1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Dear Ann and Kay

I am rising to your challenge in the The Grandma Mabel Memorial Recipe Box Show & Tell Contest.

2155956682 ed97982340 m Dear Ann and Kay

Recipe Binder 010108

Behold, the recipe binder that belonged to my paternal grandmother, Ingrid Johnson. It has recipes in both Swedish and English, some handwritten by Grandma, some cut from magazines and newspapers.

2155957048 273b743d4a m Dear Ann and Kay

Recipes 010108

And some typed on a Swedish typewriter.

2155957308 82904d739a m Dear Ann and Kay

Typed Recipes 010108

And here is one of her recipes from that binder.

Norwegian Butter Cookies

Cream 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until very light. Sift 2 cups cake flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and add gradually. Add 1/3 cup ground unblanched almonds and mix well. Chill overnight. Shape into 1/2-inch balls and garnish with a piece of candied fruit or peel. Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

But wait! There’s more!

2155160091 46649642f1 m Dear Ann and Kay

Prize Cookbook 010108

This is a cookbook, published in 1929, from my birthplace, Worcester, Massachusetts. It was sent to me by a reader (Hi Kate!) a couple of years ago. It’s a compilation of prize-winning recipes sent into the local newspaper, the Worcester Evening Post. Every recipe has the name of person who sent it in, along with her address.

When I received it, I flipped it open at random and on the page it opened to, I found a recipe that was sent in by my maternal grandmother, Trudy Audette.

2155160287 93f76498ce m Dear Ann and Kay

Prize Cookbook Recipe 010108

Freaky, eh?

Do I get extra credit for this?

Love, Wendy

A Dog in Need

There’s a dog named Phoebe who is undergoing some serious medical stuff after a terrible accident — you can read about her here.

The vet and clinic have generously donated time and expertise, but this poor dog’s recovery will be expensive and has drained their available resources. There’s a Paypal button on the blog entry I’ve linked to above. If you have a few extra bucks, please consider donating.

Rabbitch has posted about this situation far more eloquently than I, here.

Happy New Year!

2155956056 dec3f679f7 m Dear Ann and Kay

New Year 010108

Lucy, the KOARC, and I had a nice quiet New Year celebration at home last night. We had champagne, Lucy had some ‘nip, and a good time was had by all!

2155955604 4aa4f8046e m Dear Ann and Kay

Lucy 0n Nip 010108

Lucy may have had a bit too much of the catnip, for here is where I found her this afternoon:

2155159731 ba83fa1bea m Dear Ann and Kay

Lucy Morning After 010108

Asleep, with her face in a trash bag.

The indignity!

Comments

1. Janice Dager says:

Your recipe for the cookies looks a lot like the cookie my grandma made, which we have always called Glazed Almond Cookies. In Grandma’s recipe, the cookies are glazed with a little beaten egg white, which helps hold the piece of candied cherry or blanched almond on the cookie. I have never seen the recipe any place else. Grandma was completely German, by the way. My sisters and I always say this is the cookie that “makes it Christmas.” Thanks for bringing back a really good memory!

2. pat wiczulis says:

Happy New Year to you as well. I need to pull out some of the old Hungarian Recipe books I have. You have inspired us to do that. Poor Lucy, appears to be hung over. Keep letting people know about the poor animals out there that need our help. On Halloween I poor little tabby just 5 months old was found in a ditch near my work. Apparently the tail had been snapped off and then the tiny thing thrown out into the ditch. Dehydrated, wormy, flea infested and filled with bone fragments from the tail he made his way to my workplace, my car, and of course my arms and heart as well. Now 2 months later, the ornery little thing is happy, hearlthy and a big part of our family. He is gentle, trusting and oh so loving. We have gotten back more than any money we put into him. Help these animals, they need us .

3. Poor Lucy–that’s hilarious!

4. Pumpkin said to tell Lucy, Just say NO! :)

Happy New Year Wendy!

PS – what’s in your champagne?

5. Something about Lucy’s post makes me think of the old song that ends:
    “As I lay there in the gutter, thinking thoughts I could not utter,
    A lady passing by was heard to say,
    ‘You can tell someone who boozes by the company he chooses.’
    And the pig got up and slowly walked away.”
    Sounds like a good time was had by all…..
    Thanks for sharing the recipes! Cool books.

6. I live in Worcester- never heard of the paper you mention. Now, I’ve only been here about 2 years, so it may have folded before I got here. But the city is still a pretty interesting place. My husband & I spent NYE at First Night- in it’s 26th year in Worcester. The city puts on a pretty good show.

7. There’s always a connection to Worcester (I don’t have this particular one in the ones I’ve accumulated from family)- thanks for posting the old cookbook recipe!

8. Alice in RIchmond says:

Oh! Is that a cat hangover?

9. Lucy, maybe you need to give up catnip … just sayin’, “trash bag, just not a pretty sight for a sweet girl like you”.

The recipe books are interesting. I love the color of the green/acqua book. There’s something about that color that makes me think of the past.

Thanks for letting us know about Phoebe. The power of the blog & the knitting community is sure to help her. My furry family & I contributed & we will keep our fingers & paws crossed for a quick recovery for Phoebe & her Dad.

10. Shirley, in PA says:

I’m glad you have recovered from your surgery and can enjoy life and knitting again. Thanks for writing about Phoebe. My dogs sent in a donation, and sincerely hope they catch and incarcerate the idiot who did this.

11. Happy New Year! and Happy Birthday! (for tomorrow) I’m not sure if you’re heading back to work, I just hope you have a wonderfully relaxing birthday. I look forward to seeing what is next on your needles.

12. Ann in CT says:

Happy New Year! and best wishes for a great year.

13. Thank you for posting about Phoebe. Donation made. Prayers ongoing.

14. Thanks for the link, Wendy. Poor little critters deserve love, not maltreatment.

And poor Lucy! Oh my gosh – she needs some “hair of the dog” I do believe.

Happy 2008!

15. takk! I’m squinting at the frasvafflor photo and thinking I should make some cardamom waffles…nummy!

16. You produced more than one FO per week this year! Wow!!

17. Happy New Year! I hope this year is pain free!

18. Happy New Year to all! Thanks for sharing your yummy heritage. Hope Lucy is recovering, jeeze, that totally blew my image of her
    ;-)

19. I’m glad Lucy wasn’t driving … !

Thanks for the info about Phoebe, I can’t help much, but I can send something. Then I’ll go and hug my cats who are all safe downstairs …

Hope 2008 treats you well!

20. Poor Phoebe! Chappy and I are heading over there RIGHT NOW.

21. The butter cookies recipe is exactly the same as the one my grandma gave me.
    We are from Colombia South America but the Franciscan nuns where the ones that owned the schools we were educated in. Most of the nuns came from Sweden. My recipe is exactly the same minus the nuts. They are not as readily available in the tropics as they are here. Go figure!

22. Hi Wendy, I sent my donation via Paypay the site ask to state that is was sent…due to my limited computer knowledge I was unable to accompulish this tast. I do hope the funds went to the approiate people. Thanks for passing the word along. I hope we will be hearing very soon of a full recovery.
    Happy New Year!

23. Oh Lucy honey…. been there~done that!

24. Thanks for telling folks about Phoebe and Dr. Mel. My 2 dogs and 3 cats sent him a donation yesterday after reading about Phoebe in Rabbitch’s blog. You have such a wide and generous readership that I feel certain Dr. Mel’s pet assistance fund will get the replenishment it needs.

Lucy: if you aren’t face down in the trash bag the next morning, you weren’t having [enough] fun. Well done, kitty!

25. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Oh, Lucy! Good thing you were celebrating at home!

My kitty and I sent a donation for Phoebe and are hoping that she and her owner will be completely well soon.

26. Poor Lucy must be mortified that you took a picture of her in that predicament!!

27. Hi Wendy: Thanks for the heads up about Phoebe. Contribution sent a few minutes ago. I am mortified for poor Lucy! A kitty with her pedigree with her head in a green garbage bag; why it doesn’t do anything for her beautiful blue eyes!

28. Hey Wendy! Coming out of lurkdom to ask a question. After a year-and-a-half of wanting to do a sock with your simple lace rib leg, as in the Spirit Trail socks, I am finally doing it! I now have a whole four pairs of socks done! Sadly, the pair I made for my daughter, she has already outgrown. Kids’ feet grow so fast!

My question is, what kind of a bind-off did you use? And do you do a k2, p2 ribbing at the top for a bit before bind off, or is the lacy ribbing enough to keep it up? I looked for pics of the top of the sock, but didn’t find any.

Thanks!
    Betty J

29. anne marie in philly says:

happy 2008 to all!

let me be the second to wish you a happy happy birthday!

poor lucy; all the excitement of new years and momma’s birthday were just too much for her. steven and meredith feel her pain.

have printed out the recipe for the butter cookies; treasure those cookbooks!

30. The Worcester cookbook is too funny. I’m originarily a Michigander who relocated to Worcester 2 years ago. It’s not been the right fit for me, and my 2008 resolution is to relocate to DC, an area I’ve always loved. I’m very sure that Worcester was a much different place back in 1929. Happy New Year!

31. Thanks so much for the link to Mel’s and to my posts. The donations have been pouring in and all of the costs of the first treatment and much of the second has been covered. Phoebe will be well taken care of in the new year!

You rock.

32. Happy New Year to you and yours’ too! :-)

33. Oh, poor Lucy — she’s going to be pretty upset with you when she realizes you’ve posted that less than flattering aftermath shot !

Happy New Year to all of you again too!

34. HI Wendy~~

I hope your having a great time on your NEW YEARS day!
    Hope eveythings goes will and big luck wish your best~~

Also visit my blog…I made a post about preview of new knitting book 2008!

love,
    Charles

35. Mmnnn cookies. Thank you for spreading awareness of others situations.

36. I hope this doesnt post twice… Anyways My fur babies, Hubby, and Son want to wish You, KOARC,and of course Poor Hungover Lucy A Wonderful and Safe New Year! That goes for me too :-) I also want to thank you for raising awareness about Phoebe and her plight. Animals need us to advocate for them and they have a good one in you! Lucy: You gotta layoff the “Nip” girl, try the Humans Champagne next time :-)

37. Happy Healthy New Year to you and yours
    and Lucy. I’m glad that people are coming
    to the rescue of the little pup. I’m sorry that
    I can’t donate anything at this time. Also, you
    are very lucky to have your grandmother’s
    cook books. My grandmother and aunts did
    not use receipes or write things down. They
    just started cooking and added a little of this
    and a little of that. Everything was delicious
    and there is no way we can duplicate anything.

38. Happy New Year!

39. Raye in NY (mother of the other jan 2nd Wendy) says:

January 2, 2008

Dear Wendy,

Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday Dear Wendy,
    Happy Birthday to you.

The best part is you didn’t have to listen to me singing !

Hugs,
    Raye and Wendy, the other birthday girl!

40. Alice in Portland says:

Thanks for posting about poor Phoebe. She’s in a good place at Dr. Mel’s clinic.
    According to some around here, the story is even worse than it was reported. There were several snowmobiles involved and it was not an accident.

I am headed for surgery tomorrow and am taking toe-up socks to fill the hours while waiting. I’m hoping I’ll be lucid enough to fill the post-surgical hours with knitting too.

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday!

41. Haven’t commented in a while but love the pinwheel sweater and all the lovely shawls lately! Wanted to mention a little contest I’m holding over at my blog to try and generate some votes for myself for January Knit Girl! Hope you have a wonderful happy and healthy new year!

42. Happy Freakin’ Birthday!

43. We always knew Lucy was a hardcore niphead.

44. Theresa in Italy says:

Happy Birthday, Wendy!

Poor Lucy! Busted! Ya gotta learn your limits. If it’s any consolation, I’m sure she wasn’t the only one who overindulged.

Now to add to the donations for Phoebe….

45. Dianne in western WI says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Wendy!!!!!

46. If you don’t talk to your cat about catnip Who will?

47. Your recipes really caught my attention. I hope that you don’t mind my adding them to my recipe collection.

Oh, and if you would like help translating any of the Swedish recipes, let me know. I moved to Sweden 8 years ago and can even ask my husband for help, if I am unable to handle it myself. I love “Drömmar” and hope to try the recipe. OK?