1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Oh, Look. Another Mitten.

2214700159 69d66d268d m Oh, Look. Another Mitten.

Mitten Back 012308

Yes, I’m knitting another mitten.

This one is being made from Claudia Hand Painted yarn in fingering weight — the colors are Navy Olive and Lemon Ice. I do think they work nicely together.

2214700609 2a8b91e582 m Oh, Look. Another Mitten.

Yarn 012308

And of course I am craving lemon sorbet right now.

Here is the palm of the mitten:

2214700395 b97e30b0d2 m Oh, Look. Another Mitten.

Mitten Palm 012308

Wanna see better photos of the yarns? Look at the photos at The Loopy Ewe. Lemon Ice is here. Navy Olive is here. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos.

That’s the trouble with winter blogging — by the time I get home after work, it’s too late to get good photos in natural light so I have to resort to using the flash, which does distort the color.

I’m plugging away at my second Temptation Top-Down Sock as well, on the commute. Marji asked me if I’ve ever tried knitting two socks at the same time. I haven’t. And I’ve never knit two sleeves at the same time either. I know some people prefer to do that, but I’m a one-at-a-time kind of girl.

I’m also still a toe-up sock kind of girl. While it amuses me to knit a sock top down from time to time, I really prefer knitting toe up.

Lucy is a “give me a treat NOW” kind of girl.

2215491884 9b545cf989 m Oh, Look. Another Mitten.

Lucy 012308

Comments

1. Very pretty!!

2. So, are mittens the new socks for 2008!?

3. Christine says:

Gee, I remember when you were a dpn sort of girl ;)

4. Lucy reminds me of my kitty Sannybug (AKA Sandy) They dont look the same but seem to both have the same thought asin…”Guve me what I want NOW” anyways, cant wait to see the mitten completed and I definitally cant wait to knit the Temptation sock and try out your heel/gusset manuver:-) Have a very nice evening

5. I really like the way those two yarns work together. One solid and dark colour mixed with a light variegated yarn tend to look quite pretty, I think.

6. Wendy, on your generic, favorite, wear~all~the~time sock pattern, how high (many inches) tall do you make your socks?

7. The mittens are going to be beautful. The design is so pretty.

Lucy has quite a long tail. I never tire of seeing new pics of her. (I always notice something new that I never noticed before.)

8. ellen in indy says:

is the new mitten an “indiana jones” (you know — make it up as you go along)?

it’s gorgeous and looks cozy, too.

does d.c. have an electronic transit pass like boston’s charlie card or hong kong’s octopus pass? if so, have you considered a variation on the “subway mittens” interweave knits featured?

9. I really like the contrast between those two colors. The palm patterns is my favorite part, and the detail on the lower thumb is VERY intriguing.

10. Stephanie says:

Wow — I may be biased as I’ve had a tiny mitten obsession lately, but the mittens you’ve been making are really really cool. However, much as I thought I liked the ones you made first, I think these have outclassed those. I really love the pattern. Really truly!

I also have to say, it’s kind of strange to see you knitting something other than socks after so long of just socks. Need to get used to it again.

11. I love this blog. Nothing prolific to write; I just wanted you to know that Lucy and you make my day.

12. I’ve been fooled! What’s the world coming to? Wendy doing a top down sock? The end result is just as pretty;)

13. Wendy, I have always wanted to make a pair of those mittens! Is there a beginner pattern you would recommend or perhaps a book for beginners? They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

14. Mittens are looking good! Lucy is looking starved. Treats! Stat!

15. Yum, it DOES look good enough to eat. I’ve been making lemon buttermilk sherbert (and lime). So, so good it might even quench the lemon sorbet craving!

16. I know you always tell me you don’t knit fast — I cannot believe how much you can turn out in one day!!!

I would LOVE to knit “not particularly quickly” the way you do!! Damn, woman!!!

And of course, I LOVE the color combo you’ve chosen for the newest gloves too! You’re awesome at putting colors together AND picking just the right projects for your yarns, too. I am green ::gg: (with envy that is!)

17. I’ve noticed that recently (since summer of socks, I think) you knit a lot of the same thing but with many different stitch patterns and colours – first the socks and then the mittens. Do you like to have many different (but equally lovely) handknitted goods to rotate through, or do you give away a lot of your stuff?

18. Liz in IN says:

Another gorgeous mitten pattern!

And Lo! Is this a chart I see before me (you)?

Did you create this pattern, too, using…that software I’ve forgotten the name of? I think you must have, otherwise you would have linked the designer. We wants it. (Please)

Claudia handpainted? I was going to guess DIC Smooshy. Hmm…looks like the not-quite-solid colourway is becoming the new black, eh? And I am very much okay with that. :)

19. The back of the mitten reminds a great deal of blackwork embroidery. It’s beautiful. I haven’t tried colorwork because I’m fairly new to knitting and colorwork intimidates me but you’re really inspiring me to try it.

20. They are lovely. I really like the way the lemon ice moves through the mitten.

21. Ooo-la-la! Each mitten (and glove) is more gorgeous than the last! I hope you’re writing a mitten and glove book. Oh yes!

22. Those mittens are fabulous. Is this another self-designed pattern? I was wondering if you use a charting program for your designs. I’ve used Knit Visualizer and I like it very much, but your charts look a bit different from those I can print out.

23. Wendy- Mmmm- lemon gelato.

24. Gorgeous color combo again.

25. Michele In Maine says:

I tried the Temptation pattern with two circulars (knitpicks, 16″ size 0′s), I really tried. I cast on and knit one row and gave up, grabbed my bamboo dpn’s (1′s), and got the cuff knit in record time. I’m planning to use the pattern for the heel/non-gusset/etc. as I really want to learn this technique (I’m a top-down, dpn, gusset kind of gal). I’m always looking for a faster way to get through my sock yarn stash! I have the 2-at-a-time socks book (on the 40+” circular) and have high hopes….

It’s hard to ignore the insistence of treat-deprived kitties!

26. these mittens are looking wonderful!

27. I have to know, is that a kitty on the thumb? Are these Lucy’s mittens?

28. Courtney M says:

I like the new yarn! itsh beautiful! I have three cats and they do the same thing when we’re making turkey sandwiches. =-D
    long live queen lucy!

29. Quit making me want to knit mittens already! I live in freakin’ North Carolina! I need not the mitten!

30. Can I complain? STTOOOPID auditor – I couldn’t catch your blog yesterday b/c of her. So I missed completely the Greta Garbo Camille! (sigh)

Ok…won’t say a word about where you-know-who is going-next-month…And yes, the internet is being persnickety. ;(

Thanks for the link for the Excel Charting!

And I’m so glad you’re a process knitter! I love your obsessions…
    ((((hugs))))