1. Brickless, designed by Martina Behm, knit from Mrs. Crosby Carpet Bag in the "Boston Fern" colorway on a 4.0 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Where Did the Day Go?

How is it possible for a day to pass so quickly and for me to have accomplished so little?

There must be a rift in the time-space continuum.

I was out running errands this morning and didn’t get back ’til almost noon. But my fridge is now completely Thanksgiving-ready. icon smile Where Did the Day Go?

2048581756 b16b42505f m Where Did the Day Go?

Fridge 111907

(If you go to Flickr and look at the large size of that photo, you can see that there are pre-made pie crusts in there. Please do not judge me too harshly.)

And I did do a bit of work on a new sock project:

2048582062 395e4c5ee6 m Where Did the Day Go?

Lace and Cable Sock 111907

This is my beloved Dream in Color Smooshy sock yarn in the Chinatown Apple colorway, purchased from The Loopy Ewe. The sock is being knit on a 2mm needle.

Love the Chinatown Apple colorway!

2047791569 f1ae6cfeab m Where Did the Day Go?

Chinatown Apple 111907

So, not much else to report here. I do want to thank you for your continued good wishes on the state of my health. As long as I remember not to re-arrange the furniture or start carrying loads of bricks around, I should be okay.

I have a feeling this will turn into a food blog for the rest of the week. Tomorrow I’m going to be doing something particularly shocking!

Lucy sez:

2048582304 1525f6af0c m Where Did the Day Go?

Lucy 111907

“I want no part of it!”

Comments

1. I love the Chinatown Apple colorway too! I’m using it to knit your Snapdragon socks pattern and love how it turned out on the first sock (second sock still needs to be completed)… And, glad you are continuing to feel better. Happy Thanksgiving if I don’t get around to commenting again this week! : )

2. Premade pie crust – much better than mine. 4 sitting in my freezer. My local bakery ran out last year so I wasn’t taking any chances. Enjoy all this sock knitting.

3. Your pretty Chinatown Apple colorway reminds me of your Wild Apple kit. Will we be seeing it anytime soon? I’m looking forward to your shocking blog for tomorrow.

4. Yay for pre-made pie crusts!! (No judging from me.)

5. I like pre-fab pie crusts too! Three cheers!

Nice socks! I snagged the last skein of Smooshy at a LYS when I was at a conference last week (Yarn tourism). Can’t wait to try it!

6. No judging here!
    I got some of the Chinatown Apple in the Classy. So nice!

7. Even Alton Brown (King of cooking scientifically, and with good production values) supports pre-made pie crusts. I’ve got two sitting in my freezer right now.

8. OMgosh! Shocking, with food?? Can’t wait. Pre-made pie crusts are a sign of intelligence, with a capital I! Looks like I love the Chinatown Apple colorway, too. Hmmmm, to shop or not to shop….

9. does lucy ever play with your yarn? my grandma’s cat does. i’m going to her house for thanksgiving, and i’m going to have to hide my yarn in my bag! i have cats too. but they’re outside all the time. (they get wierd after being inside for a couple of minutes :) )

10. Alice in RIchmond says:

Shocking? We went out for chinese one Thanksgiving. I wanted no part of the cooking or clean up. No one complained until there were no leftovers.

I love that colorway too.

11. If the something-shocking involves a turkey, please warn me to avert my eyes!
    Hey,Alice—join us at Liberty Valance on Thanksgiving! (but I will be baking my bourbon-laced pecan pie)

12. I love pre-made pie crusts! Such a time saver. I also love the chinatown apple colorway–I have it in the Classy yarn and am making the Mr. Greenjeans sweater from it. What a dream to knit up and what a beautiful fabric it makes!

13. Lee Cockrum says:

I so feel you on the premade pie crusts! I can make an entire thanksgiving dinner, including homemade bread and fresh cranberry sauce, two kinds of potatoes etc, all from scratch without much effort. But I can be brought to tears by a pie crust!!

14. So glad you’re feeling better. A true sign that you’re doing better is when you have to stop yourself from lifting something heavy, etc. Before your surgery you would not have thought of lifting anything … it would have hurt too much.

Love your new sock in progress. That color is beautiful.

So are we to believe that our friend Lucy has no interest in the Thanksgiving Turkey?

15. Shocking? Mmmm: casting on for a non-sock item?? Brineing a turkey?
    Three cheers for ready-made pie crusts, jarred store-bought gravy, turkey cooking bags and a food processor that can grind frozen cranberries! Four cheers for a dishwasher!

16. That Chinatown Apple is very pretty! I’m looking forward to seeing the finished socks.

Nothing wrong with pre-made piecrusts! I got some this year at Whole Foods that are hands-down, the best ones that I’ve ever tried. They are pricey but worth it.

17. Do you realize you have completed 46 pairs of socks this year??? (by my count, according to your sidebar.) Amazing! I am so impressed. Are you going for the full 52 – one pair per week?

18. anne marie in philly says:

WHAT…NO BEER?????

19. LOL My mom always does the premade pie crusts too, and apologizes for it to me. Sure, I love to make pie crust from scratch, but then, I don’t have to worry about the whole dinner!

I have loved seeing all your socks this year. They are always inspiring. (They always inspire me to buy more yarn!) I also love Smooshy, and I’m not even sure why. Maybe it’s because it’s just so smooshy. LOL

20. Something shocking? Well, the turkey looks like it’s already dead, so it can’t be what I was thinking. But, does the turkey weigh less than 10 pounds?? Watch that lifting!
    Premade crusts are a gift from above.

21. Claybustinprincess says:

Harsh, schmarsh. I’m, for the first time ever, am crutching on Aunt Sarah (Lee) for the apple pie. And if mother hadn’t already tossed a can of pumpkin my way, that one would be from the Auntie as well, but I’ll use a graham cracker crust instead. Shhhhhh don’t tell — I’m gonna pop the pie out frozen and place it nicely in one of my own pie pans. :)

22. Cathy Johnson says:

Just the Facts

I love Smooshy and appreciate your calling it “my beloved…”

Your cornbread recipe has become one of our family favorites. Keep ‘em coming.

Have a good holiday.

23. Very nice sock! Is that the Lace Diamond Chain from Walker vol. 1, or a related pattern? I’m using that stitch pattern for a sock in Regia Bamboo; the colors are a little too busy for the pattern to show up at its best, but I like it anyway.

(What? You didn’t make the pie crusts by growing and grinding your own wheat, churning your own butter, raising and butchering your own hog for lard, and mining your own salt? Gasp! ;-) )

24. Happy Thanksgiving Wendy, KOARC, and Lucy! Wendy what is the deciding factor in whether you use a size 1 or size 2 for your socks?

25. I have always found baking and cooking some what anti climatic. You get everything finished and looking great and then all these family heathens dive in gobble it up and it is gone……………It takes a long time to prepare a large meal. Now time spent knitiing is great! after you complete the project you have something to admire……………..and clean up is nil compared to a family Thanksgiving dinner!! You have a great one though and so glad you are doing so well.

26. I started a pair of toe up socks with your generic pattern and Judy’s magic cast-on. Do you use this cast-on? How many stitches do you start with? I started with 12 but the toe looks a little too small. Yours look normal so I am curious what you do. Thanks!

27. LOVE the new sock. My hubby was reading over my shoulder and even commented on how neat it was! (He’s not usually real tuned into things like that!) I certainly will not judge your pie crusts! My pies are coming from Village Inn and my Turkey and Gravy are being purchased from a caterer. Otherwise, how would I get any knitting in during the football game Thursday??????

28. Oh, that sock! You never cease to amaze me, Wendy! I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE it (of course) too!!

And don’t feel bad about the pre-made crusts Wendy. PLEASE believe me using a rolling pin is a motion you want to avoid at all costs for the time being — it would not be very comfortable for your back (or, it isn’t for mine anyway), and to be honest, I don’t think they are a bad product at all — and that is coming from someone that used to make her living as a pro-chef! ;)

I can think of a whole lot of products that are much worse — for this meal alone!

If I don’t “speak” with you again, “HAPPY TURKEY DAY” and please try not to over do it.

29. Oh, that sock! You never cease to amaze me, Wendy! I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE it (of course) too!!

If I don’t “speak” with you again, “HAPPY TURKEY DAY”! Please try not to over do it!

30. Oh, that sock! You never cease to amaze me, Wendy! I LOOOOOVVVVVEEE it (of course) too!!

If I don’t “speak” with you again, “HAPPY TURKEY DAY”! Please do not over do it!

31. Theresa in Italy says:

Nothing wrong with pre-made pie crusts. My mom (who used to teach cooking at my high school) was the one who first told me about them, and I used them religiously until I moved here. (I have since found an extremely easy pie crust recipe to make up for the lack of ready-made ones.) Can’t wait to be shocked by whatever you’ve got planned for Tuesday!

That is an extremely pretty sock and I also love the colors.

32. Wine, Diet Yoke and CoffeeMate, the essentials of life! :)

I looked at that yarn and thought, “how pretty!” D’oh! That’s cause I’m knitting with it now too! GKTA – Great Knitters Think Alike! Isn’t the color glorious? So rich!

33. Hey, those piecrusts are perfectly acceptable. At least you have the chance to put them in the pan!

34. Oooh, that yarn looks so cuddly! Beautiful colors too.

Shocking, huh? My money is also on drowning a turkey in salted water.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, KOARC and Miss Lucy!

35. Wendy wrote: “Tomorrow I’m going to be doing something particularly shocking!”

For me . . . that would be cooking!

36. Oh, that smooshy…. *swoon*

And don’t worry… I don’t make my own pie crust either.

37. Hey if my mother in law who is queen of the baking can use pre-made pie crusts, I figure it’s no holds barred for the rest of us. Looking forward to seeing what yummy delights you create!

38. So glad to hear that you are healing so well – that is just about the best news ever!
    And I think you get the “frig organizer” award of the year (wanna come over and do mine???)
    Great sock pattern too btw.
    Happy thanksgiving!

39. pre-made pie crusts are WONDERFUL. so, no judging allowed.

i love that chinatown apple colorway. it is seriously gorgeous!

40. I use the Pillsbury pre-made crustsalmost exclusively. As soon as I found out my grandma, who makes the BEST pie crusts, switched to pre-made for most things I switched too. If they are good enough for grandma they are good enough for me.

41. Yummy food and yummy sock! I can’t wait to try that sock yarn.

As someone who trained as a pastry chef, I feel compelled to offer a pro-forma push for the hand-made crusts…

…but as a practical person, I have to say the pre-made ones taste just fine. No guilt! :-D

42. I always use the pre-made pie crusts… I can do OK on filing, but have never mastered the art of pie crust. Lovely socks. what do you do with all the socks you’ve been cranking out lately? Is everyone on your list getting hand knit socks (lucky people!!!)

43. I love that colorway! You really have such a great eye for yarn! Your new pattern is really interesting, I can’t wait to see how it knits up! Have a great holiday!

44. I am behind on my blog reading and just seeing this now…

I am currently working on a pair of socks for my aunt that on the fourth attempt have finally decided what they want to be, and they have that same lace panel on them! (not the cables though, I have a little k2tog, yo thing going on instead) There must have been some serious sock knitting mojo floating around that lace pattern lately!