1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

More Smooshiness

Here is the new sock in progress, being knit from my beloved Dream in Color Smooshy sock yarn.

977836905 f654ea5322 m More Smooshiness

Smooshy Sock 080107

The colorway is “Cool Fire.” I really love how this yarn is dyed — look at the subtle play of colors on the sole of the foot.

977839613 d28d067044 m More Smooshiness

Smooshy Sock Sole 080107

A gratuitous close-up:

977837759 ce36909e4c m More Smooshiness

Smooshy Sock Closeup 080107

Watch out! Gusset shot!

977838527 f694ba4928 m More Smooshiness

Smooshy Sock Gusset 080107
And once again I need a name for this sock pattern. Tell me in the comments — what would you name it?

I’ve nothing much to say today (can you tell?). It’s hot and I believe my brain is cooked. Therefore, I shall back away carefully from the blog. Sudden movements may cause my brain to dribble out my ears.

Lucy Sez:

977835817 1f6d70a826 m More Smooshiness

Lucy 080107

“Yeah, and don’t mess with me, either. Leave the a/c cranked when you go.”

Comments

1. nikki kurosaki says:

I think the sock looks like cotton candy.

2. Raspberry ripple!

3. How about Raspberry creamsicle?

4. strawberries ‘n cream

5. Kinda weird, but it really reminds me of a ribcage. Ribcage Socks? (Actually, the first thing I thought of is “Boy, that is an organ pink.” “Organ Socks” just does NOT sound appealing tho!)

6. Cherry Parfait!

7. Gorgeous sock! They make me think of soda so perhaps “Strawberry fizz” for the name?

I’m with Lucy on leaving the a/c cranked.

8. nikki kurosaki says:

My kids think the socks look like pepto-bismol that name might be patented.The active ingredient is BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE so you could call it Bismuth.

9. Sharon G says:

Socks: Strawberry Cream Pie
    Pattern: Snow Tires (prettiest I’ve ever seen)

10. The pattern reminds me of Barley. Barlycorn socks? Or a zipper. Zippy Socks? Or those tall gorgeous flowers on a long stalk that I cannot for the life of me remember their name and I even planted some this year — oh, I’ve got it, Gladiola Socks!

11. They make me think of fishbones, so in honour of the heat and colour of the socks what about Barbounia Socks, the Greek for Red Mullet, the most prized of fish and always eaten from the bones with the fingers!

12. I think Badger’s suggestion “Raspberry Ripple” is perfect. That is an absolutely gorgeous colorway and I love the pattern stitch.

13. Ooooh~I *scored* that color 2 Sneak Ups ago. :)
    I like the herringbone lines of the pattern, hence my suggestion:

Pink Herringbone

Will this pattern be available (for pay or for free) sometime in the future? Love, love, love it.

14. Reminds me of a tongue.

15. How about Love Lace Ladders? You love the yarn, the pattern is lacy and it looks like a ladder (or maybe my brain is cooked too?). Also reminds me of those old time military coats….don’t ask me what they are called.

16. They kind of remind me of the scales on a lizards back. So my suggestion is Pink Lizzy.

17. I love the smooshy sock yarn too, I got it in lipstick red! I think I’ll go with raspberry ripple for the name of your sock, or even just ripple.

18. Patricia says:

Oooo la la- a gusset shot!

I was also reminded of pepto bismol or cotton candy. Pink fizz.

19. PICAdrienne says:

On my monitor it appears (colorwise) more like a strawberry smoothie.

I was thinking Strawberry Ripple. Hmm, seems vaguely familiar.

20. love the colors. how about raspberry chevrons.

21. I have GOT to get me some of that! Next order… meanwhile, how about Stairway to Heaven socks? ‘Cause the yarn is heavenly, and they look like ladders or stairs? Can you be sued for that? :)

22. I had come up with Ripple, but couldn’t think of a word to add to the title. Then I saw the comments from Badger and April. I agree that “Raspberry Ripple” is perfect for these socks! You are an awesome knitter, and I really appreciate your blog. Hopefully you’ll get some heat relief soon.

23. Mary Pat says:

Yes – they are tire treads; so I think I would call them Parkway Pink.

24. I would name them Treads

25. cotton candy

26. Sock Pattern Name: Twinings…the lace looks a little ‘viney’ to me and it’s a play on the Earl Grey tea…a little something to cozy up with….

27. I would name them Fire Escape.

Although I really like the sugesstions of Raspberry Ripple and Barbounia from the other commenters above, too.

28. Smooch

29. What fun! It reminds me of corrugated cardboard, but that doesn’t suggest any good names. It also reminds me of the feather on the end of an arrow, so maybe Flèche, which is the name for that in French.

It also reminds me of those twisty cones of ice cream. Twisty? Swirly? Foster’s?

30. Wendy, I must commend your summer of socks. I’ve been lurking here for a while without posting. I once did 10 pair of socks in a year but your effort is truly amazing! Good work!

31. Juliette says:

I like Rasberry Smoosh. I also like Barbounia. So if you don’t use that for THESE socks…please keep it in mind for another pair.

32. Cardiac arrest!

33. The yarn reminds me of Candyland, but the pattern is all Chutes & Ladders!

34. I agree with nikki kurosaki — the first thing I thought of was cotton candy.

It was 104 in Central California today, but we don’t have your humidity.

I’m with Miss Lucy.

35. The color looks like cotton candy and the pattern looks like feathers, so I like Cotton Candy Feathers.

36. Wow, wow, wow, super-wow! What a wonderful pattern and color. Makes me think of pink salt water taffy (that kinda sorta tastes like Pepto-Bismol). I like a lot of these names, but Badger’s seems to describe both the color and the pattern to a “T” – RASPBERRY RIPPLE. Yep. I think that’s a good’un.

Stay cool, keep the a/c kranked to the max, drink water, relax.. don’t forget to knit!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Last July in SoCal some towns (like Woodland Hills in the SFV) had 20+ days of temps over 100. I live on the coast, but it was still doggone hot and I do not have a/c(but I do have ceiling fans). This year, it’s a bit more tame, but for us our hottest weather is to come.. in Sept/Oct and Nov. (And sometimes Dec). Ay carumba. luv.m.

37. My thought was Strawberry Smoothie! Especially the little bits of darker pink.

38. Hi Wendy,

I love the new socks.
    How about Berry Patch?
    I am right with you on the heat, I was dying yarn all day!

Caroline, the SockPixie

39. Reminds me of French Braids. Both pattern and yarn are gorgeous.

40. I immediately thought “Peppermint Twist”! :)

41. Pink Treds

42. because of the season, the gorgeous colors, the swooshieness and of course in honor of the just released Simpsons movie I think you should call this particular sock something like “Summer Squishy” or something along those lines. I need to order that woll for my own socks. I love the colorway

43. How about Candy Twist?

44. Flying Geese. All those V’s made me think of migrating birds..

45. At first the pattern reminded me of braids, so Braidberry. But then the other comments made a convincing case for tire treads, so Pink Cadillac. Lovely socks, by any name.

46. Aussies will agree that those socks look like “Iced Vo-Vo” socks to me ;)

I just love watching all your socks take shape :) I’ve not tried to knit any yet,….but I am wavering…just need a VERY easy pattern and detailed instructions!

47. It looks like parting water to me; Moses Socks? Red Sea Socks? Or, if you wanted to keep any connotations of religious reference out of it, something else that parts water…let’s see…Goodyear Aquatred socks? (er, ™, of course.)

In any event, it’s quite pretty! :-)

48. I agree with nikki in the first comment…my first thought was smooshy, sticky, pink cotton candy!

49. Especially in the closeup picture, it reminds me of the motion of strawberry taffy being pulled on a taffy pulling machine. So, Strawberry Taffy Socks ?

50. “Fire Escape” It reminds me of the fire escapes at the dorm in college. (And yes, I’m shocked I can remember that far back!)

51. L-B DP-Hands says:

My first impression is Snapdragons!

52. Lynne E. says:

I’d call the pattern “Feathers”, or possibly “Fletcher”, which means arrowmaker.

53. Pink Unicorn socks. The cables make the sock look like a bundle of unicorn horns.

54. The pattern reminds me of a flower, specifically lilies I’m not sure why.

And with the pink it makes me think of:

Blushing Lilies

or

Kissed Lilies

55. Hills of Fire
    Raspberry Parfait
    Pink Dips
    Pretty in Pink

56. Reminds me of birds. What about “Wings of Fire” or “Phoenix Sox?

57. Love the pattern and the socks . Instead of coming up with an original name, I’m going with Karen W’s suggestion in comment 13 … Pink Herringbone.

Lucy looks comfy … we know you’d never mess w/her AC.

58. How about a name that might give us some cool and refreshing thoughts — Berry Sorbet.

59. For the kid in all of us (and the sweet tooths, too), I nominate Strawberry Poptart. Pink, sweet, and a breakfast treat.

60. It must be the heat . . . Raspberry Ripple sounds like a large bowl of ice cream. So that’s my vote. Now it’s off to the freezer!

61. I also like Raspberry Ripple, Pink Begonia, Pink Watercolors.
    They are beautiful no matter what you call them.

62. You have a thing for chevrons, don’t you? I think the last couple of socks have had a chevron-style design. :) How about “Chevron Mania”? Or “Subduction Zone” (inspired by the gratuitous close-up)?

Completely off-topic: On the comment form, where it says “URL (optional”… it’s missing the closing parenthesis. Please fix. *whimper*

63. My first thought was Firefighters, because the pattern looks like a ladder, and even though they aren’t the bright red you’d expect of firefighter-related stuff, the yarn name is almost appropriate. Firefighters are pretty cool, after all.

64. Rhubarb twist

65. Dang! I guess it wasn’t just me thinking this… Berni beat me to saying it. I would call them “Phoenix socks” because with the flame like colorway and the kinda birdwing-y looking shape it just really reminds me of a flaming phoenix. I’m so disappointed I didn’t think of it first but I’m kinda glad I’m not the only one who sees that in the design.

66. Bismuth’s Route.

Pretty socks and I like the gusset on them.

67. I love the socks and the colors. I think it looks like arrows. How about “This Way Up Socks”?

68. This sock reminds me of the Guggenheim Museum. It is just so lovely. Beautiful sock.

69. knitty kamper says:

Hi Wendy,
    I’ve been reading for a while but have yet to comment. That is my favorite color pink and I think of a forest of “Pink Vines” when I see it knit up. Thanks for continuing to blog. You are my sock inspiration.

70. Cool my smooshy soul

It is a lovely sock. I have become a collector of your sock patterns now, despite not having time to knit them!

71. Kathlene in Iowa says:

I like the cotton candy choice – but maybe something with cherries in it…like cherry cotton candy.

72. Looks to me like arrows but tipsy ones. How about drunken arrows or points?

73. Berry smooshy?

74. I think the sock should be called the Corn Maiden Sock because the pattern reminds me of corn stalks.

Also will you be posting this as a free pattern?

75. ruth from p-town says:

punk-pink-plaids
    it has Alliteration and everything

76. The pattern reminds me of the very symmetrical leaves of a Mimosa tree, (which can be seen here: http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/MimosaLeaflets01.jpg , if you’re unfamiliar) and the colorway also reminds me of fluffy pink Mimosa blossoms, (image here: http://www.cherylsgardenparty.com/2004Graphics/Diary/June/mimosa.jpg), (and perhaps a little of the drink, too, maybe? if you mix the OJ with PINK champagne? maybe? okay, that part might be a stretch…), so that’s what I”d call the pattern — “Mimosa”.

Yesterday you asked about sock yarn crushes. My current crush is the Sock Hop yarn (“Blue Suede Shoes” colorway) I just got from Crown Mountain Farms. I could stare at it all day long!

77. It reminded me of wings for some reason. Like geese flying south…up down, up down. You could call them the Updown socks or just simply Wings. Very cool pattern, by the way! I want it. Now. (stomps foot)

78. Okay, I think my comment got eaten, but if not, I apologize if this is a repeat.

I’d call the pattern “Mimosa” because the pattern reminds me of the leaves of a Mimosa tree and the colorway reminds me of the flowers on that same tree. Lovely! :-)

79. New Jersey Laura says:

How does lovely Smooshy compare with silky Apple Laine? I tried the AL after your great blog review — and maybe you’ve found something even better!! Off to Loopy Ewe?!

80. Karen K. says:

Not anything to do with the color, which is lovely, but the pattern reminds me of plowed fields, furrows, ridges, and fences… Folded Furrows? Feathery Fences? Ripply Ridges?

81. Smooshed Ladders! And I’m thinking Lucy could do with a kitty hair cut. Do you ever wet her head? Miss Whiskers loves it.

82. “Watermelon Crawl”. I had some watermelon the other day that was a lively pale pink like this.

83. I was going to suggest Herringbone, but I saw that Karen W (#13) has seen that in the pattern, too, and already suggested it!

I really like the pattern…hope it’s available when you’re through!

Glynis

84. Robin Pearce says:

Looks very stylish, how about Pink Lady

85. Peppermint Paddy!

86. Peppermint pizazz

87. I think it should be called Fern Fronds.

88. What, another sock? See? This is why I didn’t even remotely consider trying to be eligible for “most socks” . . . there’s just no way I could compete! As always, these look great.

89. I immediately thought of licorice whips when I saw them, and then all of this talk about vines made me think of Red Vines (the licorice). Is it copyright/trademark infringement to name them Red Vines? Or what about Pink Licorice?

90. Stephanie says:

strawberry shortcake (like the doll not the dessert, though I love that, too) or pink lemonade

91. Strawberry Crush

92. Wendy in Cambridge says:

The new sock pattern also reminds me of wings, so I’ll say High Flying.

I’m so with Lucy on the a/c!

93. My first thought was “Salmon Bones” but that’s not very pretty sounding, so instead I say Phoenix Feathers!

94. Chic Chevrons (as in: chic [sheek] adjective, -er, -est.
    1. attractive and fashionable; stylish: a chic hat.

And..although many of the names with colors in them are charming, I’d vote for a name without a color in it – others will make this pattern in many different colors.

95. i think it looks like ribs.

96. Marianne Y says:

Your socks are gorgeous! Ladders comes to mind looking at th sock pattern, so what about something like Strawberry Lacey Ladders?

97. Marianne Y says:

Another idea would be something like Chutes and Ladders, loosely based on a playground up north. :-)

98. I vote for Raspberry Lace Columns

99. Frozen Flames

100. I second Pensguys suggestion: I see fern fronds even tho they’re pink. Maybe Painted Fern.