1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day. Have you hugged a tree today?

Every year, the agency where I work has a week long spring cleaning event that coincides with Earth Day. We are all encouraged to clean out our files, recycle the recycle-ables, be mindful of the planet, et cetera and so on.

To announce the week-long spring cleaning in conjunction with Earth Day, a flyer was made. And thousands of full-color copies of it were printed, plastered all over the building, and given to every one of the approximately 5,000 employee.

Ironic, no? I guess it never occurred to the Powers That Be that a global email would be more appropriate and in keeping with the spirit if the day. They certainly send out enough of them announcing other stuff.

Twisted Logic Sock

Behold the first Twisted Logic Sock.

twistedlogicfront042208 160x240 Earth Day

I actually finished this sock on Friday night, shortly after completing Lismore, but wanted to save it for future blog fodder because I knew that good blog fodder would be thin on the ground this week.

twistedlogicside042208 160x240 Earth Day

What? Doesn’t everyone have a disembodied leg on their dining room table?

I’m actually more than halfway done with the second Twisted Logic Sock. I just turned the heel.

heel042208 240x160 Earth Day

Rats! What was I thinking? I should have saved that for tomorrow’s blog post.

These socks are somewhat slow going because of all the traveling and twisting that the stitches do, but I do love a good twisted traveling stitch, so that’s no problem. And I finished the prep work for my Spring Fling classes last night, so I’ll be able to work on the second sock a bit tonight. I hope. Don’t know if I’ll have it finished before the Fling, however.

This never fails to crack me up:

lucy042208a 240x159 Earth Day

Comments

1. I love that sock. It seems to be made for long walks under flowering trees. There! Both topics covered. Seriously, this is one very cool sock. And I would love to kiss Lucy’s belly when she’s exposing it like that.

2. Lucy is demonstrating a twisted travelling stitch.

Cathy-Cates last blog post..Back from camp, more later

3. Hah! We have the same problem with too many paper flyers at my agency, too. We’re so computer-focussed that most people don’t even check their paper-mail boxes, so I scan the flyers and email them to everyone anyway. Easier for me, everyone gets the message, and the flyers go into the recycle bin.

4. I love these socks. And I’m relieved — when I just looked at the pictures at first, I thought you managed to climb up on your table for the pics (imagining Wendy hanging onto the chandelier!!) It’s disembodied. Like, from the spare parts closet. Whew again. :-)

Daves last blog post..Twist and Shout

5. patricia says:

Cool sock! I like the disembodied partial leg too. I thoughts that what it was!

6. juliette says:

Looks like Lucy’s having her own Spring Fling

7. Lucy looks just like a feather duster.

Great sock ( as usual) I have yet to finish my first sock. I will
    not be attempting a pattern on my first socks. I hope to have them finished before I pass on to my reward !

8. Ohmygosh! Those socks are stunning. STUNNING.

9. Love the Twisted Logic sock! I’ve been thinking I need one of those disembodied legs for sock modeling. I’m afraid of what sort of things would turn up, though, if I Google “disembodied leg;” what should a person call it, if she’s looking for one?

I see a Lucy-belly!

juless last blog post..Happy Earth Day!

10. Lucy looks like she has a belly of dandelion fluff! Don’t you just love the cute/funny poses? My girls have a couple. LOVE the Twisted Logic socks! It’s OK, you can post the same pictures tomorrow – or just refer us back to oogle them. Good knitting tonight.

Sandra Ds last blog post..Not Kidding

11. I usually just lurk, but had to comment today to say “Yay Lendrum!”… and also that I crack up every time my kitties do that too. Especially when the boy kitty falls asleep like that :o).

Megans last blog post..Potpourri — Part 1 and a Contest!

12. The socks are great, love them. Love Lucy in her present pose. Makes me want to rub her tummy. Cats are so great. She always makes me think of my Jack who has the same markings. Oh, I can’t believe any thing is slow going for you. You are fast.

13. I had my own bit of Earth Day irony here today. It was our trash day and starting today thru mid-May the city will collect yard waste and all of it will be composted. So, I put my leaves, branches, etc out and doesn’t it just get picked up with everything else. UGH, I was very annoyed, but what can you do? The good news is from what I could see, most of the neighbor’s yard waste was picked up in the special pickup.

Would you share with us the topics of the classes that you’re teaching at the Spring Fling? It’s always nice to know what we are missing:-).

Love your new sock pattern & Lucy is looking too cute as usual.

Sherrys last blog post..Upside down shot

14. Ohh I am determined to learn to knit socks this summer! I have no real LYS, so I’ve found a spiffy DVD for assistance. Although reading directions are grand, and so are pictures, I need to see someone in action!

My cat sleeps like that – for hours at a time. Sometimes flat on her back with all four legs splayed out. She’s fluffy – just like Ms. Lucy. Her favorite place is the very top of my upholsterd chair.. Strangely, she straddles the top of the chair and just hangs out. She’s a nut.

Megan S.s last blog post..And We’re Moving On To Cat Hair

15. Those socks are GORGEOUS! They sort of remind me of Chanukah menorahs & could even BE a bunch of menorahs if they had 8 prongs instead of 6! :)

Cheers,
    Jessica

Jessicas last blog post..Poncho progress & photo

16. PS we’ve caught our cats in many funky positions… splat cats w/legs splayed on the floor or over a couch arm like a bear rug, upside down like Lucy… so amusing, cats!

Jessicas last blog post..Poncho progress & photo

17. I love it when they look upside down – (Lucy & her kind)
    I love the sock, too!

Cindys last blog post..Status Bars wanted

18. Fabulous sock! Wonderful disembodied leg. Perfect Halloween paraphenalia! Lucy is doing an interpretive dance dedicated to the socks name! Isn’t she just too adorable?

Our hospital had a list of Earth-Day friendly items they engage in posted outside the cafeteria. However, that didn’t stop a doc coming into the library asking for 25 copies of a 15 page handout for his presentation. Ay carumba. My guess is that 24 of those 25 copies will find their way into the trash. Don’t get me started.

WHAT?!!?? No Lucy pics while U R at Spring Fling? Oh…. maybe you’ll be gone the days you normally don’t post. If it goes beyond that perhaps the KOARC could post some Lucy pics. Your readers need their Lucy fix!!! :-) Luv.m.

19. I Love Interpretive Kitty poses. My Tux, Charlie, also does the Interpretive Kitty Dances like Lucy and the boys, well they just sleep in whatever position the drop in, curled up, upside down, belly up half and half…well you get the Idea, LOL!
    The Twisted Logic socks are looking very nice, I hopeyou are able to finish them intime for the SPring Fling!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..The Socks, They are FINISHED!!

20. How about organic produce that’s packaged in styrofoam?

Magss last blog post..A Failed Swatch.

21. I love Lismore, and after seeing how the Kauni yarn turned out I’m dying to try that out to. May I enquire as to where you purchased it?
    I’m equally picky about my cabled patterns, and really, patterns in general. I like my knitting time to be valuable and fantastic, so really exquisite patterns and yarn are things I’m constantly searching for.
    On that note, I love the Twisted Logic socks, and if your in need of a test knitter, I’d love to volunteer! I can’t wait to see this pattern available.
    My ragdoll, Lilli, loves to pose for the camera and she specializes in being dead center of all photographs. Although, I have noticed she prefers being photographed with self striping yarn. Perhaps because her coat is composed of subtle variations of color.
    I’m excited to see the finished pair of Twisted Logic posed together. On a photo note, I’d like to see another close-up of the lovely stitch pattern. Thank you for being a knitting inspiration!

Kelseys last blog post..My Fate Is Sealed

22. Kind of like the letter sent by the powers that be, that we would be getting the tax incentive. It cost 42 million dollars just to send the letter!
    Go figure.
    I REALLY love the sock pattern. Very attractive. So is the leg!
    Were your ears burning tonight? Alice & I were talking about you at Knit Night. Don’t worry, it was all good!

23. Oh my… I love it (twisted logic) even more now than I did before!!!
    Thanks for a look at it…
    I’m still trying to wait patiently, but I am not patient..

24. I like how the yarn looks like faded denim with that pattern.

Punkins last blog post..Too Funny

25. Meribeth says:

I worked for a semiconductor company that was designed to be paperless. But it came to a realization that management can’t offer proof that they are really doing a job unless the grind the daylights out of a forest of trees and go through 5 copiers a week. And yes, the more colorful and shiney the paper the better.
    I just pray that Earth Day will turn into something other than a fad.
    I so love those socks! I will be making some, even if I have to deal with more twisted stitches. And that is saying a lot.
    Nothing better than a flirty Lucy pic, flashing her belly poof!

26. I work in a law firm, and the green law firm is a huge push this year (a few of the legal pubs have had special issues about it). Like many things done by large law firms, the switch to green has been very deliberate. We’re being encouraged to not print everything out and the announcement made yesterday about greening the firm was sent via email and not sent as a printed memo. Good steps!

27. I want a disembodied leg. It would be so handy to have around.

Love the socks.

beckys last blog post..Contest

28. Liz in IN says:

I can’t believe nobody has referenced this yet: So, is the leg also a lamp? A Twisted Logic sock lamp is so much classier than the original fishnet stocking leg lamp!

Del poses like that, too. So adorable it hurts.

29. I hugged a tree on Sunday. Honestly. DH and I went for a walk and got caught in the rain. I was just saying thank you to a particularly verdant and very convenient holly tree.

Mandellas last blog post..Third Time Lucky

30. Every time I read that stuff about the Federal paper reduction act (can’t remember the exact title) while digging through the mountains of paper that are being required, I laugh.

31. Ah, the twists and turns of corporate “logic”… at least they go nicely with the socks, which are *really* cool! Maybe if Corporate America had Twisted Logic socks, it (they?) would think more clearly.

Hm. I wonder if you could start a seminar about “Improved Workflow and Cogitation through Specially Designed Ped-Coverings” and get whole corporations knitting together as a “team-building, stress-reducing and better critical thinking retreat”? I could probably talk my firm into going, since one of the partners is a knitter…

CraftyGryphons last blog post..Contests, Pandas, and Virtue Rewarded

32. Great socks! Blog fodder: Post secrets about L-B to get even with her for calling you a Bag Ho in her Loopy Ewe interview.

Tans last blog post..Critical Mass?

33. marianne y says:

It cracks me up, that an annual spring cleaning event, coinciding with Earth Day, would have a full color printed brochure (full color is bad for the Earth, in the first place) created! Couldn’t they at least have a paperless announcement for Earth Day – I guess they haven’t heard of pdf files? Crazy people! If they really felt they must print it, they could have at least done it in gray-scale, sigh, as that would be better for the environment!

Love the picture of Lucy, upside down! It cracks me up when my dogs sleep upside down, too, which they do pretty often!

Have a great trip to the Spring Fling! I wish I could be there to meet you and the others, but it was not meant to be, at least this year. I hope I can, sometime. I know you will have a wonderful time! :-)

34. JoAnn - WI says:

Your Twisted Logic socks are awesome! I love the design. Will this be available for purchase through TLE at some point? I also thought (for a fleeting moment) that you were standing on a table, but then thought otherwise. Love the leg.
    My male collie-shepherd also likes to lay like Lucy does, so it’s not just the kitties that it appeals to.
    Thanks also for emailing me the Pink Floyd sweater photos. I got a good laugh at your blog post at the time referring to your younger days at Pink Floyd concerts. Been there, done that….. cool sweater, by the way. I just have a black hoodie sweatshirt with that Dark Side logo that I wear proudly (since the tatoo isn’t in a place to be seen :)

35. Well, I hope all the fliers were at least recycled.

elises last blog post..lack

36. Um, no. That would be weird. I have a head. Doesn’t everyone?

Robs last blog post..Designing my space/Meeting knitters in SA

37. You can make your own disembodied leg/foot by following the instructions here:

Jessica

38. Jo Morgan says:

I loved the leg. It was so beautiful, I wanted to write and ask what kind of exercise program you were doing to make your leg look that good. Was I disappointed when I found it it was disembodied. lol

39. LucyLover says:

Ahhhhhhhhhh fluffy Lucy tummy!

40. They made a bunch of PAPER flyers to promote EARTH DAY? I have never heard anything like that.

I was actually disappointed with the number of people who showed up in green on Tuesday… I tried to high five a friend who was in green and he rolled his eyes and informed me he hadn’t done it “on purpose.”

41. P.S. The sock is a beaut. I am having knee-high envy…

42. You´ll have to do a Twisting Cat Sock next –
    inspired by Lucy.

Johannes last blog post..Oh, Happy Days!