1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

First WIP of 2008

My first project of the new year is this:

2159163992 38627a2a58 m First WIP of 2008

Wave Scarf 010208

This is a wide scarf that I started New Year’s Eve. I’m knitting it in a traditional shetland lace pattern: crest o’ the wave.

2159163624 c18a831537 m First WIP of 2008

Wave Closeup 010208

(Great minds think alike — Judy at Smatterings posted about her Crest o’ the Wave Scarf yesterday and posted a free pattern. Mine is pretty much the same — just wider.)

The yarn I’m using is special. icon smile First WIP of 2008

My friend Johanne send me a gorgeous pair of wristwarmers for Christmas, knit from some hand-dyed yarn.

2158365139 2280cddaef m First WIP of 2008

Wristwarmers 010208

Look at how beautifully the beads match the yarn!

2159164810 85fe078cc4 m First WIP of 2008

Wristwarmers Closeup 010208

Anyhow, she asked the artist to dye some laceweight to match and sent that to me for my birthday (yes, today is my birthday). Thanks, Johanne!

2158363649 9b5b5ba7df m First WIP of 2008

Laceweight 010208

So I’m making a nice wide scarf to match my wristwarmers. That’s my plan for today: knit and watch television. Hey, it’s my birthday after all. I can do what I want.

Lucy wishes that I would want to turn on the heat — it’s gotten cold. I think I’ll oblige her.

2159163224 3bf4a2004e m First WIP of 2008

Lucy 010208

Comments

1. JoAnn - WI says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WENDY!!!!

What a way to start out the New Year. I enjoy reading your Blog and viewing all your beautiful knit projects. Of course, I like seeing what Lucy is up to also.

Have a wonderful day.

2. Happy, Happy Birthday, Wendy!

What a wonderful and thoughtful present. I really like how the hand-dyed lace yarn works with the lace pattern; hmmm, have to keep that in mind. Are you going to have the scallops inverted on the other side, or graft or something?

Stay warm (like Lucy) and have a Wonderful Day!
    ; )

3. Ann in CT says:

Happy Birthday!
    I hope Lucy gave you something nice. Maybe she’ll share her catnip.

4. Happy Birfday! Mine is Friday. :)

5. Wristwarmers on the diagonal! How cool is that? (very cool indeed)

I wonder if a pattern might be available from Johanne? Inquiring minds and all.

Happy b-day!

6. What a wonderful present! Happy birthday, Wendy. :-)

7. Happy Birthday! Mmm, birthday yarn. :)

8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! that sure is gorgeous yarn!

9. Happy birthday!

I love the tail-over-the-nose photo.

10. Happy Birthday! You and my little Miss were born on an excellent day.

The stole is pretty as are the wristwarmers.

11. Have a wonderful birthday and happy 2008. I’m glad you are not all socks all the time anymore; keep those shawls and scarves coming.

12. Happy Birthday!

There’s nothing better than some gorgeous birthday yarn, lots of time to knit, and a cute kitty!

13. Happy Birthday, Wendy!! Hoping 2008 is a great year for you, Lucy and the KOARC!!

14. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend your day!

15. Happy Birthday Month! (Guess no birthday questions this year!) Hope you have a fiber-full day (with the scarf and with Lucy!).

16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

17. That is stunningly gorgeous yarn!!! :-)

Happy Birthday!

18. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful year.

19. Happy Birthday. Like your scarf… ;-)

20. Happy Birthday!!!

The scarf is beautiful.

21. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WENDY!!!

I hope you have a wonderful day and a great 2008!!

22. Happy Birthday! The shawl is absolutely gorgeous!

23. Happy birthday, Wendy!

24. I send birthday wishes for one that is happy, and healthy where you are daily encouraged and surrounded by love.

Happy Birthday!

25. Cynthia A says:

Happy Birthday, Wendy! Beautiful scarf, too :)

26. Happy birthday, Wendy!!! I hope you have a day filled with fuzzy yarn and pointed needles!! Love the scarf and the wrist warmers!!! What a neat birthday gift you received!!

27. Wooohoooo – Happy Birthday to you!!!! :-)

28. Happiest of Birthdays to you!!
    Thank you for sharing you, Lucy, and all of your wonderful knitting with us all year!

29. Happy, happy birthday to you, Wendy! May your new year bring wonderful friends, knitting, and health. (And I like the way the most noticeable “swoops” in the scarf repeat at semi-long intervals — tres chic.)

30. Marianne Y says:

Have a wonderfully Happy Birthday, Wendy, doing just what you and Miss Lucy want to do. I hope you get lots of knitting done, and that KOARC takes you out for a very special Happy Birthday dinner! (Are you listening, KOARC?) And, btw, I think Lucy should get the heat turned on. After all, it is winter time. :-)

31. Happy birthday, Wendy! Have a great year filled with many warm yarny things!

PS – I like the scarf! :D

32. Holly Abery-Wetstone says:

Happy Birthday!

Thank you for all your wonderful patterns! I just finished your L-B sock pattern in STR Quartz. They came out beautifully and were knit in Italy while I was on vacation.

33. Happy Birthday, and Happy New Year!

Caroline

34. Happy Birthday Wendy! Hope your next year is absolutely wonderful!

35. Happy Birthday, Wendy. Your scarf looks beautiful.

36. Happy Birthday! The scarf looks beautiful.

I hope I can manage to spend my birthday (coming up on the 9th) in much the same way you’re spending yours. :)

37. Happy Birthday, Wendy! You share the same birthday as my youngest.

38. happy birthday! those are great looking wrist warmers.

39. Gorgeous scarf, gorgeous yarn, gorgeous mitts, and Happy Birthday! :-)

40. Have a great birthday and best wishes for a fabulous 2008!

41. I hope you turn in for the night with wonderful memories of a beautiful day. Happy Birthday!

42. Happy Birthday!

43. happy birthday wendy!

44. Happy Birthday Wendy! Best wishes for a wool-filled, pain-free year!

45. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful gift. I hope you have a great day!

46. Happy Birthday! May your day be relaxing and filled with all that you like best.

47. Happy Birthday!

48. Happy Birthday Wendy, may this year be the best yet for you. I love your blog, and your knitting is an inspiration to me. Your Kitty Pi beds were among the very first things I ever knit, my cats and grandcats love love love them. Thanks so much for your sharing spirit.

49. Wendy, Have a very special Birthday. The yarn is beautiful and so are the wrist warmers and the scarf to be. Happy Birthday, I hope you have a wonderful year.

50. Happy Birthday!!!

51. Happy Birthday, Wendy!!!!!!!

52. Happy Birthday Wendy!!! Hope you have lots of fun knitting and cuddling the little darling girl!

53. Happy Birthday!
    May all of your row counts be correct!
    May your laceweight never tangle!
    May your stitch markers always be at hand when you need them!
    May you never, EVER, run out of yarn!
    (Best b-day wishes I could think of for a Knitter!)
    Many hugs and best wishes!

54. Lee Cockrum says:

Happy Birthday…. imagine the whole song, off key!! AND MANY MORE!!! That is our family way to wish people happy birthday.. and we sing the many more VERY loudly!! Gorgeous yarn and scarf. I have started several different lace item.. the only things I have completed are a dishcloth and a small bag. I am somewhat afeared of the whole blocking process. I need to just bite the bullet and give it a whirl! Especially as I need to have a lace stole complete for a wedding in September. I already have the simple pattern, and have commissioned the yarn to be dyed in the color needed. So I need to practice the blocking process on something less “important”!!

55. Happy Birthday. Please do turn on the heat …afterall it’s your birthday. Enjoy!!!

56. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!

I hope you have a wonderful b-day! Can’t wait to meet you and the other Loopies at the Loopy Ewe retreat!

57. Happy Birthday!! (Give Miss Lucy a scratch behind the ears for me, too.)

58. Happy Birthday, Wendy! May the coming year bring you happy adventures.

59. Happy Birthday! The scarf and wristwarmers are beautiful.

60. Teresa (NC) says:

Happy Birthday! Great gifts! Love the scarf.

61. That is absolutely beautiful!

62. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WENDY!!!!
    …and many more! Mine is on the 20th and I plan on spending it the same way you’re spending yours – knitting and watching tv. One thing, though – I plan on adding a trip to the Cheesecake Factory!
    BTW, I love the scarf and wristwarmers, too.
    XOXOXOX
    Maria

63. Happy Birthday!!! Today is my birthday too! Happy Birthday to us (Not sure what’s with the “cha cha’s” but that’s the way my kids sing it :-)

Totally enjoy your blog — you’re a very talented knitter.

Health and happiness in the new year!
    Sharilyn

64. Happy birthday, Wendy!

65. That scarf is to die for. I’m going to try Joanne’s pattern as soon as find wool that’s worthy of it. I love the colors you’ve got there. Sumptuous! Happy Knitting!

66. Happy Birthday!
    That scarf is gorgeous!

67. Happy Birthday! And happy birthday project! Gorgeous. Stay warm.

68. VERY Happy Birthday to u!
    blessings,
    rori

69. Happy birthday, Wendy :) I should have remembered as you announce it every year (especially as you seem to get younger each year). May this be one of the best for you personally and professionally.

I do hope Lucy will share some of the nip with you – after alll, a girl’s got to celebrate!

70. happy birthday wendy from paris-france!
    by the way, my babyboy is 17 months today!

71. Dr. Jackie says:

Happy Birthday Wendy…!

Beautiful scarf…can’t wait till you tell us what the yarn is!

72. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Happy, happy birthday!

Your birthday yarn is gorgeous. What a perfect birthday–sitting and knitting with Lucy by your side!

73. Kristi ~ Ohio says:

Happy Birthday Wendy!! Love your scarf. Enjoy your day.

74. Wendy,
    I love the scarf…..oh…Happy Birthday!!!! and Happy New Year:-)

75. And a very happy birthday to you – along with wishes for a happy new year.

The scarf is beautiful. I had never noticed the detail in that pattern before.

My cat, PK (formerly Angel Eyes) wishes lots of catnip and loving to yours.

76. Your scarf and wriswarmers are beautiful.
    I hope you have a wonderful birthday filled
    with good health in the years to come.

77. Happy Birthday Wendy!

78. Wonderful birthday wishes to you for this year and many, many more!! And a special happy BD from a fellow Capricorn (12/30)- that’s me!! luv.m.

79. Happy Birthday!!!!!

Hugs!!

80. Happy Birthday!!

Beautiful scarf

81. What a lovely way to spend your day! Have a very Happy Birthday:~D

82. Happy birthday Wendy! Thank you for sharing so much of your talent with us.

83. knittymonster says:

Happy, Happy Birthday! May all your dreams come true! Happy, Happy Birthday! Today is just for you!! hehe. like my song? i love your new yarn! its very pretty!! happy birthday!

84. Happy birthday Wendy! May you have many, many, many more. :)

85. Happy Birthday Wendy! Yarn is always good on your birthday. Tell Lucy not to party so hard, then she wouldn’t be so tired. :-)

86. Alice in Richmond says:

Happy Birthday Wendy!

87. The scarf if beautiful. But most of all Happy Happy Birthday.

88. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday Wendy.
    And your scarf is lovely.

89. Happy Birthday Wendy!

Hope it was a good day of doing what you wanted!

90. I hate to sound like I copying everyone else but they all said it so well – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope it’s been a great day.

91. Happy birthday, Wendy! You are now ::mumblemumble:: years old, right? Never mind, no matter how hard you try you will never catch up with me…

92. Happy Birthday and happy knitting. cecilia

93. Happy Birthday Wendy! Sounds like you had a perfect day… knitting and watching TV!

94. Hey it is my birthday too!! Happy birthday to us! The wrist warmers are lovely and you are lucky to have such a friend. I love the new shawl also. Lucky is a sweety as always!!

95. Happy Birthday, Wendy! and that scarf is yummy!

96. Have a good one, Wendy!

97. Happy Birthday! The scarf knitting is a great way to spend your birthday. Very pretty, too.

98. Happy Birthday! Very pretty scarf!

99. Happy Birthday, Wendy! I first discovered you about 2 years ago – in time for your birthday contest. I was a lucky winner then and since! Have loved every minute of your blog – And that is a gorgeous scarf.
    (((hugs)))