1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

My Brain Still Hurts

This has simply not been my week.

I get to work this morning, log onto my computer, and am inundated with error messages. Some time between logging out last night and logging on this morning, the drivers for my display, network card, DVD drive, USB drives, and other assorted stuff became corrupted. Four hours after I called them, someone from the IT department showed up and took my computer away, threatening to re-image it. And believe me, these people do not inspire trust.

Because I could not do any work, I left the office at noon and came home. I already had leave scheduled for tomorrow, so I won’t be back to work until Tuesday. And you know what? I’m not going to think about my dead computer over the long weekend. Tuesday is soon enough to think about it.

So I got an unexpected early start to my weekend. That’s not a bad thing.

Wow, what a response to the comment counter. Thanks to everyone who commented and a special thanks to you delurkers!

I think you must be right — it tracks number of comments by name, not by email address. (I’m not sure where I got that idea.) So any commenter named Susan gets credit for all the Susans who comment. Oh well, it is all in fun, anyhow.

I really surprised Miss Lucy by coming home early today, but she quickly adjusted.

lucy052208 240x160 My Brain Still Hurts

By the way, the remote control she had in yesterday’s photo? It is this one:

remote052208 240x160 My Brain Still Hurts

That controls a fan. So the KOARC is not overly concerned with it. icon wink My Brain Still Hurts

Just to get some knitting content in here, here’s my Six-Pack Sock:

sixpacksock052208 240x160 My Brain Still Hurts

Do you see what I did? I split the center motif and moved the halves to each side of the sock and put a new smaller motif in the center. After I turn the heel, the formerly center motif will continue up the side of the sock, and the other half of each side will be on the back of the sock, so there will be a full motif on each side of the sock. I think it’ll look even nicer that way. Next time you see it I should be past the heel so you can better see what I’m striving for.

Okie doke — I’ll be back on Sunday to talk about my weekend hijinks. And I’m gonna have something awesome to give away!

Comments

1. “Some time between logging out last night and logging on this morning, the drivers for my display, network card, DVD drive, USB drives, and other assorted stuff became corrupted.”

That sentence is a perfect example of why there is “hate” in my love-hate relationship with computers. How do these things happen? Me no get it.

ccr in MAs last blog post..The crafty side of England

2. JoAnn-WI says:

I like the looks of the 2nd sock over the 1st. That’s just my de-lurking opinon. Can’t wait to see the completed version.

Lucy sure looks like all- is- right- with- the- world on your early arrival. Good for you in leaving work behind – I never think of my job when I’m not there either – it’s just not worth it – too much else to contend with.

3. Well, I just have to try out that Susan thing now, don’t I.

4. I work in IT and those things are never good :^\

I agree your sox are coming along beautifully. I just wish I could make just a pair or two as well as you….I know….practice…….

Thanks for the entertaining site (thanks to Lucy too. I always love to see what she is up to)

5. How nice to have an unexpected longer weekend–MY boss would have made me take that as vacation, computer problems or no… I like the changes to the sock! Can’t wait to see what you post Sunday! One of these days, I’m going to win something. It would help if the rest of you just wouldn’t post anything, ok? :-)

6. patricia says:

What a nice mid-day surprise!

The socks look great!

7. I think weekend hijinx are fabulous! I had some last weekend that included a gallon sized pitcher of Sangria and some fun friends! Yay!

I noticed after my first post that it tracked visitors by name. It told me I had commented over 40 times. I had to think about that for a minute… That’s why I am Megan S!

Still lovin’ the socks!!!

Megan S.s last blog post..Learning Through Frog-osis

8. Better a dead work computer than a dead home computer. Enjoy your long weekend!

Caroles last blog post..Bean Salad

9. My three fuzzy boys also seem surprised when I come home early. As if I’m interrupting the important work (napping) that they were doing.
    This’ll be comment #1 for me, gotta start somewhere!

Samoofishs last blog post..Wisconsin Trip #6: Big Browns and Beautiful Brookies

10. Love the sock the new way. Looking forward to seeing finished sock. Good for you, going home today. Hope you and Lucy have a great safe weekend.

11. Your the second person TODAY that’s had that problem with the computer. (Luckily, I am NOT the other one.)
    Have a great weekend, and I hope you get so knit and spin lots.

Dave Danielss last blog post..Kitty Butt and Handspun Yarn

12. Susan L (knitsnknishes) says:

OK, gotta see if it can differentiate between “Susan” and “Susan L (knitsnknishes)”; I’m the latter. I know I’m nowhere near 500 posts, & don’t know if I’m too late for consideration (under alternate criteria) as a junior stalker… But does having you see all the pics of my 3 kitties & 2 dogs that are on my camera’s memory card (at the Spring Fling) count? And/or being your cross-the-county-neighbor? :) Love the Six Pack socks, by the way – and share your frustration with work computers & IT departments!

13. Timmie B says:

Glad you’re getting to “drain your brain” early. Give it some rest this weekend so it’ll stop hurting. I like the idea of the six-pack “ripples” rippling to the back. Have a fun, safe weekend.

14. Susan L says:

OK, so your blog didn’t recognize me from my previous post (with “(knitsnknishes)” after my name, and I *know* I’ve posted before, so let’s see what happens when I just include my name!

15. Sorry about the evil computer gods but SQUEEE about the weekend!

Unfortunately we have a little on/off remote for our gas fireplace, and our australian terrier has figured out how to work it, so it’s been put away.

16. i’m having a terrible week too. i’m sad it’s not isolated to just me.

oh dear that’s a long response time. i’m the it goddess (aka manager) for one office and we apologize greatly if the users have to wait more than 5-10 minutes for one of us [we are two] to come figure out what’s doing wrong. after normal business hours the wait time goes up but … hmm.. i probably could’ve hopped on a train [from nyc] and looked at your computer in that time. while i can see their point of view about reimaging, i feel that mind set is often a sledge hammer and isn’t useful for anyone. i’m trying to think of a knitting explanation but my head hurts lots too. :(
    may this unexpected start to the weekend lead to better and happier things!!

pennys last blog post..comparison

17. that is one cool looking sock…the new editon of the “six-pack”. The idea of splitting the center motif, adding a new small set in between…way cool. you rock
    connie in kannapolis, nc

18. I miss a day and miss all the fun. But I also know I’m no where near 500, because I’m a lurker at heart. Does still having a Wendy Knits Minion shirt count as stalkerish activity?

Ann in CTs last blog post..Becoming Well Heeled

19. Heather says:

I can’t wait to see further work on that sock – what a neat idea! You’re so creative – I wish some of that creativity would seep through over the innerwebs. (Also, I thought I’d put my name in as just Heather, instead of HeatherB — just in case there are any other Heather comments out there I can piggy back on) ;-)

20. HeatherB says:

Woohoo – would ya look at that! Still not Jr. Stalker status, but a huuuge jump!

21. Lets just see how many I get as just plain ol’danielle :-)

Danielles last blog post..This Blog Post Brought to You by…

22. All right, that’s it: all my life people have been mispronouncing my name and looking at me funny while asking how to spell it. Providing a mnemonic in the form of a blog name has helped, but not enough. This, however, is the last straw: I’m changing my name to Susan.

Lovely socks. We knew you could do it.

Lucias last blog post..Campaign Poster

23. Way cool regarding the new sock trick! It’s gorgeous even in its infancy. Enjoy the slightly long weekend!

Sandra Ds last blog post..Locally……

24. P.S. Is there any way to get the comment thingie to remember me?

Lucias last blog post..Campaign Poster

25. Sorry to hear about your computer issues. Yes re-imaging it is easier for them then actually finding and fixing the problem, urg.

Love the sock, can’t wait to see more. Hope you have a great weekend.

26. I think it actually went down :-) Anyways, congrats on getting to start your weekend early! Lucy seems to have made the adjustment rather well. Did she look at you and ask…”And just what took you so long getting home to me?”Thats what my purrkids woulda done LOL!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..This Blog Post Brought to You by…

27. Congratulations on having a long weekend to chill your fried brain. I love the new sock, very clever design. And I’m sure Lucy was overjoyed to have you come home early. Bet she was hungry.

28. Hej Wendy!
    Having your computer taken away by IT-guys must have been really scary.
    You certainly need a long weekend to recover from that experience.

And do you think it would be possible to knit a whole Sixpack Body Sock that would save me from having go to the gym?

Johannes last blog post..The Best Place to Knit

29. I’ve had corrupted profiles before (and other similar problems to what you’ve got going on), and it just drove me completely bonkers. The worst I experienced was a day when it wouldn’t let me log on. I was relatively new to the job and I had this horrible thought that they were going to stealth fire me. Wooee. That was not my best day ever.

Seanna Leas last blog post..here’s a monkey, there’s a monkey

30. Anne from Norcross says:

Sounds like the microsoft SP3 problems. If all they do is re-image you, then the same thing could happen when they try to install that upgrade. I hope your computer support team are good, though with a response time like that it may be a long shot.

31. I like the second sock even better! It seems, to my simple mind, that it flows better. I can hardly wait to see the whole thing.

32. Cindy Harris says:

Hi Wendy! OK – I’m a lurker. I don’t comment because I consider myself no-tech or low-tech and usually mess something up! Love and appreciate your blog, your spectacular knitting, and that darling Lucy! Lived in Boston for five years, so enjoy some east coast atmosphere now that I’m back in the midwest. At the last job I had, the IT people couldn’t believe the mess I/my computer could get into. 90% of the time they swore it wasn’t my fault, but they just couldn’t understand how I seemed to have such luck! See why I should remain a lurker?! My comments are tooooooo long – thanks, and take care!

33. Awesome! I am gonna get credit for all the other Helen’s out there! I actually have an idea for getting that Jr Stalker pin. I think you will like it.

The new sock looks great but I am loving the color!

34. The sock looks great but what is the yarn?

Okay Lucy, turn the fan on HIGH!

35. Well, since I am likely the only commenter named L-B, I earned my Wendyknits Junior Stalker Button all on my own.

36. Testing your theory here since Lucky cat uses my email address! ;-)
    Will this show far fewer than 629?

37. I have to see how many times I have commented. Not as often as I read. Love Lucy too. Sometimes I read to just see her, Sorry Wendy. You are the greatest.

38. Charmaine says:

That is great you get an early start to your weekend. An extra day for knitting. I was called into work today..so you were lucky!!! Those socks are beautiful..can’t wait to see past the heel turn..enjoy your MAMA Lucy!

39. ChristyH says:

The socks will be so cool. I am totally computer illiterate for the programming stuff so that would make my brain hurt. Nice to start your time off early though.

40. Logging on and logging off – you know who else is into logging….Lumberjacks – and that’s OK!
    Hope your computer traumas have a successful end and enjoy your extra kitty time.

Jills last blog post..Alpacas and Llamas and British Shorthairs – oh my!

41. Carolyn says:

I think your computer infected mine – my e-mail refused to work, my internet refused to work, my image center refused to work and then my headset crapped out. And did I get to leave early? No, I had to stay and enjoy the torture. Oh well. It was sort of funny, sort of. :o)

42. Barbara-Kay says:

Well, you certainly have begun an interesting sock. This long weekend is perfect timing to have a sock going. We await developments!

43. Sometimes poor usb drives can just straight-up clunk out on ya. SanDisk and western digital roll out a pretty good one. Have a looksee if you get a sec. http://www.memorysuppliers.com/usbflashdrives.html

44. Dr. Jackie says:

Love the sock. And the yarn. Gonna have to march on over to TLE for some Smooshy (and the pattern…soon as you send it out)!

Do not get me started on computer issues. Suffice it to say that I have been dealing with my NON-service provider for 3 days straight. They woke me up this morning after I had been in the ER until 1:30 am last night. Said they were coming to my house at 10:30 and I’d better be ready. At 11:00 they called to tell me the guy was in my driveway and he was getting mad because I didn’t answer the door. I looked. No guy. Turns out they sent the service truck out to a home in South Carolina. I live in Missouri. FPS.

45. Marietta says:

Oh, fun – - I should get a pin – - I’m the epitome of a “Junior Stalker” – - always here . . . reading quietly . . . never (until now) heard. . . . . ………
    Now – love the 2nd sock!!!
    Marietta (hmmm – wonder how many of those have commented. . .)

46. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. We USED to have an I/S dept that inspired trust, but no more – they outsourced it. Doesn’t that just beat all? And it was a well run I/S dept. Oh well. Such is life. I’m off for four days too. HOORAY :-) Lucy will just love to have you around to “sit on”. Love the sock – especially the color. Lucy is too darling! Enjoy your days off! luv.m.

47. I didn’t comment in that other post because I didn’t want it to get a swelled head, but I believe, as the de facto president of the Teddy Fan Club, I get a Stalker Fan thingy Button.

Please?

Either that or more Teddy? All Teddy all the time?

48. Ooohhh, the redo is even prettier…I love the sock and the color. Have a wonderful holiday weekend…no antics for me, I am a night hospital worker and will be on for the entirety so I look forward to tales of your hijinx.

Cheryls last blog post..Inspiration

49. Not even close to junior stalker

Cheryls last blog post..Inspiration

50. Can I have a Master Lurker pin? I have been quietly in the shadows since the beginning…

Cassandras last blog post..Knitting with pets and without lights

51. Very clever sock. Sorry about your computer but hey, score on the long weekend!

millys last blog post..Dogs on Thursday

52. I bet I’m not getting credit for anyone else’s comments!

Mandellas last blog post..Spring has sprung

53. ahhh – computer problems – the things that keep me employed so that I can keep knitting your sock patterns :-)

Karens last blog post..

54. Eep! Sorry about the computer. That’s never fun. Loving the new sock. Hope you have an excellent (even longer) long weekend!

Jessicas last blog post..I made it!

55. Love the sock, love the cat and love the fact you got to come home early….I am going to stop lurking and start commenting now…

56. Have you ever watched the british tv show, IT Crowd? I think you might love it. It’s not on DVD anywhere (that I know of) but it’s pretty easy to download and there are clips on youtube.

elizabeths last blog post..Not-That-Cute Jaywalkers!

57. Allyson says:

I worked at a place whre they threatened to “re-ghost” – it was horrifying!

58. Your ability to design and redesign socks amazes me. I still haven’t knit my first pair – though I’ve got the yarn. ;-0 Good luck with your computer. I got the gray screen of death on my office computer last fall – boss wasn’t ready to upgrade the office and the computer I had (a Mac) was no longer available. He got me a new one the size of CD, about two inches thick. I like small. But I would rather have had the latest Mac!

59. LOL! My computer died at work on Friday too. They will have a new Motherboard on Tuesday, after the three day weekend.

Charless last blog post..On My Needles