1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

You People Sure Can Haiku

Thanks for all the great entries in the haiku contest I’ve received thus far. You people are very talented, I must say. Remember, you have til midnight Eastern Time on Thursday to enter — leave your entry in the comments for yesterday’s post.

I’ve got two judges: one knitter and one non-knitter. They will be submitting their top picks from among the entries, and I’ll create a poll with those entries for Sunday’s post and you all can vote for your favorite.

It’s all very scientific, you know?

I have a new sock design on the needles.

twistybits052708 240x160 You People Sure Can Haiku

I spent part of Saturday and all day Sunday fiddling with new sock patterns and by Sunday night had tweaked this one to my satisfaction. It is being knit from Fleece Artist Merino in the “Aegean” colorway, and I’m knitting the non-twisty bits with a 2mm needle and the twisty bits with a 2.5mm needle. It’s a very entertaining knit, because you do little cable twists on every other row. That also makes it a somewhat slow knit. But that’s okay.

I had a couple of names in mind for the pattern, but while writing this, I realized that now and forever, I will think of this pattern as “Twisty Bits Socks.” So be it.

twistybitsa052708 234x240 You People Sure Can Haiku

I went back to work today and was pleasantly surprised to find my ailing computer back in my office. It booted up, I logged on, no problems. But all my data and settings were gone. They had backed it all off onto a portable drive, but it took my five hours and numerous phone calls to get someone to bring the freaking drive down and restore my data.

When I left the office, all my data was restored and I was working on restoring all my program settings.

It’s like a Festivus miracle.

lucy052708 240x160 You People Sure Can Haiku

Comments

1. HeatherB says:

Verrrry pretty sock – again. :-) Glad to hear your computer is on its way to being back to normal. That’s the one thing I hate when we get new laptops at work – reloading non-standard company software and putting all my settings back – ugh!

2. Beautiful!!! I’l be buying this one too if it doesn’t sell out before I get to it like the others did.

3. Shirley, in PA says:

Love the newest sock. And that blue! Did you notice it matches Lucy’s eyes.

4. Your new pattern is fabulous. And so is that blue color.

Samoofishs last blog post..Wisconsin Trip #7: March of the Mosquitos

5. I enjoyed reading the entries, too! That was the first haiku I’ve ever written. And, just love your latest sock! : )

Amys last blog post..I still have too much stuff…

6. Patricia says:

Love that color blue- Aegean is an appropriate name.

Love the sock pattern too!

7. Beverley says:

Yes well …!!! I had a computer upgrade yesterday and it only took all day and a couple of hissy fits [ who me!! ] to get them to get it going and loaded correctly. What I said about IT was fairly unprintable.

Then of course we now have an upgrade to our operating system , that they didn’t tell us about and of course there are a few “minor” differences to how data is imputed. Just minor you know…!!

Cheers at least knitting is reliable… and you can always rip >^..^<

8. Did you participate in the Feats of Strength or the Airing of Grievances? Or both? :)

Love the Twisty Bits!

juless last blog post..Sunday

9. Juliette says:

The new sock should be called Waffler. But hey.

10. Just read all the Haiku… good luck to the judges! Socks are great, thanks for the tutorial on no-hole gussets.

Pattis last blog post..Trains at Bob and Teri Guys May 2th, 2008

11. Kathy Sue says:

Beautiful sock, especially the color. The pattern looks like it would go with the “Koolhaas” hat.

12. I love that blue! It will look great with jeans or just about anything else.

Janes last blog post..A MeMe Redux

13. It’s like Koolhaas, but in a sock! Very pretty.

Heathers last blog post..RSC March Kit

14. ellen in indy says:

computers: can’t live with ‘em, can’t smash ‘em to smithereens . . .
    i’m hoping i can retire before our company’s next “upgrade.” (of course, the above derogatory remarks don’t apply to my beloved mac, only to the members of the accursed pc tribe.)

15. Pensguys says:

I REALLY like that sock.

16. Haiku writer I’m not!!! I always hated writing poetry. I really really like the new sock. I will definitely be buying that pattern. Gotta go the dog’s eating what looks like a knitting pattern. How’d she get that?!

timmie bs last blog post..Fiber Festival in the Back of Beyond

17. And now, the FEATS (feets?) OF STRENGTH!

heather ts last blog post..In Which I Promote Someone Else’s Blog…

18. Love the 6-Pack Socks and the Twisty Bits! Cant wait till they are both available at TLE!! I agree the Aegean Blue is def a very close if not the same color as Miss Lucy’s eyes :-)

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..Pictures? I Haz Them…Socks? They are on the way!

19. I love that sock. Unfortunately I have a bit of a sock problem… I like them once they are knit, I just have a hard time completing a pair. It’s very inspirational to watch you knit pair after pair!

courtneys last blog post..Knitting infidelity the second, no, third

20. Theresa in Italy says:

Twisty Bits is great, I’ll be stalking that one as well. And yes, I meant to thank you for yesterday’s tutorial on how to get rid of the holes at the heels—it helps so much to see a picture or six of exactly how to do it—but I was too distracted counting syllables. (At least you didn’t ask us to submit sonnets!)

21. Twisty Bits socks are very pretty. The computer problem sucks. My computer has completely crashed three or four times in the past year and just did it again this morning. I dread having to reinstall everything, because I have a number of specialized programs I work with and reinstalling everything is a major, hours and days consuming task.
    Bottom line is: I feel yur pain.

Best to you and the Lucy girl,
    firefly

22. Love the Twisty Bits – will definitely be knitting those once I can get hold of the pattern!

23. That is a beautiful design–and thanks so much for posting your technique for eliminating the holes. I’ve tried Charlene Schurch’s method,which worked well, and I actually haven’t had problems when I knitted basic socks on my own. But your method is so predictable that I think it will become the one I use.

24. I love the sock!!! Twisty Bits…too pretty.
    Glad the computer is (finally) back together and functional…
    (((hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..All Good Things Must Come To An End, Right?

25. Good move. You know we were all going to call them the “twisty bits” socks anyway, eh?

Cute socks. Lucy thinks they go with her eyes!

26. Sandy in South Dakota says:

Well, then I guess we should say “Happy Festivus”. LOL I’m not sure what date Kraemer actually set as Festivus. Might have to go look at that episode again. Very pretty sock and very pretty Miss Lucy.

27. Hey Wendy and Lucy! Your new sock in progress is so pretty! I just bought one of your patterns from The Loopy Ewe along with a skein of georgeous yarn from Gypsy Knits. I keep telling myself – - no more yarn – -you have enough yarn to knit socks for years – - but then another sneak-up occurs and I can’t help myself. Sigh. As I’m plugging in my credit card I tell myself “you need help”.

Question: When you pick up a stitch with your left needle do you *knit* it to the right needle or do you simply *slip* it to the right needle. I’m a self taught knitter and from what I’ve learned (and have applied to socks) is when you pick up and knit a stitch you are not actually knitting that picked up stitch initally, and knit when you come around but now I’m figuring out that with socks and picking up between the heel flap and instep that perhaps you do? I did it last night and low and behold there is no pesky hole on one side of my sock and the other side has a very teeny hole. Is this what you do?

WendyT

28. I certainly love the color of the socks, and the pattern is beautiful. I can’t wait to see the final product!

29. Wendy- Where would we be without Seinfeld? Festivus for the Rest of Us was sheer brilliance.

Lorraines last blog post..Techno Tard

30. I *really* like this new pattern. It reminds me of a latticed stained glass window.

31. Sharon G says:

I feel your pain with the computer problems. We had a system “upgrade” last week. Everyday since then, something doesn’t work right, and when they “fix” it, it makes something else not work right. Aaarrrgggghhhhh!

Love the new sock!

32. I’m usually of the “use free sock patterns” camp, since there are so many great ones out there, but I think I’ll be snatching this one up when it’s published. I love these twisty socks!

33. Beautiful!! That blue is stunning!

Neuroknitters last blog post..You are my sunshine

34. I think this is my favorite sock yet! I love the itty bitty cables.

Nicoles last blog post..WIP: Work In Pictures

35. Those twisty socks are indeed the cat’s meow! Very nice. I’ll look forward to seeing more of them.

And thanks for mentioning the Festivus miracle. I had to google that to find out the reference. Being tv-less (by choice), I hadn’t heard of this lovely holiday and its customs. Learn something new all the time!

36. Love the Twisty Bits socks and the colorway! Computers…what a pain they can be. Every time mine has problems I think, well I could work on…no can’t do that, oh I could work on…no can’t do that either, because it’s ALL on the computer! When I think back to the days of ‘plain’ phones and unfancy typewriters and pads of paper and pens…it’s a wonder we were able to accomplish anything…LOL. Of course, my typewriter rarely crashed either, come to think of it.

37. Love the new sock and really love Twisty Bits for a name. As the child of an IT person I will tell you this, if you ever feel really wicked call them and ask them to help you find a file missing from your desktop. (of course later reveal the desktop you speak of is solid and the file is of the paper kind. They love that ;)

Julie the Hippies last blog post..Happy Earth Day!

38. Great new sock pattern. I’m such a sucker for a good cabled design.

Stephanies last blog post..Sleeves Suck

39. I don’t haiku, but I love the new socks!

Marions last blog post..Inspired

40. I can’t wait for this pattern to be available — it’s stunning!

Zhenyas last blog post..Experimenting With Color

41. I love the looks of the socks. I just told a friend about them. I bet she will be stopping by soon to check them out.

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Thursday, Tried and True

42. I love the Festivus holiday, but none of my relatives are up for it :-).

Belinda Gilibertis last blog post..Well, well, well, where the hell have I been?