1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Cha-cha-changes

Last night I got most of my first Ninja sock done.

sock052008 240x160 Cha cha changes

This morning I got an email pointing out that it is very close in design to a sock pattern that is already available. (This is no doubt because the main motif came from a stitch dictionary.)

sock052008a 240x160 Cha cha changes

Back to the drawing board.

Actually, while working on the first sock, some changes occurred to me. Changes that would make a pretty big difference in the look of the sock. I’ve re-jiggered the pattern and will knit the second sock with my revised chart and see what I can see. So I’ll have a mis-matched pair. icon smile Cha cha changes

Oh, and I’m changing the name of the design to “Six-Pack Socks.” Why? Just because I like the way it sounds.

A couple of people asked about my design process. It varies. Sometimes I chart up a design that’s in my head and start knitting. Sometimes I start with a motif from a stitch dictionary and go from there. I’ll make minor and sometimes major adjustments to a motif to make it work in my socks. I always start with something charted up, whether from my fevered brain or from another source, but I will make adjustments to the chart as I knit, as needed. Sometimes I rip back to the toe several times before I’m satisfied with the way a design looks.

I realize that it would be useful to knit swatches of the design before putting it in a sock, but I don’t. As much as I hate to rip out my knitting, I really don’t mind ripping back on socks for some reason. Consistent I am not.

In other news, I am not having a good week. My knitting time in the evenings will be severely curtailed because I need to re-create something that the postal service “damaged” in transit. I do wonder how they get away with calling a package “damaged” when they rip a box open, empty out the contents, seal the box back up and deliver the empty box to the recipient. Sadly, all the pissing and moaning in the world (and believe me, I have done plenty) does not change the fact that I have to re-create the lost/stolen contents. I’m not out too much, moneywise, but I resent the loss of valuable time.

Okay, I’m done complaining. To reward you for listening to me whine, here is Lucy.

lucy052008 240x160 Cha cha changes

And if you come back tomorrow, not only do I promise not to whine, but I’ll show you something silly you might be eligible to win. Should you even remotely want it.

Comments

1. Ouch! I am never sure how much to trust any postal system (either government or things like UPS), because once they have your items the grievance procedures for things lost, stolen or damaged just seem very obtuse.

Hopefully it won’t take you very long to recreate the missing items.

Seanna Leas last blog post..Living her dreams

2. Oh Wendy, I am so sorry that the package was “damaged”. I would have been pissing and moaning if that had happened to me. Doesn’t give you much faith in the postal system. What ever sock you end up with I am sure it will be beautiful. Hugs to Lucy, and I hope you have a better week.

3. HeatherB says:

I heard about that – couldn’t believe it! I’ve had things disappear when sending them to Canada, but you’d think that within the U.S. a package could make it safely to its destination. You didn’t whine half as much as I would have, had it been me.

4. Frances says:

Sorry to hear you’re not having a good week! If it makes you feel any better, i don’t know anyone who is, especially me. I think the full moon may be responsible.
    I do love the ninja sock and I’m looking forward to seeing it reworked into the six pack sock. (but only if the new name does not refer to the amount of beer I am going to want to drink while I am knitting it! hee.)

5. Not everyone worries about duplicate patterns. Not sure it really matters, does it? I liked yours the way it was.

Tans last blog post..Getting to know you . . . er me . . . er meme

6. Whine away. That’s the best thing about having a blog – you can whine and get it out of your system!

lizs last blog post..No, really, I do still exist

7. Lucy seems unfazed–and that’s a good thing.

8. Wendy, just like everyone else, I can’t believe you’ve had to go through this. A “damaged” package is one thing, but one that’s been ripped open with contents stolen is another thing all together. While you are correct in saying it can’t be undone, I am wondering if a complaint to the area postal inspector was helpful, and if not, if you’ve thought about filing a complaint with the regional postal inspector. Since this was obviously something that happened in their chain of command they might well be interested in investigating the matter to see how wide-spread it’s been, if it’s confined to one post office, or is more extensive. Heck, they might even be able to find the thief and recover many other items in the process. In fact, they caught a guy here in the Charlotte area last week who had quit and had stashes of undelivered mail in his house!!!
    anyway, here’s hoping it doesn’t happen again. and BTW, I’m totally enjoying your blog postings and you’re even working my mind in a way that just might lead to knitting socks that aren’t color focused, but rather design focused. I really liked the one you’re working on right now…the “six-pack” set.
    connie in kannapolis, nc

9. Ay carumba. Do NOT get my husband started on the postal service. And will refrain from putting in my 2 cents worth. Bummer about the lost goods though.

On the other hand, I love the “six pack” socks 2 darling a name! :-) How appropriate right before the first long weekend of summer. My husband ain’t one much for a six pack, but he does enjoy a brewski when he’s BBQ-ing on a holiday weekend.

Lucy is an adorable, cute, sweet, darling kitty! luv.m.

10. I am so sorry about the Post Office mess — things like that happen here SO often that I can no longer take chances with ANY packages and must insure everything or risk not getting it or getting an empty/damaged package. I am convinced there is someone here that is a knitter that loves nice yarns!

On a bright note, NO ONE can take your brilliant design skills away from you :) LOVE this new sock as much as all the others — sorry you have to change it, but who knows, maybe the other one will even be better!

Here’s a hug {WENDY} hope it helps!

TheSockKnitters last blog post..A Sock Opera!

11. Oh, I love the “Ninja” socks. If you changed your pattern even by one stitch when you first charted it, wouldn’t that be sufficient to keep it from being like the other one? I hate to see you rip back such a beautiful sock. I know what you mean about the postal service. what a shame that you have to spend all that time and have to redo. I’m sorry. If I could help you, I would and will!!!

Elizabeths last blog post..It’s Official!!!

12. Dr. Jackie says:

Oh Wendy, I’m sorry you’re having such a bad week. I’ve had a similar experience being on the receiving end of a package that just never seemed to arrive. Turned up (eventually) back at the home of the sender! The contents looked like someone had rocked a refrigerator on the box (right over the “fragile-do not bend” sticker, I might add). The postal service made the claim that it was her fault for packaging it incorrectly! FPS.

I love your Ninja socks! I’m sure the revised version will be just as lovely (though, really…who cares if it is similar to something that is already out there???). Can’t wait to see the pattern up on TLE!

Just go drink that six-pack…and I’m sure that the week will look better (even if it’s not really :) )

13. after reading my first message again — it SHOULD have read “but knowing you — the next one will be even better”! Why don’t you offer us an edit button, huh?? ::gg::

TheSockKnitters last blog post..A Sock Opera!

14. I LOVE your Ninja socks just as is, but I know the next version will be just as beautiful. So sorry to hear about the problem with your package–that one hurts! Ear scritches to Miss Lucy and hugs to you.

15. Raye, mother of the other Capricorn Wendy says:

” …calling a package “damaged” when they rip a box open, empty out the contents, seal the box back up and deliver the empty box to the recipient”

Makes you wonder whether they (the postal workers) read your blog and figure there’s something worth stealing, doesn’t it?

16. {hugs} i’m currently nervous as a baby sweater was sent and well, I’ve not yet heard about it being received. stupid-penny didn’t insure it.

may your recreating go quickly and easily. wish i could help…

pennys last blog post..eco ego

17. There are times when a well placed complaint to a regional postal inspector may do some good, especially when ALL the contents were lost. If these were the patterns to TLE (which is my assumption but I could be wrong) then you have a complaint eligible for compensation (assuming you insured). But you didn’t insure, did you? Because nothing like this ever happened before and probably never will again. Life can stink.

But Lucy certainly is cute enough to take your mind off it.

18. The six-pack-socks will always be ninja warrior socks to me . . . especially as I’m planning on purchasing the pattern and knitting them for a good friend who loves Ninja Warrior.

USPS sucks. I received a box lid from them . . . it was cleanly severed from the rest of the box as with a box cutter and the note with it stated that my “address label had become detached from the package and the package lost.” Weasels. Since then, I prefer that packages from Canada come via courier rather than the postal services, and packages from the US that must go in the mail get insured.

RobynRs last blog post..The Problem With Monogamy

19. You have soooo earned the right to whine. Go ahead! Have fun! We’ll still be here when you finish.

20. UGH!!! i totally feel your post service pain-this just happened to me about a month ago but the worst part was i lost about 80% of the contents and when i asked if there was some kind of lost and found they said yes but not one of the 6 people i spoke to over the span of a couple weeks where i tried to get my items back could tell me how to contact the lost and found. One person gave me a number but it didnt work-i think they just did it to get me to leave them alone haha
    Hope your remake goes quickly and i am sure Lucy will help keep you happy during that time :)

Myriams last blog post..Goodies in the Mail and in the Kitchen

21. Beth P. says:

I like that new name!! But, I hope you don’t change the pattern too much, it’s quite pretty as it is!!!

22. I love the sock, whatever you’re calling it! And, yes, the Postal Service — I think they’ve had a bad month. I’ve gotten destroyed — excuse me, “damaged”– mail at both home and work recently…

And I love silly, whatever it is!

jannas last blog post..Socks and Stuff

23. Dorothy says:

A few weeks ago I received an order……kniting oriented….. and in it, besides my actual order, were items used in welding. All my items were there but there were these other things that obviously did not come from any knitting shop and I wondered if they found these things and decided to open my box and stick them in there. I felt I should report it because obviously I received items that were suppose to go to some one else but then I decided they would have no clue. I absolutely hate it when my mail gets messed with and I felt guilty for having some one elses mail……………..very dumb I know, but I STILL HAVE NOT TOSSED THE WELDING ITEMS. I do hope it was not that lovely shawl you made for your friend!! I hope your holiday week end is a good one.

24. The mail service is in cahoots with the chaos theory people, don’t you think? And even if the package isn’t “damaged” the whole thing can go missing… I’ve never had anything go missing or get damaged that was “tracked” though. It’s been worth the extra $$. Happy knitting.

PainterWomans last blog post..

25. Theresa in Italy says:

Oh man! How awful! I thought that kind of thing only happened over here! That is outrageous. You have very right to whine and complain. And if you still have the energy to file some sort of formal complaint—well, like chicken soup, it couldn’t hurt. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I like the sound of “Six-Pack Socks” even more than “Ninja Socks” (I can relate better to six-packs). I’m sure the pattern tinkering will result in an even more buff and toned sock…!

26. I have to agree that “six-pack socks” fit way more than “ninja” socks. You should create a pair of ninja socks that have crazy cables twisting all over the place. ;)

Purls last blog post..Music Player

27. Victoria says:

That is rubbish about the parcel, I hope it won’t take you too long to rectify the situation and that it was enjoyable enough first time round that you won’t mind doing it again.
    I love the six pack socks! Does the similarity mean you won’t be publishing the pattern for the first sock? If not, I don’t suppose you would point me in the direction of the other version? I don’t want to take business away from you- I would probably buy both patterns! But not to worry if you would rather not.
    Good to see Lucy looking gorgeous as ever x

28. Go ahead and whine! I’ll help! I have very little faith in the PO abilities to deliver. Or even read. Years ago I happened to see the mailman as he was putting mail in the box. I went out to get it & there was a very expensive soft cover book, in a package that said (in very large letters) DO NOT BEND, all rolled up with a rubber band around it. I took the curled up book to the local PO & all they said was ” well the vendor will mail you a new one if you call them”. They just didn’t understand why I was upset! Maybe we should try to mail something that says “please abuse at will” and see if it arrives in pristine condition!!!

BTW I love the socks.

29. Timmie B says:

Whine away!!! Nothing makes me angrier than to lose knitting time or any other time due to somebody else’s stupidity or inefficiency. I’m not a patient person because wait time is time I can use doing something else. Invariably I only have to wait on those days when my “travelling” sock is forgotten at home. Hope things are better today!

30. Whining can be therapeutic — whine away. I have received items through the mail that were identified as “damaged” when “mangled, stomped, crushed and mutilated” more appropriately explained their condition.

31. I LOVE those socks! (sigh)
    Ok…I realize you have to change them, so I’ll wait to see the second one. I’ll probably like it just as well!
    Sorry about the PO crap.
    UPS is just as bad. (Let’s just say I know of two dogs – owned by the same person – who are no longer here b/c *some* UPS drivers shouldn’t be driving.)
    (((hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..Experiments in Lace, Part 1

32. Hi Wendy. Sorry about your package. I would be totally insane about it if it were me. Was it something you purchased and knitting related? Forget it — I would be out of mind crazy about that. I’m a psycho waiting for my packages.

Anyway, I’m currently knitting up your Asparagus socks. :-) I’m having a fabulous time and your knitting instructions are great and I really appreicate your little added notes about casting on and binding off. My question to you is (because I ripped back several times before I was satisified) is after your turn the heel and knit the heel flap, how do you prevent those pesky holes when you pick up those extra stitches where the top of the heel joins the instep? I had to do it several times before I was satisfied, and I’m not even sure how I managed finally. What are your tricks?

Thanks! WendyT

P.S. Lucy is as adorable as ever!

33. Hi Wendy–so sorry to hear your day hasn’t been great and your post office troubles. I really like the six-pack sock! Looking forward to seeing it’s mismatched mate. :-)

34. Do you ever put in a life-line for ripping back to the toe?

35. I run seminars for K-12 teachers, and I’m amazed by how many times I’ve had course materials similarly disappear in the mail. It’s very frustrating, and there is absolutely no recourse. You’re lucky to even get a real person on the phone!

Thanks for sharing a bit about your design process. You are so prolific that I often wonder if you’ve got a fairy godmother helping! But no — you’re just talented that way!

Zhenyas last blog post..Humble Pie