1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Happy Birthday, Lucy

2265155933 4e116c08f4 m Happy Birthday, Lucy

Lucy021408.jpg

Today, Valentine’s Day, is Lucy’s official birthday. She is seven years old.

I sang happy birthday to her before I left for work this morning, and she seemed pleased. Well, she’s usually pleased when I pick her up and snuggle her, and I was doing that at the time . . .

Lynne E had some questions:

How many items did you knit from stash last year? I think you said that sock yarn purchases didn’t count–and then you knit a lot of socks as part of the “Summer of Socks”. What about this year? Are you planning to reduce your stash at all?

Apart from socks, in 2007 I knit 8 items from my stash (a shortsleeved cotton cardi from VK, Kiri, the Handsome Triangle, Maltese Shawl, Alpine Shawl, Cromarty, Mitred Squares Sweater, and Large Lace Collar Bohus) and after the end of my knit from my stash pledge, I knit 3 items I purchased yarn for after September 2007 — the Pinwheel Sweater, the Angel Shawl, and the Pacific Islands Stole. I knit a whole lotta socks, some from stash yarn, some from newly purchased yarn.

What about this year? So far this year I’ve bought some laceweight and sock yarn. I haven’t given a lot of thought to stash reduction so far this year.

I’ve got lots of yarn in my stash for knitting sweaters, but for the past couple of years I’ve been unable to wear sweaters (apart from cotton ones in the dead of winter and I’m not overly fond of knitting with cotton) because I’m just too frigging warm all the time. It makes knitting sweaters uncomfortable, too. I can’t bear the warmth of it as I knit a large heavy piece. That’s one of the reasons for so many socks, mittens, and lace projects — far, far more pleasant for me to knit.

Speaking of lace, I have done a bit more work on Garden Party.

2265946144 972f801297 m Happy Birthday, Lucy

GardenParty021408.jpg

Lucy says:

“It’s my birthday! Poached chicken br**sts for everyone! Well, really, just for me. ;-)”

She also says:

2265155987 792a37ab16 m Happy Birthday, Lucy

LucyandWendy021408.jpg

“Oh no! Is Momma gonna sing to me again?”

Comments

1. Happy Birthday Miss Lucy!!!
    From Sannybug, Charlie, Bligh, KooKoo and their humble servent Danielle

2. Shirley, in PA says:

Happy Birthday Lucy – you get more beautiful each year. Wendy, I love the photo of you and Lucy – you both have gorgeous eyes.

3. Happy birthday, Lucy!

4. Happy birthday, Lucy! :D

Knit From Your Stash was really helpful for me reducing some of the accumulated yarns in my ‘pile’. I didn’t knit much, really, but I was forced to come up with some creative ways of using up some of the yarn I’d bought on a whim, and scrap yarn from grab-bags when all I’d wanted was one ball contained within. I’m torn this year between attempting to reduce my stash and to expand it. I suppose if I end up breaking even at the end of the year, I’ll be happy. Using up old yarn and buying new is half the fun of being a fibre artist!

5. Happy Birthday Lucy!!!! My 9 kitties wish you the very best and are so happy you (and they) found such a great home full of knitting yarn and wooly goodness. My kitties prefer fresh, raw fish, but then, they are San Diego cats and are spoiled by being near the ocean.

6. Happy Birthday Lucy, and Happy Valentines Day to Wendy!

7. Happy birthday Lucy! A sweetheart day for a sweetheart cat!

Magpie says ‘meow’ and wishes you lots of potent catnip and fancy feast/gourmet catfood of your choice. And lots of lovin’ from momma and daddy!

8. Happy Birthday, Lucy!

Callie-cat sends her regards and wishes she could have your dinner.

9. Happy Birthday Lucy!!!! You are such a special cat. I hope you have the best day ever.

Wendy thank you so much for all your wonderful blogs and sharing Lucy with us. I enjoy reading and learning each day from you and Lucy to.

10. Tressa in NC says:

Happy 7th Birthday, Miss Lucy! It’s also my Emma’s 4th birthday. Emma is a rescued English Springer Spaniel. Since we don’t know Winton’s official birthdate (he’s also a rescued ESS), we’re letting them celebrate together. Aren’t resuces the best!!!

11. Happy birthday and Valentine’s Day Lucy! Hope your mommy is spoiling you extra rotten today.

12. Happy Birthday Lucy – she must be the most popular cat in the knitting blogland!

13. Happy Birthday to Lucy
    Happy Birthday to Lucy

Happy Birthday Darling Kitty
    Happy Birthday toooooo youuuuuuuu!!!! :-)

Hope you gets lots of chicken and catnip and LOTS of quality time with mama!!!

P.S. to Wendy,
    Love the shawl!

Luv from Buster, Yoda and me!m.

14. Happy birthday, Lucy!

15. Happy birthday Lucy! I love the photo of you and your Mom!

16. Happy Birthday to Lucy and good fortune for the coming year!
    I enjoy your blog & the photos. My rescue-adopted cat is eager for me to knit her a mouse and I hope it will satisfy her craving to chew on my yarn. Most annoying to be knitting along and suddenly find someone has bit it in half!
    -D

17. Happy Birthday Lucy! Hope you were extra pampered!!!

18. Happy Birthday Lucy, from everyone at our house, especially Garden Kitty and Jetsam, who are having birthdays today too!

And Happy Valentine’s Day to your whole family. :-)

19. Happy Birthday Lucy! May you have many, many more.

And happy Valentine’s Day to you Wendy and KOARC. :)

20. Happy birthday, lovely Lucy! And thank you, Wendy, for the excellent answer to my stash question.

21. Happy happy birthday to the beautiful Miss Lucy from me, Mack and (another) Lucy!

I love the picture of the two of you. Soulmates.

22. Meow meow meow meow meow meow
    Meow meow meow meow meow meow
    Meow meow meow meow meow dear Lucy
    Meow meow meow meow meow meow!

(that’s the Happy Birthday song translated into Cat. :-)

23. Happy Birthday Lucy, love…

I am confused, you wrote:

“I knit 8 items not from my stash (a shortsleeved cotton cardi from VK, Kiri, the Handsome Triangle, Maltese Shawl, Alpine Shawl, Cromarty, Mitred Squares Sweater, and Large Lace Collar Bohus)”

I thought those were all items knit from your stash. Am I reading the sentence you wrote, wrong?

24. Happy Valentines to you Wendy and Happy Birthday Lucy! :)
    (my queen cat mangmang blows you some kitty kisses btw ;D)

25. Happy Bird Day to you Miss Lucy!

26. Debra in NC says:

My crew (kitties – Tequila, Cinnamon, Jasmine, Sam, Speedy, Freon, Gypsy, Data and dog – Angel) and myself wish dear Lucy a very Happy Birthday and much more to come!

Debra in NC

27. LOVE the photo of you & Lucy. Happy birthday little one … hope your day was extra special!

28. Would you rather that Auntie L-B sing Happy Birthday to you,Lucy? Don’t answer that!
    Happy 7! Lucky sends tuxedo kitty kisses to you!

29. Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Lucy! May you have many more. Lucky number 7! Maybe mommy and daddy should take you to Vegas…enjoy your chicken.

30. Happy to You, Woo-See (as my toddler says)!

31. Happy Birthday Lucy!
    Wendy, I absolutely love the color of your shawl.

32. Happy Birthday to Miss Lucy . . . how wonderful that a rescue cat has received such a wonderful home and so much love.

33. Happy Birthday Lucy!!

34. Happy Birthday to Lucy! Today marks the 6th anniversary of the day we brought Mason home. Valentine’s Day is a good day for kitties!

35. Happy birthday, Lucy! And many, many more. Today is also my Mom’s birthday, so I think you picked an EXCELLENT birthday!

36. Much love and many snuggles Lucy!

37. Kip and Barney are wishing Ms. Lucy a very happy birdy-day!

38. Thumper and his mom wish Lucy a very Happy Birthday!

39. Happy Birthday, Lucy!

40. Happy Birthday, darling Lucy! We love you! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and KOARC, Wendy!

41. Happy Birthday Lucy!! That pic of you and Mommy is adorable, especially because it highlights your blue eyes and your big hairy paws!

42. Laura from Italy says:

Happy Birthday Lucy Baby! My own kitties will be 5 this year. One is s Siamese but I must confess I love Lucy’s long furr and affectionate disposition. They do not like to be cuddled at all.
    Thanks for scolding your server for not accepting my email. Have a good day!

43. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Happy Birthday, Lucy!

That’s a beautiful photo of the two of you.

44. Happy Birthday, Lucy! Speedy and Maurice (my two cats) wish you a Happy Birthday, too!

45. Theresa in Italy says:

Hope you had a wonderful birthday, Lucy! That’s a beautiful photo of you with your Momma!

46. Wendy, that pic is worthy of a frame! You look vampy, and Lucy looks feisty! Two ladies who can handle whatever comes their way. Happy happy Lucy! Head butts from my two guys too.

47. Darla - Detroit says:

Happy Birthday, Lucy, from Missy-Moo (Artemis) the dog! I just turned 2 on Valentine’s Day, too!!! And I love kitties – I’ve got a bunch of kitty brothers and sisters, as well as my mom and dad doggies. We all love to snuggle together in one huge mosh pit! Have a wonderful day – throwing you some puppy-kisses!!!

48. Happy belated birthday Lucy! I hope you let your mom sing as much as she liked.

49. susan-the ripoutartist says:

Wendy, I can’t believe Lucy is SEVEN already!!!!! Happy, happy bday to her! And, I LOVE the photo of you and Lucy! :)

50. Happy birthday Lucy! I’m wearing my socks knit in the Lucy colorway so I feel suitably festive. :)

51. Happy belated birthday Lucy!!! Archie and Spazzy wish you this and many more

52. Lee Cockrum says:

Happy Birthday Lucy!!
    That photo is priceless! I have seen that look on my cat’s faces many times before!!

53. Happy Birthday Sweet Lucy!!! Thlup, thlup…mew. :)

54. Meow Meow meow meow, Meow Meow meow meow (that’s “Happy Birthday to you” in Lucy speak).

What a doll she is. That face in the picture with you is just too priceless!

Have a good weekend.

55. Happy Birthday Lucy from Mistletoe, Ashley and Sarah! Take the day off and get Mommy and Daddy to feed you handchopped chicken and salmon!

56. Awww! Happy Birthday to Lucy!! :) That last photo really made me giggle. :)

57. Happy Birthday Lucy! Yesterday was my Ricky’s birthday, too – he turned one!

58. Happy Birthday Lucy…hope you enjoy your day!

Wendy, since you have given us a nice list of your completed work for 2007, is it still possible to see the photos? How to get to them?

Thanks!

59. Happy Birthday, Lucy! Still as beautiful and playful as a 3 year old kitten.

60. Happy Birthday, Sweet Lucy!

61. I know this sometimes depends on what fiber you use, but what method do you generally use to secure your ends/weave in at the end? My weaving-in usually looks bulky and not as beautiful as it could be. When you have a moment, would you grace us with a weaving-in shot on one of your shawls?

Best regards, and happy birthday to Miss Lucy,
    Miss Knotty.

62. Happy Birthday Miss Lucy!!!
    Wendy, I LOVE the last photo!

63. It was my Sophia’s Birthday also! Happy Birthday Lucy!

64. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY!!!

65. Happy birthday Lucy, you lucky girl! Enjoy your chicken!

66. Happy Birthday to Lucy…..Motorboat sang (or rather meow’d) it to me to translate:-)

My Cabletini socks are finally finished. Yippie!!!

67. Happy Birthday to the prettiest kitty in the world (except for my own cats, of course, who would look upon me with utter hatred if they knew I was oogling over ANOTHER kitty). Still, fish cakes and cruncy, fun toys to you!

68. Happy Birthday, Lucy!

69. Happy Birthday, lovely Lucy, from me and from my four kitties: Tucker, Henry, Clementine, and Alanna. (Why, yes. I am a Crazy Cat Lady (certified AND certifiable)…why do you ask??)

70. Linda in Chicagoland says:

Happy birthday, lovely Lucy! It’s so appropriate that your birthday is on Valentine’s Day, a day of love. You are certainly one of the most loved kitties on the planet. Here’s to many, many more!

71. Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday dear lucy! Happy Birthday to you!!!!!! wow! Lucy’s birthday is a day before my old dogs birthday and 5 days before my birthday! my birthdays on the 19th… I cannot wait!!!!

72. Catherine Smegal says:

Pretty, pretty girl! Happy birthday to you, Blue Eyes!

73. Happy birthday Lucy from all the splityarn kitties. And me!

74. Belated Happy Birthday to you, Lucy. May you have many more years of health and happiness.

75. Happy Birthday, Lucy!