1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Yup, the Circus is in Town

As evidenced by the elephants I photographed outside my office window yesterday. I think since I’ve had this window office, I’ve managed to glance out the window at just the right time to see the animal parade every single year.

Shanti has photos in her Monday blog entry of stuff being unpacked for the circus.

Will I be going to the circus? No. Clowns seriously creep me out.

Lots of fun guesses in the comments about what my Kauni yarn is to become. But no one guessed correctly.

2361634367 ba2e093abd m Yup, the Circus is in Town

Kauni032508.jpg

For the uninitiated, this is a shetland-type wool that has color changes, sorta like Noro Kureyon. All of the skeins pictured in yesterday’s blog entry are the same colorway, which is the rainbow colorway — they look different because they start in different places on each skein. I am planning on knitting a fair-isle type sweater by using 2 skeins and starting in different places in the color sequence.

2362465286 e1cf9de1b7 m Yup, the Circus is in Town

KauniCloseup032508.jpg

There are a ga-jillion sweater knit this way out on blogs and in Ravelry, but so far, I haven’t seen any pictures of the design I plan to knit: Alice Starmore’s Lismore, from her book The Celtic Collection. If anyone reading this has knit Lismore in Kauni yarn and has a photo, please let me know — I’d love to see it!

I bought my rainbow Kauni yarn from Astrid’s Dutch Obsession which is, as the name suggests, in the Netherlands. Yeah, the shipping was expensive, but the yarn itself is so inexpensive that my total cost wasn’t too high. It’s very easy to order from her website as it is in English, and you can pay using Paypal. The yarn arrived very quickly — great service!

I ordered four 140 gram skeins and then decided to order two more, just for insurance. So I’ll have a total of six skeins, which should be way more than I need. I figure the leftovers would make a very cool rainbow shawl. I saw a few of those on Ravelry. icon smile Yup, the Circus is in Town

In the meantime, I’m working on the second Alana sock.

2362464846 13b79a7277 m Yup, the Circus is in Town

AlanaSock032508.jpg

And the shawl.

2361634995 352a973115 m Yup, the Circus is in Town

Shawl032508.jpg

Lucy is on Bird Watch.

2362465432 1b3201f05f m Yup, the Circus is in Town

Lucy032508.jpg

Comments

1. Firsties! Whee!
    I’m doing a variation on the Kauni Sweater that Stephanie did…I just re-did the pattern. (I don’t like rectangles much). I love this yarn! It is so much fun watching the progressions change! I also purchased my at Astrid’s…and have ordered more things since. I’ve found her service to be wonderful, even from across an ocean!

2. I adore Kauni so much. The colors.. the pretty rainbow colors! I have 2 skeins I’m trying to decide what to do with. Something incredible.

3. That should be one fabulous sweater!

Have to agree with the clown thing. I’m not overly fond of them and they are, well… creepy. Just a perception on my part.

My cats also go on “bird watch” also on “feral cat watch” or”squirrel watch”… you get the picture.

Luv.m.

4. We’re lucky enough to have so many yarn stores in Western Washington that we now have a “Yarn Tour” (a shop hop) every year in May. Kauni is one of the yarns I’ll be looking for this time around, even if I wait and buy some later. It’s just beautiful! For the tour, we have passports to get stamped at each store and each LYS has a one-skein pattern that is free during the tour. I wonder if someone will actually do a pattern using Kauni this year? (there is at least one store that advertises having a wide selection)

5. technikat says:

The effect of those changing colors in patterned knitting is just magical!

My one questions is “How itchy is the yarn?” I’m somewhat sensitive to wools
    and am hesitant to get wool I haven’t been able to touch.

I hope Lucy got a good show. The birds are busy in springtime.

6. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I’m with you on the clowns–they creep me out as well. I remember seeing one at a parade when I was small and screaming my lungs out. They make me really uncomfortable.

The sweater will be incredible. I haven’t seen any Kauni in person, but it sure looks gorgeous in the photo!

Lovely Lucy!

7. Isabella Casser says:

I dont like clowns either, Kreepy Klowns

8. Why did YOUR Kauni come in nice neat skeins and MINE came in messy hanks? What am I doing wrong? Bad Karma?

9. Lucy is very cute on bird watch. Does she do that adorable stuttering mew thing that some cats do when they really want to get a bird?

10. My Kauni softened up like butter when I wet blocked it. I wore it a lot this winter and it never failed to inspire other knitters because of the fantastic color transitions.

11. Yep, clowns=creepy, mimes=seriously irritating. Only the movie bio of Emmett Kelly made me like him, especially the scene where he sweeps away the spotlight on the ground. Of course, part of his appeal may have been that he wasn’t there in person.
    Love the yarn, magic that the skeins are the same yarn.

12. I love the Lismore sweater. Are you going to make it that long? And what are you using as the background color? Can’t wait to see it.

13. Mellanie says:

That is a really, really beautiful photo of Lucy. Hurry and finish your shawl, I can’t wait to start seeing pictures of your new sweater.

14. Can’t wait to see that sweater. Will be beautiful!!!

15. Clowns seriously creep me out too – I think a lot of folks feel that way about them. My attitude toward them was not helped by the pictures of John Wayne Gacy dressed as a clown. Astrid is the reason I have one of those enormous zip lock bags (10 or 15 gallon size) stuffed full of sock yarn in the corner of my living room – hiding next to the wall unit! Can someone point me toward some info about the Yarn Tour? Is it in Seattle? When exactly? I will be visiting Seattle the week before Memorial Day & would love to participate since I always buy yarn when I go on vacation anyway – my personal souvenir.

16. Hi Wendy! I just wanted to let you know that Knitorious (www.knitorious.com) in St. Louis, MO (the shop I work for) carries Kauni yarn if international shipping costs is a concern. I can’t wait to see the finished sweater!

17. Another vote for clowns are evil!!!!

18. Meribeth says:

Oh, I so agree with you! Clowns…..shudder. Never did like ‘em but S. King’s “It” really finished it for me. Except for the European clowns…they have a certain glamor.

I can’t wait ’till you start that sweater! I have been in awe over that yarn. The colors! Oh, my. I have a hard time getting my head around how it patterns..

19. I’m so glad to see you’re doing some Kauni. I’m doing a sampler and I pored over quite a few Starmore patterns but never actually went with one, so I’ll be very interested to see yours. I have a jigsaw of some Kauni knitting in my sidebar if you have 5 minutes to throw away :)

20. Michele In Maine says:

Oh dear, another sweater to add to my queue!

Lucy looks so intent! Yesterday we had a flock of robins on the lawn outside my office window – and it was only 25 degrees! I think they pecked the barren ground a bit, then decided to hightail it to Connecticut!

21. Shirley, in PA says:

Another vote for the beauty of that sweater and the yarn you’ve chosen. And another hater of clowns. When I was a little girl (blonde hair, blue eyes) my father took me into Philadelphia for the Mummers parade. We were watching on the side of Broad Street and one of the clowns grabbed me and gave me a kiss! Ugh! My father just laughed but I hated it – and all the orange make-up he smeared all over me. Never wanted anything to do with them since.

22. Since you work in DC, isn’t the circus always in town? Just wondering….

23. My 3yr old Tuxedo and the 2, 6mo old boys bird and squirrel watch too. Charlie (tux) chatters at them all the time from the kitchen window and KooKoo has tried to get out the window (hense his name) with the storm window closed to get them LOL

24. My cat is always on window watch (though now it is mostly birds and later it will be bunnies and squirrels).

I’ve been looking at fairisle mitten patterns lately with an idea of using one solid and one striping color. Do you think that would be reasonable with the Kauni?

25. I just looked at the chart for Lismore. How do you translate the chart to just the 2 yarns?

26. I just got some green/yellow Kuani from KnitPurl in Oregon to do a variation of the Kuani Cardigan, but now, I think I may look around to see what my options are. I can’t wait to knit it up!

27. WOW.. i can’t wait to watch the sweater progress… no doubt it will be beautiful… have you cast on yet? have you cast on yet? have you cast on yet?

28. Add me to the clown phobics. They just creep me out big time! All the women in my family feel the same way. Must be genetic.

29. Oh, I can’t wait to see this sweater. It sounds very very cool.

30. I saw another Starmore sweater in Kauni, Armagh. Here is a link:

That’s the only Starmore in Kauni I’ve seen.

I don’t care about clowns one way or the other.

31. We just got rid of the clowns here in Salisbury – I stayed away from that side of town! Stay safe :)

32. I used to be absolutely terrified of clowns when I was little. I still cannot stand them.

33. I am super happy that I decided to check out the Dutch Obsession’s Website. Their prices are top notch and they’ve got a fun selection!

34. That linnk to Dutch Obsession is a very dangerous thing. All that sock yarn is way less then I can get it for at my LYS.

35. I find clowns not necessarily creepy, but definitely unsettling. Like Donna, part of it comes from the association with serial killer John Gacy (although I was only 4 when he was arrested), but the major thing is the “clown attack” scene in Poltergeist (my first “scary” movie).

36. Knit/Purl in Portland, Oregon has Kauni for sale here in the US:

Their pricing looks a little odd because they sell it by the gram. So it is $.12 per gram or around $18 per 150 gram ball. They also ship for a flat $6.50 anywhere in the US.