1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

River Run Socks

Here are the completed River Run Socks.

889324712 610e37c699 m River Run Socks

River Run Socks 072407

The voting was close between River Run and Waterfall as the name for this pattern. As of this posting, they are just about neck and neck in the polls. But since a commenter pointed out that there is another sock pattern for sale out there that is called “Waterfall Socks,” I decided that River Run should be the chosen name.

889325818 eca1798447 m River Run Socks

River Run Socks Closeup 072407

Thanks to all of you who suggested names and to everyone who voted.

To recap, the socks are knit from Dream in Color Smooshy Sock Yarn in the “Deep Sea Flower” colorway on 2mm needles.

This is a very stretchy pattern, I have discovered. It would be great for someone with feet and ankles that swell during the day, as the sock can expand to accommodate changes.

So I started a new sock, just barely.

889323344 618790eaf8 m River Run Socks

Fiesta Sock 072407

I broke out some of my Fiesta Boomerang.

889322348 1f92e3d7c1 m River Run Socks

Fiesta 072407

This in the “Mochachino” colorway, and using a 2.75mm needle I’m getting 6.5 stitches to the inch. It’s a very interesting yarn — nice and springy, and very very soft. I’m very interested to see how it will look knitted into socks.

888478915 759e240a2f m River Run Socks

Fiesta Closeup 072407

Again, Thanks

Thanks again for all the kind comments on the state of my health. I don’t want to turn this into a medical issues blog, so I really want to keep this type of discussion to a minimum. I’ve mentioned the issues I’m having to explain why I am not available to answer questions via email, and why at times my blog entries will be short. My issues have been diagnosed and I’m working to get some resolution. Nothing life-threatening, just extremely painful. Resolution is a long and arduous procedure due to the bizarre way my doctor’s office works. Or rather, does not work. It seems as though while the doctors and nurses there are often responsive and compassionate in their work, they simply haven’t figured out how to communicate with each other so that simple things that they are supposed to be doing get done within a reasonable time period. So I have to keep calling and calling and calling and leaving messages.

Maybe ten years from now I’ll look back on this and laugh. But I doubt it.

Lucy doesn’t think so either.

889323952 30059e83e3 m River Run Socks

Lucy 072407

Comments

1. My dentist’s office is the same way. I hate having to get anything done by another dentist in the practice, it takes forever to get information passed and I am always afraid they will do the wrong thing… >:|

I voted for Waterfall, but River Run makes me think of Rivendell. Having fat ankles, I appreciate the stretch factor too..!

2. Oh dear, I am sorry to hear of your pain and discomfort. I’ve worked in healthcare for almost 20 years and it is still a mystery to me. My perception is that oftentimes the physician/caregivers are overwhelmed. Not a helpful thing when one is in pain and waiting for a callback, I know. I am sending healing, pain-free thoughts to you on a daily basis.

I just love the color of the new sock! Beautiful!

Lucy looks P.O’d as only a cat can !! Luv and hope you feel much better soon! m.

3. Darn you’re fast!

4. Patricia says:

Oooo- another nice pair of socks. The color and pattern are wonderful- I have an urge to flop out in the Lochsa. You’re really cranking them out- wish I had entered the contest- you’re right on track with my guess (I think I was out of town and saw it post-closing date)

Much nicer to look at socks than listen to the AG Gonzalez babble on….again….

5. Are you going to sell the patterns for your latest socks? They are gorgeous!

6. Love your new sock – perfect yarn and pattern combination. I have some Smooshy in Black Dance (I think that’s what it’s called) and can’t wait to try it out.

7. It’s Black Parade – not Black Dance.

8. River Run is a great name & the socks are great too.

I purchased Fiesta Boomerang from the Loopy Ewe. I can’t wait to cast on. The socks will be great for colder days.

As I was looking thru your recent socks, I noticed they’ve all been knit on circs. So have you officially converted to circs?

9. Love the socks. I can’t decide if it is the color, the pattern or the combination. Anyway they are terrific!

I realize my guess at the beginning of Summer of Socks was way, way too high and giggle now at my anticipation of your volume of knitting.

Regarding the medical issues – I hope that the recovery comes quickly rather than slowly and that the doctor’s office becomes more responsive to your needs – so rest as you can – in whatever position is most comfortable.

10. Those are beautiful socks and my ankles would likely do very well with the River Run pattern. Is Fiesta Mochachino similar to Jitterbug? The colors are very pretty.

11. L-B DP-Hands says:

Well, since Sherry (above) brought up the subject…..I’ve noticed, too! ;-)

12. Barbara-Kay says:

Now THAT is an irate look on a cat! I most certainly wouldn’t want to tell her face-to-face that her Meowmy’s question couldn’t be answered today!

Love the socks. Sigh. I am a confirmed top-down knitter, and you–you create magic from the toe up. Ships in the night, as it were.

13. Too bad you’re just a bit too far to go to my doctor’s office. They are so on top of things, it’s a little scary at times.

Gorgeous socks!

14. Wendy – I have the lupus. It took something close to 10 years of weird symptoms and oddities and as many docs to figure it out. Once I did – I ended up switching docs a couple years after the diagnosis becuase he was nice, but not what I needed. Stress isn’t something that is good for you when you are ill, so try to relax, drink some nice tea and have a Lucy cuddle. That is what I do on days like today when I hurt everywhere.

socks are lovely, as usual.

15. I also have noticed that you’re using circs. Any chance that you’ll be making two socks on two circs? Or are you a one-by-one sort of gal?

16. Great socks, great colors……….and maybe there is a book in this: How I Knit My Way to Health by Knitting!

17. Those socks are bee-yoo-ti-full.

I agree with Lucy. People expect everyone else to be professional but exempt themselves. This will never be funny. It’s called “adding insult to injury.”

18. The second I saw your Dream in Color yarn the other day I hightailed it to The Loopy Ewe’s site and managed to snag one of the last skeins in that same color. It’s utterly gorgeous – I can’t wait to get my little paws on it and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

19. Ann Carpenter says:

Hi Wendy, Lordy I’m glad you said it’s nothing life-threatning. I’ve been worried to death. If good thoughts help you should be well soon because I think of you every day, most of the day and worry. Why do I worry? Because I’ve lost two people in the last two years with the same symptons as you have said you have. Our next door neighbor started out the same way and died in a year and my best friend’s SIL died in two years. Both of bone cancer that started in the sacrum. It was really bad. Both went into remission and thought they were well then it came back and they died quickly. The next door neighbor was also a government worker so it was just too much of a similarity to keep me from worrying myself sick over you. I must admit to also being a serious worrier about everyone. Please get well soon and take care. I can tell little Lucy is doing her best to take good care of you so play along with her and let her think she has healed you. She’ll like that.
    Ann in Dallas, Texas

20. Mochachino sounds like a Starbucks expen$ive beverage! People, Lucy does not look angry; she has that feline proud and inscrutable look. Inscrutable kitty, that’s it. And still good for snorgeling!

21. Ginny Z says:

The River Run socks are just great. Will you be selling the pattern? How about a “Summer of Socks” book? I also have a cat (Frisky, aka BigOrangeKitty) that straps himself to me when I am under the weather. It helps! Glad you have Lucy to keep you company. Take care!

22. Still sending you feel-better vibes….

23. Our Dr.’s office is the same way. Heck I called and left a message about an over the counter allergy medication that I could give my 2 year old that would be safe. I NEVER got a call back. I ended up talking to a pharmacist to find out what I could give him. It was a Friday and I couldn’t let him suffer over the weekend because of the office’s negligence.

I say sick Lucy on them. I think she could take them and get something done.

Love the socks. The new ones look quite interesting.

24. Sorry you’re feeling bad – it’s good to see that Lucy is taking such good care of you!

25. These socks are lovely. I am really enjoying seeing the patterns you use and create for your Summer of Socks.

Let’s hope your health problems are soon over and that you have great insurance. Having a painful and annoying problem myself right now and can’t decide which specialist I should see..orthopedist, neuroligist or just a chiropractor. I will say that my unorthodox internist does get calls returned almost immediately, so I should probably call the office and ask. One doctor with 13 nurses and staff to deal with insurance and call backs. Crazy. Remember the days of one doctor with one nurse who sort of took care of the office? I do.

That Lucy has the most expressive face!

26. Theresa in Italy says:

I am so sorry to hear about the unresponsive attitude in your doctor’s office—and more than a little angry. I worked in health care for 10 years and there’s no excuse for bad communication. Or at least there wasn’t where I worked. Darn it, that’s the last thing you need when you’re trying to get better.

On a more cheerful note, I’m one of those who can use stretchy socks around the ankles, so I’ll be watching for that pattern, and do let us know what you think of the Boomerang!

27. Lovely socks! Both the finished and the started ones. I’m hoping to get a chance to eventually obtain the River Run sock pattern. I need stretchy socks.

I hope your heath issues resolve quickly and with a minimum of further phone calls on your part. Lucy looks like a lovely comfort giver.

28. WoW – very impressive. So many socks. Keep up the good work. Hope you sort out those doctors soon.

29. Wendy, I’m glad to hear you have a diagnosis now. That’s got to give you some relief.

I was once near the throws of death in my doc’s office (nasty strep throat), and I watched someone come in and organize her care in person. That office wasn’t super disfunctional, but it’s harder for them to put you on hold or ignore you when you are there.

If there’s anything I’ve learned dealing with the Dutch medical system, you shouldn’t be afraid to stand up and put the pressure on them to treat you right (not that you’re afraid, but we Americans are often held by our politeness). Here it’s difficult to get them to believe that they should do anything at all, so we’ve gotten real good at leaning on them to give us the care we need.

The socks, as always, are amazing! I can’t wait to try out some of these patterns.

Best, Jen

30. I know what you mean about the dilemmas involved in what to post. My blog has always been a “this is how I am” kind of affair, and because I am a dilletante at heart, I never limited it to “just knitting.” People don’t look to me as a knitting expert as a result, but I just write what’s going on. When I was doing chemo etc a couple of years ago, it was touching and gratifying how much support was forthcoming from strangers.
    I certainly hope you get exactly the support and comfort you want from us (and Lucy).

31. I love the River Run socks! They are so beautiful! I hope that you are starting to feel better.

32. The River Run socks are gorgeous!

33. Glad the medical stuff can be resolved, Wendy – and I agree. There are times when I think communication (for all our hi-tech abilities) has gone back to the dark ages…carrier pigeon anyone?
    Don’t lose your cool, but keep on pushing them. (hard to do, I know)
    We have to be our own best advocates in health crises these days…
    And as always, love the socks and Miss Lucy.
    Gentle (((((hugs)))))

34. The River run socks love the name and the color. Hope you are better soon.

35. I’m relieved to hear you have a diagnosis, Wendy. Take care of yourself (with help from that sweet furry nurse!) and feel better soon.

Love the Fiesta Boomerang! Great colors too.

36. jo morgan says:

Just had to say AMEN to the way doctor’s offices work! I too have some medical issues right now and while the doctors, as you said, seem compassionate and caring, the office procedures are often infuriating and obstructing. I wish you well as you work through these things. Jo

37. I’m definitely glad it’s not life-threatening! We’ll have our Wendy for a long time to come! :D

The Mochachino socks look like they’re going to be very fiery!

38. Oh Wendy. I really hope you feel better real soon. I’m glad to hear you have been diagnosed and it is not life threatening. But what a total bummer to be in constant pain. I’ve been in pain too that went on for over a month and it is down right depressing. Good luck – - and keep up the great knitting! Kisses and smooches to Lucy.

WendyT

39. Wendy, you are a sock inspiration…I am just trying the two circ socks and although different I think I may love it, after 20 years of dpn…next two socks on two circs.?.then maybe 4 ? lol…knitting is so healing, like meditation and better than medication…although one thing we could all use is a health advocate to help us through when we aren;t well…this would be a huge help and is a big missing link in the healing process, because to haul our asses through the system when not operating on all cylinders is a bit much…and I am in Canada, so I can only imagine in the states…good luck and happy healing

40. Lucy says – Take me to the office with you next time and I’ll straighten them out! No one can argue with a cat – they always win.

Mochachino colorway is making me want more coffee . . .

41. Ann in CT says:

Must have lovely red Mochachino sock yarn.
    Obviously you will have to have Lucy go down there and have a talk with those people in your dr’s office.

42. Hi Wendy,

Love the River Run socks. Am I the millionth person to ask when and where the pattern is/will be available? I’ve got some Smooshy in Wisterious in need of a pattern.

43. Those socks are beautiful! The pattern has exactly the right amount of texture for that yarn. :)

Hope you feel better soon!!

44. Karen M says:

Hi Wendy,
    I hope you feel better…. I’m glad you’re going to be OK. I had a similar situation myself this past spring, where it was going to be a long and arduous process… but you will get there.
    My prayers and comforting thoughts are with you.
    Your book is fabulous and got me through singing 2 funerals this week.
    Hope all improves soon!
    Best,
    Karen

45. so glad thatyou are ok- despite the stumble-bumble of the MD’s office.
    Hope things all smooth out soon for you.
    all the best!