Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

My Knitting Bag

Thanks for the nice comments about ny new blog template. We are still tinkering, so pardon our dust.

The bag pictured in yesterday’s blog entry is a Lexie Barnes “Lady B” bag, in the Dutch Treat fabric. It’s a distinct possibility that the fabric has been discontinued, because I don’t see it among the current offerings on the Lexie Barnes website.

knittingbag040808 240x160 My Knitting Bag

I also have (in the same fabric) a “Superstar” messenger bag, a little “Gem” shoulder bag, and a “Redondo” (a large tote bag which may be a discontinued model).

Yes, I like Lexie Barnes bags. ๐Ÿ˜€

I have many many (many) knitting bags, and the Lady B is by far my favorite. I got it in June 2006 when I was on my book tour. When I did a signing at The Yarn Lounge in Richmond, it was there, waiting for me. Stewart (the owner of The Yarn Lounge) told me that Lexie had sent it there as a gift for me. I loved it the moment I clapped eyes on it, and I still love it.

I’ll likely take it as my carry-on bag when I travel to St. Louis at the end of this month for The Loopy Ewe Spring Fling.

Lismore Report

I’m almost finished with the body. I could have finished it last night but I was particularly tired and went to bed early instead.

lismore040808 240x160 My Knitting Bag

As you can see, we have a neck steek.

necksteek040808 240x160 My Knitting Bag

When the body is complete, I might go ahead and do the neckband next. I sometimes like to do that before the sleeves, so that there is less sweater hanging off my needles as I knit the neckband. The pattern calls for a turtleneck, but my Lismore will have a crew neck. If I had a long swan-like neck, I’d consider a making a turtleneck version, but I don’t, so I won’t.

And I think I’ll just go ahead and cut the steeks without reinforcing anything. I like to live dangerously.

I got home late today, so the neckband will not be started tonight. Maybe tomorrow night.

Menawhile, Lucy is attempting to memorize the pattern by osmosis.

lucy040808 240x160 My Knitting Bag

Comments

1. Carol Lee says:

Wendy, I like the blog’s new look! The BIG picture of Lucy is wonderful.

I’m actually in need a some knitting advice (if you have time) – after you completed row 9 of the Agatha shawl, how exactly did you pick up and do the k1, yo, y2, yo piece? Normally when I’m picking up stitches, I pick then up, THEN knit them, but I can’t do there here.

I’m finally gotten a result that looks like it’s supposed to (I think) – I was working on this late the last few nights, but I’ve love to hear how others have successfully handled this.

Many thanks!

Carol in Prince George, VA

2. Love the new format and the Lismore…I look forward to meeting you at the Fling

3. Love the new blog look!! Lucy is definitely the **star** !!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Am watching the Lismore progress with envy and awe!

Lucy, you smart darling kitty! I bet YOU could knit and steek if you wanted to! ๐Ÿ˜‰

luv.m.

4. I really like the new look, too.

The Lismore is gorgeous and the colors are wonderful. I can’t wait to see the finished masterpiece!

Of course, Lucy is always a masterpiece of felinity.

5. That sweater is gorgeous!! I’m coveting it!

6. where are the socks? have you been knitting lismore on public transportation?

7. Valerie says:

Your sweater is gorgeous! I am making the AS Oregon Vest and am so envious of your being near the steek- cutting phase. I love cutting steeks and the whole steek construction.
    I agree about the Lexie Barnes bags; I have the Lady B in the Viona pattern and it is fabulous. I have the Ham’s Jam bag, too, and it is my current favourite being from TLE and all, so I can’t decide which to carry on the flight to the Fling. The fact that the Lexie Barnes zips shut is an advantage in case of turbulence etc., I guess.

8. I love the giant Lucy pic too! That’s a great looking bag. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Hi Wendy, I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now. While I am always indpired by your lovely knitted goodies, and your photography is really cool as well, I am STILL trying to figure out how you knit so bloody fast! What is your secret, woman?!

10. Lismore is so breathtaking…… I think perhaps I will have to try some of that colorwork. (takes big deep breath, and exhales loudly…) Maybe in a month or so (smile)

11. Barb Outside Boston says:

What’s more to say than Ravelry is basically BOSTON-based! OK, ok, that might not go for everyone, but when I met Jess & Chris at the Yarn Harlot’s reading last summer, they are amazing people–thank you fricknits and you Wendy.

12. Mellanie says:

I share your love of the Lexi bags. I also have several and haven’t been disappointed with any of them. The sweater looks fantastic.

13. Laura from Italy says:

I am very curious to see the inside of the Lismore. Will you show it when you are done? You are very brave… I am scared to death of skeeting… Give Lucy a belly rub from me. Happy Knitting!

14. Laura from Italy says:

Sorry… STEEKING, not steeking… lol

15. Laura from Italy says:

Whatever… lol . It is not yet 6.30 am here and I should be getting ready to face my 150 students at school… Cut me some slack for being a little out of my mind still…. I will improve as the morning goes by, hopefully.

16. Theresa in Italy says:

Ask Lucy if memorizing the pattern by osmosis works—I might want to try that.

17. anne marie in philly says:

WOW! lerve the new format!

steven and meredith say: “we like the big pictures of our famous cousin lucy the best!”

18. Aha! Thatยดs why I never manage to memorize a pattern. I must learn to do it by osmosis, too. Thanks for the tip, Lucy.

19. Wendy- In the bag world, you are THE Legend!

(I mean that in the kindest way possible)
    I guess you’ll be meeting the Wollmeise- give her a hug for me.

20. Long-time reader, rare poster: *LOVE* this sweater. I just can’t get over the fact that it’s actually the same yarn, just different places in the colorway. I’m going to have to try this myself.

21. This truly takes my breath away. And not just because of steeks!

22. Dr. Jackie says:

Wendy…
    Sorry for what is probably an extremely naive question…but could you explain the purpose/function of “steeks” for those of us not in-the-know??
    Thanks!

23. I love the LB bag fabric..and your new site…Lucy looks adorable in the bag..she is checking it out!!! She’s ready to go!

24. I love the clean lines of your new template.

I love knitting bags, but I can’t afford to develop a knitting bag addiction to go with the yarn addiction. It would quickly become too many hobbies, not enough time or money.

25. Thanks for mentioning the new blog template — I usually read on Bloglines, so don’t see it. I like it; it’s so clean and helpful!

26. Those colors are beautiful, but I especially love Lucy in the knitting bag. I have two cats in mine right now.

27. I’ve been absolutely drooling over the new Lexie Barnes Jinx bag.

Daisy’s last blog post..A new direction