1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

I started knitting Lismore over the weekend. And we all know what that means:

Corrugated ribbing.

Longtime readers of this blog will note that my distaste for and hatred of corrugated ribbing is well-documented in these here electronic pages. Not the results, mind you, the execution.

Usually I just suck it up and knit it: k2 with one color, p2 with another color, all the way around. But this time I decided to work it by working all the knit stitches and slipping the purl stitches all the way around, and then working all the purl stitches and slipping the knit stitches. So each round is accomplished by working around twice.

Just in case there were any questions, we filmed it.

(Blogline readers, there is a video embedded here.)

It takes me just about the same amount of time to work the ribbing this way as to work it the first way I mentioned. But it gave me a psychological boost to do it this way. icon smile My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

And I did complete the ribbing.

2377768523 c12e149b7f m My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

Ribbing033108.jpg

And I’ve made some progress beyond the ribbing:

2377767983 0e4ea2bbc0 m My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

Lismore033108.jpg

Kay’s Diamonds and Purls Shawl

Thank you for all the nice comments on the shawl. I will try to get a photo of it on a human, but that might not be until the weekend. Here it is on Gwendolyn, over my Agatha shawl:

2377768871 29360ee116 m My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

Shawl033108.jpg

There were a bunch of questions about the shawl.

I will make the pattern available for sale, but it needs to be test-knit first. Which brings me to another point. If you are interested in test-knitting it (particularly in a smaller size and/or heavier yarn) do let me know, via the “contact me” link over in the sidebar. (I’ve got my test-knitters, thanks!) The very large shawl that I made took about 1100 yards of laceweight yarn and was knit on a 3.75mm needle. I think I have a test knitter for fingering weight yarn. So if you are interested and have some experience knitting lace, let me know.

Yes, I blocked it by pining it to the carpet. No I did not use the foam blocks. Why? Because the shawl was too large for the blocks I have. If you don’t know what I’m talking about in reference to foam blocks, see this blog entry, which has a link back to an entry where I discussed ordering the blocks.

I soaked the shawl in warm water with Soak woolwash, and then rinsed it in warm water until I was sure there’d be no color running off. (The water was tinted slightly during the woolwash bath). Then using T-pins, I pinned it out on the carpet.

Lucy might lie on a shawl while it is blocking, but she doesn’t otherwise mess with it.

Oh, and I think that the photos of the shawl blocking are more true to color than the unblocked photo.

Peace Socks

My new sock pattern has been dubbed “Peace Socks” because I think the design looks like stylized dove wings. I asked yesterday if the pattern looked somehow familiar to you — it was the Embossed Leaves pattern that I was thinking of. I looked it up and while it does remind me of my socks, the pattern is indeed quite different.

2377769093 6718fe311d m My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

sock033108.jpg

However, the pattern is quite similar to the Baudelaire Socks, which some of you mentioned. Not identical, but very close. So I won’t be writing up this.

Lucy Fur

A number of you asked if I save Lucy’s fur for spinning. I don’t, but I used to. Check this blog entry for some Lucy fur yarn, spun by L-B.

I did knit Lucy a catnip mouse from that yarn, and she still has it. It’s pretty bedraggled now, because she used to carry it around with her everywhere, like a favorite doll.

2377768213 0fd243a0f4 m My Nemesis: Corrugated Ribbing

Lucy033108.jpg

Coming Tomorrow!

Tune in tomorrow for a special blogiversary contest!!

Comments

1. Lismore is positively STUNNING! Thanks for taking the time to do the video of your alternative approach too – those videos are really helpful.

Lucy looks like she has her eyes on a bird :-)

2. I’m in love with Lismore already, it is stunningly beautiful as is your Kay’s Diamonds & Purls shawl. I appreciate your corrugated ribbing helpful hint & video as I have some Fair Isle sweaters in my future.

3. I love the Lismore! Gorgeous!

Gorgeous kitty must be watching a bird, window cleaner, cloud formations, etc.

BLOGIVERSARY CONTEST! Hooray!

luv.m.

4. Sunnyknitter says:

Another thumbs up for the Lismore and, of course, a paws up to Lucy. If I was a quicker lace knitter, I’d be all over the test knitting. I’ve got four lace project scheduled for this year, so maybe by next year I’ll have picked up some speed.

5. Hello! I’m just now reading your book; borrowed it from the library and think that I may just have to go buy it anyway! :o)
    So I hear you about the corrugated ribbing, and NEAT video; I think it’s very helpful AND a great idea to get around…haha get around!
    Anyway, since I’m in the middle of your book and now having watched the video of you knitting…
    yea, you knit weird.
    I’m a thrower; wanna be picker. The closest I get is two handed fairisle and my excuse for not just biting the bullet and going continental is…
    I have so many projects on the go at one time that to switch techniques would mess up my tension mid project. How’s that for an excuse?
    So, yea, you knit weird, but you also knit BEAUTIFULLY!
    Looking forward to more photos and videos. Any more books in the works?

6. Oh! Such a clever way to do corrugated ribbing. Thanks for sharing that!

7. Well, if you’re going to go through all that trouble to do the corrugated knitting, it had better look at least that pretty at the end. I’d do it, but I wouldn’t like the process very much, no matter how I had to knit it.

The colors you’re using are so vibrant that I love the look of the finished ribbing.

8. Wow, that sweater is going to be stunning. I don’t think I’ve seen you make very many things quite that bright and colorful before — it’s downright psychedelic!

9. KatieBug says:

Thanks for the tips about the foam blocks. I think that might go over better with my boyfriend, as we live in a tiny apartment and those can be moved out of the way a bit. However, the link in the previous post (where you reference the post from the previous Tuesday) doesn’t go to anything. Where can I find those blocks?

I also love the new sweater! I figured I would like it based on the colorway. I simply adore rainbow patterns. And I love the pattern!

10. I’m LOVING that Lismore sweater! I just may have to give this fairisle a shot!

Have to ask….Is that your voice in the video? If so, it so doesn’t fit the voice I have in my head when I read your blog! Crazy!

11. Don’t you just LOVE the Kauni yarn?!? I’m doing a variation of the Ruth Sorenson sweater (with X’s and hearts instead of rectangles…cause I’m huggy like that) and have had such a wonderful time watching the colors change! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, too!

12. I’ve always avoided corrugated ribbing, as I thought–no, knew–that knitting it would be a PITA. I watched your little film, and that looks like an awesome way to do it. I’ll be filing that away in the memory banks for future reference. Very cool. TFS!

13. Squeeeeee! I love when you post video of yourself knitting! I am totally fascinated and I called my husband and sons and made them watch too. They said, “Uh-huh,” and wandered away. They know nothing about cool knitting techniques, poor guys.

14. it may be Evil Corrugated Ribbing, but it certainly is beautiful. and its beauty is enhanced by those of us in the know because of its Evilness. i like watching your projects grow (so quickly!)

15. You have the most interesting way of knitting I’ve seen in a long time. It seems like it should be slow, but it’s obviously not! :)

Different is good.

16. Lismore in rainbow Kauni? What’s next ;-)

17. Mellanie says:

Thanks for the video. The sweater looks great!

18. That sweater is just remarkable. Thanks for the video. I’ve never seen corrugated ribbing before (or at least didn’t know that I was seeing it), so it’s doubly interesting to me.

19. Thank you for sharing all your tips. They are a great help. Congratulations to Lucy on her restraint. I have to block items in a locked room as my cats pull out the blocking pins. I’m always afraid they will swallow one…

20. I love the Lismore, what a great use for the Kauni I have to agree with you about corrugated ribbing. I am stuck in the middle of some. I might try it your way. Thanks for the hint.

21. I’ve never done corrugated ribbing (I’d have scratched my eyes out first! I hate k2p2 ribbing as is!) ;) but that’s an awfully neat trick and now I might have to try it!

And I had to pout a bit, I’d love to test knit, but I’ve never knit lace. I’ve actually spent the last week browsing the internet for a lace pattern to start with, because after seeing so many, I’ve decided its time to try! :)

22. That is such a neat way to do the corrugated ribbing. Thanks for the video. Was Lucy behind the camera? ;-)

How are you getting so much of that dark blue background color on Lismore? Have you been cutting the yarn? I just love that sweater.

23. Wendy, did you really get the Kauni from The Loopy Ewe? (I was reading your work in progress info in the right column) I think I’m having a middle-aged moment ’cause I can’t find it there and I don’t remember it being announced (not that THAT necessarily means anything ;-)

24. PainterWoman says:

Gorgeous!

25. I would test-knit in whatever weight. I have plenty of lace yarn for a smaller laceweight, but I’d do whatever.

26. Meribeth says:

A cup of espresso and Wendy demonstrating corrugated ribbing. What a wonderful way to start the day! Wendy, that is brilliant! I do have a stupid question…slipping like that, seems like it may take out the fear of the ribbed edge stretch, that has caused many knitter to search for the wine bottle. Am I to hopeful?

I would love to offer my services for test knitter if you ever feel the need to make sure it is totally idiot proof. That is my specialty, ya know.

27. Liz in IN says:

FAB corrugated rib technique! I will definitely be giving that a go (probably on mittens, though, not a sweater).

Lucy looks so regal on her wing chair, monarch of all she surveys through the window.

The shawl is breathtaking–can’t wait to see it on a real human being. No offence to Gwendolyn.

There’s a wonderful search tool here on the innernets. Nope, it’s not called “Wendy”. It’s called “Google”. And it’s amazing. Try it! ;)

28. I totally feel for you on the ribbing. I’m working on Donegal by Starmore and the ribbing almost sunk the project for me, and it seems like every one of the sweaters from the Celtic Collection is like that. I have to admit that after the ribbing, I knit about 6 rows and then ran away and started working on lace. I’m almost done with the Kiri shawl now, so I’ll probably hop back on with knitting Donegal again in this next week. Really like your color choice for the sweater!

29. I am so pleased to see that your new project is a sweater. I have not been bitten by the sock-madness, and have missed seeing you create the wonderful AS sweaters. Good tip in the ribbing! thanks!

30. Wendy,
    You are such a prolific knitter….I , too work full time and am lucky to get in two hours of knitting in the evenings. Even with your opportunity to knit during your commute I don’t understand how you manage to get so much done on your projects in a single day. Are you super fast or do you just not sleep??

31. I can’t wait to see how Lismore turns out. I also have some Kauni yarn, but I didn’t want to join the cult of little squares!

32. Holy beautiful sweater, Batman!

I’m so jealous :) That is a GORGEOUS piece of work already… inspirational even.

I can’t wait to see how it finishes up.

33. I love the idea of knitting and slipping when working the corrugated ribbing. It sounds like it would be so much easier. I also love the gradual change of color with your yarn. Beautiful.

34. Thanks so much for posting the video of corrugated ribbing. I’ve never tried this, and I am about to. It looks so easy when you do it, that I’m hoping it will be for me also.

35. Wendy, you are amazing. It will take me a LOT longer to reach the same point in the sweater as you have already. You are fast. Lismore is looking great. The Kauni is really beautiful here. I appreciate the technique for the corrugated ribbing. Sounds so much easier!

36. HeatherB says:

Hi Wendy – I comment about once a year (maybe), but I read every blog entry. Everything you knit is exquisite and you’ve been an inspiration to me. Today, the picture of Lismore made me gasp – it’s beauty, combined with the technique you’re using just took my breath away. I think it’s something I might try in future, if I’m ever brave enough. Thanks for blogging!

37. Gah! The new sweater is just going to be awesome. I love it already! Love today’s Lucy shot. :)

38. WOW. Wow wow wow wow wow. I initially had my doubts about the Kauni Lismore, but I take it all back: that is STUNNING. I love it!

I completely love working corrugated ribbing — but I knit Continental, with both yarns in the left hand for colorwork, and I use Norwegian purling to do the purling for it. The Norwegian purl is a seriously fun stitch, all swoopy and intricate, so I actually relish the case where it really makes sense to use it.

39. I can;’t believe how much knitting you get done and work full time, a mystery; and I loved starting my day with your video, how sweet is that? and watching you knit so unusual, and so beautiful to watch, even more puzzling how you get so much knitting in. Great tutorial and thanks so much.

40. i love the look of the yarn with your pattern (peace socks) it looks like the color flows so nicely, i love your blog.

41. Ann in CT says:

I see the KOARC is doing documentaries now. :-)
    I like the way the colors in the new sock seem to be highlighting the cable/pattern. Of course, try to get that to happen on purpose.
    And the sweater is lovely.

42. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen you knit, Wendy. I remember you writing at some point that the way you hold your needles and yarn was “different”. So now I know. I’ve seen the knit/slip//purl/slip done also for patterns having 3 yarn colors on each row. I’ve also seen where a facing is knit first, then the hem done all in knit (no ribbing!) and then the facing and hem knit together on the first body row.

Lismore’s colors are great–they definitely pop out on the screen!

43. Jo Morgan says:

Wendy, thanks for the idea for a different way of doing the ribbing. I also read about this idea of slipping for Dale patterns with three colors in a row? Was that in your blog–senior moment, I can’t remember. In any case, I think this way of doing the two color ribbing is much more effecient. Thanks!

44. LOVE the video! Will file that technique for the day I finally get my nerve to try colorwork. (No, it probably won’t be this year…too much else on my queue, boohoo!) Your voice is pitched lower than I “heard it” in my mind’s ear!

The shawl is gorgeous, and the photo of Lucy in the chair? Well, not only is the gal gorgeous (I know, we knew that), but so is the throw!
    (((Hugs)))

45. The sweater is beautiful. You are so good! I’m sure Lucy is a big help!

46. That’s a great idea for the corrugated ribbing. I’ve never really wrapped my mind around how to do it (I’ll further admit that I haven’t really tried), so it is great to see an alternative using skills I know I already have.

47. Yours is a fascinating take on corrugated ribbing. Looks like more fun than the other way. What tension did you use for the carried yarn? How stretchy is the final result? The corrugated ribbing I’ve done in the past wasn’t very stretchy.

48. Oh sure! I just finished a sweater with 6inches of corrugated ribbing and 4 inches on the bottom hem of a skirt. (I have 2 inches left to corrugate on the waist band). A tad monotonous and wrist breaking. I’ll give your trick a try!
    Lovin’ the sweater.

49. I love watching your hands work – your style is very different from mine, and you make it look magical. :)

50. I am truly becoming envious of your 2 hour (if I recall correctly) commute!! Since I’ve started working full time in the office as the AM dispatcher I am getting very little actual knitting done. Getting up at 4:30, working 10 hours or so, coming home and performing the minimum amount of work required to still qualify as a mother and getting to be by 9 to get my 7 hours of sleep (I think that I’m missing out on the magically 8th hour which is probably the “beauty” part of beauty sleep) leaves about 1 actual hour for knitting. I guess that’s what is referred to as “quality time”!!! LOL I certainly am making the most of weekends and while I’m enjoying the work I am equally looking forward to it being over.

51. As I am knitting the continental way I just want to tell you how I do corrugated ribbing. I take the thread for purling on my left hand and I take the other thread loosely along the back side of the knitting in my left palm, so I can just take it up for knitting it through as often as is necessary. BY the way, I do all my fair isle work this way: the pattern colour on the hand and the background colour stringed along loosely in the palm. And in some kinds of colour work where there is a third thread I let it hang down to the right and take it over to the left just for knitting it through when it has its turn, but taking care about a smooth tension of course.
    Best wishes, especially to Lucy!

Trackbacks