1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Edging, Edging, Edging

Yep, this shawl edging is going to take some time to complete. I am at this point just about one-third the way through it.

2359494880 469acd4963 m Edging, Edging, Edging

Shawl032408.jpg

I thought I’d get a lot more done yesterday afternoon, but instead I spent most of the day lying on the couch in a fugue of semi-consciousness.

Not that it wasn’t an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Particularly with a warm purring kitty draped over one.

Anyhow, it’ll likely take me the rest of the week to finish the edging. It’s pretty mindless knitting, which is good for parking oneself in from of the television and watching movies while knitting. But I am anxious to start my next project, which will be knit with this:

2358659671 9496d7ce19 m Edging, Edging, Edging

Kauni032408.jpg

Any guesses what that will become? (Hint: It is not the obvious choice . . . )

To distract you from my boring knitting, look at these.

2359494514 d596e43042 m Edging, Edging, Edging

Notecards032408.jpg

These are Knitting Note Cards, available for purchase here. You can purchase printed cards with envelopes, or pay for a pdf download and print your own cards. The card has a photo of a lace pattern on the front and the instructions for knitting the pattern on the back. They are blank inside. Pretty cool, eh? There are three different series available for sale, and all are pictured on the website.

In the “Here’s Something You Don’t See Everyday” Department

Seen outside my office window this afternoon.

2358659351 318ecc0c04 m Edging, Edging, Edging

Elephants032408.jpg

At least they aren’t pink.

Lucy is singularly unimpressed.

2359494254 a817824900 m Edging, Edging, Edging

Lucy032408.jpg

Comments

1. Is there a Circus in town?
    Hi Lucy from my Boys; Bligh and KooKoo
    Have A Nice Day!

2. Lace knitting pattern cards! :o That’s a really cool idea! Just the thing to get for the knitter who already has everything else.

3. When my older son was in daycare near the Capitol, they’d go outside every year to watch the elephants parade by. My son was *terrified*, poor thing.

Are you making one of those neato damask-type pillows with that Kauni, or some other funky Kauni fair isle? Wasn’t it one of the Rainey sisters who did the pillow with Kauni? It was gorgeous!

4. PICAdrienne says:

I would guess the Kauni SSSSweater, rather than the other sweater. However, you do not often wear the sweaters you make. It could also be the Autumn Cardigan.

One of these days, I am going to have to run up to Village Yarn and Tea, and get some of that, but I think it will be fall before actually buy the yarn. I am thinking of knitting the SSSSweater.

5. Kauni yarn!!

Spotted not in the wild, but on Wendy’s blog!!

Ergo, something wondermusly beautimus is coming!! YAY!!

(I would gladly take any leftovers. Just sayin’.)

6. Ah, yes – I had forgotten that the circus was in town, until I saw their trucks outside my office (lucky me, right across from the Verizon Center)…

And, such cute knitting cards. Must go check them out! : )

7. (Teddy misses me–can the Kauni be modeled by him?)

8. Wow! Where did you find that yarn? I’ve been looking all over on the internet!! Yay!

9. Juliette says:

Hmm.. republicans leaving washington? it’s a good start.

10. Love the elephants! I also adore the Kauni yarn – doesn’t matter what you make from it, it’ll be beautiful!

(Juliette – your comment – ROFL – so funny girl!)

11. Alice in Richmond says:

OOO the circus parade! So cool but so weird!

12. I love the elephants! Must be the circus OR as Juliette sez, the republicans are packing up to go! Ha! Ha! – good one Juliette!

I can’t wait to see the new knitting project. The shawl is lovely. Lucy is, as always, beautiful, sweet and lovable! luv.m.

13. Love the elephants! When the circus came to town last fall, a friend of mine was excused early from her internship (with pay!) because everyone wanted to watch the elephants go through downtown. Too funny.

As for the Kauni. . .well, who cares what you make? You could probably just drape it carefully over yourself and look fabulous, as that’s one of the best yarns ever.

14. I found myself in a monumental traffic jam one time in Northeast, and then we saw the elephants walking across the street. It was all worthwhile.

15. anne marie in philly says:

the redumblicans are leaving town ROFLMAO! :-)

but what do elephants have to do with the cherry blossoms blooming around the tidal basin?

ah, spring in washington…aaaaa-CHOO!

meredith and steven send their purrs to their cousin lucy!

16. I’m sure your Clowney -er- Kauni (the elephants got me confused!) will be something unique. There are so many ways to use that beautiful yarn. I made Ruth Sorensen’s “squares” and promptly discovered many others that called to me. (My sister Sally is indeed making the Damask pillow pattern into a Kauni sweater).

17. I’m thinking possibly “Mein Weg”, Mermaid or one of those awesomely colored shawls I keep seeing on Ravelry.

18. You got to see the animals! I came home too late so all I got to see what the equipment coming off the truck. I’ll seem them before the show, but it’s just not the same. Can’t wait to see what you’re planning to do with that lovely yarn.

19. Elephants!!! Just in time for the “trunk sock” I”m knitting…LOL…Right L-B!!!???

20. My guess is Ruth Sorensen’s Autumn Cardigan in Kauni.

21. Is it a baby kauni for someone!!
    Loved those elephants!!
    Lucy looks excited!!!

22. I missed the circus parade when they came to Charlotte. I was so sad!

23. Theresa in Italy says:

Excuse me while I snort with laughter at all the elephant comments…

I haven’t got a clue what you’re planning to do with the Kauni, but it’s sure to be gorgeous.

24. My guess is the skirt “Elderflower” also by Ruth http://www.ruths.dk/engelsk/index.htm

25. My guess is the ‘Celtic Hearts’ shawl that Weebug just finished.

26. Michele with one"L" says:

I just got my Kauni from Web’s and I am not sure what to make with it yet. I was thinking in terms of something like the Kauni Cardigan that everybody is making but different so I can’t wait to see what you are going to do with yours.
    Do you save Lucy’s fur for spinning?

27. I am wanting to knit Lizard Ridge in that yarn. It just hit me yesterday and now I am dying to start it, even though I already have a queue. So, maybe you are going to make an afghan??

28. Area you going to use all four colorways in the same project or do you have enough of each colorway to make separate things? It certainly is beautiful yarn!

29. Hi, I’m sorry you had to go to work on Easter Monday! I was thinking that since you’re working in an office it would be closed for the holiday. Such a pity Lucy could not purr along Easter Monday afternoon, too, drowsing on top of you resting on the sofa. Best wishes for knitting onwards! You are truly a fast knitter!

30. Hi Wendy,
    I need some advice. I have now made 4 pr. of socks and would like to try your toe up pattern. What pattern do you suggest for the leg? I am making them for a verrrry conservative husband. The yarn is a wool blend.
    Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Love the pics and news about Lucy.

31. I love a parade.

32. I love those little note cards … the idea of the, as well as the fact of them. It is so good of you to share such treats.

My mind is numb from being at the emergency room all night with my daughter (flu and a very bad cough) … so it hurt my head literally when I tried to imagine what the new yarn will be. The colors are so pretty, and I look forward to learning the answer.

Best to you all,
    firefly

33. Well… I’d try to guess but I don’t even have a clue what the “obvious choice” would be… socks? Anyway, it’s a gorgeous yarn, and I can’t wait to see what you make out of it.

Speaking of the Cherry Blossom Festival – everybody come to the parade! The Blake High School Marching Band is going to be in it!

34. It looks like a scene from that film starring Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt called ’12 Monkeys’ (the view from your window that is, not the knitting)!

35. OK, seeing elephants is definitely weird. I am not sure what I would do if I looked out the windows to see elephants (or giraffes, I think I’d rather see giraffes) walking down the street. At least it wasn’t elephant mounted police.

36. You COULD knit a sweater or a shawl or a pillow or an afghan from that gorgeous yarn, but personally I think you are going to knit a kitty. A very, very colorful kitty, who will purr happily and drape itself charmingly over your lap while you are at the office, a place where real cats, no matter how well-behaved and lovely, are not welcome.

ROFLMAO at the Republicans leaving town, yay.

37. I love seeing how big those elephants are next to the cars. They’re huge! LOL

38. I love the elephants, too, but definitely not in a circus.
    I can surely see why you’re drawn to knitting SOMETHING with Kauni during these gray spring days.
    (grumble, grumble) Why is it, Wendy, that every time I tune in to wendyknits I immediately hate everything in my own knitting basket?

39. Maybe my son was right afterall, if you saw elephants outside your window. When asked where he wanted to go on vacation, he replied Yellowstone. I asked why. He said “to ride elephants”.

I also want to do a Starmore design in Kauni too, but since those books are so hard to find, I might have to stick to Poetry in Stitched. Can’t wait to see the progress!