1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

“My Brain Hurts”

“It’ll have to come out.”

(Extra points awarded if you know the source of that quote.)

I spent a good part of today rassling a 25.2 Mb pdf file. A text-based pdf file that is 25.2 Mb in size. No wonder my brain hurts. It’s like dealing with a tap-dancing elephant that in a shoebox. Or something.

Yeah, fun times.

But that was then and this is now, so I’m not thinking about it anymore. I’ll think about it tomorrow. When I have to.

I promised you something silly today, right?

You may have noticed that my web guru recently installed a doo-hickey that puts the number of total comments a commenter has left on my blog in parentheses after said commenter’s name when said commenter leaves a comment. (I think I just invented a new tongue-twister with that sentence.)

Anyhow, a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous unless she wants to “out” herself) recently told me that she hesitates to leave comments now because she’s afraid that her total number of comments on my blog would put her in the stalker category. I responded “Don’t worry about it. Heck, you have to have 500 comments before you get your Junior Stalker Pin.”

So naturally she responded that she wanted a Junior Stalker Pin. Then L-B (who has left more than 500 comments) got in on it and asked why she had not yet received her Junior Stalker Pin.

You know where this is leading, right?

button052108 240x160 My Brain Hurts

Do you qualify for a Junior Stalker Pin? Leave me a comment to see how many comments you’ve left total. (I believe it’s tracked by the email address of the commenter.) If you have left 500 comments or more, email me (using the “contact me” form accessible via the tab at the top of the page) your snail mail addy and I’ll gladly send you your very own junior stalker pin. Should you want one. While supplies last. icon biggrin My Brain Hurts

And I’ll take under advisement other stalker-ish behavior that might qualify you for a pin.

(You do realize that this is a ploy to get more comments, right?)

Okay, was that silly enough for you?

So that this blog post is not utter frivolity, a question from the comments:

WendyT asks:

My question to you is (because I ripped back several times before I was satisfied) is after your turn the heel and knit the heel flap, how do you prevent those pesky holes when you pick up those extra stitches where the top of the heel joins the instep? I had to do it several times before I was satisfied, and I’m not even sure how I managed finally. What are your tricks?

That’s a toughie, because I think the answer is “experience.” For my first umpty-ump pairs of socks knitted I was not satisfied with my picking up of the extra stitch to prevent a pesky hole. I’ve gotten pretty good at it, but it’s hard to say exactly how I do it. I did successfully do it on my stealth sock this morning:

heeljoin052108a 240x160 My Brain Hurts

And here is one of the Costa socks:

heeljoin052108 240x160 My Brain Hurts

After the heel is done, you always have a little gap, because working back and forth on just the heel stitches, you stretch the junction between front and back, and also, I think there is an extra row worked on the back so you’ve got a tiny bit of an edge on the sides of the heel. I always pick up an extra stitch from the middle of the edge stitch on the side of the heel so it looks a bit neater. It I’m anywhere near a camera next time I’m completing a heel (and unfortunately, I’m usually not), I’ll try to document it.

Lucy was not cooperating with the photographer today . . .

lucy052108 240x160 My Brain Hurts

Comments

1. Quote from Cheaper by the Dozen, starring Clifton Webb as the protesting potential patient (tonsils), Myrna Loy and Jeanne Crain (etc.). Right? Thanks for the laugh and the memory.

2. I don’t think I’m up to anywhere near 500. How about ‘ Wendy Knits – I am not a stalker’ pin? That should cover everybody. :)

3. I know I’m not up to 500 comments but I am a champion lurker :)

4. Aussie Rosemary says:

I will never reach Junior Stalker status,but perhaps I can make the first comment

5. I assuredly don’t have 500- maybe not even 5! But I do always look for your hair on the metro, on the off-chance that I leave work early enough to run into a knitting celebrity on my commute home.

I must apologize for that apparently stalker-ish behavior…

signed Orange Line Knitter, Mikaiya

Mikaiyas last blog post..Maryland Sheep and Wool, and a detour

6. I have been practicing that extra stitch to get rid of the hole. That’s the fun of knitting-if it doesn’t work, make it work. That’s a lot of freedom. I really love your blog, but I don’t understand how you have enough time, you do so many things. You must be super-organized.

7. I had/have big issues with holes at that point in socks too. This picture-heavy blog post helped me a bit: http://fiberjinx.wordpress.com/2007/01/17/explication/

8. no pin for me (loyal reader since 2002)

9. I’m nowhere near the 500 comments level (I’m not sure I’ll even break 10), but how about the fact that I stalked you to the Loopy Ewe’s Spring Fling, twisted your arm to be interviewed for our podcast, AND knit not one, not two, but THREE of your Garden Path Socks because the first one didn’t fit (you admitted at the Fling that I was certifiably insane). :-)

And you’ve stumped me on the quote. I hate that.

Tammys last blog post..Recap

10. I know I don’t qualify, but I’ll fall for the ploy anyway cuz I’m a sucker for comment begging or something :P

Beths last blog post..More fun with the rainbow sock

11. One of the reasons I’ve been banging my head against Cat Bordhi’s “sockitectures” trying to get the socks to fit me properly is that the one part that does work, at least on the toe-up socks is that there are no holes anywhere around the heel. That makes me very happy.

aliceqs last blog post..New icon

12. And either I’ve been commenting in my sleep, or that number is way off. :P

Beths last blog post..More fun with the rainbow sock

13. Wait a minute! Don’t we get something for reading everyday even if we don’t comment? Maybe a Faithful Reader pin. I would be willing to pay for that!

Katherines last blog post..I’m Working On It!

14. Michelle says:

Who else is commenting today just to see how many comments they’ve left over the history of the blog?

15. Hey!! I want a stalker button!! I promise to proudly display it!

16. Michelle says:

*boggle*
    Not to rain on this parade, but I’m pretty sure my number’s not right…

17. Aussie Rosemary says:

I found it hard to believe that I had made as many as 23 comments Must have hidden talents such as sleep-computering.

18. Even though I no longer blog, I still visit frequently. I come here for comfort, and I always find it. I think I definitely qualify as a junior stalker simply because I’m stalking you so silently. A true stalker is quiet and creepy like me.

19. I think this may be my *first* comment (I think…?) though I’ve been reading your blog for a long, long time. Guess it’s time to de-lurk! ;) I love the pin. Too.Darn.CUTE!

Mandis last blog post..Just a Heads-Up…

20. I’m nowhere near 500 comments even accounting for the old email address I used to use for my comments.

I tend to use the pick up an extra stitch method of removing the hole in the heel/gusset combo, mostly because I’m too lazy most of the time to swap out the heel for a short row heel.

Seanna Leas last blog post..Dancing along

21. ok – I’m signing in with my OLD email address – let’s see how many that has. I’ll then access my last comment and add the two together to see exactly how many I have :)

More than one way to skin a condundrum!

22. I don’t qualify yet, but I love Lucy.

Such beautiful eyes.

Tiny Tyrants last blog post..Joy Rush

23. obviously I am very far behind – I need to catch up. does emailing you and then stalking you to STL for an interview (which I have yet to finish editing because work is trying to KILL me) count?

Aimees last blog post..Marina

24. I can’t believe nobody knows the quote is from the same people that brought us Whizzo’s Finest Chocolate and Flying Sheep – the Monty Python gang.

Jills last blog post..Alpacas and Llamas and British Shorthairs – oh my!

25. I’m pretty sure I am no where near even a mini-sub-junior level stalker… but I wanted to see! ;)

Kathleens last blog post..I took a vacation

26. I’m not a Junior Stalker, but hopefully I’m not a Junior Lurker either. Lucy probably wasn’t cooperating because she doesn’t have her pin yet. I just got 3 new patterns of yours from Loopy and can’t wait to get started. My first River Ripples turned out great!

27. I’m a reader and have been reading your blog faithfully ever since the Fearless Fairisle sweater (remember that?). I learned to handle two colors, one in each hand thanks to you. So what about a faithful reader pin?

28. I bow at the lack of hole-ness. Everytime I think I have it, 7 rounds later the surprise hole laughs its ass off at me. It is better with toe-up, but still I see some slackage. I guess I’ll just have to perfect by practice. Means I’ll probably have to feed the stash…

29. Beverley says:

Yes, well! Another daily reader but infrequent commenter!!

Humm you should trying struggling with the programme [ Hummingbird] we have at work…urrr.

Cheers

30. I am a loyal lurker but will probably never make 500 comments. Love this place and I learn a lot.

31. Okay, I admit that today I don’t have anything to say. I am just curious about how many times I’ve commented in the past. This is a cool new feature (so is the little title of commenter bloggers’ recent posts, I love that).

32. I’ll bite….but only to add a comment. Sadly, although I’ve read your blog for years now, I don’t comment all that often!

Nancys last blog post..Healing for Yarn Elf

33. NewJerseyLaura says:

Gorgeous heels.

34. Oh, now I am commenting to see how many comments I’ve made, LOL.

35. NewJerseyLaura says:

20 comments! That’s it! 480 to go (well, 479). Note to self: Improve stalking to get button.

36. Will there be “Stalker In Training” pins available?

Aprils last blog post..Upgrade

37. Mr. Gumby!!! I can’t believe no one has put that down yet.

38. I think longevity should count. I’ve been reading you for ages!

Caroles last blog post..10 Minutes A Day

39. I am pretty sure this is my first comment. I guess I just don’t want to sound silly, continuously saying “Wow, how the H### did she do that?”

But you do lovely work, and have a lovely kitty.

Cat

Cats last blog post..What have I been up to? Oh, stuff…

40. I’ve been reading your blog almost every day for years. But, I probably read for a year before I ever got the courage to comment. (Silly me). Actually, your blog was the 1st blog I ever commented on.

Sherrys last blog post..J is for Jellyroll

41. Juanita says:

More comments, huh?? I shall oblige. I stalk you but don’t comment very often. Have I commented?? I wish I had now, I’d at least be halfway there! I know the “Brain hurts” quote, but can’t figure out where it comes from. Honestly, I want the pin because I love your kitty. I want to snorgle with her every time I see a picture of her…Please snorgle her for me. :)

42. OMG – that’s too funny. When I commented the other day and it showed me how many times I had commented – I sort of scared myself. I thought. Oh No! I’m stalking Wendy!!! (Of course, I’ve been reading for 5 years now).

Jennifers last blog post..Felting the Market Squares Bag

43. MzMelly says:

Ok, the only reason I’m de-lurking is cause I see I’m not the only one out there that prefers to read in silent anonimity. But now that I’ve come “out of the ether”, I would like to say that Wendy has been a great inspiration to me, and I’ve learned mucho info! And to think I stumbled on your blog after finding the Kitty Pi pattern several years ago! That being said, your sock patterns ROCK!! (but I have yet to try one…. wimp….).

44. Comment comment comment! I have a long way to go. Can we get a “stalker-in-training” pin (like those miniature shopping carts for kids) too? Or would that seem too…well…stalker-ish?

45. I think the ones who left their first comments today deserve a button that says “Will Comment for Wendyknits Junior Stalker Button”

46. Only 627? What do I get when I reach 1000?
    Will your building security still buzz me in if I’m wearing mine?

47. Hmmmmm, wonder how many comments I have….No where near 500 I bet :-) How bout having 2 boy kitties that have to drool over pictures of Lucy everytime I read your blog do that at least count them as Jr Stalkers Hehehehehe :-)

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..Updated Jaywalker Pics

48. Kathy Sue says:

So, Lucy has her “aloof” days after all.
    I have been reading your blog for 2 years, didn’t comment for a long time. I do love the way your corners come out. But you are the one who taught me to do toe-ups, and I love them with a nice short row heel!

49. JoAnn-WI says:

I know I’m no where near Stalker Status, even though I check your blog daily to see what you’ve created. I only comment when I feel I have something worthy to say. I really like the pin idea! Also, I look forward to you re-stocking your patterns w/TLE. I’m doing my first toe-ups with Pillar of Fire in TLE sock club, and they’re going very well. I feel confident enough now to try one of your patterns soon.

50. Kristi ~ Ohio says:

I too am no where near 500 comments. But it’s funny you post about this…because I was driving to work yesterday wondering for the 100th time if you thought I was a stalker at the Loopy Ewe Spring Fling when I started quoting my favorite parts of your book to you……lol! Does that make me a Jr. Stalker?

51. patricia says:

Call me an aspiring junior stalker.

I pick up 2 extra stitches to close the gap, a la Charlene Scurch. It has worked pretty well for me.

And I think the quote is from Monty Python.

52. What I think is odd is the reverse stalker behavior where it links to my most recent public blog post. :D I seriously doubt I’m anywhere near 500 comments.

Janiss last blog post..wrapped in slithering coils

53. HeatherB says:

I know I’m nowhere near junior stalker or even freshman stocker – wait that’s it – I’m a freshman!! I was a lurking stalker for many many years, I’m just coming out of my shell now. I never felt I had anything I could add, but now you’ve done it, I will comment whether I have anything of value to say or not. ;-D

54. Too funny, all of youse.

The comment thing quite took me aback the first time it came up. Really?? That many? I guess that’s right! (I know it’s not close to 500, though.)
    L-B, I think when you get to 1000, you get the STALKER award, not just the Junior Stalker!

Cathy-Cates last blog post..This Is the Scarf That Never Ends….

55. technikat says:

I’m just a loyal reader with very occasional comments. I’ve learned heaps from reading your blog. I use your generic toe up sock pattern – I’m only on my 4th pair of socks. I love the photos of Lucy. She’s a sweetheart!

56. As for the hole at the top of the gusset, could you do the trick Charlene Schurch uses on her top-down socks, where 2 stitches are picked up from opposite directions and then knit together on the next round? I’ve described the technique badly, but it works really well.

Brendas last blog post..NELOSYS: The start of a new obsession?

57. I agree with other comments. What do we get if we read every day and don’t comment all the time? Hmmm…..I am holding out for an autographed copy of your book when it’s released. I really love your sock patterns. They make sense.

58. Denise in Kent, WA says:

I think HeatherB is on the right track – you need to provide encouragement to the newbies with a freshman stalker pin. And while you’re at it, how about a champion lurker pin? I think I’d qualify for that one! :)

59. Discrimination, I cry! Discrimination! to the terminally shy and/or occasionally intimidated. Could I have a pin for showing up every day? An attendance pin? :D

60. Lynne E. says:

A comment, because I’m a sucker for computer counters, and would like to know how many comments I’ve left. This isn’t as exciting as watching the new program installation bar, though. :-)

61. I know I’m not anywhere close, but it made me really curious to see how many comments I’ve left.

Astabeths last blog post..I Can’t Believe It’s Been So Long

62. Stalker pins. *snort.

p.s. debating if I should make this s t r e t c h and post one word per comment entry. Hmmmm…….

Mos last blog post..The Reel thing

63. There’s nothing wrong with utter frivolity, it’s good for you. :-)

Visionsisters last blog post..Tomorrow may suck.

64. I’m a longtime stalker but very infrequent poster – maybe twice. Will my number reflect that? We’ll see!!

65. Heh, well, I am a sucker for a “please comment” request. So here I am commenting. :)

Nicoles last blog post..Socks, Socks, Socks

66. Alright, I’m curious what mine # is. But I do need to tell you I finished my first toe up!!!! Yeah. I haven’t posted on my blog yet but it is in Ravelry on my projects. Just in case you might want to stalk me??

Pats last blog post..Lot’s of stuff

67. (Oh, and can I say I love the “CommentLuv” feature? It’s awesome.)

Nicoles last blog post..Socks, Socks, Socks

68. I think I’m only somewhere in the 40′s, comment-wise, which surprises me because I’ve been reading your blog for at least 4 years! Will it qualify me for Junior Stalker if I announce that I am on the verge of finishing my Healthy Spine socks, and I keep obsessively checking at the Loopy Ewe to see if they have any of your new patterns yet? :)

juless last blog post..One long sentence

69. Well, I guess I better step up my comments – I’m pretty sure the last time I noticed my count was somewhat puny, lol. : )

Amys last blog post..

70. I stand corrected, lol. 200+ comments probably isn’t considered puny, is it?! : )

Amys last blog post..

71. Not a jr stalker, just a jr lurker – I did buy your book though!

72. darn. I’m never gettin’ a pin.

Saras last blog post..A Cherry Update

73. Hey, I know I have nowhere near like, 20, much less 500, but I’m a certifiable lurker for a year and a half (since I started knitting). Ooooh ooooh, I’ve also bought several of your patterns. :) Love the pin!

Krystals last blog post..No, I shaved the whole clan!

74. It’s not by email, it’s by name. Because someone else named Marji posts comments on your blog and the number of her comments and my comments got combined, so I started leaving my comments as MarjiB to differentiate between us.

MarjiBs last blog post..tag! you’re it.

75. “My bwain hurts” quite often, as a chronic migraineur. I love Monty Python guys when they say “my bwain hurts” and it makes me laugh and that’s always a good thing. I use the method of picking up both back loops of the 2 stitches that face each other across the divide at the corner of the heel/gusset place, and knitting them together. It makes a lovely no-hole place. On the junior stalker front I’ve knit tons of your kitty pi beds and sent you photos of the cats in them. I’m too lazy to leave actual comments, preferring mental comments in the 1000s! ;-p

claires last blog post..Stick with me

76. I’m so curious to see if I am qualified to get a *pin*.
    teehee.
    Thanks for the much needed silliness!

gretas last blog post..Puppy surgery

77. I know I don’t qualify for a pin because I changed email addresses :( :( :(

bellamodens last blog post..a cat’s work is never complete

78. Love the new socks and the pin. I’m going to have to try harder at stalking you :)

LaLas last blog post..Finally, some progress (and I hit the 5 skein mark)

79. Let’s see I’m going to guess….. maybe 20 comments so far.

Thanks for the pictures of the sock transition. I usually just pick something up, next time I’m going to try to make it as neat as those two examples.

Sarah-potterknitters last blog post..In Jail

80. martha in mobile says:

ohhh, I haven’t the faintest how many comments I’ve left…I’m guessing 79. Maybe. Let’s see how far off I am…

81. Only 5???? That can’t be right, maybe editing my name a few weeks ago mixed it up. Oh well, since I’ll never get to 500 anyway, I won’t whine. But it is fun to track it. I always watch on Ravelry to see my post numbers change.

Sarah-potterknitters last blog post..In Jail

82. Hey — I have to ask, if we’re winnin’ stuff now, why does my counter keep getting reset? I am going to post here with my “OLD” name — maybe that is what happened — if so, whoops and I take it back — but even if not, I am sure I have left more than two comments as TheSockKnitter (with the same email address on all)….see how much I love your blog, I am looking to be labeled a STALKER for the love of yarn!

TheKnittingAddicts last blog post..What AWESOME Service! DIVA KNITTING :)

83. I just wanted to see what happens with this now ;)

SockKnitters last blog post..What AWESOME Service! DIVA KNITTING :)

84. I’m pretty sure that I already spend too much time in blog-land. One of my must-do stops is always to check on Lucy!

Dianes last blog post..110% Chance of Rain

85. I love the Mr. Gumby skits!! My friend Beth and I use that one quite a bit. DOCTOR! DOCTOR! Those boots and the handkerchief on the head. Priceless! St. Looney of the Cream Bun and Jam. I’m a lumberjack and I’m OK. All classics!!

86. Okay, what’s my number? Probably not to many, but I too am a loyal reader. Made the KittyPi bed for Bandido when we adopted him from Mexico. My Pudgie Mocha could be Lucy’s older cousin. And will make my first pair of toe up socks from STR Lucy.

87. Will all these new socks be in your upcoming … forthcoming … err … as-of-yet-unpublished-but-soon-to-be … book? Or will that be other stuff that we’re not even seeing here?

Daves last blog post..Kaleidoscope # 1

88. Ha ha! Experience. What a great answer. And sometimes even the experienced have to do an after -knitting fix. I always THINK I’ve eliminated that pesky little hole, but sometimes I’m surprised. I won’t rip back to mess with it though; I’ve learned from experience the futility of that! Just fix it when finished.

Sandra Ds last blog post..Locally……

89. I wonder if it’s changed, because I remember leaving a comment on your blog and being surprised by a really high number next to my name, like in the 900s, and I know I have not left that many comments on your blog, so I thought maybe it was total comments I’ve ever left, scattered around the web. But now I’m curious to see what # I’ve got, because I usually just lurk and only ever remember responding to a wheel question. ..

90. Well, that’s really weird. Did I fall asleep one day on the submit button and spam you with the same comment over and over and over and over and over…if so, sorry! Eek! I know you’ve been blogging for longer than I can remember and I’ve been reading for longer than I can remember but…ugh. My brain hurts. ;)

Wendys last blog post..Dear Etsy

91. I know I’m a lightweight. But I comment anyway.

Dianas last blog post..Brownie Camporee

92. Guess, I should delurk more often. For a non-blogging knitter, I believe I have accumulated three comments. Now that I have an incentive, I won’t keep my questions to myself!

Hi Lucy.

93. Well, I’m much more of a lurker than a stalker, but I am curious to see how many comments I’ve left…

94. I’m another one who is commenting today to see how many comments I have. Hi Wendy!

95. *sigh* no junior stalker pin for me…I do believe I qualify for the title of Junior Worshipper though, loyal lurker since 2002! w00t!!

96. No pin for me either — I always pick up an extra stitch or two at the heal as well

97. Jenn C. says:

Now I have to comment, just to see how many (few) I’ve left. I almostnever comment, but I do almost always read!

98. I meant to spell it as “heel”, but when I tried to correct it – but your new comment program wanted to detect a duplicate comment….that’s kind cool too!

99. Mama Cat says:

Hmm, I don’t think I come close to qualifying as a stalker. But you DID talk about my comment about lunchboxes once, and you’ve mentioned at least one (maybe two or three) of my questions. :-)

I lurk a lot more than comment though. I’m here just about every day.

100. I don’t know if I am a blog stalker but I am a Wendy pattern stalker at the Loopy Ewe. I have dropped by several times a day for the last 1.5 weeks looking for Twisted Logic and Costa with no luck. Bah humbug, I want those socks!