1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

The Naming of Shawls is a Difficult Matter

There was quite a nice spontaneous outbreak of shawl name suggestions in the comments to yesterday’s post. Time for a poll!

What Should I Name This New Sock Design?

View Results

loading The Naming of Shawls is a Difficult Matter Loading ...

(Poll is fixed! Vote away! ETA: Argh — the poll doesn’t seem to be working. We’ll try again at some point!)

I am, of course, including “Diamonds With a Bunch of Crap in the Middle.” I am also including the name I was thinking I’d give it: “Kay’s Shawl,” because the recipient is named Kay.

So have at it!

2331992760 e8c1e74f00 m The Naming of Shawls is a Difficult Matter

Shawl031308.jpg

Speaking of naming projects after their recipients . . .

Lookie here at my new sock-in-progress.

2331992730 e4a79a9dae m The Naming of Shawls is a Difficult Matter

SIP031308.jpg

This is my lovely Ragdoll Diva sock yarn, dyed by Stacy of Tempted Yarns. The resulting socks will be called “Alana’s Socks” because I will be giving them to — you guessed it — someone named Alana.

I had fully intended to keep them for myself, but my coworker Alana saw the first sock in progress and her eyes lit up and she gasped because she loved it so much.

This is the yarn that’s got a tiny silver thread running through it. When you knit this in bright sunlight, boy, does it ever sparkle. Right now the sock just has three lines of little eyelets running up the front. But there will be some crap around the top of the sock.

Which brings us to the question: shouldn’t I call these “Socks With Crap Around the Tops?”

Lucy sez:

2331992608 81677fdf6b m The Naming of Shawls is a Difficult Matter

Lucy031308.jpg
“She who has the remote controls what we watch on television!”

Comments

1. Your shawl-in-progress pic in which you are Lucy’s twin is a keeper!

2. Belinda Giliberti says:

I love the yarn, just beautiful!

3. Hi Wendy,

Tried to vote twice, but got an “error on page” and the little circle kept going around… and around… and around… I exited out, tried it again and same thing. I am at work and that might be the problem. I’ll try again at home this evening.

That is the most BEAUTIFUL SOCK and the most BEAUTIFUL COLOR I think I’ve seen to date. Love it!

Shawl is lovely, but I’ll keep it a secret the name I voted for.

Lucy, of course, is a sweetie! luv.m.

4. anne marie in philly says:

I had the same problem as mary o. and I am on my home computer.

lucy also sez: “momma is looking more and more like me every day!” (crossed eyes)

what does lucy like to watch on tv (since she has the remote)?

5. YOIKS! that pic of Lucy should definitely be sent to I CAN HAZ CHEESBURGER … lolcat, right?
    xx
    mhv

6. OH NOOOOOO! You’ve been hanging around Lucy so much that you’re starting to look like her, you’ve got her eyes! (I’m going to have nightmares now!!!)

7. I suggested Starry, Starry Night, but I LOVE Diamonds and Purls, so can I designate my delegates to that name? (It is an election year, after all!)

8. I laughed when I saw Lucy with the remote control. A friend of mine had a rabbit who really did control the remote. If he wanted attention, he managed to push enough buttons to change the channel! Smart little buns!

9. What is with this crap kick?

10. You’re too funny … you’re picture with the shawl cracked me up (which is a good thing since I’ve been quite weepy this week).

Beautiful sock yarn. Perfect name for the yarn: Ragdoll Diva. Lucy looks like a diva today. She looks quite serious about the remote. I suggest you don’t try to take it away from her.

11. Mellanie says:

I don’t know about Socks With Crap Around The Tops, but I’ve had Socks With Crap On The Toes. Don’t ask.

12. Alice in Richmond says:

Your eyes are gonna stick that way….

13. I vote for “Diamonds With a Bunch of Crap in the Middle” and also for “Socks With Crap Around the Tops.” You could even add the recipients names in there too! Oh, I like that idea!

Kay’s Diamonds a Bunch of Crap in the Middle

and of course,

Alana’s Socks With Crap Around the Tops.

Love Lucy with the remote. We’ll be watching TV and all of a sudden the channel will change or the volume will go sky high. That’s when we know Bear is sleeping on the remote.

14. You totally cracked me up with the eye business – thanks! You’re in a crappy (and very “purply” mood lately – I hope it resolves soon (the crap not the purple).

Although I can’t vote I thought immediately of double cats paws in diamonds, so would vote for Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

15. Promise me you won’t do that at the cabin! The bears are scary enough!

And let those who asked if I plan to spin Rose’s fluffy white fur—that would be a resounding Yes! I’ve already started saving her brushings!

16. Ok I had to vote for Diamonds and Roses!!! Of Course thinking of L-B’s Rose. Wow what you can do with yarn, I am so honored that you are using this yarn for a gift!! That says a lot. Guess I better get busy dyeing some more of it. lol
    xoxo Stacy

17. How many skeins did you order from Tempted Yarns? I couldn’t find yardage listed when I checked her site.

Thanks.

18. Lynne E. says:

At present, “Diamonds With a Bunch of Crap in the Middle” seems like the most descriptive title. Have you considered refining the “roses” or “daisies” so that the eyelets are more regular? Maybe I’m just stuck on symmetry or something.

19. Ya know, crap is such a useful word! All purpose, descriptive, expressive (especially when multi-syllabic, eg, keeerraaaaap). It makes a lovely name for a shawl. :)

20. That varigated pink sock color reminds me of the Good and Plenty candy that my dad used to buy me when I was a little girl. I wonder if they still make that candy? It was really good and holds a lot of memories for me of my good father.

21. Voting complete! Hooray! Have a super-duper weekend – free of migraines !!!

And how very kul L-B is saving Rosie’s hair for a project!

luv.m.

22. Barbara-Kay says:

Miss Lucy, does your daddy, the KOARC, know you have that remote? I thought not!

23. Theresa in Italy says:

Good thing you’re not taking a poll on the photos. I’d have a hard time deciding between you with “Lucy eyes” or Lucy with the remote!

And I’d also vote for “Socks With Crap Around the Tops”—Alana has good taste, that is such pretty yarn.

24. Yummy yarns…both of them – such vibrant color!
    (((hugs)))

25. That’s right Lucy and that is why this Wendy usually has the remote! Ha, ha, ha!

Yesterday was such a broad spectrum of emotions for me:

anticipation, stress, excitement, nervous, hope, then utter disappointment and sadness. Why you might ask? Well all in the name of Wollmeise at the TLE of course! My goodness!

I’m sure you have Wollmeise. I’m still a virgin to Wollmeise – - is it the color or is it the yarn that is making people loony for it. Please tell me your opinion. At the moment and probably will be for awhile, very hard to get ahold of.

Thanks and have a good weekend!! WendyT

26. Everytime you mention crap in the potential name of a pattern, I remember the time my mom sent me out to the old unused silo to see the owl nesting in it. . .and what was in my hair when I returned to the house.

Without seeing the owl.

27. Wendy- It’s a no brainer- if it has Lucy’s name in it- that’s what it has to be.

28. I am horribly amused by the idea of a shawl name with the word crap in it. Just tickles the mental funny bone.

I wish more people I know liked something I was knitting and made it obvious that they liked it (or would happily have it). Most of the time, I get the mediocre ho hum response, which doesn’t make me that inclined to knit for others.

29. I liked “Ragdoll Diva” in the skein, but it sure does knit up even prettier. Simply gorgeous!

30. When I looked at the photo of Alana’s socks, I thought Good n’ Plenty. I don’t know what it is about the sock–I guess the color and the small horizontal bits of pink, gray, and black–but it reminds me of those candies.

31. It isn’t just one of your holiday games
    You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter
    When I tell you a Shawl must have three different names.

First of all there’s the name that the family use daily
    Such as Kay’s Shawl, or Roses, or Diamonds and Lace.
    Or Starry Night and Flowers, or Petals of Softness,
    But all of them sensible, every day names.

But I tell you a Shawl needs a name that’s particular,
    A name that’s peculiar and more dignified.
    Such as Mystical Magic, or Elegance Wafting
    Names that any shawl knitted can bear with some pride.

But above and beyond, there’s still one name left over,
    And that is the name that no human can guess.
    The name that no human design can discover,
    But the shawl itself knows as it accents your dress.

I vote for Diamonds With A Bunch Of Crap In The Middle.

(Apologies to T.S. Eliot.)

32. Hee hee…were you DRUNK when you wrote this post? Too funny! I love all your knits, Wendy. You knit the best crap I’ve ever seen!

33. When I first looked at the picture of the shawl, I thought it looked like a violet in the middle. – maybe I have spring on the mind! Regardless, it’s beautiful, no matter it’s name.

34. Wendy, your knitting is always so lovely. Could you not just lose the “crap”? It does not become you.

35. I really like the “Diamonds With Crap” name. Apparently a lot of other people do too!

And oh, by the way, my name happens to be Kay — I don’t suppose that… no… awww. I’m the wrong Kay. Lucky other Kay!

36. Love the T. S. Elliot title. I memorized that one.

“It isn’t just one of your holiday games. You may think at first I’m as mad as a hatter, when I tell you a cat must have 3 different names. First of all, there’s the name that the family use daily…..”

Oh, I could go on and on….

37. I voted for the Diamonds with Crap… I am speaking strictly for myself, but every lace project I’ve ever done looks like crap until it’s blocked. No instant gratification there. So naming any lace project “crap” seems fitting.

38. Yes, Patti D. they do still make Good and Plenty, I broke my tooth on one a couple months ago. I’ve been eating them for about 40 years now!!! (now I chew on the other side)