1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

The Movie Meme

I’m not a huge fan of memes, but I’ve seen this one on a couple of my favorite blogs, and it definitely speaks to me. The rules:

1. Pick 10 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them on your blog for everyone to guess.
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and put who guessed it and the movie.
5. Looking them up is cheating, please don’t.

Okay, I’ll tell you up front that one of these movies had no quotes listed in IMDb, although the movie itself is listed there. So I picked a quote myself from the movie. In fact, I watched the movie to make sure I got it verbatim.

And I’ll be incredibly impressed if y’all guess them all without Googling because a couple of them are somewhat obscure. But they are among my favorites. Here goes:

1. Be happy in your work MaryO

Wendy adds:
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957): Be happy in your work. – Colonel Saito, the prison camp commandant
A David Lean classic! The head of our agency at work always says “Be happy in your work” at the close of the managers’ meeting and it never fails to crack me up, because I know he’s a classic movie buff and get the reference. No one else ever seems to get it.

2. Oh it’s no trouble at all. Besides I haven’t heard any intelligent female nonsense for months. Ghislaine

Wendy adds:
I Know Where I’m Going! (1945): Oh it’s no trouble at all. Besides I haven’t heard any intelligent female nonsense for months. — Catriona Potts
An early Micheal Powell/Emeric Pressberger collaboration. Most of the action takes place in the Outer Hebrides! It stars Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey! What’s not to like??!!

3. It’s awfully easy to lie when you know that you’re trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading. AnnH

Wendy adds:
Brief Encounter (1945): It’s awfully easy to lie when you know that you’re trusted implicitly. So very easy, and so very degrading. — Laura Jesson
My absolute favorite movie of all times. Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard are perfection. The score, Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 sets the mood for this doomed love affair. Piano played by Eileen Joyce.

4. Important decisions have to be made quickly. Diann

Wendy adds:
The Uninvited (1944): Important decisions have to be made quickly. — Pamela Fitzgerald
The piece “Stella By Starlight” was composed by Victor Young for this movie. It’s a fabulous ghost story, starring the dreamy Ray Milland

5. It’s money and adventure and fame. It’s the thrill of a lifetime and a long sea voyage that starts at six o’clock tomorrow morning. MaryO

Wendy adds:
King Kong (1933): It’s money and adventure and fame. It’s the thrill of a lifetime and a long sea voyage that starts at six o’clock tomorrow morning. — Carl Denham
The original and best version, one I never get tired of seeing.

6. Do you really believe in the perfect murder? Bronwyn

Wendy adds:
Dial M For Murder (1954): Do you really believe in the perfect murder? — Margot
My favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie, starring the impossibly beautiful Grace Kelly and Ray Milland, at his creepy best.

7. She didn’t pass on, pass over, or pass out! She died! AnnH

Wendy adds:
This Happy Breed (1944): She didn’t pass on, pass over, or pass out! She died! — Frank Gibbons
Another David Lean classic! Fabulous cast, another movie I never tire of watching.

8. The inspector asked for some chrysanthemums. Could you go out and pick them for him, please?

9. What goes to make a rose, ma’am, is breeding… and budding… and horse-manure, if you’ll pardon the expression. MaryO

Wendy adds:
Mrs. Miniver (1942): What goes to make a rose, ma’am, is breeding… and budding… and horse-manure, if you’ll pardon the expression. — Mr. Ballard, the station master
My favorite World War II film. It may be dated, but I watched it shortly after 911 and cried, because the pastor’s speech at the end of the movie was so incredibly (and heartbreakingly) relevant.

10. I’m proposing marriage, Miss Hansen. Or… should I call it a merger? You know I’m good at mergers. MaryO

Wendy adds:
Random Harvest (1942):I’m proposing marriage, Miss Hansen. Or… should I call it a merger? You know I’m good at mergers. — Smithy
I’m a sucker for a good love story and this one has it all: War! Amnesia! English countryside! Stars the always fabulous Greer Garson and Ronald Colman.

Have at it, and leave your guesses in the comments. icon smile The Movie Meme

Because the Anonymous Alana-Sock Lover frightened me half to death with her threats in the comments yesterday, here they are: the Alana Socks.

2366610479 6f9275c507 m The Movie Meme

AlanaSocks032708.jpg

Hopefully this will preclude me getting emailed photos of scary clowns.

2366610831 5d7a634238 m The Movie Meme

Heel032708.jpg

I hope.

2366612121 0062c9cf40 m The Movie Meme

Top032708.jpg

Okay?

2367447968 c2bf3d6ec8 m The Movie Meme

Toe032708.jpg

The next socks will be knit from this:

2366611263 779c49a60a m The Movie Meme

SockYarn032708.jpg

Lucy sez:

2367447272 fcb2de0d8e m The Movie Meme

Lucy032708.jpg

“I love to watch movies with my Momma!”

Comments

1. anne marie in phily says:

I’m first!

meredith meows: “I like to watch ‘casablanca’ !”

is #5 “the life aquatic”?

I have NO idea about the rest!

have a good weekend at chez wendy!

2. I don’t have the foggiest idea about any of the movies. I just am not a big movie watcher (or more accurately, I watch the same 10 movies all the time).

I love the new sock yarn. It is such a sophisticated colorway.

3. I have no Idea on the movies. The Alana Socks are gorgeous as always. I have to know is the Sock yarn coming up STR Lucy?? Shes pretty as ever.
    Have A Nice Day!

4. Great socks!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm… I only know a few of these quotes:

# 1 = Bridge on the River Kwai (one of my husband’s faves)

#5 = King Kong (a fave of mine and my husband!)

#9 = Mrs. Miniver (a Classic with a capital “C” – what a lovely movie!- And the lady KNITS!!!)

#10 = Random Harvest – (I just watched this movie, otherwise I wouldn’ t have gotten it!)

That’s all I know! Yoda and Buster love watching movies too! luv.m.

5. Wendy,
    I have never met a kitty that doesn’t love movies with its Momma! Come on, is there anything better in life than a cold, crisp (Friday/Sat) night, a kitty, a SO, a glass of vino, knitting, and a vintage flick? (If I have neglecgted an item. let me know immediately; also my groupings were in no particular order…)

6. #2 = I Know Where I’m Going. Love Wendy Hiller!

7. Thank goodness you bent to Anonymous Alana -Sock Lover’s demand!
    Or,else we’d have to forget about the fantasy trip.
    Assuming I know who A.A-S.L. is! ;-)

8. You really ARE a lover of old movies.
    2 is from “I Know Where I’m Going” 1945 and a good one for Wendy Hiller fans.
    3 is from “Brief Encounter”
    7 is “This Happy Breed”

Watching old movies with my husband is constant trivia-land with running commentary. Thanks for the fun quiz!

9. No. 6 is Dial M for Murder, right?!?! I love mysteries…

10. Could #6 be “Strangers on a Train”? Great movies. Have to snout around imdb now.

11. Darn it! I was so close. Sort of. I just heart Grace Kelly.

12. Jane Simpson says:

is no.6 Strangers on a Train?

13. #6 is Dial M for Murder – right?

14. #4. The Uninvited…I think.

15. #8 reminds me of that John Steinbeck story- The Chrysanthemums- but I have no idea if it’s a movie

16. This one isn’t that rare, but I’m thinking #8 is Arsenic and Old Lace.

Is the new yarn a Lucy colorway?

17. I love what you are going to do with your Kauni yarn. I am working on a Kauni cardigan right now (my very first foray in to colorwork) and I am loving it. Just as a caution, I did find some knots where the colors changed…

18. Tigger's Mom says:

Fun quiz – I knew nothing but now I have some good movies to watch!

Love the Alana socks, Lucy’s as adorable as ever, and I’m going to guess that the yarn for the next sock has bamboo in it. It’s got a nice sheen whatever it is!

19. Love your movie selections & quotes….each one fantastic……….would add Out of Africa “if I have known the colors of Africa, will Africa know the colors of me?”………..and Ratatouille “this is not your Mommy’s kitchen!”………….great fun!

20. Your movies are way more high-brow than mine! Love this meme, Wendy.

21. “Be happy in your work.” Good memories of high school freshman English class! This too became our slogan, to the confusion of students outside our class. I need to use this at work. And home.

22. Mellanie says:

I’m going to have to see some of the movies you quoted. Thanks for doing the meme.

23. Oh my – you’re the only other person I know who likes (or even knows) “I Know Where I’m Going!”. My grandmother used to sing “Nut Brown Maiden” to us in Gaelic when we were children. Thank you for reminding me.

24. I had no idea about any of the movies. I can sit and knit for hours but have difficulty getting thru a movie. Don’t know why. I love the new yarn, Colorway, please? It looks like Lucy. Any connection?

25. Wendy, please take the time to find “It All Started With Eve”.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033766/ It is delightful and I am sure you would enjoy it.

26. Liz in IN says:

Late to the party, as usual. Great movies! Celia Johnson (love her) was wonderful in both those classics, and the This Happy Breed quote is one of my favourites ever. :) Oh, and Brief Encounter is one of the movies the ghosts watch in Truly, Madly Deeply. :)

Is the next-in-line sock yarn Spritely Goods Coffee Pot Rock? Hmmm…maybe a bit too shiny, but the colours are about right.

My Del loves watching movies with Mum, too.

27. What a terrific list. I was delighted to see “I know where I’m going” on there. If I were to add to your list, it would be “The enchanted cottage” (1945)-Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young. :-)

28. What, no ‘I’m asking you to marry me, you little fool.’ Laurence Olivier in Rebecca (1940). I’m not usually a fan of romances, but Rebecca is heaven. You’ve reminded me, I haven’t watched IKWIG for ages; I think I feel a wet Saturday afternoon coming on.

29. OK, I clearly need to brush up on my classics. I knew only three of those quotes, and they’d already been guessed. Great quiz!

30. 8. I think it might be Beck’s biography about mistaken identity – “In Suspicious Circumstances”

31. Your list could very well have been MY list…..love each and every one of those movies, particularly “I Know Where I’m Going!” and “Brief Encounter”. Love early David Lean and anything Powell and Pressburger, especially “The Red Shoes”. I could live happily in the world of the past and do so through my love of old movies. It’s hard to find people who truly love these old gems the way I do, most seem to prefer the drivel that Hollywood churns out at an alarming pace. For some odd reason every 6 months or so I am compelled to watch “The Third Man”. I think it’s the zither music!

32. Okay. The clown pictures have been deleted.

33. What are memes? Things we’re supposed to remember? Well that leaves me out, I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night :-) Patti

34. Theresa in Italy says:

I didn’t have a clue. Either you have too much free time or I have been living too long in a house full of philistines whose idea of an intellectual flick is “Starship Troopers.” (It almost makes me glad the DVD player is broken.)

Both Lucy and the Alana socks are charming. Is it a trick of the light or does the new sock yarn really look like twine?

Have a good weekend!

35. well, i would have gotten most of them – and we could be separated at birth with our movie choices… love old movies. just last night saw a charming Hayley Mills and IAN MCSHANE (very young and very gorgeous)… directed by Dad John and written by Mom Mary. quite adorable.

so number 7 – is it one of the Miss Marple movies? that’s all i can come up with.

36. Well, I didn’t have a clue! I didn’t even get ONE right. *LOL* I guess I spend too much time knitting and not enough time watching the classics. ;0)

I’m guessing the shiny new yarn has tencel in it – but going on my previous form, that could be wrong too. ;0)

37. ’40s movies – ahhhhhh. From another fan of vintage cinema….Bridge Over the River Kwai is great. I used to watch it with my Dad.

38. NewJerseyLaura says:

Mind if we dance with your dates?

39. Is #8 From Harvey?

40. I love old movies, too. I also adore Brief Encounter. I could watch that movie once a day and not get tired of it.

41. Kim Bradley says:

#8: Casablanca?

42. Hubby is guessing The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers for question #8.