hoping your health would improve so that you could indeed share the pattern. Thank you. Continue taking large doses of Feline Improvement Vibes – that and a lot of knitting to keep you occupied and I know you’ll be better soon (has worked for me in the past :))

41. Paula in Iowa says:

Many thanks for the sock pattern! I am an addict to sock knitting. And I don’t even want to change! Hugs to you (very soft ones) for getting well. Goober sends his purrs that are most curative. And rattle the windows when he gets wound up good. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

42. Theresa in Italy says:

Oh, I dunno, I like knowing I’m not the only one talking baby talk to my pets!

Thanks for the new sock pattern—as if I needed any excuse to mosey on over to The Loopy Ewe! Your recent haul from Sheri bears some resemblance to mine….

43. Yes, why do some yarns knit up so much faster than others? It’s one of the great mysteries of life. I use Rowan’s Kid Classic quite a lot, although not for socks, because I love working with it, and I’ve noticed that it’s really fast too. I reckon it must be something to do with how much give the yarn has and how easily one can get it looped around the needle, and that if it isn’t very stretchy that takes a nano-second longer, but I’m open to suggestion.

I hope your back starts improving soon.

44. I, too, have a new yarn stash enhancement from The Loopy Ewe that looks quite like yours! Thanks SO much for the new pattern!!! I can’t wait to get started! Now I just need to pick a skein! Hmmm, what to choose, what to choose!

45. Thanks for the pattern! Hobbes tends to know when I don’t feel well too. He curls up with me and is very comforting. It’s amazing how sensitive our furry friends can be.

46. Thanks for the free pattern, Wendy! Have you considered making a book out of your sock patterns? Called “Wendy’s Summer of Socks” of course. I don’t know exactly how many you’ll come up with before it’s over, so I can’t tell whether it would be worthwhile or not. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and that Lucy and the King are taking good care of you.

47. Thanks for the new pattern. I got an order from Loopy Ewe yesterday, featuring many of the same yarns you bought. I really, really like the texture of the Fiesta Boomerang, which I got in some rather dainty pastels, for some reason.

I am thinking of trying the new pattern in Panda Cotton (also in the order), though, since I feel obligated to try that yarn, since everyone keeps talking about it.

And speaking of your patterns, I am about to post on my blog a photo of sock #1 of my Tofutsie experiment, using your Feather and Fan toe-up pattern. (I assume one could click on my name to see it.) Love the Tofutsie–I think I could actually wear the sock with shoes!

Wow, if I knit my Handmaiden yarn with the seacell in it after Panda Cotton, I will have tried all the “trendy” yarns in my stash and can go back to “what color do I like.”

I hope your health continues to improve, btw.

48. cecilia says:

Cats are so intuitive. They have their very special ways. Hope that her diligent nursing gets you back on your feet. Thanks for the sock down load. Now I have to decide what sock yarn to use. cecilia

49. Thanks for the pattern! It’s funny how the female kitties seem to prefer men! Of my 4 cats, my little girl is the one that prefers my husband whereas the 3 boys prefer me. Hmmm . . .

50. Love those socks….
    And I don’t know when I’ve had a kitty that allowed belly up sleeping…
    Now the babytalk? Oh yeah. That’s what all mine want. lol
    (((hugs)))

51. Thank you for the lovely pattern!! I downloaded it from The Loopy Ewe, and Ihave some All Things Heather that I bought from her so I’m ready to make them. :o)

So sorry to hear you have been in so much pain. Hope you are on the mend soon. I have Lupus so I can empathize, and only hope you never feel the kind of pain I have. But, you have an excellent nurse so I know you’ll be feeling better soon.

52. I truly beleive that kitty tummies have magical healing powers. Even better is snorgeling the belly. Go have a snorgle, Wendy, and feel better.

53. Nice yarns! I can’t wait to see those knitted up (including mine!) I have heard so much chatter about the Wollmeise, and I have been lusting after that Boomerang. We have one cat (out of four) that likes to be held like that. Of course, I scratch his back from underneath while I do it, so that may be why. I’m just about to cast on your new sock pattern- but I’m going to knit it top down.
    Have a great day!

54. See, I voted “Lacy Ladders”, because I thought it read “Lucy Ladders”… Heh, that might be a cute name too!

55. Love the new socks and your newest yarns look luscious. Lucy is gorgeous and laying on her back means she trusts you most.

56. Of course she need her momma to talk “Lucy talk” to her. I noticed another person commented already on her lovery lufts of fur. My log hair loves to lay on his back and I am the only one he does that for.
    Thank you SOOOO much for the pattern. I love it and can’t wait to knit it. You are too good.

57. Michele with one "L" says:

Just wanted to thank you for the sock pattern. I went, right
    a way, to Loopy Ewe and downloaded the pattern.
    I love your blog. Read it daily and love the pictures and comments by Lucy.
    I tried to just knit from my stash, but I have to confess, I have sinned. Greatly! Lots of times!

58. Thank you for the “freebie” pattern. It’s beautiful. And I love, love, love the “new” pattern you haven’t named yet. :) Hope that one might be up sometime for download too. (hint hint)

59. wendy,

since you make so many socks on #1, and so many are your generic toe-up (which i have yet to make), does it feel like you are always making the same sock? i realize the great yarns are different, but still, the same stitches, the same size, etc. does it get “old”? and why not (since i guess that will be your answer)?

60. I think you and LE were made for each other! A winning combo! The new yarns look sooo good. Lucy looks like the perfect nurse :) And again, thank you for a lovely pattern!

61. I hope you feel better soon. Yes, get a good test for Lymes… it’s a nasty one… DD9 had it.

Hi Lucy!!!!

Love, Love, Love the socks… and the Naming Polls..

Thanks for the pattern… I downloaded that baby but quick!!!!