Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Special Saturday Post!!

Thanks for all your extremely kind comments on the Pinwheel Sweater!

Yesterday afternoon I tried it on while knitting the first sleeve, just to get some idea of how long I need to make the sleeves.I couldn’t keep the freaking thing on — it kept falling off my shoulders. The only way it will ever stay on for me is if I pin it together in the front.

The problem is the lack of shoulder shaping, of course.

My first instinct was to stuff it in my knitting bag, to be ripped out. But I slept on it. Now I can’t decide if I want to finish it or rip it out and use the yarn for something else. I’ve got some time to think about it, because I know now I will run out of yarn, and the extra I ordered hasn’t been shipped yet — it’s still marked as “pending” when I check the order online.

I took some not-great photos in the mirror. I do like the back (but had a heck of a time photographing it.

2095408820 39b122a379 m Yes . . . No?

Pinwheel Back 120807

And here’s the front.

2094637199 d9579794b8 m Yes . . . No?

Pinwheel Front 120807

So tell me . . . what do you think?

What Should I Name This New Sock Design?

View Results

loading Yes . . . No? Loading ...

Feel free to add opinions in the comments!

As you can see, Lucy thinks it’s just fine:

2095408800 d07a4392cd m Yes . . . No?

Lucy 120807

“I don’t see what the big deal is. “

Comments

1. I think that it is nice – I like how long it is from the back. It seems like it is very slimming and smooth. I can see how it would bug you with the slipping off business. However, it probably stays put more than a shawl with no sleeves.

2. I really like the edging. Think of it as a shawl with sleeves. Does that help?

3. Wendy you are a fantastic knitter, and I greatly admire your strength in opening your work for discussion. In fact, I look forward to reading you every day. That said…rip it out. It is a strange hybrid…neither a sweater nor a shawl. Wearing it will be a distraction and not comfortable.

4. I made this sweater in a wonderful green Malabrigo. I tried it on and, like you, I hated it. I finished because the yarn was soft and made me feel warm and comfortable. Each time I wear it, I get outrageous compliments. People want one just like it.

5. Deb in PA says:

Is there a way that you could run some elastic thread under the collar (where it will be hidden? You would pull it just tight enough to tighten up the shoulders a little.

Just a thought. It’s too gorgeous to rip!

Deb

6. I voted – rip it, but not because I think it’s ugly. It is kind of intriguing to look at. But, if it is a hassle to wear, you probably won’t want to wear it very much. I once finished an entire sweater for myself that looked great but I’d miscalculated something and it didn’t wear great. I never did wear the thing despite all the work I’d put into it. I had to pass it on to someone else (who didn’t have the same wearing concerns) because it felt like it was taunting me every time I looked at. (grumbles at smart-mouthed sweater!)

7. I love the pattern and was going to try the sweater but then read some other comments about the fact that it didn’t stay on very well. I just don’t have the patience for garments that don’t stay on without a lot of fussing. I haven’t totally ruled out making it yet but have moved it way down on the list of things to be made.

8. Sigh. I’m undecided. I’ve been watching your progress on this because I just love the look of the finished garment. It’s one of the loveliest [sweaters? cardigans? shawligans? shenannigans!] I’ve seen in awhile. But in spite of it’s loveliness, if you’ll never wear it, well, hmmm… it’s going to be hard to finish if you think that way. You could always give it to someone, but will that person then have the same problem? I like the first commenters’ thoughts to ‘think’ of it as a shawl, then you may not suffer so much in its wearing. I’d probably finish it and wear it to gauge the response of people who see it (and admire it?) and also see how I Iike having it available on the back of my chair or wearing it hither and yon.
    I’ve been watching this project as you make it because I downloaded the free pattern (thanks for the link), but haven’t yet decided on a yarn for it. Now I don’t know if I’ll make it at all. Although I daresay the finished product is gorgeous. I’m going to have to think about adding shoulder shaping to it. There *must* be a way to alter it in your case as well. I wonder if adding tiny darts (sewn in?) would help or if they’d be too noticable and unattractive.
    Whichever way you go, be comfortable with the decision (I know you will be). I’m inclined to say – finish it. It really is lovely and your *knit* edging is genius. (I downloaded that too – you’re a lifesaver – I can’t imagine crocheting all that, if I could even crochet…)

9. Would a shawl pin keep it closed enough? That was a lot of work, and the edging is beautiful. And if the yarn is on it’s way…someday….

10. Dear Wendy,
    That’s what beautiful pins are for! It looks great, and since you have a sitting down job, it seems like it would be a wonderfully cozy shennanigan(love that, Susan) to have draped around you. I would only rip if upon long-term wearing, you find yourself continually hitching it up. Try before you rip: it is too lovely to be hasty about.

11. Wendy aka Helena Handbasket says:

Being a redhead myself, with hair color very similar to yours, I love the color of this yarn on you. Don’t rip, don’t rip, don’t rip. Maybe this is a wonderful opportunity to buy yourself a beautiful shawl/wrap/sweater brooch. And if you still can’t swallow the way the sweater fits you — gift, gift, gift.

12. It does look cute. But, I do understand how you feel. If it does not stay on your shoulder without a pin, it is not as covenient as it looks.

Well, I think I would keep it for my future reference so that I may be able to come up with new idea to make it stay on my shoulder…….. Hope you invent one for us, Wendy !!

13. I love the sweater tremendously but would rip it out if it would bother me to wear it. I do think it looks good pinned in front.

14. I think longer sleeves will help considerably. If you have at least a 3/4 length on the sleeves, I think it will balance out the front and give the whole thing a better sense of proportion. It looks really strange without sleeves. The problem with knitting unconventional sweaters is that until they are finished, they look really, really strange.

My feeling is that, since you are fairly close to the end, it would be worth your time to go ahead and see what the finished product looks like before deciding whether or not to rip. On the other hand, if your poll isn’t just a gut check but rather a real lack of decision on how it looks, I’d rip because that means you’ll never wear it.

15. Hmm. That’s a tough one. I think you should finish it and give it a it of time to reevalute how you feel. I agree that you have a sitting down job, so if you could pin it to keep it on, it’d be a lovely way to stay warm! BUT if you do finish and still feel undecided, I agree with other commenters, rip it because more than likely you won’t wear it anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

16. Sheila in Ohio says:

Frankly, I love it. I love the color, the fit, and how it looks on you. However, the fact that you’ve even considered ripping is probably a good indication is will happen.

17. Okay, I had to vote rip it, but I don’t think it is ugly…au contraire…I like the design and colours. It would just drive me crazy to have to keep it pinned so it wouldn’t slip off my shoulders (and there wouldn’t be enough fabric in front for me).
    How about some other solutions. Carefully, remove edging so you wouldn’t have to reknit (move to a circular needle?), make the circle larger and some sort of reverse attach method. Knit the last row of the circle and attach to the edging. You would have to add some more edging but it would eliminate a lot of work.
    Hope this gives you some ideas.

18. Kimberly Bradley says:

I hate to say this, because I’ve been watching the progress with interest and really like the edging, but–it looks like you’re wearing a tablecloth. I’d rip.

19. I agree with Della and Nan. If it’s not comfortable to wear you’ll never wear it. While you knit beautifully; it looks a little frumpy. I’d rip it. I bet you can come up with something wonderful to make with the yarn.

20. Keep it!! With a shawl pin it should stay up well enuff. If after wearing it you still dont like it I’m sure there would be plenty of people willing to buy it from you!! Just Dont Rip it!! Wait for the yarn to come in and finish the sleeves, with the sleeves it may just stay up the way you want.

21. it looks like it was fun to knit. sometimes the process is good, but the finished product is not. i say use the yarn for something that can be both. ๐Ÿ™‚

22. I said rip it not because it is ugly, but because if you have doubts now you will probably never wear it. I have tons of knitted objects in drawers that were iffy. I never wear them, I just keep going back to the things I really love.

The color is gorgeous and the knitted edging is beautiful so if you decide to keep it I am sure you will receive a lot of compliments on it. The question is will you enjoy wearing it!

23. I said keep it. I really like how it looks pinned. But if that isn’t how you originally intended to wear it, I could see ripping it.

24. do you intend to keep it buttoned all the time to keep it from falling off? if not then rip it out, use the yarn for something you will enjoy,

25. anne marie in philly says:

the back photo sold me that it IS worth keeping!

and I like the shawl pin on the front – it’s classy.

have a warm weekend!

26. Please, please – as one who was in your same dilemma earlier this year… finish it! I made the same sweater, lighter yarn, knitted with crocheted edging – I too was disappointed when finished for the very same reason as you. I had to keep adjusting it. I wore it once, got a million compliments at work. I still hated it just because of the adjusting. I hid it back in my closet. I took it out and used it for our guild’s knitting display at a local fair. Many times people asked to purchase it. I figured they just didn’t see what a pain it really was. Once winter hit, I put it on again, this time with a nice t-shirt… and I love it now! I think once I recognized the properties of this sweater and wore it with that intent, I wasn’t fighting it. If it had more after the sleeves so that I could button it, that would be better, but now I think of it as a lovely long shrug.

Finish it, lay it aside – you will love it again. I promise! If not, send it to me ๐Ÿ™‚

27. What we think is irrelevant, but I voted to keep it. The important question is whether or not it is comfortable – will you wear it? There’s no point in finishing if you don’t like the way it feels. Having to pin it closed is no big deal.

28. add a button and a loop … or frog it. One or the other are the only possibilities. If you have to hunt up a pin everytime you won’t wear it. If it buttons closed you will…
    It is gorgeous from the back, and from the front closed, but if you can’t make it wearable easily, trash it. life is too short for unwearables

29. If you don’t love it and it will make you crazy to wear it, then I think you need to frog it. For something with a similar look (circles) and more structure, have you looked at the sunrise circle jacket? I too voted to rip it. I don’t think it is ugly, but wonder if you will have to fiddle with it too much to wear it as often as you want to. Your blog is a place where I lurk often and have been for a while – -you have made many other sweaters and shawls that are much more flattering for your body type.

30. I think it looks nice pinned at the front, but I agree with the try it out camp. I always love the idea of knitting these pinwheel sweaters but don’t like the way they wear generally. You need to get the KOARC to take a pic so we can see how it hangs when you’re not doing contortions to do the self-portrait!

31. I vote for adding a pretty shawl pin or button, but only if you’ll wear it like that. Otherwise, rip rip rip.

32. I think your edging is the most beautiful part of the sweater, and I loved the look of it pinned becasue it looks like a shawl. But if you don’t want to wear it, there is no reason to keep it. I just don’t think the sleeves being finished will make any difference to it staying on. If you aren’t liking it, Rip it.

33. I think that sweater is so interesting. And I love how it is pinned in the front. If you don’t want it, I know someone in Illinois who will take it–me! ๐Ÿ™‚

34. The shawl-collar and swoopy fronts are just gorgeous. Keep it for special occasions (when you have to behave yourself anyway). And yes, to echo the comments above, a shawl pin will likely help the fit & enhance the whole look.

35. Wendy I notice you are quite tiny in the shoulder department. Could you possibly somehow add shoulder pads to the sweater? The colour is fab and looks great with your hair ๐Ÿ™‚

36. I think it’s very pretty, but here’s the thing- Will you be ok wearing it if it keeps falling off your shoulders? I crocheted a similarly shaped garment and pinning it in the front does not keep it from slipping off my shoulders. But I love how it looks enough that I don’t mind struggling with it. If you love it enough not to mind, I say keep going. If not, maybe it should be pond scum on the frog pond? ๐Ÿ˜‰ My $0.02 from work on a Saturday morning…

37. Another cote to keep going — at least until the sleeves are done. I think it looks marvelous pinned, and I wonder if perhaps it might sit better if you turned it upside-down after all.

38. think it looks great pinned. it’s pretty. i’d finish it.

39. I say if you’ll wear it with a pin/button, keep it. If it’s going to sit at the bottom of a drawer somewhere and frustrate you each time you chance to see it, rip.

40. I voted to rip it, even though it’s very pretty! The shoulder shaping does affect it. Can you rip to that point and fix it or would that be too much? Maybe you could gift it to someone that could use it or donate it?

41. Similar story for me! I made the Vogue Twisted float shrug and ended up slicing a wedge out at each shoulder and stitching the loose ends back together to make my own shoulder shaping. Then I felted the whole thing because it was just so huge, and now I can wear it without fussing over it all the time.

I think yours has an advantage in fitting you well already! The pic from the back is just beautiful, and your collar lays so nicely! The trick might be finding the right thing to wear under it. ? All the best with your decision! Lucy probably thinks it is another Kitty Pi!!

42. The sweater looks great. Perhaps if you pinned it up a little higher it would help to keep it on?

43. I’m undecided. It’s lovely, but I hate clothes that require fussing and I’m sure I’d be unpinning/repinning every 10 minutes.

You’re so far along that I think it’s worth finishing and wearing a few times, as others have suggested.

I wonder if a thin shoulder pad would make up for the lack of shoulder shaping?

44. I say keep it. It might stay on better after the sleeves are done, and I don’t think pinning it is too much of a hassle, but that’s just me. (I’d also pin it a bit lower, but again, personal preference.)

45. I think it’s lovely, but I voted to Rip It. You aren’t comfortable in it and it isn’t flattering on adult females. I made my toddler a pinwheel sweater but it doesn’t stay on very well at all and just doesn’t look as comfortable as normal cardigans.

I love the knitted lace edging, however and the color is great. I think you should make a nice lacy cardi instead. ๐Ÿ™‚

46. I love the way it looks from the front with the pin! That edging is really gorgeous. BUT, if it keeps falling off your shoulders then I’d say rip it out. I guess it depends on how well it stays on if you have that pin there! Does it slip and slide when you walk around and do normal everyday things?

47. Sue Cawley says:

Hi, Wendy. The yarn is gorgeous, your knitting is terrific (I especially like the lace), but you should rip it and make a regular sweater with the same lace edging. That way you would have really nice sweater that you would wear. I’ve always steered clear of sweaters constructed this way because I believed they would never be comfortable.

48. It’s gorgeous, especially the edging — too lovely to destroy. I say finish it, try it, and if you still don’t want it, offer it as a prize or auction it for charity. There’s be LOTS of interest.

49. Back is nice. Good concept but front is not flattering and it would be annoying to wear. I think if you finish it ,it will be a back of the drawer sweater. sorry.

50. It’s a cute concept, but I think EZ did it better with the Pi Shawl. I know that slipping off the shoulder thing would drive me absolutely batty and I would never wear it. And I would regard it with loathing because it took so much of my time and yarn. But that’s just me.

51. I was one of the “rip it, it’s ugly” votes. I don’t think it’s actually ugly, in fact, it’s quite cute and you’ve done an beautiful job of knitting it. However, if it doesn’t really fit, and I know it would bug me to have it slipping off all the time (I need to fix a couple of my own sweaters that aren’t quite right too, actually) I would at least rip back to the problem area and fix that.

Good luck!

52. Wendy – two years ago I knit the Anne Modesitt circular sweater on the cover of VK. It has a similar shape. When I finished it – I realized why the model was holding it closed. But I get so many compliments on it. So – yes – keep it – just use a pretty shawl pin. Unusual is good!

53. Isabella Casser says:

your knitting is beautiful as is the color, however fit is very important; if it doesnt fit you will never wear it. could you try sewing in a dart sort of thing at the shoulders? there is a pinwheel sweater KAL perhaps some other knitter has solved the problem

either give it to Lucy for a blanket or use the yarn for something else

54. I personally would keep it, I like the way it looks… but if you don’t like it, you should rip it and make something you will like. After all, yarn isn’t free, and you don’t want to waste it on something you’re never going to wear. It’s beautiful though!

55. Dr. Jackie says:

I like it. With the pin. I would hate to have you rip out all that work! Just my 2 cents…for what it’s worth.

56. I think it looks great! Very pretty!

57. Although I voted undecided, I think it’s really cute! As others have said, you’re so close to finishing, it would be silly not to. It looks lovely with a shawl pin (this could be a good thing–you could add to your shawl pin collection). Perhaps when the sleeves are complete it will add enough substance to make it stay in place better and not be so shifty. BUT, if you think you’ll not wear it, maybe ripping is the solution. That yarn is too gorgeous not to be made into a wearable sweater. Good Luck! ๐Ÿ˜€

58. Don’t even think of ripping out. The sweater is beautiful and looks great on you. Maybe you could think of making the sleeves not too large. Bye valeria

59. I couldnt vote because my thoughts didnt fit in any column. Yes it is beautiful and I love how it looks, especially in the front, with pinning does it stay on? Are you happy with how the neckline looks? Does it stay on when you pin it? Would maybe another top help it stay in place? If the answer to any of those are NO, then I say rip it out. You don’t want to be fiddling with your clothes all day long.

60. You might as well rip it, because (1) the back is far too long, and it cups under your buttocks; and (2) the drop-shoulder portion already extends practically to your elbows (even assuming that the garment is placed unevenly on your shoulders in the second photo). Adding very short sleeves isn’t going to improve the shoulder fit at all–it will only add more weight to pull the garment off your shoulders. If it were me, I’d probably finish it, and add it to the pile of sweaters that I’ll never wear, not even once. (These days, I don’t even bother with patterns that look like they would be “fun to knit”, because they nearly always end up on that pile!) It’s too bad, because I love your edging!

BTW, I was pleased to hear that Lucy is still a svelte eight pounds. She is a small cat, isn’t she? A very beautiful one, of course.

61. Wendy, I’m in the midst of knitting the same sweater in a very different yarn (Plymouth Alpaca Fiesta), and what I decided to do is to suspend knitting on the body until I make sure I have enough for the sleeves, then continue with the body far beyond the circumference that the pattern original suggests. (This sweater seems never to end, by the way, because of this decision.)

The photos show that the back of the sweater in stealing fabric from the neckline (upper back) and bust. There’s a sewer’s trick that you might want to know: to find out where you need to let out a garment, you look at where the wrinkles point when it’s worn. That pointed-to area is where the problem lies. Notice how the neckline in the back view photo points side-to-side? There’s not enough width there. The lack of width is also the problem with the front. It prevents the garment from closing gracefully over your bust, in spite of the gorgeous edging.

I was concerned I would run into the same issue, so the plan is to knit the circle much, much bigger than stated in the pattern and let the excess drape.

You’ve done such a beautiful job – as you always do – that I’m reluctant to type this, but I’d suggest you rip it back to the edging and continue for additional rounds until the rows prior to the edging meet at center front. That will give you the additional back neckline height you need and will produce a much more flattering front that is relaxed enough to stay in place without anchoring with a pin.

It just goes to show you that one size doesn’t fit all of us, me included.

62. I love it. It is gorgeous. As long as it is pinned, it seems to do fine. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Melissa

63. Being overstimulated and surrounded by children at the moment, I can’t skim the comments… but it occurs to me that either another toggle button up higher might give the top just enough more support and structure to keep it from doing the off-the-shoulder look.

I do love the construction and the color is beautiful for you – I think it can be salvaged!

64. I dunno – I love the back, but the front is kind of blah, like you wrapped a round tablecloth around yourself. The color is great, love the pattern, but I just don’t like the drape. It would be an easy cardi for the oh-so-cold office, though.

65. I would rip it. Not because it’s ugly—but because the yarn is so dear and it belongs in a garment you will enjoy wearing and get your money/time out of. I knit a plain cardigan with some dark green Peace Fleece last year, and every time I wear it, I notice something new to hate about it. I do like the yarn and the matching buttons I bought, so I’m going to frog it and make something that will be comfortable and cozy to wear. I love the way Peace Fleece blooms and gets so soft and fuzzy after it’s washed, and I want this sweater to be something I really love to wear.

66. I love it! Love it! A shawl pin at front, and it’s perfect!

67. I really like it — it’s very pretty. It might not be a cardigan you’d wear to work, because it might drive you crazy, fiddling with it for 8+ hours, but perhaps for a shorter and more formal occasion where pinning it closed would be elegant, and you’d only have to wear it for a few hours — an event like a wedding or party where you’re standing quite a bit. (I would think sitting in it might exacerbate the shoulder-sliding problem, but that’s just a guess). Does it feel fairly secure once it’s pinned closed at the top? It’s not a bad look at all.

It would be a shame to rip it out before you have seen how it looks with sleeves, which I think will make it all the more elegant.

I personally like the idea of a shawl with sleeves….

68. I like it a lot and that surprised me because several of these kinds of circular garments I haven’t liked.

I think it may be because the lace edging is relatively wide but not at all fussy. I think longer (3/4?) sleeves rather than shorter would be good. The collar part of it is especially lovely on you.

So yes, finish it and find a fancy occasion to wear it in public!

69. Looks great with a pin, very flattering, the edging is lovely…what’s the question??

70. I think it really does look nice. I understand the issue of not staying on the shoulders….I have sloped shoulders and have that issue with everything. But, the shawl pin is perfect and it has that off-the-shoulder-look as if you made it that way. I say keep it. I bet there will be bunches of gals casting on wanting one just like it.

Give Lucy some lovin’s from me.

71. It’s a bit long in the back for my personal tastes, but I adore the way the front looks pinned, how the edging drapes shawl-like over the shoulders.

72. Keep it….this seems like a really good opportunity for a new shawl pin…

73. I would rip it out, I think it looks…sort of like a bathrobe. But it’s not something I would ever wear anyway, so you could take my opinion with a grain of salt. ๐Ÿ™‚

74. Cathy Johnson says:

I like the yarn, the color, the pattern, the edging, but really do not like the sweater. To be honest, you may end up looking as if you are wearing one of my grandma’s doilies. Rip it if you don’t like it at this point, because it probably won’t grow on you. Hope I wasn’t too direct; I admire your work and words very much and I love Lucy.

75. I like the way it looks as it is shown from the front view, and I didn’t notice any “cupping” in the back view (but maybe didn’t look close enough). As to the lack of shoulder shaping, I know as a clothing seamstress, sometimes the lack of shaping in sewn garments can cause the same problem, and one of the solutions I use is to buy a small packet of seam tape in the appropriate color, and stitch a piece of the length I want the shoulder to be to the underside of the shoulder seam (or in lieu of a seam, across the back under the color to the shoulder region), and this holds the fabric (or knitting) in place with no ability to stretch and slide off my shoulders. Perhaps something like this would work in this situation. You’ll need someone to assist you in pinning the tape to the inside (you put it on wrongside out) so it will match the area you want stabilized), but once its pinned in place, you can just hand-tack it to your sweater with matching thread. I’d hate to see you rip out such a pretty bit of work, and although Lucy is a worthy recipient of such a pretty “bedcover”, it doesn’t match her eyes, so that wouldn’t work. Good luck!

76. Is there a way to run a pretty ribbon through one of the rows of lace, so you could gather it in a little and then tie it in the front? It looks great from the back but I see what you mean about the front being a little on the loose side.

77. I think it’s really attractive and interesting. I also agree with another commenter that it’s like a shawl with sleeves, and could be used that way.
    It’s an opportunity to use your shawl pin collection, and add to your shawl pin collection. It’s a very trendy look as well, with the raised collar. I think you’ll be really happy with it when you start to use it and see how dressy it looks, and how it has a range of usefulness. I think that if you stop thinking of it as a cardigan, but rather as a shawl or shrug or even a new category/genre, you’ll stop expecting it to act as a cardigan. Many cardigans require that we keep them buttoned or fastened for best look and best usage. Enjoy it. (Now I hope that the additional yarn arrives soon, and in the correct dye lot!!

78. I would rip. It reminds me of a tablecloth, and if it is not comfortable to wear, re-use the beautiful yarn in a user friendly sweater.

79. I REALLY like it. It’s like a shawl with sleeves sorta. I think that a pretty pin on the front will work – and look – wonderfully.

80. Keep It. Short Sleaves For spring or over a turtle neck type shirt. Now I know what my next project will be.

81. Maybe pull the collar up closer to your neck to help it stay on?

It is really cute pinned though.

82. I think it’s adorable on — and I was not sure I was going to like it.

I think it would be a sin to rip it after all that work — if you don’t like it when you’re finished with it, I volunteer to give it a great home — I would take EXTREMELY good care of it forever and ever — I promise ::gg:: And promise to bathe it only in your favorite wool wash ๐Ÿ™‚ So, that is another option for you should you hate it when you’re finished….

I don’t know how you could ever consider ripping something you’ve put so many stitches in to. I would spend weeks crying if I ever did! Is that something that comes with more experience, perhaps? I see more experienced knitters speak of this in their blogs and all I can do is cringe!

83. I think it looks lovely pinned in the front and had it in my head that that’s how it was going to close anyway. But if you won’t wear it like that, may as well frog away, at least you got the pleasure of knitting it in the first place!

84. Marianne Y says:

I do think it is cute, if you can get the yarn to finish the second sleeve. Or, you could rip out the first sleeve, and figure out a way to knit the two sleeves at once, putting in a second color, as color blocking (I think that’s the term).

I did not have time to read all of the comments above, so if this part is a duplicate, I’m sorry. Anyway, I wanted to suggest that you buy one of those clasps, that come in a variety of sizes, like for some celtic items. If you need more information, I can look for some for you. But, I have seen them on websites that have celtic buttons, etc. ๐Ÿ™‚ I would do that rather than use a pin, but that is just me.

85. Hard to tell if it’s going to be really baggy in back. I like the color and edging though. Does the shawl pin solve the sliding off problem or is it still fiddly even with a closure? Still flddly would change my vote from Undecided to Rip.

86. “Cute” undermines the real beauty of this sweater-cum-shawl. Let it keep you warm and looking beautiful, at the office or out with friends. It’s really amazing.

87. I voted for ripping, but not because it’s ugly. It’s beautiful. But “it’s wearing you.” This is what we say in my family when a garment is stunning, but doesn’t really flatter or ‘support’ the wearer. Instead, it flaunts itself. Often these sorts of garments demand to be worn in a certain way that is not comfortable for the wearer. Just my 2 cents; hope it helps.

88. I voted to rip it because I thought it unflattering to you. That being said, others have commented and said that they had the same issues but that they get compliments whenever they wear it so now I am not so certain. Maybe it just needs the sleeves to balance it. Follow your instincts, they are the only opinions that count.

89. It’s cute. It’s a shrug.

90. I voted for “rip,” but I have to add that I don’t think it’s ugly…I just don’t think it’s very flattering on you and that you can make something that will do a much better job of highlighting your assets. Not that I have any great ideas what that might be, but you probably do.

91. I voted for rip but not because it’s ugly. But because, you’ll never wear it if it doesn’t fit/sit properly. I have one sweater that’s too big in the neck and I never wear it because when I do, I’m constanty tugging at it to keep it on. I knit a second sweater using a similar pattern and I wear it all the time because it fits well.

92. I have a sweater like yours, only purchased, not hand knit. I think you’ll find that once the sleeves are in, they will help to keep the sweater on. It also depends what you wear underneath. A silky top? The sweater’s gonna be all over the place. But a cute tee with some “grip” in the fabric? That will help to keep the sweater in place, too. I say finish it, you almost have anyway, then give it a try. Then if you’re still dissatisfied, rip or give it away.

93. I think it’s adorable and you should definitely keep going with it. Heck if you hate it when it’s done…just send it my way, I’ll wear it with pride! ๐Ÿ™‚ (how’s that for shameless?!)

94. I am really undecided. I can see it as a sweater where it is off the shoulders, but not sure how that would work with the sleeves you put in.

I guess the big thing is… will you be happy with it? If not rip away baby.

Hugs!!!!!

95. I love it. Surely it will stay on better when it’s got the weight of both sleeves completed to help. I love the pretty style and interesting construction. Might just have to add it to my queue on Ravelry.

96. Barbara-Kay says:

Oh, do keep it! It looks great pinned shut – a shawl pin opportunity! I don’t think I would care for it undone if it WOULD stay on: the closing adds gracefulness.

97. I loved the sweater/shawl when I 1st saw the pix of it, but I did wonder about it being fitted enough to stay on. I voted keep it because it’s so pretty, but you probably should decide based on how it makes you feel – if you feel beautiful in it you’ll wear it a lot, if you feel twitchy & weird in it you’ll take a pass as long as there any thing else to put on. But PLEASE don’t frog it, if you don’t know anyone who would like it, I sure would!

98. Teresa (NC) says:

For what its worth, I think a nice pin for the front is all that is needed. I say keep it. I think its flattering on you and lovely work.
    If you still have trouble keeping it on your shoulders after you finish the sleeves and with the pin, then I say F.R.O.G. it.

99. When you think about it, our bodies are not shaped like a table so getting a circular piece of fabric to wrap around the body and fit like a cardigan is going to be problematic. What happens, unless you fold a circle exactly in half, is that the part that goes around your shoulders is narrower than the part that goes around your bust and worse yet, than the part that goes around your waist. Take a tape measure and wrap it around your shoulders and you’ll find that your circumference at the shoulder is larger than your bust measurement. And I’m sure your waist is smaller than your bust. It would probably stay on better if it were significantly bigger in diameter to accomodate your shoulder circumference but then you would have a big wad of extra fabric in the waist area. It may be an interesting concept but it just doesn’t work in reality.
    I’m sorry, but whenever I see one of these I have a vision of Carol Burnett in her Gone With the Wind curtain outfit compete with curtain rods.

100. Oh please don’t rip it out! It looks great on you when it’s pinned in the front. I really really.. really like it.